Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doesn't this bring back memories??...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
PR316
Admin Note: Additional info added to topic for clarity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Sqauei2DNs...feature=related "60-40 I tear yo ass up!"...

If this fight had taken place in 2002, what do you guys think the outcome would have been???...
Southeastpaw
Now knowing what I know, I think that Hopkins would have edged this one out. Definitely would have been close though, but that was right before Roy moved up to fight Ruiz, but Roy was still not fighting great competition before that. Hopkins was a different fighter in 2002 than he was when he faced Roy. Much smarter. I think Roy still had everything in 2002, but his comp lacked and I think that would have hurt him for THIS Hopkins. I would have been rooting my ass off for Roy, but I think that Hops would be too clever for Roy at that point. Roy had a difficult time with Hopkins when they met, and he would have had a much harder time in 2002. Just my take.
PR316
I don't know. Roy was slightly past his prime, but styleswise, he wasn't the best matchup for Bernard. Quick feet, fast hands, sharp reflexes, and very elusive. Bernard would have had to chase Roy and I think Roy would have just potshotted from the outside. I think it would have been competitive, for sure. But in the end, I just think that Roy was the better fighter, period. And he would have gotten a competitive but clearly deserved decision victory IMO. Hopkins is still an all time great, though.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(PR316 @ Sep 23 2007, 10:42 PM) [snapback]358568[/snapback]
I don't know. Roy was slightly past his prime, but styleswise, he wasn't the best matchup for Bernard. Quick feet, fast hands, sharp reflexes, and very elusive. Bernard would have had to chase Roy and I think Roy would have just potshotted from the outside. I think it would have been competitive, for sure. But in the end, I just think that Roy was the better fighter, period. And he would have gotten a competitive but clearly deserved decision victory IMO. Hopkins is still an all time great, though.

This is what I would have picked at the time. But now seeing as how Jones went, I'm not sure if Jones was starting to slip, maybe even before he met Tarver. It is hard to say with the level of competition Roy was facing for a few years before his fight with Ruiz. Jones has all the God-given gifts but Hopkins had the technique and wit to be able to pull out a win in a rematch, at that point in time. Not sure though. I like your thoughts better, but these are mine now.
PR316
But I must say I agree with your point of Hopkins being better in 2002 than he was when he fought Roy. But I don't think Roy was in his prime either when he fought Bernard. I think Roy hit his prime when he fought Toney. His performance against Bryant Brannon IMO was Roy at his absolute BEST.
Mino
Yea I remember that interview and was hoping Roy would beat his ass....by the way..sounds crazy but I miss big George
Imperius3
Anyone have that old pre-fight Hopkins-Trinidad interview?
BrutalBodyShots
I'm still of the opinion that Roy's venture from 175-193-175 did him more harm than good. I'm not saying that this move was the only reason he struggled big time with Tarver in their first meeting, but I think it was certainly a factor. I don't know, if Jones had never fought Ruiz and stayed put at 175 I think he would have beaten Tarver very clearly and struggled far less. That's just my opinion.

So that said, if Jones faced Hopkins prior to the move to fight Ruiz, I think based on styles Jones still edges Hopkins. Had Hopkins faced a post-Ruiz Jones, I think Hopkins edges Jones.
PR316
^^^^^ Assuming both Hopkins and Jones are victorious in their next fights(I think B-Hop won't get by Calzaghe honestly), what do you think the chances are of this rematch getting made??...
BrutalBodyShots
I'd say pretty damn good at 175. But like you, I don't thing Hopkins is going to come out of the Calzaghe fight victorious.

The CEO
God...I can see Roy beating Tito (and we should bet on that, Brutal)...but what if Bernard beats Joe, and then Roy clearly decisions Bernard....

Roy would be back on top again, and I'd be sick.

laugh.gif

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 24 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]372130[/snapback]
God...I can see Roy beating Tito (and we should bet on that, Brutal)...but what if Bernard beats Joe, and then Roy clearly decisions Bernard....

laugh.gif

Oh yeah, I'm betting Jones big over Trinidad. I can't wait to see what the over/under is set at and will probably put a good chunk on the under. I'm thinking 8 or 9 rounds.

PR316
I expect Jones to win big against Trinidad. Too big, too strong, too fast, and yes even now too skilled. Hopkins and Calzaghe is more competitive but I can't see Hopkins coming out victorious there.

I'd still love to see a rematch of Jones and Hopkins. Thats a legititmate grudge match.
PR316
^^^ Yeah I know. Even in their primes, Roy would have abused Tito.
and the NEW
In their primes the matchup is a super-middle against a welter, would have been a mismatch!

Now, I still give Tito a punchers chance. Though, Roy should box and move his way too a decision. As long as he doesnt lie there on the ropes like he does these days! Though, Tito doesnt bull in, so its easy enough to keep moving all night against him if you have the legs. Not sure about Roy these days.........he just doesnt do it for me anymore, sad to see the shell that he has become still fighting on...........

As for BHOP, his as pure technician as they come! Though, Roy is just all wrong for him, too much athletacism! Other than now, I cant see BHOP beating Roy at any stage of their respective careers.
PR316
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 25 2007, 03:22 AM) [snapback]372130[/snapback]

laugh.gif

LOL!!!... Wouldn't that be something to laugh at.

PS- LMAO at Roy telling Larry and Bernard "Yall try to peep game like, he beats 1 fighter that has a name and thats it, what else has he done!"...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.