Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DiBella takes a shot at Steward...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Method
http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-arti...ematch-rematch/

"Taylor should've knocked Pavlik out in the second," Dibella said. "He ran out of gas. He was way ahead on the scorecards, I don't care what Harold Lederman says. I did think Emanuel Steward gave him the worst corner instructions ever..."
singletrack
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 2 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]359540[/snapback]

hahahahaha. What a jackass. If that is a legitimate quote, then Lou is well on his way to being blacklisted by the best trainers out there. How does talking about your "team" with the media do anything constructive?

I have to re-watch the fight to hear all the corner advice. I do recall Stewart telling JT that Pavlik "can't fight at this pace", which I thought was absolutely insane.

I also think it's funny that moron Taylor couldn't fire any straight shots or uppercuts to take out Pavlik when he was still clearly wobbly (should have stayed down until eight instead of pulling a Judah and jumping up). So if Lou is going to go around blaming people, why not pick on his fighter as well.

While they are having a doctor look at him, they should have a doctor check his awful reaction times. I wonder if he gets worked by all his boys in video games?

Chi-Town
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 2 2007, 02:49 PM) [snapback]359540[/snapback]

That's gotta be Lou speaking out of anger. I personally saw nothing wrong with the advice he recieved from Steward. The loss came from his obvious poor amateur training. Taylor has fundamental flaws that will always prevent him from beating guys that can match his size and/or athleticism. I don't care who's in your corner, when the other guy can hit you in the face at will, you're usuallly gonna lose at the championship level. The only thinkg i think Steward can be blamed for is not having him prepared for the possibility of getting hurt and knowing what to do.
Fitz
What a moron. Some sour grapes. What's wrong with putting some of the heat on Taylor? He was the one with a guy that was nearly out of his feet in front of him.
stateofthegame
Lou was on Arkansas radio yesterday saying the same things. It is the whole teams fault in my opinion. This is not the first time Taylor has tired in fights, he has tired in every fight. This should have been addressed years ago instead everyone was telling Jermain how great he was instead of fixing his flaws, and why is this because Jermain cannot take criticism. He basically quit talking to the press because people were pointing out his flaws and he could not take it.

I mean seriously, the middleweight champion of the world should not be tired after trying to finish off a wounded opponent in the second round. The kid had not even fought 10 minutes and he was that tired. Give me a break, you are the champ and you cannot fight for more than 6 minutes.

Look I have written article after article talking about Taylor and his "I'm Rich" attitude. I have said on numerous occasions that when a fighter starts talking about his money the end is near and a loss is just around the corner. All I ever got was that I hate Jermain e-mails, but I was speaking the truth and now that Taylor has lost we will see tons of people jumping off the bandwagon, it was already starting to empty after his last 3 fights.

Coming into this fight all you heard was how average Pavlik was and that he did not even deserve a shot. Steward basically called him a bum, yet the bum knocked your guy out. They are calling this fight the 2nd best middleweight fight of all time behind Hager-Hearns yet Manny has lost both of those fights.
X3_Bazooka_X3
I dont think there was anything that Stewart could have told Taylor that might have changed the out come, Taylor was looking to make a statement in this fight and it back fired on him big time, the rematch might just show us a different Taylor rather than to go out there and box he might just freeze up knowing he was knocked out by this kid.
The CEO
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Oct 2 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]359566[/snapback]
Lou was on Arkansas radio yesterday saying the same things. It is the whole teams fault in my opinion. This is not the first time Taylor has tired in fights, he has tired in every fight. This should have been addressed years ago instead everyone was telling Jermain how great he was instead of fixing his flaws, and why is this because Jermain cannot take criticism. He basically quit talking to the press because people were pointing out his flaws and he could not take it.

I mean seriously, the middleweight champion of the world should not be tired after trying to finish off a wounded opponent in the second round. The kid had not even fought 10 minutes and he was that tired. Give me a break, you are the champ and you cannot fight for more than 6 minutes.

Look I have written article after article talking about Taylor and his "I'm Rich" attitude. I have said on numerous occasions that when a fighter starts talking about his money the end is near and a loss is just around the corner. All I ever got was that I hate Jermain e-mails, but I was speaking the truth and now that Taylor has lost we will see tons of people jumping off the bandwagon, it was already starting to empty after his last 3 fights.

Coming into this fight all you heard was how average Pavlik was and that he did not even deserve a shot. Steward basically called him a bum, yet the bum knocked your guy out. They are calling this fight the 2nd best middleweight fight of all time behind Hager-Hearns yet Manny has lost both of those fights.

