Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pic of Mosley/Cotto and the cake
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
Not sure if you guys saw this picture yet but it's over at fightnews - what do you think of it? Basically it's a picture of Mosley and Cotto posing over top a cake, and on the cake is a picture of Mosley laying on the mat and Cotto standing over him.

Maybe I'm making a big issue out of nothing, but doesn't this seem kind of strange to you guys? I mean if I'm Mosley, I'm not going to pose next to a cake featuring my ass knocked out and my opponent to be standing over me. I've never seen something like this before and was just curious what everyone thought of it.

I think Mosley is giving the impression that he's going to the fight to lose, while I think that is completely not the case (I'm picking Mosley to win BTW).

Maxy
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 6 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]356311[/snapback]
Not sure if you guys saw this picture yet but it's over at fightnews - what do you think of it? Basically it's a picture of Mosley and Cotto posing over top a cake, and on the cake is a picture of Mosley laying on the mat and Cotto standing over him.

Maybe I'm making a big issue out of nothing, but doesn't this seem kind of strange to you guys? I mean if I'm Mosley, I'm not going to pose next to a cake featuring my ass knocked out and my opponent to be standing over me. I've never seen something like this before and was just curious what everyone thought of it.

I think Mosley is giving the impression that he's going to the fight to lose, while I think that is completely not the case (I'm picking Mosley to win BTW).

I think you're making a big issue out of nothing. Cotto brought the cake to the press conference and presented it to Mosley. This picture you're talking about looks kinda jovial. Neither of these two are going to do a "Mayorga" and start going ballistic at the conference. The fight sells itself and a guy like Mosley is too long in the tooth to let something like this bother him, hence the picture.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Maxy @ Sep 6 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]356314[/snapback]
I think you're making a big issue out of nothing. Cotto brought the cake to the press conference and presented it to Mosley. This picture you're talking about looks kinda jovial. Neither of these two are going to do a "Mayorga" and start going ballistic at the conference. The fight sells itself and a guy like Mosley is too long in the tooth to let something like this bother him, hence the picture.

I understand that - I wouldn't expect Mosley to pull a "Mayorga" or anything, but if I were him I wouldn't pose in front of something depicting my demise.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 6 2007, 03:37 PM) [snapback]356315[/snapback]
I understand that - I wouldn't expect Mosley to pull a "Mayorga" or anything, but if I were him I wouldn't pose in front of something depicting my demise.

I am with you on that, I just think Mosley is just too damn nice all the time. He is always polite and respectful to people, I wish he had a little bit more of a meaness to him, if that makes any sense. Shit, Cotto is the one who is gonna be on the canvas permanently in this fight!
Nay_Sayer
When Mosley saw that cake he probably thought to himself, "This guy is punchdrunk!" In Shane's mind the gesture was probably more comical than insulting. No way does Cotto come close to KOing Shane. Not gonna happen...
Mean Mister Mustard
Like Lightsout and Maxy said, Mosley is just too much of a nice guy to get riled up about a cake. You wouldn't pose with the Cake Brutal but that's Mosley for you. Just too damn laid back.

By the way, I would not pose with the cake either. I would eat a piece but not pose with it.
BrutalBodyShots
If I were to have a picture taken with that cake I'd have a gesture suggesting the cake was BS... shaking my head, pointing at Cotto and doing a cut-throat gesture, etc... but again that is me and anything aside from smiling for the cameras would be out of his element for Mosley.

BigG
Yeah, it would be hard to get riled up over a cake. And besides, like the rest said, Mosley is too classy and too much of a nice guy. It's gonna be a war, I got Cotto.
Southeastpaw
I agree with Fitz. I mean, fighters say that they are going to go and knock their opponent out all the time, yet they have nothing against them as a person. These two are two of the most respectable guys in the sport. I think it was actually respectful in a sense and would have been a little disrespectful if Shane refused to pose with the cake.
Sandokan32
Did anyone notice how Mosley is actually taller than Cotto? I donīt remember the last time when Mosley was actually the bigger man in a fight. And i think heīll be heavier than Cotto by fight night... Mosley is coingo to destroy Cotto.
Jack 1000
It's just a promotional gig IMO, nothing more and nothing less. This fight will do well enough. It needs no gimmicks for support, which will be huge for both fighters. Take Cotto-Judah now magnify it 5x and you have Cotto-Mosley.

This match sells itself.

Jack

PS. It's even more interesting to envision how this fight would have done if Mosley was in his prime!
singletrack
The cake accomplished its purpose...people are talking about it and Shane thought it was funny. These are two world class athletes, they aren't street thugs or insecure little boys, so they don't need to hate each other to go in there and perform.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Sandokan32 @ Sep 6 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]356345[/snapback]
Did anyone notice how Mosley is actually taller than Cotto? I donīt remember the last time when Mosley was actually the bigger man in a fight.

