Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taylor vs. Pavlik: Round by Round Results/Discussion
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Jack 1000
This thread is for on-going discussions, round by round, and post fight reactions to the TAYLOR-PAVLIK Middleweight World Championship Fight which begins tonight at 9:15 PM (CST) on HBO.

SPOILERS MAY BE INCLUDED BELOW. Please keep all comments in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
The CEO
WAR BOXING!!!!
BrutalBodyShots
I'm actually really looking forward to this fight. Can't remember the last time I was so pumped.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Sep 29 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]359039[/snapback]
WAR BOXING!!!!

Right CEO!

This has be a war! "The Ghost"is going to be haunting "Close Decisions" I think. Maybe for the rest of his life! hahaha!

(Ok, now see how impartial I am in who I want to win! LOL!) laugh.gif

Jack
The Original MrFactor
I'm going with Taylor by late stoppage.

What would be funny is if Pavlik wins a decision that we all think should have gone to taylor...
Jayhawkman
How about this Berto vs. Estrada fight. Berto is really looking good with a step up in competition.

Any thoughts??
Jayhawkman
Right on, I didn't see that. I opened this thread up at like 9 CST and have been just refreshing it so sorry, I didn't know
NickBarker
Taylor's speed is really showing.
NickBarker
Pavlik has a much better third round. He just needs to keep his hands up. He can back Taylor up most of the time.
NickBarker
I'm impressed with how Steward and Taylor gameplanned. They're obviously focused on countering off of Pavlik's incessant forward movement. Taylor just needs to throw more.
NickBarker
I have it about even.
neophyte7
GOOE BYE TAYLOR... YOU OVERRATED FUCK...
BigG
I just cannot believe BHop lost to Taylor. You wont be seeing Pavlik on any P4P lists...dude can punch but thats about it.
neophyte7
IT WAS BEAUTIFUL TO SEE TAYLOR AND THAT UGLY ASS DIBELLM LEAVE THE RING DEJECTED... Taylor got knocked the fuck out. Pavlik was dominating Taylor with a stronger jab... the knockdown was legit for Taylor but he got his ass kicked...
BigG
I'd like to see a rematch.....These two have to ability to knock each other the fuck out. Pavlik was about done in round 2..

They put on a good fight. But neither of these guys are the next great middleweight after BHop IMO.

Both big sloppy hittable guys who can punch,
The Original MrFactor
Lesson... When you are getting hit with flush shots FROM ROUND 1, maybe you should try keeping your hands up!!!
thehype
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man...what a sore loser Taylor was...he just bounced.
neophyte7
I am just elated to see Taylor's ass KO'd... He has been gettig by with shit decisions. He drew with Spinks... great job Pavlik for Koing this hype job
BigG
I had Spinks beating Taylor by 1, the Winky fight a draw, and Taylor going 1-1 against BHop.
thehype
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Sep 30 2007, 12:12 AM) [snapback]359074[/snapback]
I am just elated to see Taylor's ass KO'd... He has been gettig by with shit decisions. He drew with Spinks... great job Pavlik for Koing this hype job

And what's sad is that they were trying to set him up with another shit decision. How in the hell did the judges have Taylor up on the scorecards?

dntknw.gif
thehype
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 30 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]359075[/snapback]
I had Spinks beating Taylor by 1, the Winky fight a draw, and Taylor going 1-1 against BHop.

You're too kind...I had Taylor losing ALL of those fights.
BigG
Taylor has no fuckin clue how to get off the ropes. WInky hammered him there now Pavlik did it.
thehype
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I like how Merchant offers up excuses for him...

"Are you saying that maybe you expended too much energy while trying to go for the knockout in the second round?"

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
thehype
Damn his face looks JACKED UP!!!!!
neophyte7
QUOTE(thehype @ Sep 30 2007, 12:13 AM) [snapback]359076[/snapback]
And what's sad is that they were trying to set him up with another shit decision. How in the hell did the judges have Taylor up on the scorecards?

dntknw.gif

LMAO--- TAYLOR IS DONE. HE IS NOT A GOOD FIGHTER AT ALL... HIS CAREER IS OVER. I DON'T SEE HIM ABLE TO GET ANOTHER TITLE FROM ANYONE...

