Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Countdown Taylor/Pavlik
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
I am sooooo pumped for this fight now. I just watched the countdown to this fight. It's gunna be awesome. I did not know that Emmanuel is undefeated when he trains his fighters in the Poconos. I think Manny's 0 is about to go. I think Mercahnt is sweet on Pavlik. And why wouldn't he be given Pavlik's style. Merchant LOVES those types of fighters. Watch for Larry to be all over Pavlik's nob during the telecast. That is if he is going to be commentating. Will it be Merchant or Kellerman? Anyhow, Pavlik is a throwback if I have ever witnessed one. He was hittin the tire with a sledgehammer and tossin the tire around. Kelly is hard guy not to like. Jermaine looks to be pretty focused for this fight. But Pavlik looks like a beast and his conditioning is incredible. Jermaine did beat Pavlik in the Olympic trails, but Pavlik was also only 17. I cannot fucking wait for this fight.

Anyone else catch the countdown yet?
BigG
Fianlly some big fights.

I cannot wait for this fight as well.....It's gonna be a good fight. Say what you want about Taylor, but he BRINGS it everytime.
Lil-lightsout
I caught the last 5 minutes of it and i was pumped, I need to catch the whole show. This is gonna be an awesome fight.
The CEO
Hey, SE...Taylor is a "shoe in" to win this one.

laugh.gif

Seriously though...I think we'll see the best of JT here...his experience in the big ones coupled with Pavlik being tentative and giving him a little too much respect...well...let's just say I see a decision for Taylor.

Mino
1 of the best Countdowns I have seen yet...I watched it with my wife who knows nothing about boxing, and barely watches... when I asked her what she thought, she said she cant wait to see it and qoute....."That White Boy is about to get in his Ass"....I dont know about that , but cant wait to see
Imperius3
*VIDEO*

http://www.livefight.com/forum/index.php/topic,1237.0.html
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Sep 23 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]358583[/snapback]
Hey, SE...Taylor is a "shoe in" to win this one.

laugh.gif
Seriously though...I think we'll see the best of JT here...his experience in the big ones coupled with Pavlik being tentative and giving him a little too much respect...well...let's just say I see a decision for Taylor.

LOLOL. No one is a "shoe in". Well except for Wlad against Byrd. But I'll tell you what, a "shoe in" is easier to predict in boxing than it is in MMA. I had to use the "shoe in" remark CEO. I love it. But I don't think anyone thought Rua was going to lose, I just had to use your term. lol

Pavlik will be a "shoe in the ass" of Taylor come next week.
Tha Docta
its hard to not root for pavlik after watching that show. i hope he whoops taylors ass.
WolfishPromistah
"its hard to not root for pavlik after watching that show. i hope he whoops taylors ass."

True dat. And if you've seen that someone has never really been a boxing fan, you're still given the sense (seeing the vid, I mean) that the show can entice a person, if but once, to give PPV boxing a try. Perfect countdown show, indeed.
caneman
the ghost will smoke JT's ass & make him his bitch...JT might even night even ask for a reach around after spanking that ass laugh.gif JT goes down inside of 8 rounds! drinks.gif WAR PAVLIKKKKKKKKKKK!
singletrack
Thanks for the full vid imperius. I can't wait for this fight!
Elijah
Anyone know what the televised undercard is this Saturday?
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Elijah @ Sep 24 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]358623[/snapback]
Anyone know what the televised undercard is this Saturday?

I believe the televised undercard will be Berto/Estrada.

Not a bad card at all.
BrutalBodyShots
Anyone know if/when they are showing the countdown again prior to Saturday? I'd like to catch it.

salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 24 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]358653[/snapback]
Anyone know if/when they are showing the countdown again prior to Saturday? I'd like to catch it.

just click on Imperious' link.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Yea i really enjoyed the countdown show, and it always gets me hyped for the fight. This is going to be a really good fight hopefully. I got it on my tivo now, so ill watch it again probably. Still think Taylor is going to dominate though.
Kyle
Jayhawkman
Spot on, I couldn't have put it any better myself... PAVLIK W KO as for the round I could see it happening just as easily in the 1st as it could in the 11th however, I have to say Pavlik W KO 8
Snoop
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Sep 24 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]358630[/snapback]
I believe the televised undercard will be Berto/Estrada.