I actually touched on this in the preview thread or whatever it was a month or so back when we were talking about this fight. I believe the last time Mosley faced a smaller man was when he leveled Adrian Stone many years ago.

Tha Docta
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 7 2007, 05:32 AM) [snapback]356369[/snapback]
I can't wait for this fight, and it's funny I have always like Mosley as a fighter and a person, so it may be hard for you's to understand, but I never got excited for Mosley's fights for some reason. There is just something about him that doesn't create the buzz I get for most other big named fighters, and I'm not sure why as I like watching him, and he is a real likable guy. So this probably doesn't make much sense to many others, lol. But anyways, my point is, that this time I am actually excited for a Mosley fight and do have that buzz I have had for many other fights.
I like both fighters, so this is great as a fan so I can't really lose. But Mosley is at the tail end of his career so for the sport, it would probably be better for boxing if Cotto was to get up and continue as he is in his prime and set up more mega fights, but that's the only reason I have as to why it may be a little better for the sport if Cotto was to get up. Though, to be honest I really don't care who wins.

cotto is gonna get a good old fashioned ass kicking here, and it will still be great for the sport. i expect an action packed fight but i dont see anyway for cotto to win this fight. i think he gets knocked out for sure.
BigG
Even if Cotto losses, he will be dishing out some brutal punishment.
singletrack
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 7 2007, 09:42 AM) [snapback]356374[/snapback]
I'm not disagreeing with you that Mosley may win, but Cotto isn't getting an ass kicking.

QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 7 2007, 10:05 AM) [snapback]356375[/snapback]
Even if Cotto losses, he will be dishing out some brutal punishment.

Exactly. Unless Shane crushes Cotto and knocks him out early, there is zero chance of him dishing out punishment with no answer from Cotto. Shane said he isn't going to run, and I believe him, which is why I think he has a very small chance of winning short of KOing Cotto in the first half of the fight.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(singletrack @ Sep 7 2007, 11:01 AM) [snapback]356383[/snapback]
Exactly. Unless Shane crushes Cotto and knocks him out early, there is zero chance of him dishing out punishment with no answer from Cotto. Shane said he isn't going to run, and I believe him, which is why I think he has a very small chance of winning short of KOing Cotto in the first half of the fight.

so the ironman that is zab judah slugs it out with cotto for that long but mosely has no chance unless he gets an early KO? shane is going to terrorize cotto in this fight. for once shane will be the one with the size advantage in the ring. that is bad news for cotto. shane has just about every advantage in this fight.
singletrack
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Sep 7 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]356387[/snapback]
so the ironman that is zab judah slugs it out with cotto for that long but mosely has no chance unless he gets an early KO?

I said that I think he has a "very small chance" if he doesn't knock Cotto out early. I don't understand your statement about Zab.

shane is going to terrorize cotto in this fight. for once shane will be the one with the size advantage in the ring. that is bad news for cotto. shane has just about every advantage in this fight.

Actually, if you watch the video that FH posted, Shane admits that he thinks Cotto will be bigger on fight night. We also don't know who is actually stronger. Shane shows Cotto a lot more respect than you do, maybe that should clue you in on something.

Do you have something against capital letters?
Tha Docta
QUOTE(singletrack @ Sep 7 2007, 01:57 PM) [snapback]356406[/snapback]
I said that I think he has a "very small chance" if he doesn't knock Cotto out early. I don't understand your statement about Zab.
Actually, if you watch the video that FH posted, Shane admits that he thinks Cotto will be bigger on fight night. We also don't know who is actually stronger. Shane shows Cotto a lot more respect than you do, maybe that should clue you in on something.

Do you have something against capital letters?

shane has shown respect to every single fighter hes faced. thats the way he is, respectful. he also said he wouldnt knock cotto out early because he wanted the fans to get their moneys worth. cottos strength isnt going to be anything that shane hasnt seen before.

and please do something about your run on sentences. quit using all those commas and use a period every once in a while.

nevermind, i dont really give a shit about how you post on a message board.
singletrack
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Sep 7 2007, 02:28 PM) [snapback]356415[/snapback]
shane has shown respect to every single fighter hes faced. thats the way he is, respectful. he also said he wouldnt knock cotto out early because he wanted the fans to get their moneys worth. cottos strength isnt going to be anything that shane hasnt seen before.

He also laughed after he said that.

and please do something about your run on sentences. quit using all those commas and use a period every once in a while.

nevermind, i dont really give a shit about how you post on a message board.

Touchy, touchy. There *might* be one in this whole thread. I seriously find it hard to read your posts without caps.

