Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pavlik vs. Duddy: January 26th?: HBO
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
There is a possibility of Pavlik making his first defense against Duddy on St. Patricks Day. Yes, I believe it would be a war with Pavlik winning on experience, but it would be great for as long as it lasts.

I fucking hate Bob Arum and my reason why is this: I'll bet he just wants to use March 17th to make this fight a PPV. As good as this fight could be for action, it still is not PPV material. Pavlik is a fighter. WTF? He doesn't need a 5 month delay for a fight that could just as easily sell out MSG in January. I am sure that is what the old bastard is thinking. But make it a regular HBO fight in January as a wonderful way to ring in 2008! But if this fight materializes as a PPV, I am going to be pissed and so should all fellow boxing fans.

Jack
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Oct 1 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]359376[/snapback]
There is a possibility of Pavlik making his first defense against Duddy on St. Patricks Day. Yes, I believe it would be a war with Pavlik winning on experience, but it would be great for as long as it lasts.

I fucking hate Bob Arum and my reason why is this: I'll bet he just wants to use March 17th to make this fight a PPV. As good as this fight could be for action, it still is not PPV material. Pavlik is a fighter. WTF? He doesn't need a 5 month delay for a fight that could just as easily sell out MSG in January. I am sure that is what the old bastard is thinking. But make it a regular HBO fight in January as a wonderful way to ring in 2008! But if this fight materializes as a PPV, I am going to be pissed and so should all fellow boxing fans.

Jack

I think they're waiting to see if Lou Dibella enforces the rematch clause...I don't think that he has made a definite decision yet.
Michigan Assassin
This would be an amazing slugfest. I'd love to see this and wouldn't mind ponying up for PPV is the undercard was equally as action matched.

Pavlik should take this one, especially since Campos had Duddy on queer street. Campos can crack, don't get me wrong, but Pavlik has got to carry more power at 160.
The CEO
oooooo...I like that fight...Pavlik should win though...he's throws the harder, straighter punches....
JD
I would like to see Pavlik VS Zahir Raheem next.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(JD @ Oct 1 2007, 06:58 PM) [snapback]359412[/snapback]

What am I missing here?
BigG
Garbage fight......Pavlik will smoke Duddy. Duddy barely got by a old ass Yory Boy...
JD
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 1 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]359414[/snapback]
What am I missing here?

Nothing at all, bro. Next time Kelly Pavlik fights, I would like to see Zaheer Rahim across the ring -- crown and all.
BrutalBodyShots
I highly doubt Pavlik faces Duddy. Duddy needs to face some better competition before he steps in there with the best middleweight right now. I don't see what he has done to deserve a shot. How about Taylor-Duddy and the winner faces Pavlik. That sounds better.

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(JD @ Oct 1 2007, 08:24 PM) [snapback]359426[/snapback]
Nothing at all, bro. Next time Kelly Pavlik fights, I would like to see Zaheer Rahim across the ring -- crown and all.

LOL. Now that is some evil hate right there.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(JD @ Oct 1 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]359412[/snapback]

I agree, then Judah, Spinks & PBF. Spinks has proven he can run at 160 so it would be entertaining til he gets blasted.

The Judah one would be good too but I fear there would be no dancing from Zab unless you count seizures that is.

BigG
Zab would knock Pavlik clean the fuck out.

Look, when Taylor hit Spinks with a big right hand...it didn't do nothing to Cory. When Zab hit Cory with a quick left hand, it nearly knocked him the fuck out.

When Taylor hit Pavlik with a big right hand.....Taylor had Pavlik flopping around the ring.

Something tells me if Zab lands a quick straight to the jaw, he lays Pavlik out cold.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-vv1zud24w

laugh.gif

But in all seriousnes, the only good fights for Pavlik at 160 are Abraham and a JT rematch.....Duddy would just get slaughtered.
Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 2 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]359453[/snapback]
I agree, then Judah, Spinks & PBF. Spinks has proven he can run at 160 so it would be entertaining til he gets blasted.

The Judah one would be good too but I fear there would be no dancing from Zab unless you count seizures that is.