Good fuckin' post. So true...
Method
...and personally, I didn't really see Jermain tired, in a gassed sense. Sure, he may have needed to take a breather after firing away in the second round and let off the gas towards the end of that round to catch his breath, but I personally didn't see him in any way shape or form near being gassed, say, the likes of Vivian Harris versus Carlos Maoussa (sp?)...or, maybe on a lesser level, a Charles Brewer versus Antwun Echols. Taylor came out firing in the 3rd and 4th, although I thought he lost both those rounds, and he came out firing in the fith, which, IMO was one of his two best rounds (and the only other round I gave him).

To me, it was obvious Pavlik was landing more, and landing the more telling shots. JT ate that jab all night long. Eventually, that shit wears you down. Now Lou wants to hire a phsician or therapist to look into Jermains stamina issue? I didn't see that. That seems like some bullshit. You wanna combat what Team Taylor is trying to pass off as stamina issues? Teach the kid to duck.

As for Manny, I have thought for the longest time he's one of the most overrated. I think it's hilarious Lou is dogging him out, because Lou was one of the guys that REALLY wanted Pat Burns OUT! Pat Burns hated Lou Dibella as part of the team and Lou hated Pat. Lou wanted Manny in and Lou got him. Problem is, Manny is overrated. All that bullshit Manny was talking before the fight, and then in the corner? This isn't the first time his corner instructions left people scratching their heads.

JT needs to get back with Pat Burns. Or get with Naazim Richardson....or somebody that can teach. Not some rolling stone that comes up with a zillion and one reasons why his latest fighters' defeat is someone else's fault.
Fitz
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Oct 3 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]359566[/snapback]
They are calling this fight the 2nd best middleweight fight of all time behind Hager-Hearns

Really?
Method
My ass.
Fitz
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 3 2007, 10:22 AM) [snapback]359579[/snapback]
My ass.

Is that a reply to 2nd greatest middleweight fight in history?
The CEO
This wasn't the 2nd greatest Middleweight fight in History.

It didn't even occur to me as a top 10 when it went down....it was on a "damn good fight" level to me....
stateofthegame
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Oct 3 2007, 06:18 AM) [snapback]359583[/snapback]

It didn't even occur to me as a top 10 when it went down....it was on a "damn good fight" level to me....

I would agree. It was a good fight, but I have read several accounts of people including Dibella and Arum calling it the second greatest.

BY the way Meth, I think Jermain needs to find another trainer and not go back to Burns. I felt he had come as far as he could with Pat, but I felt Pat should have be around because when Pat was there he controlled the situations. No entourage, no nonsense. I like Burns, but I still think it is time to go another direction.
Fitz
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Oct 3 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]359583[/snapback]

Exactly. Rounds 2 and 7 were good for obvious reasons, the rest nothing really great happened. The rounds weren't flat out boring, but they weren't oozing with excitement either. It was enough to keep the viewer happy and entertained. The fight wasn't fought at a high level of skill either. I think there have been much better fights.
singletrack
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 2 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]359577[/snapback]
You wanna combat what Team Taylor is trying to pass off as stamina issues? Teach the kid to duck.

hahahahahahaha
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Oct 2 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]359566[/snapback]

laugh.gif Manny been hittin dat PCP again.
Akalabah
I think Stewart's direction was right on. I felt Taylor was fading. He had a great 5th round, but a terrible 6th. And Kelly was winning the 7th until he knocked his ass out.

Taylor was swinging hard and fast, and looked better than I've ever seen him. Props to Emmanuel for finally getting him to look like a middleweight contender.

Can't wait for the rematch. I hope Jermain stays at Krunk, and I hope he stays at 160. I doubt he can take a punch at 168, and he has no defense to avoid a punch at 168.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 2 2007, 08:17 PM) [snapback]359577[/snapback]
...and personally, I didn't really see Jermain tired, in a gassed sense. Sure, he may have needed to take a breather after firing away in the second round and let off the gas towards the end of that round to catch his breath, but I personally didn't see him in any way shape or form near being gassed, say, the likes of Vivian Harris versus Carlos Maoussa (sp?)...or, maybe on a lesser level, a Charles Brewer versus Antwun Echols. Taylor came out firing in the 3rd and 4th, although I thought he lost both those rounds, and he came out firing in the fith, which, IMO was one of his two best rounds (and the only other round I gave him).

To me, it was obvious Pavlik was landing more, and landing the more telling shots. JT ate that jab all night long. Eventually, that shit wears you down. Now Lou wants to hire a phsician or therapist to look into Jermains stamina issue? I didn't see that. That seems like some bullshit. You wanna combat what Team Taylor is trying to pass off as stamina issues? Teach the kid to duck.