Emmanuel steward talked so much shit... bye bye TAYLOR
The CEO
What a way to tell us, Fitz...laugh.gif

So was there some warring goin' on or what?
torvix2000
Pavlik may be 1-dimensional but he has some vicious and varied punches. I was literally feeling some of those liver shots at the middle of the ring. Taylor lost even in the middle.
BigG
This was a fun fight. Hope there is a rematch.
BrutalBodyShots
I always thought that Taylor would crumble the first time he tasted real power and he did.

He certainly caught Pavlik early and had him going. Props to Pavlik getting through the rest of the second round and coming back to win the 3rd.

I thought it was funny as hell between rounds 2 and 3 and Pavlik smiled while clearing the cob webs and asked his trainer "what did he catch me with" and his trainer said something like "unnecessary shit" or the like.

I also laughed my ass off about 20 or 30 seconds into the fight when Taylor threw his first "straight" right hand that was arcing and telegraphed. Pavlik's jab was stronger and stunned Taylor several times, and Pavlik's right hand was much more potent. Taylor certainly had the edge with combinations but didn't land his shots as clean IMO.

Great win for Pavlik, and fuck the judges for having Taylor WAY ahead at the time of stoppage.
gods son
great fight!!!!
Pavlik is good for boxing...i thought he was out in rnd 2..damn!
Bill The Butcher
I love that slow motion instant replay of that right hand Pavlik landed on Taylor's face. HAHA! After a couple good uppercuts and left hooks, Taylor just crumbled in that corner.

Pavlik did a really good job with his jab and constantly backing up Taylor. I was just waiting for Pavlik to land that big right hand.
PR316
Pavlik won and deserved to. Taylor really lacks craft, though. His inability to finish Pavlik in round 2 cost him the fight. If Taylor actually knew how to finish, he'd have won.

Pavlik is a monster. He's got heart/balls, and a big punch. He also possesses a nice stiff jab. Pavlik will be around for a while thats for sure.
The Original MrFactor
I dont think it was such a stretch to say Taylor was ahead at the stoppage. Most rounds were close, the biggest difference was the knockdown. I'd like to see a rematch. However, I see taylor making many of the same mistakes and they cost him against a guy with heavy hands. You CANNOT continue to back up with your hands down. Just dumb...
Kijis Konar
Pavlik OWNED Taylor, one of the most overrated champions in recent memory. Taylor did hurt him in the 2nd, but dude got up, fought back, kept landing that right hand over the top, and eventually KTFO him.

GO PAVLIK!
Method
A few points on tonight's action...

1.) I won money on Pavlik by stoppage! YEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHBBBBOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYY! (Although I had the fight a pick em, I just threw small on Pav by stoppage b/c of the odds).

2.) After the first round, I got on the phone with JD8 and we both agreeed that Talyor was going to be stopped...I felt pretty fucking dumb 60 seconds later.

3.) In the middle of the second round Pavlik was pretty much FORKED! DONE! Can't believe he survived. Unbelieveable.

4.) I agree with Hype - they were setting Jermain up for another bullshit decision. I had Pavlik winning 1, 3, 4, 6, 7.... I had Tayor winning 2, 5.

5.) I love the fact that Manny Steward came out a fucking loser here. He looks like such a jagoff for all the demeaning shit he was talking this week, and I have been saying forever that he's the most overrated trainer around.

6.) Jermain Taylor belongs back with Pat Burns.

7.) Manny Steward is no longer undefeated in the Poconos.

7.) Kelly Pavlik deserves to be middleweight champion. He is more sound than Taylor. Out-jabbed Taylor. He might not be as athletic, but he is more technically proficient, and he has the heart of a champion.

8.) I really like Jermain Taylor as a person. I have met him a few times, been in his camps. Gentlemen, he is a truly genuine kid. A real nice guy. He has become the puppet of a scumbag promoter, and a bullshit network. It's not his fault. He was thrust into a situation he was not yet seasoned enough to handle. He needs to put food on his table.

9.) Would Jermain Taylor REALLY want to excercise a rematch clause immediately? C'mon. Don't become another Shane Mosley, JT.