Not a bad card at all.

It's a pretty damn good card, especially for not being a PPV.
TheAmblingAlp
Pavlik doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell. Not because Taylor is too good, but because Pavlik is AT BEST, a B- fighter.

Beating the likes of Edison Miranda doesn't automatically make you a world-beater.

Should be entertaining, but hardly competitive. If Taylor doesn't look good in this one, he NEVER will.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 25 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]358746[/snapback]
Pavlik doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell. Not because Taylor is too good, but because Pavlik is AT BEST, a B- fighter.

Beating the likes of Edison Miranda doesn't automatically make you a world-beater.

Should be entertaining, but hardly competitive. If Taylor doesn't look good in this one, he NEVER will.

It doesn't matter if you are a B fighter facing an A fighter when the B fighter can PUNCH and the A fighter has never faced a puncher... AND the B fighter throws a ton of punches. If the B fighter were a Tua type looking for 1 shot maybe it would matter, but not when they throw a ton of shots.

singletrack
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 25 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]358746[/snapback]

Exactly what do you base the "B -" on? I am really curious.
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(singletrack @ Sep 25 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]358757[/snapback]
Exactly what do you base the "B -" on? I am really curious.

Defense
Technique
Balance
Generalship

I don't want to go so far as a C, but definitely not a B.

You'll see the flaws on Sat.
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 25 2007, 08:42 PM) [snapback]358754[/snapback]
It doesn't matter if you are a B fighter facing an A fighter when the B fighter can PUNCH and the A fighter has never faced a puncher... AND the B fighter throws a ton of punches. If the B fighter were a Tua type looking for 1 shot maybe it would matter, but not when they throw a ton of shots.

It matters when the B fighter often leaves himself wide open, not overly quick handspeed, and ripe for counters all night.

We'll see come Sat. Call it what you want. I see a one-sided fight.

I can't stand Taylor, and hope someone knocks him into the night, but I call 'em like I see 'em.
singletrack
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 26 2007, 12:28 AM) [snapback]358762[/snapback]
Defense
Technique
Balance
Generalship

No need to be arrogant. Jermaine also has suspect defense, balance, and generalship. But if the "real" Jermaine shows up and exposes Pavlik, I'll be just as happy. As long as we have a real fight and a real middleweight champ.

I think Jermaine has all the tools to soundly beat Pavlik, I've just never actually seen him use them - at least on a good opponent, i.e. Hopkins and post. I have to believe that a lot of that has to do with difficulties in making weight and, as a result, poor stamina. Of course, he could just be a screwball that can't keep it together. If the latter is true, then he is in for a long night with Kelly.

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 26 2007, 12:28 AM) [snapback]358762[/snapback]
Defense
Technique
Balance
Generalship

I think Pavlik has better defense than he is given credit for.
His technique is to back his opponent up, outwork them, and stop them.
While he does not have the best balance in the world, I don't think it will be much of a factor against Taylor.
And as far as his generalship is concerned, see what I said about his technique.

Sure he has flaws, just as Jermaine does, but his pros seriously outweigh his cons. For what lack of defense he does have, he has a solid chin and can take what comes his way. Jermaine has shown fatigue in tough fights. Pavlik keeps coming for as long as the fight goes and is by far the biggest, most powerful man Jermaine has ever faced. I will admit that Jermaine has a chance. But if he slips up, his ass is going to sleep. Jermaine is going to have to stay on his toes and work everything behind the jab and develop great generalship. Instead of walking backwards, he is going to have to keep moving from side to side and circle Kelly. If he backs up against Pavlik, he is going to pay. I honestly do not see Jermaine being able to sustain a game plan where he will not get tired and keep off the ropes against a tremendous and relentless pressure fighter such as Pavlik. Jermaine is going to get stopped come the later part of the fight.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(singletrack @ Sep 26 2007, 12:40 AM) [snapback]358766[/snapback]
No need to be arrogant. Jermaine also has suspect defense, balance, and generalship. But if the "real" Jermaine shows up and exposes Pavlik, I'll be just as happy. As long as we have a real fight and a real middleweight champ.

