Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Golden Boy buys Ring Magazine
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Maxy
This is fucked up....

How can one of the biggest promotional companies purchase a magazine of this standing and keep the mag impartial?

The Ring is dead....
Don Flamenco
I hope Nigel Collins addresses the issue in his next editorial. You can try to be impartial all you want, but when you know who is writing your checks, that is a different story.
Southeastpaw
!WOW!
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Maxy @ Sep 12 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]357197[/snapback]
This is fucked up....

How can one of the biggest promotional companies purchase a magazine of this standing and keep the mag impartial?

The Ring is dead....

Fucked up ain't even close to describing what this really is.

The Ring Magazine belt has just become as significant as any other sanctioning mob's trinket...
CyruS
lol.... wtf......

Ring Magazine credibility lost thumbsdown_anim.gif

Ring Magazine paychecks though.... they won.
singletrack
This sucks....I guess it could be worse - DKP could have bought them ; )
kidbazooka1
Damn DLH is taking over boxing big time.
_iodine_
I am NOT cool with this. Barnes 'n' Noble , a copy of Ring, and an iced coffee used to be one of my only refuges from the outside world. Oscar has infiltrated my comfort zone. NOT COOL.
MarzB
Wow!! We're ALL in universal agreement completely.

Of course Oscar & Richard will dress this up by saying how RING and PWI are the bibles of boxing and pro wrestling respectively.

But as addressed we KNOW that Golden Boy fighters will be shielded from strong criticism or BIASED features..
NickBarker
I can't believe they would do this. How can they expect the magazine to hold any credibility with fans? It's not as though it has a large casual readership.
KOpower
I agree. This is very sad for boxing because the Ring belt was really the only thing that mattered. Now it is nothing if not tainted. I hate this move. I will still read The Ring but if I even notice the slightest bit of GBP hype then I will never read it again.
kidbazooka1
I see where people are coming from but lets waite and see how the issues turn out who knows maybe Oscar will be abe to revive the magazine a bit.
blackbelt2003
It's not ideal...but for me The Ring has been losing ground lately.

The Ring Belt, for me, has become little better than the regular sanctioning belts because of biased, unfair rankings and a lack of proper regulations.

And the whole thing seems a little...stale?

Perhaps this new move may liven it up a little. Say what you want about GBP, but they are doing a good job in promoting boxing and have attracted plenty of new fans, especially in the Latino section...so just maybe they can do something with Ring magazine.

Looking at all the current promotional outfits, if ANYONE is going to stand up to the march of MMA, it's Oscar.

Black
STEVENSKI
Will Oscar become ring champ at 154 or 160?

He can give his boys the ring title & pass off his shity PPV's as legit.
JD
Well, this is one way to guarantee a Ring Magazine title around your waist.
rusty_trombone
Wow, this is a huge move for Oscar. DKP usually has some sanctioning bodies in his pocket, but Oscar is pretty much a sanctining body now, one that still has some respect. hopeully he doesn't turn the ring belt into the Golden Biy championship Belt, but he is all about the money.
bpipe
Honestly, I don't think this actually a bad move. Ring Magazine now has an owner with deeper pockets that it used to so maybe their coverage will be a little better and maybe it will print more issues than it has been. I don't think Oscar would try to influence the ratings at all honestly. He's a fighter and he knows how corrupt the sanctioning bodies have become with their BS rankings. The Ring Belt has been the true measure of who the champ is at each weight class and I think it still will be legit and fair. Oscar started his own promotional company to make sure the fighters aren't getting screwed anymore like they've been and I believe his sincerity in regards to that. He knows how the business works from both ends so I have a hard time thinking that he is going to add to the corruption. If anything this might be a good thing for boxing because as a fighter Oscar knows how hard they work and how frustrating it is when the WBC, WBO, WBA, and IBF come out with ridiculous rankings with certain fighters getting more love because of who their managers/promoters are. I'm happy with this news and look forward to seeing Oscar's efforts to clean up the sport.
thehype
Personally, I never read Ring Magazine or pay attention to their rankings anyway...but still...as much as HBO and ESPN try to shove Ring's rankings down our throats, as though they're the only ones that matter, you have to wonder how seriously you can really take their rankings any time you see a Golden Boy fighter listed now.

I'm actually kind of shocked that this isn't bigger news as I'm quite sure, had Don King made the purchase, a lot of boxing writers would have jumped all over it.
Jack 1000
I sense that there will be bias in favor of Oscar's fighters,

It might not necessarily start out that way, but it could build to that point. Politics and money dominate so much of the business world today that it is very difficult to keep objectivity on many things. Ring went through a lot of turbulent times, Don King rigging the ratings for his failed mid 70's ABC tournament, where the corruption got so bad that the network pulled the plug on the telecasts mid season, the buy-out in the early 90's, and than today with RING becoming more of an American popularity contest than an actual world wide representation of fighters.

Not everyone may agree with my above assessments, but I think that many would maintain that RING is NOT the dominating force that it was from the 1920's-early 70's. As most know boxing was more fundamentally structured and Americanized than it is now. In theory and practice, with few exceptions, the one world, one belt, one champion per eight weight class was easier to manage. Boxing is now too internationally structured for unified belts in most cases. You either have to have a marque name, a flamboyant promoter, or else jump through about 10 hoops just to get a title shot.