10.) Did I mention Taylor belongs with Pat Burns?

God bless both guys. Congratulations to Kelly Pavlik and his team. No nonsense motherfuckers from Steel Town. I dig it.

Motherfuck Lou Dibella. I mean, the entire boxing world is loving it Lou. How does it feel to know you are that not liked?

And to Pat Burns - take solice in the fact that Jermain Taylor looked the best he ever has under your tuteledge. They cut you the fuck loose because you were a scape goat. A patsy. The truth has set you free tonight, Pat, although I know you take no joy in seeing JT lose.
Lil-lightsout
Great fight! Say what you want about Pavlik, he has the heart of a champion. He may not be the most polished fighter in there, but he sure has some determination and some serious power. Maybe it would not hurt if he got another experienced trainer to help him. He is still young and could definately improve his game a little. As for Taylor, his future does not look too bright right about now.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Sep 30 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]359095[/snapback]
Great fight! Say what you want about Pavlik, he has the heart of a champion. He may not be the most polished fighter in there, but he sure has some determination and some serious power. Maybe it would not hurt if he got another experienced trainer to help him. He is still young and could definately improve his game a little. As for Taylor, his future does not look too bright right about now.

Didnt you see manny politicking after the fight??
Hodge
I'm about disgusted. I am sick and everyone around me are looking like i'm stupid. I can't believe J.T. went out like that. Damn !!!
PR316
I think Taylor can come back. He definitely could use some lessons in stopping a jab. Pavlik's jab landed at will and its not like Pavlik has great hand speed. But Taylor proved if nothing else, that he has the power to knock Pavlik out too if they fought again.

Now whether Taylor can put his craft together or not is another matter. Still hard to believe that Hopkins couldn't beat this guy cleanly enough to get a decision.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Sep 30 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]359096[/snapback]
Didnt you see manny politicking after the fight??

Yeah, I saw that too. Maybe for the rematch Manny will be working Pavlik's corner laugh.gif
Kijis Konar
QUOTE(PR316 @ Sep 30 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]359098[/snapback]
I think Taylor can come back. He definitely could use some lessons in stopping a jab. Pavlik's jab landed at will and its not like Pavlik has great hand speed. But Taylor proved if nothing else, that he has the power to knock Pavlik out too if they fought again.
Now whether Taylor can put his craft together or not is another matter. Still hard to believe that Hopkins couldn't beat this guy cleanly enough to get a decision.

Taylor, I believe, is a mentally weak fighter. Losing by a particularly brutal TKO won't help his confidence at all.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(PR316 @ Sep 30 2007, 12:37 AM) [snapback]359098[/snapback]

I keep hearing this from people... Pavlik=Conventional fighter, throws lots of punches. Hopkins=NOT a conventional fighter, conservative punch output. Taylor simply outworked Hopkins for 9 rounds. Pavlik outworked and outpunched Taylor. Great fight. Congrats to Pavlik and those who picked him to win. I hope they do it again...
torvix2000
I remembered Carlos Maussa! Hahaha!!! Pavlik is a more polished version.
Southeastpaw
Great win for Pavlik. He definitely deserved it. Tasted the canvas, was wishin he would have blocked at least some of those shots leading up to the KD in the 2nd, but got back up and did his thang. Now we got haters. LOL. I know that Pav isn't the sharpest fighter, but he does what he does and has so much determination and power, and most importantly, a heart of a champion. Pav is no bullshit, he is what you see and comes to fight 100% everytime. This is why I picked him to win and am a fan.

This was not only Taylor's first defeat, but Manny's first defeat of a fighter that he has fought in the Poconos.

And I too cannot understand how all three of the judges had Taylor ahead by those margins at the time of the stoppage. His entourage must be treatin these judges right or something.

And Fitz, I bet you were just glarin at the screen all pissed off. You thought it was a slop-filled fight, so I guess you did not enjoy it? I thought it was an awesome fight. But we all know you'd rather see Hatton win a hugfest than something like this. lol
JD
Watching the fight, I thought it was clear early on what was going to happen. Pavlik was just thisfar short with that right, it was a matter of time.