Here are some relevant facts that you might want to take into account before declaring victory:

Shane is 37.
Shane hasn't fought anyone at Cotto's level since, at least, 2005. Please don't point to Collazo or Vargas.
Shane hasn't fought anyone with Cotto's power since 2003 IMHO (DLH).

So if you think Shane is going to come in and dominate after fighting marshmallow-man Vargas, and mr-average-with-no-killer-instinct Collazo, then you are in for a big surprise.

All that being said, people are excited for a reason - it is a good match up. Shane is still a very good boxer.
WolfishPromistah
All I'm saying is that to keep saying that Cotto is gonna do so much to Shane, provided Shane doesn't knock him out early, is to say that Shane is not a better fighter than Zab Judah, who gave some heat to Cotto. And to compare the likes of Shane to a Judah -- that whole thing right there is ludicrous, to me.

Judah did make things a little tough on Cotto in their fight, and Judah's no way as skilled and efficiently able -- consistently -- as Shane Mosely. He never has been! So the comfort I really get from the thought of this fight is knowing Miguel Cotto has not shown himself as one to give up. However, nor has Shane Mosely ever done that. Therefore, this is from that...just A,B,C/1,2,3 stuff.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Sep 7 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]356438[/snapback]
All I'm saying is that to keep saying that Cotto is gonna do so much to Shane, provided Shane doesn't knock him out early, is to say that Shane is not a better fighter than Zab Judah, who gave some heat to Cotto. And to compare the likes of Shane to a Judah -- that whole thing right there is ludicrous, to me.

Judah did make things a little tough on Cotto in their fight, and Judah's no way as skilled and efficiently able -- consistently -- as Shane Mosely. He never has been! So the comfort I really get from the thought of this fight is knowing Miguel Cotto has not shown himself as one to give up. However, nor has Shane Mosely ever done that. Therefore, this is from that...just A,B,C/1,2,3 stuff.

i agree. judah gave cotto all he could handle, and mosley is a much better all around fighter than judah. i dont see cotto breaking mosley down late in this fight if it took that many rounds to get judah out of there. cotto is in trouble in this fight.
Mean Mister Mustard
If I'm Cotto, I'm coming into this fight with a different gameplan than the one he has employed during much of his career, which is to simply barge in, absorb punishment and dish out his more painful blows. Now against Judah that was necessary because watching how effective PBF had been on the inside against Judah, Cotto figured he would do just as well at close quarters.

However, look at what happened when Cotto rushed someone who had faster and more compact blows than he did in the Torres fight. He got railed. Torres caught him with some nice short right hands and Mosley loves to throw that swinging right hand too. If Cotto rushes Mosley then I'm expecting him to get rocked.

We do know that Cotto is not one dimensional even though it has seemed that way in the manner in which he's been boxing latley, which is to bang bang bang, but look at how he handled Quintana. He moved in and out and surprised Quintana. Hell even Quintana said he didn't think Cotto would be as quick as he was, Cotto just seems slow when he squares up and tries to swing big powerpunches but he can box too.

If Cotto chooses a more moderate approach to this fight I can see it being close and the decision being a contreversial one, leaving fans asking for a rematch.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 7 2007, 07:40 PM) [snapback]356459[/snapback]
If Cotto chooses a more moderate approach to this fight I can see it being close and the decision being a contreversial one, leaving fans asking for a rematch.

Are you suggesting that Cotto might outbox Mosley?
kdh
He doesn't care because he's going to have his cake and eat it too.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Sep 7 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]356470[/snapback]
Are you suggesting that Cotto might outbox Mosley?

No. I'm saying that if Cotto doesn't barge in like a madman he won't get knocked out and that if he uses his jab and underrated footwork and boxing skills, then he could make the fight close enough to win. Plus Mosley is no stick and move fighter. He's a guy who comes foward, throws combos and the occasional hard right hand. That's why his father calls it powerboxing. Just look at the Forrest fight, Mosley had no jab at all.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Sep 8 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]356638[/snapback]
No. I'm saying that if Cotto doesn't barge in like a madman he won't get knocked out and that if he uses his jab and underrated footwork and boxing skills, then he could make the fight close enough to win. Plus Mosley is no stick and move fighter. He's a guy who comes foward, throws combos and the occasional hard right hand. That's why his father calls it powerboxing. Just look at the Forrest fight, Mosley had no jab at all.

mosley did not jab with forrest because forrest was a 6ft tall welterweight with a good jab. why is forrests name even being brought up in reference to the cotto fight? does cotto remind anyone of vernon forrest? this is the first time in a long while that mosley is going to be the bigger man in the ring, and i believe cotto is in serious trouble here.
Mean Mister Mustard
When was the last time Mosley outboxed anyone with his jab? The first DLH fight? I'm telling you, Mosley is a powerpuncher not a boxer.
WolfishPromistah
"When was the last time Mosley outboxed anyone with his jab? The first DLH fight? I'm telling you, Mosley is a powerpuncher not a boxer. "