As for Manny, I have thought for the longest time he's one of the most overrated. I think it's hilarious Lou is dogging him out, because Lou was one of the guys that REALLY wanted Pat Burns OUT! Pat Burns hated Lou Dibella as part of the team and Lou hated Pat. Lou wanted Manny in and Lou got him. Problem is, Manny is overrated. All that bullshit Manny was talking before the fight, and then in the corner? This isn't the first time his corner instructions left people scratching their heads.

JT needs to get back with Pat Burns. Or get with Naazim Richardson....or somebody that can teach. Not some rolling stone that comes up with a zillion and one reasons why his latest fighters' defeat is someone else's fault.

That stamina issue is total bullshit. Steward stated in the final presser that Taylor is the most conditioned athlete leading up to this fight that he has ever trained. I agree with you that I don't think he was fatigues of very tired. No more than most any other fighter come the 7th. To tell you the truth, if you fast forward that fight only to the 7th round, you'd be surprised at how fresh BOTH fighters look. They were pretty quick for it being the 7th and with the pace they were working at up until the 7th. Taylor might have started to fell the pace, which is why he got caught probably. But he was not fatigued. But the difference is that Pavlik would have kept that pace whereas I am almost certain that Jermaine would not have. I don't understand why Lou has to be such an idiot, if they are going to look into his stamina issues thinking that is the problem, then they are never going to fix the real issue. I'm sure Taylor was conditioned for 12 rounds. But the way I noticed he was wasting energy was from all the nervous energy he was fighting with early. And even with that, he was not gassed at the time of the stoppage. Saying he threw himself out in the 2nd is a very lame excuse.
BrutalBodyShots
I wouldn't put the fight anywhere better than about 10th in a top 10 list of GOAT middleweight fights. 2nd? Please. That said I felt it was a very good fight without question, but one of the GOAT didn't even cross my mind.

It's pretty clear to me that Dibella kept Taylor away from punchers for a reason for years. I always said that when he faced one he would lose. At 168 Taylor is only going to find guys that crack harder than at 160, so my opinion is that Taylor will simply lose more if he moves to 168. His best bet is to call out some 154 pounders to fight him at 160 and do his best to eek out close decisions over them.

Snoop
Miranda/Pavlik was twice as exciting as this fight and received less than half of the acclaim.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Oct 3 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]359640[/snapback]
Miranda/Pavlik was twice as exciting as this fight and received less than half of the acclaim.

I loved the Miranda fight, but it was a pretty dominate performance by Pavlik. The Taylor fight was m ore competitive, it was a title fight, and also both fighters were down. Thought this was better than the Miranda fight.
Milk Dud
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 3 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]359641[/snapback]
I loved the Miranda fight, but it was a pretty dominate performance by Pavlik. The Taylor fight was m ore competitive, it was a title fight, and also both fighters were down. Thought this was better than the Miranda fight.

agree as well. There was far more drama in this fight than the Pantera fight. While Pavlik and Miranda did go toe to toe more often you could see where Miranda was wilting badly
yuca
Method pointed out that Taylor should learn to duck, I might add he better learn to keep that left hand up too.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Oct 3 2007, 11:20 AM) [snapback]359640[/snapback]

Co-sign
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Oct 3 2007, 12:49 PM) [snapback]359649[/snapback]
Co-sign

Disagree,

Because while Pavlik-Miranda was entertaining, it was more one-sided than Pavik-Taylor. This had great two way action and a come back from getting knocked down KO. It is hard to top fights like that. It's not quite in the area of all-time ring classics that the media is making it out to be. But for fights this year, I would put it 3rd. That is, behind the Vasquez-Marquez wars.

Jack
singletrack

No way. That was a total one sided victory and Pavlik was never in trouble. Neither guy was considered elite at the time, and there were no belts on the line.
singletrack

No way. That was a total one sided victory and Pavlik was never in trouble. Neither guy was considered elite at the time, and there were no belts on the line.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(yuca @ Oct 3 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]359645[/snapback]
Method pointed out that Taylor should learn to duck, I might add he better learn to keep that left hand up too.

Make that both hands. I said it before and I'll say it again Taylor has the worst defense I've ever seen at the championship level (aside from maybe some heavyweight title challengers)
BrutalBodyShots
Taylor has always left that "awesome left jab" out there after throwing it, just inviting his opponent to clock him with right hands. I've said this for years back when everyone was all over Taylor's jab prior to Hopkins taking it away from him. Taylor's jab was always mediocre in my opinion, and has been worse than average since facing Hopkins.

Snoop
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 3 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]359641[/snapback]

Good points.

Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Oct 3 2007, 01:29 PM) [snapback]359651[/snapback]
Disagree,

Because while Pavlik-Miranda was entertaining, it was more one-sided than Pavik-Taylor. This had great two way action and a come back from getting knocked down KO. It is hard to top fights like that. It's not quite in the area of all-time ring classics that the media is making it out to be. But for fights this year, I would put it 3rd. That is, behind the Vasquez-Marquez wars.