I was wondering when you were going to show up. How about that Storm? Just kidding man, I won't give you a hard time, I don't even really follow the NRL, though I watched the grand final. So getting an earful from me will kind of be annoying, kind of like a girl trying to pay out on you laugh.gif
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 2 2007, 02:50 AM) [snapback]359455[/snapback]
Zab would knock Pavlik clean the fuck out.

OK so Zab would KO Pavlova cool. If that is the case then what would Raheem the has been do? Dance him silly I think.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Duddy vs. Pavlik would be a war that could be closer than people anticipate. Duddy is not a bad fighter, and he can crack with both hands. I do think Pavlik would prevail in the late rounds, but I wouldn't put it beyond Duddy to stun Pavlik a few times throughout the fight. It would be explosive throughout, and would be a great fight to have on HBO or Showtime. I dont think Spinks is going to fight at middleweight again, but if he did im sure he'd welcome a fight with Pavlik. That'd be interesting too. Oh well we'll concentrate on Duddy-Pavlik for now. Pavlik TKO 10 over Duddy.
Kyle
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 2 2007, 03:33 AM) [snapback]359463[/snapback]
I was wondering when you were going to show up. How about that Storm? Just kidding man, I won't give you a hard time, I don't even really follow the NRL, though I watched the grand final. So getting an earful from me will kind of be annoying, kind of like a girl trying to pay out on you laugh.gif

I was at the game & I will admit to shedding a tear or 10 afterwards. I was very emotional afterwards. Did you tape the fight? I dunno if my PM went through but if you could send me a DVD that would be gold.

Fitz
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 2 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]359469[/snapback]
I was at the game & I will admit to shedding a tear or 10 afterwards. I was very emotional afterwards. Did you tape the fight? I dunno if my PM went through but if you could send me a DVD that would be gold.

Nah, I never got it man, I would have replied otherwise. Yeah not a problem, I will get it on DVD and send it to you. I will PM you once I have everything done.
Fitz
Actually I did get the PM, I just didn't know. Usually when I get a PM I get a 2nd pop up window the next time the page refreshes or something, I didn't get one of those today, I just saw a (1) next to new messages, sorry man.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 2 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]359471[/snapback]
Nah, I never got it man, I would have replied otherwise. Yeah not a problem, I will get it on DVD and send it to you. I will PM you once I have everything done.

Sweet it will make up for the salty tears I cried when we lost to fucking Melbourne.

2007 results

NRL: Melbourne
A League: Melbourne
ALF: Geelong (VIC)

What the fuck is next VIC to win the Pura cup & Ford Ranger cup?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 2 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]359471[/snapback]

Sweet it will make up for the salty tears I cried when we lost to fucking Melbourne.

2007 results

NRL: Melbourne
A League: Melbourne
ALF: Geelong (VIC)

What the fuck is next VIC to win the Pura cup & Ford Ranger cup?
gods son
Fuddy Duddy..

id rather see pavlik face carl froch.
Elijah
I haven't seen Duddy fight very many times, don't think many of his fights have been televised but from what I have seem of him I don't give him much of a chance to beat Pavlik. His hand speed and movement might give Pavlik some trouble for a few rounds but I think Pavlik will eventually wear him down. Don't know how good Duddy can fight going backwards either which is what I expect he will have to do the second half of the fight.

"WBC/WBO middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik will defend his world titles against WBO #2 ranked John Duddy on January 26 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City according to the Youngstown Vindicator. The bout will be televised on HBO and take place in the same venue where Pavlik dramatically dethroned Jermain Taylor last month.
Duddy (21-0, 16 KOs), who hails from Derry (N. Ireland) but now lives in Queens (New York City), broke training camp in the Pocono Mountains this past weekend and arrived in Ireland for Saturday nightís fight in Dublin against 19-year-old Prince Arron (10-2). Regarding him fighting Pavlik, or other contenders, Duddy said, "I donít read my press clippings or anybody elseís clips, but Iíve heard rumors and been asked about my next few fights. I leave that up to my promoter and manager. It is nice to be mentioned as part of plans for world champions and top contenders, but I have my own plans, and the idea has always been to work towards a title fight."
BigG
Pavlik TKO 6.
Tha Docta
duddy struggled badly against yory boy campas. pavlik wipes the floor with this joker.
stateofthegame
Unless something has changed Jermain said he was fighting Pavlik in Jan. on Arkansas radio the other day.
Mean Mister Mustard
You all remember how often Bonsante hit Duddy? Imagine Pavlik getting in clean shots like that. Fight might as well be stopped now.
NickBarker
It's probably a good idea that Taylor takes an interim bout and I imagine his team put his thinking in line with that.