I think Jermaine has all the tools to soundly beat Pavlik, I've just never actually seen him use them - at least on a good opponent, i.e. Hopkins and post. I have to believe that a lot of that has to do with difficulties in making weight and, as a result, poor stamina. Of course, he could just be a screwball that can't keep it together. If the latter is true, then he is in for a long night with Kelly.

I've never really been high on Jermaine. I was happy to see him beat Hopkins. But other than his physical attributes for his weightclass, athleticism, and jab, I don't see anything spectacular about his skillwise.
PR316
At first, I was sure that Taylor would probably stink the joint out and win a UD that way. But the closer we get, the more I suspect that not only will Taylor stand and fight, but he'll actually look better than he has in recent fights. On paper, I think his skills and experience with top level comp should be the deciding factor, but then I look at him being backed up by the likes of Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks and I then visualize what Pavlik can do.

It'll be a war. It'll be bloody. Both guys will be hurt at points in this fight. But I don't think this is going the distance. Somebody is going down swinging and I think its Taylor. Pavlik's power and better punching technique is the difference.

Pavlik KO 8
salvador
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Sep 26 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]358769[/snapback]
I've never really been high on Jermaine. I was happy to see him beat Hopkins. But other than his physical attributes for his weightclass, athleticism, and jab, I don't see anything spectacular about his skillwise.

I agree with that to a point, the point being that JT really doesn't have the accuracy or the speed or short enough punches to ever land him at the top of any p4p list, but the athleticism/size and his jab go a hell of a long way. And the fact that he's hung with both Winky and BHOP tells me that regardless of how he looks, he is (arguably due entirely to his athelicism and his jab) a world class fighter.

I also think that his heart is severley underrated. He might not be smart with it, but his willingness to engage makes him special in itself.

The closer this gets, the less sure I am of my prediction that JT wins by decision. I'd still give him the nod, but he's going to HAVE to jab and he's going to HAVE to move his feet. If he does those two things and makes a determined effort to go to Pavlik's body early and often (where his landing % should be high, assuming he's willing to take what's coming back in return), JT should win this. Whether or not he does those things is anybody's guess.
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(singletrack @ Sep 25 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]358766[/snapback]

Arrogant???? Not so.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 26 2007, 12:33 AM) [snapback]358764[/snapback]
It matters when the B fighter often leaves himself wide open, not overly quick handspeed, and ripe for counters all night.

Not really, because Pavlik has already proved that he can take huge punches and keep coming forward. Taylor will not hit him with anything harder than Miranda did. We KNOW that Pavlik can take Taylor's shots; What we DON'T know is if Taylor can take Pavlik's -- I personally think there is a reason that DiBella has never let Taylor face a puncher before and you will see why on Saturday.

salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Sep 26 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]358801[/snapback]
Not really, because Pavlik has already proved that he can take huge punches and keep coming forward. Taylor will not hit him with anything harder than Miranda did. We KNOW that Pavlik can take Taylor's shots; What we DON'T know is if Taylor can take Pavlik's -- I personally think there is a reason that DiBella has never let Taylor face a puncher before and you will see why on Saturday.

What huge puncher has there been at mw that Taylor has ducked? I ask because outside of Miranda and Pavlik, I can't think of any in the mw division right now that stand out. Also, I've never really seen JT hurt and he's got the body of a guy who can take a punch - he has a really thick neck and a disproportionately large upper body. And I would argue that Hopkins has deceptively heavy hands and that JT took as many BHOP short right hands to the chin as anyone, which says SOMETHING.

And I think that Miranda's punches were all so wide and telegraphed that Pavlik saw them coming. It could be very different if Taylor uses his jab and lands right hands behind it.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(salvador @ Sep 26 2007, 12:21 PM) [snapback]358803[/snapback]
What huge puncher has there been at mw that Taylor has ducked? I ask because outside of Miranda and Pavlik, I can't think of any in the mw division right now that stand out. Also, I've never really seen JT hurt and he's got the body of a guy who can take a punch - he has a really thick neck and a disproportionately large upper body. And I would argue that Hopkins has deceptively heavy hands and that JT took as many BHOP short right hands to the chin as anyone, which says SOMETHING.

And I think that Miranda's punches were all so wide and telegraphed that Pavlik saw them coming. It could be very different if Taylor uses his jab and lands right hands behind it.

