Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who's more marketable?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
The CEO
I have no favorite here tonight. I like them both. I merely wanna see a bombfest with heart...but if no one gets KOed, and it's close, expect that Taylor decision, y'all...

HBO ain't PUBLICLY dangling from JT's satchel anymore, but he's more marketable than Pavlik iMo...

sooooo....I got Taylor by decision.

Discuss marketability and throw your picks up again if you like real quick...
JD
I think JT is a little tarnished, and marketing him from where he is might be a bit tougher than marketing Pavlik if he goes in there and takes JT out.

Midwest kid...American...come forward puncher...active...I dunno, I think Pavlik might be a guy you could do a little more with from here.

My pick is Pavlik TKO 10.

Ever since ridding himself of Pat Burns, Jermain Taylor has proven to be an enigma. Real athlete, loaded with talent, constantly regressing, inability to follow instructions and execute a plan. It is almost as if he just locks up in there, and with a guy like Manny feeding him what appears to be an over abundance of information between rounds, he is unable to utilize his greatest assets - all of those assets being of the athletic sort. Kelly Pavlik is a guy who is not all that difficult to figure out; come forward, throw punches that are pin straight, try to knock the guy out, bring the hands back up to block and parry as best as he can. Yes, from time to time he will sit back and employ a jab to assess how to attack best, but make no bones about it, he is in there looking to get you out of there. Pavlik is big, strong, and he punches hard and heavy. One school of thought is that this kind of style will allow Jermain Taylor to be at his best and simply react to what Pavlik is bringing. In other words, go back to using his athleticism. The other school of thought is that Jermain has shown he has some stamina issues when pressed. The mere fact that Kassim Ouma came forward all night had him falling all over the ring late in the fight. This stamina issue, combined with Pavlik's pressure, power and consistency will be a problem for JT as he looks to keep the Ghost at bay and prevent him from fighting inside. I subscribe to the second school of thought and believe that by the 5th or 6th round, the writing will be on the wall. I saw Cory Spinks back Taylor up when he needed some space and I fully expect to see Pavlik back Jermain Taylor up when he wants to take away some space. To quote Ronnie Shields, "Do NOT back up on this man", in other words, side step and jab - fight in the center of the ring. It will happen half the time, the other half will be Pavlik chipping away en route to a late stoppage.
The CEO
I see and agree with some of those thoughts...

and if Taylor happens to win tonight by dynamic KO, it would give him his luster back and then some...

Yet even in his tarnished state and with his lack of speaking skills...I see Taylor still being a liiiiitle shinier than Pavlik...

I really don't know...thinking more about it...maybe they're equally quasi-marketable...laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Neither is anything special in terms of marketability IMO at this point... I mean they seem to be nice guys but none has that star quality of some of the big PPV draws we've seen in recent history. I think that either will have to achieve their marketability through winning fights decisively, and tonight is a great chance for either to accomplish that by beating the other without any question. Pavlik's style is more conducive to that IMO because he'll without a doubt register more stoppages which always draws fans.

I think anything short of a great performance by Taylor tonight (not ANOTHER close decision) leaves him more or less stagnant in terms of marketability and I think where he stood after the Hopkins "wins" was more or less his peak in that category. Tonight however a Pavlik win (especially a dominant one) will certainly increase his marketability to a new level.

salvador
Please!

Kelly Pavlik's the new face of boxing. How fucking hard could it possibly be to sell an earnest, straightforward, white brawler with manners who can punch like a mule? HBO's gonna get behind this guy like he was Jesus. He's exactly what Floyd will never be.

I find it very interesting that Arum's been unusually quiet. I would have expected him to be front and center tonight. He must understand that he's not liked by the public and doesn't want to tarnish his new moneymaker.

The CEO
Pavlik's more marketable NOW for sure...and why are you mentioning Floyd in this thread?

laugh.gif

Let it go, Sal...let it go.
salvador
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Sep 30 2007, 01:00 AM) [snapback]359119[/snapback]
...and why are you mentioning Floyd in this thread?

laugh.gif

Let it go, Sal...let it go.