Pavlik should, as you all have already said, almost kill John Duddy. He is an action fighter who throws with decent power, but that's about it. Pavlik, though far from perfect, is at the top of the world class and that is something I can't say about Duddy.

I was actually hoping that he would fight Sergio Mora because I'm convinced that Pavlik would have done what he's done 29 of 33 times to that bitch.
Southeastpaw
Nothing in boxing is a sure thing, but there are championship bouts that are as close to a sure thing as it can get. And this is one of them. Pavlik should destroy this kid. The question is in what round. 7 seems to be Pav's number, but I foresee a lower number for this one. Maybe 4.
Southeastpaw
Nothing in boxing is a sure thing, but there are championship bouts that are as close to a sure thing as it can get. And this is one of them. Pavlik should destroy this kid. The question is in what round. 7 seems to be Pav's number, but I foresee a lower number for this one. Maybe 4.
AussieLad
Does duddy carry any power to go with his speed? Pavlik looked a little slow for my liking, in comparison to jermaine, which is what got him dropped early.

I honestly dont expect duddy to beat pavlik, but not having seen him fight i cant tell whether he would be competitive.
hardhead
I've seen Duddy fight a few times and he's not a bad fighter but nothing special, he doesn't have great speed but he pretty technically sound and an all around well schooled fighter(I think he's had a lot of amateur exp), his defense is not great either so Pavlik will land. I agree with the others that Pavlik is going to destroy this kid and look good doing it, who knows if Duddy has a great chin it might last a little longer then expected...but I think Pavlik will walk him down and impose his will on Duddy and eventually stop him in the middle rounds..This is a good fight for pavik coming off his last two fights with Taylor and Miranda...

I kind of think it's a little odd that his management is putting him right in their with Pavlik and I'm not thinking it's because they think they can beat Pavlik or they saw something they can exploit but rather that they want to cash in on the big money fight because they know Duddy's future is limited..Kind of like feeding him to the wolves so to speak....
BrutalBodyShots
Duddy would be a sacrificial lamb in there with Pavlik at this point. I've never been big on ANYONE fighting the top guy in a division before they even face a single ranked guy in about the top 10. Shit Duddy needs to face a top 20-30 guy before we even talk about this. Pavlik KO 5 Duddy and destroys any potential career and momentum that Duddy MAY gain should he steer clear of Pavlik and simply work on fighting slightly better competition in every fight until he's about 28-0.

WolfishPromistah
I feel bad because I've seen both these guys fight. Sure, Duddy will try his darndest, no doubt. But I gotta quote Clubber Lang in regards to what I think will show us "down hill Duddy" time --

"Prediction (?)...[look in camera]...Paaaaaaiiiin."
hardhead
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 17 2007, 02:54 AM) [snapback]361490[/snapback]
Duddy would be a sacrificial lamb in there with Pavlik at this point. I've never been big on ANYONE fighting the top guy in a division before they even face a single ranked guy in about the top 10. Shit Duddy needs to face a top 20-30 guy before we even talk about this. Pavlik KO 5 Duddy and destroys any potential career and momentum that Duddy MAY gain should he steer clear of Pavlik and simply work on fighting slightly better competition in every fight until he's about 28-0.

I'm in agreement 100% and see it the exact same way....
hardhead
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Oct 17 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]361510[/snapback]
I feel bad because I've seen both these guys fight. Sure, Duddy will try his darndest, no doubt. But I gotta quote Clubber Lang in regards to what I think will show us "down hill Duddy" time --

Good one... thumbsup_anim.gif
Jack 1000
I'll say a KO 6 for Pavlik. It's a mismatch, but at least Duddy will brawl for as long as it lasts. It looks like an HBO airdate. Anything that is a non-PPV is WONDERFUL for boxing and its fans.

