Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MMA...Is It Just Me? I CANT get into it...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
plush
I know MMA is hot right now....But Im really not feelin' it!
Is it JUST me?
JD
Nupe...not just you.

I mean, I have watched it and ordered some events during the dead time...but I am with you, I just cannot get hooked. I want to, but it isn't happening for me.
plush
QUOTE(JD @ Sep 20 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]358182[/snapback]
Nupe...not just you.

I mean, I have watched it and ordered some events during the dead time...but I am with you, I just cannot get hooked. I want to, but it isn't happening for me.

You paid for that stuff??? You did that shit this month right? LOL
Are you going to the fight in AC next weekend?
hardhead
I hate Heavy Metal so I can't fully tolerate it... laugh.gif
BigG
It's alright. Boxing will always be my favorite sport (nothing comes close) but I'm into MMA. I enjoy watching Rampage fight.
STEVENSKI
I am enjoying it more & more but I don't like Joe Grogan.
Al B Sure
Looks like you're a minorty, because MMA especially the UFC is taking all the media attention away from boxing.

I will always be a boxing fan, but it's just one style of fighting where as MMA combines everything, which entertains me more. I've been watching MMA since 2000, so I'm not no Ultimate Fighter bandwagon fan.
PR316
Too much grappling. Boxing and soccer(Or football) are my favorite sports, followed by basketball and baseball.
Al B Sure
QUOTE(PR316 @ Sep 20 2007, 09:17 PM) [snapback]358191[/snapback]
Too much grappling. Boxing and soccer(Or football) are my favorite sports, followed by basketball and baseball.

If you understand the sweet science of grappling and brazilian jiu jitzu, a good grappling MMA bout can be very entertaining. Nick Diaz/Karo Parisyan is a perfect example of this.

People who are not fans of MMA atleast need to check out Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/Bob Sapp, amazing fight.
Don Flamenco
I Like MMA. I think I got more into it when I used to get everything for free with satellite. I watched the first couple of UFC's and then stopped and then got back into it when PRIDE was still around and they fought in a real ring. What the fuck is a cage? Animals fight in cages.

The things that turn me off about mma these days, not when PRIDE was around, is the presentation revolves around people like this guy

sleazy sluts, and Mickey's replay. MMA should be a shoe in for an Olympic sport, but until the UFC keeps that image for the sport up, it never will.

In boxing I like how it is a more technical sport, where as in mma, you will get more of lesser fighters winning because of the flash ko's that happen more frequently due to the mma gloves.

Don't get me wrong though, I watch both sports.

One thing we can't argue with is boxing and the level of talent in it has been dropping off dramatically in the US for decades. The modern Muhammad Ali is playing middle linebacker for some team in the NFL. And with MMA gaining more popularity, their contributing more to the problem as kids these days are opting more to go to the Fairtex's, BJJ, and Muy thai gyms instead of the boxing gyms.
thehype
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Sep 20 2007, 11:22 PM) [snapback]358194[/snapback]
I think I got more into it when I used to get everything for free with satellite.

laugh.gif

Post of the year. Oh how I miss the old Hu card days.

laugh.gif

I like 'em both...a good fight's a good fight...a shitty fight's a shitty fight...don't matter which sport it's in.

I heard Ricky Hatton and John Ruiz were fans of MMA.

laugh.gif
Don Flamenco
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 21 2007, 01:06 AM) [snapback]358209[/snapback]
Nothing against the sport, I just notice that a lot of the fans of it can sometimes be hypocritical when they mention the reasons boxing sucks and MMA doesn't.
Another problem I have is (this isn't just MMA fans, boxing fans can be just as guilty) that people feel as if they are always in competition with eachother and you can only like one sport. I think there is enough room for both.

Yep exactly. I don't know how many times I'm watching one of the big boxing PPVs and some UFC n00b starts saying that UFC is much better.

Yeah, the idiots say UFC, not mma.
JD
QUOTE(plush @ Sep 20 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]358185[/snapback]
You paid for that stuff??? You did that shit this month right? LOL
Are you going to the fight in AC next weekend?

LOL...I did.

I had just gotten home from a business trip and was kind of jet lagged, but wanted to stay awake...so I ordered it. I mean, it was alright, it kept me reasonably entertained - but just did not hook me.

Negative on AC for me...I have been so busy lately, I just have not had the time to do much of anything.
rusty_trombone
Yeah, I don't really like two fairly naked men, getting all lubed up and rubbing their sweaty manness all over each other, putting ball sacs in each others faces, some man on man scissor action. Then on gets behind the other and proceed to hump his back like they are gorillas, then they flip over and go into the full man-mount, getting each others juices all over. That is not my idea of visual pleasure, I'm sure Bam loves MMA though.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(Al B Sure @ Sep 20 2007, 11:22 PM) [snapback]358193[/snapback]
If you understand the sweet science of grappling and brazilian jiu jitzu, a good grappling MMA bout can be very entertaining. Nick Diaz/Karo Parisyan is a perfect example of this.

People who are not fans of MMA atleast need to check out Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira/Bob Sapp, amazing fight.

Got it, the sweet science of rubbing your cock all over a man, just waiting to get a whiff of his ass milks.
Southeastpaw
MMA isn't for everyone. I had a hard time getting into it until I watched Anderson Sylva. He is the guy that really got me into MMA. But it was the same with boxing. I never really GOT INTO boxing till 96 when Holyfield fought Tyson. Let's get real. Some drama and interesting match-ups will get someone into something. So I guess you can acll me a UFC bandwagon jumper cause I have been into it for a little over a year now. Boxing is still my true passion. But I love MMA. MMA is more active than boxing right now, so I can't remember when I had a dull weekend between the two sports. If you are one of the one's that cannot get into it, I can understand, but it is a greeat thing for those who can get into both.
Snoop
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Sep 21 2007, 02:56 AM) [snapback]358189[/snapback]
I am enjoying it more & more but I don't like Joe Grogan.