I think getting dropped hard by Zuniga helped him weather the storm in the second...believe it or not, I was fairly certain he was going to be ok. His demeanor allows him to stay calm, and he did when he needed to most...conversely, Taylor turned his back on Hopkins the one time he was truly hurt.

Once Pavlik was still standing after Taylor threw everything he had on him, the end was a forgone conclusion...it was just a matter of which round Taylor was going to be doing the wrong thing in and get caught. It happened to be the 7th.

Pavlik beats him worse at 168.

As an aside, are you FUCKING kidding me with those score cards!?!?!?
Jayhawkman
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 29 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]359105[/snapback]
I also disagree about Taylor being set up with another BS decision. I don't think Pavlik was doing all that well up until the stoppage and thought he was most definitely behind. I don't think Taylor is all that great either, I think he is a very sloppy fighter and this was probably bound to happen, but I think it's unfortunate that a hypejob is going to benefit from this.
It reminds me of Tarver, when that hypejob knocked Jones out (not saying Taylor is as good as Jones) and people thought Tarver was something for a while.

Fitz, you've made that extremely clear by saying the same think over and over again... give it a rest, and give it up to Pavlik he showed some serious heart and deserves this victory. I'm guessing by the way you're reacting you either lost a lot of money on the fight or are just a serious hater. So which is it???
hardhead
WHAT A FIGHT, Pavlic is a warrior, I didn't think he was going to make that 2nd round..but I saw the KO coming about 40 seconds before, one thing in ALL of Pavlic's fights is that he sometimes takes a few rounds to get going and usually about the 6th or 7th he starts to hit HARD and guys start wearing down, and in most of taylor's fights he fades down the stretch and you couls see he was fading a bit, once he got him on the ropes and hit him with that right hand then uppercut and left hook, BOOM taylor was crumpled on the canvas...

GREAT night, I don't mind a rematch and although I thinlk that Taylor may have spent himself in that 2nd and 3rd round I think ultimately the end result will be the same, just maybe a few rounds later..Pavlic took Jermain's best shots and kept coming and winning rounds on the the KO..

Hat's off to Taylor, he was very classy in a moment of extreme disappointment, he was looked very hurt, that's always a tough moment being a boxing fan seeing guys after they have those big losses...

Also I know it was partly to pump up his fighter(although I know he believed it probably) but Pavlic made Stewart look like an ass, Manny was straight disrespecting the hell out of Pavlic before the fight... laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Sep 30 2007, 04:14 AM) [snapback]359078[/snapback]
Taylor has no fuckin clue how to get off the ropes. WInky hammered him there now Pavlik did it.

Actually I thought Taylor was doing a good job of dancing off the ropes. The only reason he stayed there when he got knocked out was because he was hurt.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Fitz @ Sep 30 2007, 12:48 AM) [snapback]359105[/snapback]
I also disagree about Taylor being set up with another BS decision. I don't think Pavlik was doing all that well up until the stoppage and thought he was most definitely behind. I don't think Taylor is all that great either, I think he is a very sloppy fighter and this was probably bound to happen, but I think it's unfortunate that a hypejob is going to benefit from this.
It reminds me of Tarver, when that hypejob knocked Jones out (not saying Taylor is as good as Jones) and people thought Tarver was something for a while.

I agree with you to a point. I thought Taylor was ahead as well. I had it 3 rounds to 3, with the 2nd rnd knockdown being the difference. I think Pavlik is the goods. He is what he is. He is flawed in the same way that we saw taylor as flawed. They dont have the same flaw, but they are both flawed. Pavlik is gonna give most people in this division hell because of his size and punch output. He reminds me of a big Antonio Margarito. He can be outboxed and outqwicked as evidenced by Taylors handspeed. I dont think Pavlik is a hypejob at all. He'll make for some good Saturday nites on HBO...
BigG
Let's just hope we see a rematch. These two make for a great fight...reminded me of a 160 pound Vazquez-Marquez. I think Taylor showed that he was pretty big puncher himself...I mean, Pavlik was DONE in round 2 and Taylor just couldn't finish him.

To 5 fighters from 160-175

1. Bernard Hopkins
2. Joe Calzaghe
3. Mikke Kessler
4. Kelly Pavlik
5. Chad Dawson
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.