Yeah, who is also faster and the best body puncher whom Cotto will have faced. Don't you know Mosely was a terrorizing body puncher historically, with quickness? And with those advantages mentioned yet again (accompanying some othere, of course), it's a whitewash on the things he posses over his coming opponent. That's why the ONLY thing Cotto has going for him most, if anything, is that power puncher's chance we often hear noted. Sorry, but simply not enough for me to back him on.
hardhead
I couldn't find the picture does anyone have it?
_iodine_
I appreciate Cotto for the sport. He always provides for the most exciting fights, but if he resorts to that low-blow tactic when he gets hit with a few bombs from Mosley, he damn-well better have a point deducted. The more and more I see those shots he threw at Zab after Zab had him rocked the more they look intentional. It makes sense. It's the throw-back method of fighting and I don't necessarily lose respect for a fighter who bends the rules a bit when things get rough, but whoever is reffing this bout needs to be aware of what Miguel is doing should similar shots happen to land again.
Fitz
QUOTE(hardhead @ Sep 10 2007, 01:25 PM) [snapback]356820[/snapback]
I couldn't find the picture does anyone have it?

Mean Mister Mustard
Well, It its clear people are clearly writing off the younger fighter. Yeah Mosley is faster, I am not disputing that. What I am saying is that I am not expecting MOsley to go in there and befuddle Cotto with foot movement and a sharp jab. He has never done that and don't expect him to do it now.

What I am saying will happen is that Cotto will fight in a more measured pace and make the fight close.
neophyte7
When people some years ago were talking of Shane fighting Hopkins , the talk was that Mosley owned Joppy in sparring and was noted to have tremendous physical strength... Mosley having a size advantage could prove to be significant. Face it, Torres had Cotto out of there and he fought on short notice!!! Shane also has some serious body punches that Cotto will have to deal with. Cotto as impressive as he was against Judah still took a licking. He ate some serious shots from a guy that had not fought significantly in over a year. The advantages and intangibles are with Mosley in this fight. Cotto's reflexes could fail him soon he has been hit in his head an awful lot already. That style of his destined to fail him in an ugly way.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Sep 10 2007, 09:47 PM) [snapback]356971[/snapback]
When people some years ago were talking of Shane fighting Hopkins , the talk was that Mosley owned Joppy in sparring and was noted to have tremendous physical strength... Mosley having a size advantage could prove to be significant. Face it, Torres had Cotto out of there and he fought on short notice!!! Shane also has some serious body punches that Cotto will have to deal with. Cotto as impressive as he was against Judah still took a licking. He ate some serious shots from a guy that had not fought significantly in over a year. The advantages and intangibles are with Mosley in this fight. Cotto's reflexes could fail him soon he has been hit in his head an awful lot already. That style of his destined to fail him in an ugly way.

mosley wins this fight. its going to be good as long as it lasts, but i dont see how cotto can win.
Mean Mister Mustard
Estrada was able to give Mosley a hard time. Cotto is better on the inside, hits faster and harder than Estrada. He's basically better all around than Estrada. I think people are making Mosley out to be the machine that he was in 2000. He's not, he's 37 now and he'll be facing a younger hungrier gutsy fighter who is not as slow or as one dimensional as people think.

Look for my past posts in this thread to see that I agree with you that if Cotto rushes Mosley he's going to have a repeat of the Torres fight.
BrutalBodyShots
I would think that Mosley would prepare about 10X as well for Cotto as he did for Estrada though.

Big Slim Sweet
Mosley just turned 36.
Mean Mister Mustard
So there you go, the guy is 10 years older. Now as we all know, age in boxing does not determine the winner. But it usually does plays a factor, especially in the late rounds where the older guy might start getting punished and he thinks "Man what do I need this for? I'm outta here!"

Mosley is a warrior but hey you never know what 12 rounds of liver shots can make you do.

Brutal, yeah I'm also expecting Mosley to show up in better shape than he was 2 years ago against Estrada. Also I think his bad showing had something to do with that fight being his first bout at welter after having fought at 154 for 2 years.

Again, I'm expecting a close tough fight here, I am just not counting Cotto out like so many seem to be doing here. Mosley is not a stick and move boxer so I don't see him outboxing Cotto. And if he starts fighting on the inside he will do damage but he will also take enough punches from Cotto to render the fight close.
BrutalBodyShots
Yeah I don't think it will be a really dominant performance by either fighter; I expect a more or less 50-50 fight I'm just taking Mosley.

I have no problem with anyone picking either guy, but for anyone to think it's a total blowout on either end sort of surprises me.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.