I don't care whether or not Taylor has "ducked" a big puncher... it's that he has never FACED a puncher, that's the point. Until I see Taylor take a power shot to the chin from a power puncher there will be question marks surrounding the guy IMO. I thought Taylor was hurt on several occasions against Hopkins and Hopkins is not as big of a puncher as Pavlik.

Taylor's punches are plenty telegraphed as well. His "straight" right hand is everything but. And yes, the fight **could** be very different if Taylor uses the jab, but that is not something he has done in over 2 years so I wouldn't put my money on it.

Southeastpaw
Taylor was hurt in the first Hopkins fight. It was when he was fatigued, and if he got fatigued at the pace set in the Hopkins fight, good luck to him against Pavvy.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Sep 26 2007, 02:55 PM) [snapback]358824[/snapback]
Taylor was hurt in the first Hopkins fight. It was when he was fatigued, and if he got fatigued at the pace set in the Hopkins fight, good luck to him against Pavvy.

I really don't think Taylor will have anything left in the stamina department after about 8 rounds.

Southeastpaw
That's what I'm thinking myself. That is when I believe he will be good for the taking.
singletrack
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Sep 26 2007, 02:55 PM) [snapback]358824[/snapback]

HAHA - I really like this comment.
Southeastpaw
Any1 watch the final presser of the Pavlik/Taylor fight on the front page? LOL

It really sounded to me like Steward is trying to convince himself that Taylor is going to win more than anything else.

I can't wait for this shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
buford54
I'm pulling for Pavlik in this one. JT's a nice guy and I would pull for him against someone like Calzaghe or Roy Jones...but I can't get over that he hasn't really "beaten," anyone of note other than blown up 154 lbers.
He's been in the ring w/ the best, but, he only has his belts because Hopkins didn't fight for 6 rounds. When Hopkins decided to fight, he beat the crap out of JT.
In my mind, he lost to Winky Wright. Haven't seen the Sinks fight, because there was some paint drying that I could watch instead...but many seem to think that Spinks beat him as well.

From what I have seen of Pavlik...he is is a crowd-pleaser who's size and strength advantages have worked well for him. He does look a bit one dimensional...but I've only seen him against Miranda, who is not known for his versatility either.

It will be interesting to see how Manny tries to adapt JT to Pavlik...because Steward's big trade secret is to pick up guys who are taller than everyone else, teach them how to throw a jab and a right hand and throw them while going backwards. Pavlik is bigger than JT, so will have that height reach advantage that JT will have to overcome.
However it comes out, it should be a good scrap. I'm planning on a JT victory because he has more experience, is faster, etc...but I'm pulling for Pavlik and would like to see him take JT's 0.

Southeastpaw
I believe Manny wants JT to work everything behind the jab, of course, but I am betting Taylor is going to be very mobile, constantly moving and timing Pavlik with uppercuts as Pavlik leans in. This is a good game plan, if I am correct, but JT is going to have to pull it off perfectly. Manny is saying that Taylor's conditioning is top notch, which it better be. But it sounded as if he was trying to convince himself more than anything. I mean, he went on and on like he was tryin to sell something. That is what I got from it anyhow. Pavlik seemed very humble and gracious. The countdown convinced me that JT has a chance, then Manny's over the top speel kind of reenforced my Pavlik pick. I am hoping for a great battle with Pavlik coming out on top with a dramatic KO.

I think that the questions concerning Pavlik will be if he can catch Taylor and cut him off instead of following him around the ring and letting him dictate the pace. Question concerning Taylor is can he set the pace and offset Pavlik's rhythm. I believe whomever is successful at setting the pace will win the fight. I believe that Pavy will be the one doing this.
WolfishPromistah
I know that JT's gonna show his heart of a warrior at points in the fight (he didn't get where he is from just being soft), but I just think that the revenge that Pavlik is briinging in, to shut down that previous experience in the amateurs with Taylor, has potentially built his hunger up to the point wherin he's gonna be in there to die, to prove that what happened when he was a kid against Taylor was indeed a fluke -- something wherein all he really needed was a few more rounds any way to make the difference. I can't wait. My bet, fellas, is that there will be some heavy gunnin' from both sides September 29th.
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Sep 27 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]358888[/snapback]
I know that JT's gonna show his heart of a warrior at points in the fight (he didn't get where he is from just being soft), but I just think that the revenge that Pavlik is briinging in, to shut down that previous experience in the amateurs with Taylor, has potentially built his hunger up to the point wherin he's gonna be in there to die, to prove that what happened when he was a kid against Taylor was indeed a fluke -- something wherein all he really needed was a few more rounds any way to make the difference. I can't wait. My bet, fellas, is that there will be some heavy gunnin' from both sides September 29th.