Man, I wish I could. It's just so damn hard! You know?
Method
I like Jermain Taylor, but Pavlik I believe is more marketable....he is the more 'feel good' story. Kid from the run down steel town. The best thing to come out of that place in a LONG time. Honest, hardworking...no flash....no olympic background, no nonsense kid....works his ass off to get his shot....and he earned every fucking second of it. With a hard working, blue-collar, no nonsense trainer. The polar opposite of that shit talking, overratefd blow hard Manny Steward. Great story.

Don't get me wrong....Jermain Taylor grew up and had to be a man long before most guys are sequestered to carry out the responsibility, but he had a coke snorting ex-hbo executive ass hole promoter in DiBella and he has HBO completely pulling strings to make sure he was placed in the position he was placed in. They cut there honest, hard working trainer in Pat Burns so they could have yet another HBO pony in the GROSSLY overrated Manny Steward in camp.

Kelly Pavlik is much more marketable, but is there anyone left to fight at 160?

caneman
QUOTE(Method @ Sep 30 2007, 01:16 AM) [snapback]359140[/snapback]
I like Jermain Taylor, but Pavlik I believe is more marketable....he is the more 'feel good' story. Kid from the run down steel town. The best thing to come out of that place in a LONG time. Honest, hardworking...no flash....no olympic background, no nonsense kid....works his ass off to get his shot....and he earned every fucking second of it. With a hard working, blue-collar, no nonsense trainer. The polar opposite of that shit talking, overratefd blow hard Manny Steward. Great story.

Don't get me wrong....Jermain Taylor grew up and had to be a man long before most guys are sequestered to carry out the responsibility, but he had a coke snorting ex-hbo executive ass hole promoter in DiBella and he has HBO completely pulling strings to make sure he was placed in the position he was placed in. They cut there honest, hard working trainer in Pat Burns so they could have yet another HBO pony in the GROSSLY overrated Manny Steward in camp.

Kelly Pavlik is much more marketable, but is there anyone left to fight at 160?

he has 2 more belts he can get @ 160!?!?! he should go get them ASAP
kidbazooka1
Pavlik should be more marketable because of his exciting style and power but you never know.
The CEO
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 30 2007, 01:10 AM) [snapback]359134[/snapback]
laugh.gif

This coming from the Ricky Hatton version of salvador.

You know that's not an accurate comparison.

P.S.~ You're the watered down version of hitman harding.

taunt.gif

buford54
If you take a pre-Hopkins Taylor and a pre-Taylor Pavlik I think the fields were completely even.

Taylor: Respectful, soft-spoken, humble, great skill, power, hard-working southern boy who came from humble beginnings to earn his shot.

Pavlik: Same...just replace southern with midwestern. Also, not naturally as athletic as Taylor is.

Taylor's problem now is that he hasn't won anything convincingly. He has 2 very disputable wins over Hopkins. He then arguably loses to Winky Wright. After beating a blown up 154 lber in Kassim Ouma (and he was a small 154 lber), he then fights Cory Spinks (another blown up 154 lber) who many think won the fight.

While nobody can say that any of them are easy fights, he didn't look good in any of them, he won his belts very unconvincingly, and has copped a little bit more of an attitude than before, probably because he doesn't get much respect.
With every fight he leaves more questions unanswered than he actually answers. You can only market that for 1 or 2 fights before people stop believing the hype.

Pavlik worked his way up from the bottom, and knocked out pretty much everyone that he fought to do it. He fought Miranda when he didn't have to and knocked him out. Then, to get the belts, he gets up from being seriously hurt, and knocks out the champ.
Where are the questions? He's the man. He's got a chin of rock, a heart that pumps concrete and he can punch like a mule.
Because of his raw style, he brings that humanity to the ring that is missing from someone flashy like Floyd who has never actually had his chin tested.

Because he answers questions in the ring and has all of the earlier mentioned qualities...he's the guy.
The Original MrFactor
If you're trying to sell folding chairs then Jermaine is your guy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.