Jack
BigG
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Oct 17 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]361510[/snapback]

LOL...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

Duddy will get destroyed. I'd prefer to see a Taylor rematch.
singletrack
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Oct 17 2007, 08:32 AM) [snapback]361510[/snapback]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
singletrack
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 18 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]361577[/snapback]
I'd prefer to see a Taylor rematch.

Same.

NickBarker
I actually am looking forward to this fight. I want to see both Pavlik and Taylor in interim bouts before facing each other. I'd really love to see Jermain go after Edison Miranda at 168.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Oct 19 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]361644[/snapback]
I actually am looking forward to this fight. I want to see both Pavlik and Taylor in interim bouts before facing each other. I'd really love to see Jermain go after Edison Miranda at 168.

That would be a great fight, but I don't think Jermaines camp would be foolish to put him in with Miranda's power at this point. Taylor should stick to guys like Ouma, Spinks, and Winky(non-power punchers).
WolfishPromistah
I say that if you're going to give someone something to keep him from facing something else (a power puncher), then you'd best give him something that is gong to positively prepare him for what's to come from a power puncher still. Like why just put a guy in the ring with a non-power puncher? What does that get him that prepares him for a power puncher he should face anyway, as a champion caliber combatant?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Oct 19 2007, 06:05 PM) [snapback]361650[/snapback]
I say that if you're going to give someone something to keep him from facing something else (a power puncher), then you'd best give him something that is gong to positively prepare him for what's to come from a power puncher still. Like why just put a guy in the ring with a non-power puncher? What does that get him that prepares him for a power puncher he should face anyway, as a champion caliber combatant?

Taylor was undefeated for a long time, and it is no secret Pavlik was the first TRUE puncher he faced and look what happened. Why in the world would you throw your fighter in the ring with another power puncher right after he was brutally KO'd? Did you see what happened to Roy Jones after Tarver knocked him out? They put him too tough right away and he got KTFO again! Taylor should be thrown a few softies to maybe bring his confidence up. If he gets KO'd again in his next fight, his career would probably be over.
WolfishPromistah
But Glenn Johnson wasn't a notably hard puncher by repuation; with that in mind, there've been soft punchers to put guys out too, even though less likely (Sven Ottke over Mundine, anyone?). And again, what's to be gained as far as skill level is concerned, when Jermaine's already shown he can dance a fight away with a soft puncher? In other words, shouldn't his development, win or lose, be concentrated on his improvement in the areas most important to facing the most troublesome issue(s) that caused him not to be able to effectively counter the onslaught of the type of fighter that took him out?

See, a fighter should probably be able to improve against his errors in the best way that offers similarity to what he faced in defeat, in order to best improve against those difficulties that brought the defeat. Jermaine's game plan is what seems to have gotten him tied up, because he appears to have shown he can take some decent shots over a portion of a fight. Yet there's always that down the stretch activity I think we can agree tends to send him into an average tail spin, from observing his fights. Where he seems to have fallen short, from what I've observed, is mainly in particular areas (head movement, hands too low, not enough feints, recurring problem with stamina down the line in fights). All the things mentioned are ones he needs to work out. The question is whether he's going to be able to work them out against a soft puncher the way he would a hard puncher, and vice versa. Maybe in some ways it would be, as you say, advantageous to take on the softer puncher, but it really depends on the objective in my opinion.

He is not a child, after all, and also not an amateur. So he knows on the world stage it's a fight (pard the pun) 'cause he's required to work for it. He doesn't have to feel that it's necessary to take easy roads to glory, when there are tougher guys potentially coming up who'd work even harder in the same positon; when all they need is their chance to shine provided someone just looking for the quickest "soft-touch" is out of the game -- someone who's no more than taking up space -- the kind Jermaine Taylor seems not to wish to be. Thanks.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Oct 19 2007, 08:40 PM) [snapback]361662[/snapback]
But Glenn Johnson wasn't a notably hard puncher by repuation; with that in mind, there've been soft punchers to put guys out too, even though less likely (Sven Ottke over Mundine, anyone?). And again, what's to be gained as far as skill level is concerned, when Jermaine's already shown he can dance a fight away with a soft puncher? In other words, shouldn't his development, win or lose, be concentrated on his improvement in the areas most important to facing the most troublesome issue(s) that caused him not to be able to effectively counter the onslaught of the type of fighter that took him out?