It doesn't even matter what ratings you follow anymore: WBA, WBC, IBF, WBO or RING. The only thing that RING does is show in each division that the boxers who are the most popular through the opinions of predominately American based weak knowledge boxing writers get the breaks. Furthermore, refusing to ever strip a fighter for inactivity I also see as problematic. Get a Ring belt, you can put your ass on it forever and as long as you don't lose in the Ring you keep it. At least the alphabet federations have elimination bouts for their title belts. Since Ring has no power to force title fights or unifications it doesn't go beyond the opinions of some writers.

Additionally, with the ever increasing Internet technology, ALL of the magazines are now publishing data that can be several months out of date. I dropped ALL my boxing magazines for this reason years ago. When RING finally finished their website, I went to it from time to time but stopped. RING in any form just wasn't and no longer is what used to make it historically strong.

Delahoya in my view could turn the future Ring Magazine into little more than springboard mechanisms for his promoted fighters. But even if that happens, I wouldn't care. The Ring that the world loved and remembered died in the late 80's and it hasn't been the same since.

Jack
dj necrogenic
Panchito Bojado Ring Welterweight Champion clapping.gif
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(bpipe @ Sep 13 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]357287[/snapback]
Honestly, I don't think this actually a bad move. Ring Magazine now has an owner with deeper pockets that it used to so maybe their coverage will be a little better and maybe it will print more issues than it has been. I don't think Oscar would try to influence the ratings at all honestly. He's a fighter and he knows how corrupt the sanctioning bodies have become with their BS rankings. The Ring Belt has been the true measure of who the champ is at each weight class and I think it still will be legit and fair. Oscar started his own promotional company to make sure the fighters aren't getting screwed anymore like they've been and I believe his sincerity in regards to that. He knows how the business works from both ends so I have a hard time thinking that he is going to add to the corruption. If anything this might be a good thing for boxing because as a fighter Oscar knows how hard they work and how frustrating it is when the WBC, WBO, WBA, and IBF come out with ridiculous rankings with certain fighters getting more love because of who their managers/promoters are. I'm happy with this news and look forward to seeing Oscar's efforts to clean up the sport.

Actually, I tend to agree with your opinion bpipe. I was just shocked to hear the news. I was just like, WOW. lol. Big news.
singletrack
QUOTE(bpipe @ Sep 13 2007, 12:48 PM) [snapback]357287[/snapback]

I hope you're right. One thing's for certain, the format of Ring could use some "refreshing" IMO. It would be nice if that could happen while still maintaining the integrity of the rankings.

Southeastpaw
Well, if Oscar does things right, he will have some objective people taking care of the rankings.
Jack 1000
I just wonder how much of this could be a losing battle in the end,

It's not so much Oscar's company buying out Ring, but as stated above the rise of Internet technology and digital media. Most people are going to use that for their information and entertainment choices, and will need to do that to attempt to resurrect a sport that is going through a lull right now and who's popularity is being taken over by MMA.

The Delahoya name means money. HUGE money. We all know that. But, how well will this carry over the long haul? There are still the inherent problems with Ring that others and I have mentioned. Even if Golden Boy Promotions were to attempt to fix these problems in the most objective way possible, (something that I doubt,) I can not see them competing with the Internet information age where I would approximate 90% of boxing news and information comes from.

How can printed boxing media, which is already so out of date by 3 months or more compete with information that can be updated within minutes 24x7? This doesn't mean that conventional printed media will stop. People are still reading books, newspapers, and magazines. But unless GBP can incorporate on-line information such as Ring's own site into the conventional print, there is just not enough use for a boxing magazine anymore. Who needs a boxing magazine when you can come to us at FightHype for the best 24x7 boxing news and more?

Jack
Maxy
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Sep 14 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]357457[/snapback]
I just wonder how much of this could be a losing battle in the end,

It's not so much Oscar's company buying out Ring, but as stated above the rise of Internet technology and digital media. Most people are going to use that for their information and entertainment choices, and will need to do that to attempt to resurrect a sport that is going through a lull right now and who's popularity is being taken over by MMA.

The Delahoya name means money. HUGE money. We all know that. But, how well will this carry over the long haul? There are still the inherent problems with Ring that others and I have mentioned. Even if Golden Boy Promotions were to attempt to fix these problems in the most objective way possible, (something that I doubt,) I can not see them competing with the Internet information age where I would approximate 90% of boxing news and information comes from.

How can printed boxing media, which is already so out of date by 3 months or more compete with information that can be updated within minutes 24x7? This doesn't mean that conventional printed media will stop. People are still reading books, newspapers, and magazines. But unless GBP can incorporate on-line information such as Ring's own site into the conventional print, there is just not enough use for a boxing magazine anymore. Who needs a boxing magazine when you can come to us at FightHype for the best 24x7 boxing news and more?

Jack

Boxing News in the UK is a weekly publication and is still an excellent read. I was wondering....are there any other weekly publications on boxing anywhere else in the world?
Jayhawkman
Granted one must consider the source, but integrity seems to be Oscar and Collins' primary concern:

http://www.thering-online.com/ringpages/ri...l#message091707
Mean Mister Mustard
A lot of people don't read and dislike the Ring because they say it's not up-to date. Well that's not the point of The Ring. I buy it every month because I'm interested in what they have to say about boxing. I feel that The Ring has great writers and their articles are the best around. If you want updates and interviews go surf the net. But if you want smart and insightful articles then you go get Ring magazine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.