This about sums up my thoughts. I hate the absurd comparisons they make to boxing. I think I heard them once compare Krazy Horse to Pernell Whitaker. WTF?
BrutalBodyShots
I'm not into MMA the way I am boxing, but enjoy watching it.

I watched UFC back in the mid 90's and in the late 90's didn't very much... then during the era of satellite card burning and free satellite, I watched just about EVERY UFC or Pride from about 2000-2003 which got me "back into it" a bit... since the demise of free satellite I've watched MMA off and on over the last 4 years, where with boxing I catch just about everything.

With big boxing events I'm excited sometimes several weeks out... especially the week of. With MMA I don't find myself really looking forward to a fight until about the afternoon of the event when we're planning on whos house we're watching it at, who's bringing beer/food etc.

Chi-Town
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Sep 21 2007, 09:19 AM) [snapback]358242[/snapback]
This about sums up my thoughts. I hate the absurd comparisons they make to boxing. I think I heard them once compare Krazy Horse to Pernell Whitaker. WTF?

Please say it aint so...lol.

But it sounds from the discussion like most of you guys are like me in that I watch it and I enjoy it. If i'm looking through my menu guide and i see some MMA is on that evening I'll watch it, but I don't love it with the same passion as boxing. I haven't ever bought an MMA PPV and I never plan to watch the fights in advance whereas with boxing I will plan my whole weekend around seeing a fight.
Al B Sure
QUOTE(Don Flamenco @ Sep 20 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]358194[/snapback]
I Like MMA. I think I got more into it when I used to get everything for free with satellite. I watched the first couple of UFC's and then stopped and then got back into it when PRIDE was still around and they fought in a real ring. What the fuck is a cage? Animals fight in cages.

Please... PRIDE was more of a circus freakshow then UFC ever was.

With it's joke fights like Zulu Vs. Fedor, Zulu Vs. Butterbean, Zulu Vs. Nogueria, Giant Silva Vs. Anyone, etc. PRIDE's matchmaking was a big giant joke for many years, and they protect champions like crazy, especially when champions would defend their titles every 2 years.

Stop acting like PRIDE was the holy grail of MMA, and UFC is the big evil corporation.
Maxy
I guess I'm old fashioned or something cos I fuckin despise MMA/UFC or whatever its called. I don't buy 'a good fight is a good fight' comment either. Boxing is something special to me and this other shit will never ever hold my interest.

If boxing was banned or died out I still wouldn't watch MMA/UFC....that shit to me is bollocks!
Bill The Butcher
Boxing is my favorite sport, but I also like UFC. I only seen a little bit of Pride, IFL, a few episodes of Ultimate Fighter, etc. I couldn't really get into UFC when it first started years ago. But I think the sport evolved a lot. The ref is more likely to break up a lull in a clinch. And the fights are 3 to 5 - 5 minute rounds, instead of going on forever on the ground without the ref interrupting.

I also like the different fighting styles and different ways to win. But just like boxing, some fights are slow and boring to watch. Or ugly.

Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 22 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]358327[/snapback]
I believe it was already mentioned, but one thing UFC lacks, is having a professional look. The sport still looks a little tacky IMO, the way it's presented and the image of it.

Definitely. It reminds me of WWE.
Jack 1000
It's ok for me,

But that's it. I guess the problem for me with MMA are too many 1 round blowouts. Sure, you can get those in boxing as well. But while I can't stand a very boring fight, it's good to get some rounds in. Also with MMA, the non-title cards are only 3 rounds, so there's not enough time to get "into it" like there is for boxing. (Championship fights are 5 rounds.)

The general public however likes entertaining and quick action fights, which might explain why MMA is more popular than boxing right now. Also today, some people would rather see this type of quick action in an MMA as opposed to watching a distance fight. But I will ALWAYS prefer boxing over MMA.

Jack
Snoop
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Sep 22 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]358381[/snapback]
It's ok for me,

But that's it. I guess the problem for me with MMA are too many 1 round blowouts. Sure, you can get those in boxing as well. But while I can't stand a very boring fight, it's good to get some rounds in. Also with MMA, the non-title cards are only 3 rounds, so there's not enough time to get "into it" like there is for boxing. (Championship fights are 5 rounds.)

The general public however likes entertaining and quick action fights, which might explain why MMA is more popular than boxing right now. Also today, some people would rather see this type of quick action in an MMA as opposed to watching a distance fight. But I will ALWAYS prefer boxing over MMA.

Jack

Someone said this before that MMA is for people with short attention spans.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Sep 22 2007, 07:25 AM) [snapback]358386[/snapback]
Someone said this before that MMA is for people with short attention spans.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's it right there.
BrutalBodyShots
Anyone watch the card tonight? There were some pretty good fights...

I'm shocked that Shogun lost his debut... even more shocked that he tapped out at the end of the fight.

Liddell gets another huge setback in losing the the Dean Of Sardines. Keith was landing some HUGE right kicks to the leg and body again and again which ultimately is what got him the decision W.

torvix2000
I love boxing!!! There's no denying that.

But when I saw MMA fighters learning to how to punch explosively, I enjoyed watching them fight! They are remedying the situation and helping the show.

I love Liddel's last KO loss! Hahaha! He looked like Lennox Lewis in there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.