See, a fighter should probably be able to improve against his errors in the best way that offers similarity to what he faced in defeat, in order to best improve against those difficulties that brought the defeat. Jermaine's game plan is what seems to have gotten him tied up, because he appears to have shown he can take some decent shots over a portion of a fight. Yet there's always that down the stretch activity I think we can agree tends to send him into an average tail spin, from observing his fights. Where he seems to have fallen short, from what I've observed, is mainly in particular areas (head movement, hands too low, not enough feints, recurring problem with stamina down the line in fights). All the things mentioned are ones he needs to work out. The question is whether he's going to be able to work them out against a soft puncher the way he would a hard puncher, and vice versa. Maybe in some ways it would be, as you say, advantageous to take on the softer puncher, but it really depends on the objective in my opinion.

He is not a child, after all, and also not an amateur. So he knows on the world stage it's a fight (pard the pun) 'cause he's required to work for it. He doesn't have to feel that it's necessary to take easy roads to glory, when there are tougher guys potentially coming up who'd work even harder in the same positon; when all they need is their chance to shine provided someone just looking for the quickest "soft-touch" is out of the game -- someone who's no more than taking up space -- the kind Jermaine Taylor seems not to wish to be. Thanks.

I hear ya man, and I do agree with what you are saying. I just think with his confidence level being so low right now, I do not think it would be a safe fight to put him right in there with say Miranda. Miranda hits hard and is tough as hell! I would fear how Taylor would react to a Miranda onslaught. But you are right, Taylor needs to work on many areas to rectify his problems in the ring if he wants to be champion again. IMO I think his toughest obstacle is going to be his self doubts he now has from getting KO'd.
BrutalBodyShots
Taylor needs to get a win in his next fight for mental reasons... he's got to boost his confidence. That said, he needs to be put in there with a guy that's a gauranteed win, and putting him in there with a puncher is NOT a gauranteed win.

Taylor needs to work on his fundamentals... being less sloppy and such. He does not need to work on these things against a big puncher.

NickBarker
I think you guys make some good points. It would probably not be wise for Taylor's handlers to put him in against Miranda right away. I merely commented upon how desirable that fight would be in terms of potential entertainment value. I'm unsure as to who would be a legitimate, but near-gimme status opponent at 168. Most of that division is over in Europe anyways.
BrutalBodyShots
For possible opponents at 168 that are beatable for Taylor that aren't big punchers I'd go with:

Tsypko: Solid guy that Lacy barely got by.
Manfredo: Slight name people know and pretty easy win.
Soliman: A good test for a first fight at 168, but he doesn't hit that hard.

If he were to take on someone that can crack a little I'd suggest Lacy since he is very beatable - but again that would be a risk because Lacy can punch.

NickBarker
I've heard that it's Manfredo v. Lacy on the Mayweather/Hatton undercard. That fight will have interesting ramifications for the division. If Manfredo wins, he gains some much needed credibility and it also shows that Lacy is basically done. On the other hand, should Lacy win, Manfredo returns to the ESPN level competition and Lacy becomes a decent contender again.

If Manfredo were to win, but in his usual, unimpressive manner, Taylor would be wise to take a fight with him. Tsypko is also a good suggestion. As for Soliman, he can be pretty tough.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Oct 20 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]361729[/snapback]
If Manfredo were to win, but in his usual, unimpressive manner, Taylor would be wise to take a fight with him. Tsypko is also a good suggestion. As for Soliman, he can be pretty tough.

Sure Soliman can be tough - he's a durable guy that can throw a lot of shots, but he isn't a power puncher like Pavlik. Soliman has lost 2 of his last 5 and is the type of guy that loses to top level competition. If Taylor can't beat him IMO Taylor isn't top level any longer, so it would be a good test to see where Taylor stands after his first loss.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.