Sounds great....except you're forgetting that Pavlik has stated on numerous occasions that he remembers very little about their meeting in the Am's. Therefore, I seriously doubt he's been carrying around any angst regarding it. No need to romanticize anything.....he's just trying to win a fight.
TheAmblingAlp
You know, after reading some of these comments regarding Pavlik's prowess, I'm starting to understand.

Margarito's loss to Paul Williams left vacated, the "World's Most Overrated Fighter" title. I think a lot of you are hoping to have Kelly Pavlik fill those big shoes.
WolfishPromistah
You know, TheAmblingAlp, I never really thought about it, even though I watched the vid that was presented. I just thought there was something there about how "Pav" actually was ready to go to the next level; Taylor prevented that and moved on himself. Most of the impression I got was actually from what the older guy said, about the Taylor team not letting that old occurrence persuade them into thinking that Kelly is the same fighter, or that it'll be the same fight. But I guess that the past thing happened still didn't bother Kelly as much as I would have liked to hype it in my last post, from what I understand in what you've attempted to point out. Thanks for commenting to correct me. smile_anim.gif
singletrack
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 27 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]358892[/snapback]
You know, after reading some of these comments regarding Pavlik's prowess, I'm starting to understand.

Margarito's loss to Paul Williams left vacated, the "World's Most Overrated Fighter" title. I think a lot of you are hoping to have Kelly Pavlik fill those big shoes.

I KNOW I AM! WOOOOOOOOT!

The only thing I think anyone can reasonably conclude is that EVERYONE is sick of JT's boring fights.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 27 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]358892[/snapback]

From what statements do you get this idea from?

Just because we believe that he will beat JT?

Where do you conclude that we are insinuating that he is the next "Most Feared Man" or whatever?

Don't go overboard lil fella.
TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(singletrack @ Sep 27 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]358894[/snapback]
I KNOW I AM! WOOOOOOOOT!

The only thing I think anyone can reasonably conclude is that EVERYONE is sick of JT's boring fights.

Oh....no one is more tired of the overall lack of action in Taylor's fights than I am. And Pavlik is pretty exciting. The things he was able to accomplish against Miranda, I believe to be more of a commentary of Edison's flaws, than Pavlik's strengths.

I think the guy's style is exactly what Taylor has been looking for. With the exception of Ouma, he's been in with counter punchers, guys who feed off the other guy. And even Ouma's pitch count went way down with Taylor, which is what you'll see with Kelly.
WolfishPromistah
Are you saying then, TheAmblingAlp, that Jermaine tends to do better when he's being pressured? If so, then I certainly have to present thought to what happened everytime both Hopkins & Wright got on him, who probably aren't "as strong" as Pavlik, though they both gave him major problems. And it's not like Kelly himself is an inaccurate puncher, is it? Add to that those same punches have power on em and this may indeed give Jermaine some sledge-hammer nightmares, if he isn't as careful as needed.
singletrack
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Sep 27 2007, 11:06 PM) [snapback]358904[/snapback]
I think the guy's style is exactly what Taylor has been looking for. With the exception of Ouma, he's been in with counter punchers, guys who feed off the other guy. And even Ouma's pitch count went way down with Taylor, which is what you'll see with Kelly.

I hear a lot of people saying that, but I don't understand what makes him so taylor made for JT. If he had problems with Ouma, then I see Pavlik being a much bigger problem. I just have to base my prediction off what I've seen, not what Manny and JT tell me is going to happen. Based on what I've actually seen, I expect Taylor to backup and hold. The difference from the other fights is I think Kelly will get free and punish him severely on the ropes. It may not happen initially, but as JT becomes tired and as Pavlik lands shots, the fight will change.

The other thing I find telling is that JT made it a point in the final press conf to say something to the effect of - well you can criticize me all you want, just make sure you say I'm still undefeated. That tells me he is considering the possibility that this fight will be just like the last few - ugly with a lot of holding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.