Jack

Taylor-Pavlik was more competitive but other than rounds 2 and 7 I though it was a rather mediocre fight. Miranda-Pavlik had much more back and forth action...
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Oct 4 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]359724[/snapback]
Taylor-Pavlik was more competitive but other than rounds 2 and 7 I though it was a rather mediocre fight. Miranda-Pavlik had much more back and forth action...

No it didn't. You must be thinking of a different fight. The Miranda fight was pretty much a one-sided beat down. While it was a very entertaining fight, Pavlik was dominating enroute to a stoppage. The first couple rounds may have been a bit competitive, but I am hard pressed to find any round to have given to Miranda. But you are one guy that looks at things pretty oddly, so your view of the fight does not surprise me in the least. Actually it would have surprised me if you thought that the Taylor fight was more competitive.
_iodine_
DiBella is pretty classless to dog a trainer after his bread-n-butter fighter loses and people can say whatever they want about Steward but trainers say what their fighters need to hear in-between rounds. Taylor was getting tagged with right hands all night because he constantly keeps that left hand dangling like a pendulum on a grandfather clock around his waist, one of the worst things you can do against a power puncher. Manny Had to have told him on numerous occasions to keep that left hand up, especially when he got backed up into corners.

As much as I was happy to see Taylor get knocked out, I do feel bad for him. Not for losing but for being put so high up on a pedestal without knowing what it is to lose. He's been awarded way too many unwarranted decisions, and in the end it made him fall that much harder when the inevitability of defeat finally caught up with him.
caneman
QUOTE(_iodine_ @ Oct 4 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]359750[/snapback]
DiBella is pretty classless to dog a trainer after his bread-n-butter fighter loses and people can say whatever they want about Steward but trainers say what their fighters need to hear in-between rounds. Taylor was getting tagged with right hands all night because he constantly keeps that left hand dangling like a pendulum on a grandfather clock around his waist, one of the worst things you can do against a power puncher. Manny Had to have told him on numerous occasions to keep that left hand up, especially when he got backed up into corners.

As much as I was happy to see Taylor get knocked out, I do feel bad for him. Not for losing but for being put so high up on a pedestal without knowing what it is to lose. He's been awarded way too many unwarranted decisions, and in the end it made him fall that much harder when the inevitability of defeat finally caught up with him.

at least he'll know what it's like to get KTFO in the rematch laugh.gif
buford54
Ditto.
Taylor is a good kid who was kind of forced into things he wasn't ready for. He said he wasn't ready for Hopkins, but had to fight him. Since then he's been put in against Wright, Ouma and Spinks, and never gotten any credit for "not losing."

DiBella is a piece of trash. While I respect Steward greatly, I feel like his recent schtick has been to hand-pick only fighters who are large for their division (Lewis, Cintron, Taylor, Klitschko).
He then only has to teach the jab/right/clinch combo, and he automatically has winning fighters. Mind you, Cintron hasn't fallen into that yet...but we'll see.
So, when his large middleweight meets someone larger, who can tag him from the outside, they're in somewhat uncharted waters.

That said, DiBella is the one who picked Steward...and to then start trashing the team of your cash cow...just classless. Keep that internal. He needs to grow up and be a professional.
rayray
QUOTE(buford54 @ Oct 4 2007, 08:41 PM) [snapback]359783[/snapback]
Ditto.
Taylor is a good kid who was kind of forced into things he wasn't ready for. He said he wasn't ready for Hopkins, but had to fight him. Since then he's been put in against Wright, Ouma and Spinks, and never gotten any credit for "not losing."

DiBella is a piece of trash. While I respect Steward greatly, I feel like his recent schtick has been to hand-pick only fighters who are large for their division (Lewis, Cintron, Taylor, Klitschko).
He then only has to teach the jab/right/clinch combo, and he automatically has winning fighters. Mind you, Cintron hasn't fallen into that yet...but we'll see.
So, when his large middleweight meets someone larger, who can tag him from the outside, they're in somewhat uncharted waters.

That said, DiBella is the one who picked Steward...and to then start trashing the team of your cash cow...just classless. Keep that internal. He needs to grow up and be a professional.

Spot on, Lou was back-stabbing Burns for years trying to get Manny in there

Perhaps Lou should've done a better job of matchmaking and keeping his fighter active
buford54
Absolutely. He strikes me as a punk who has never taken responsibility for any of his actions. As soon as something goes wrong, he shifts the blame.
singletrack
Well since we are on the topic of Lou being a scumbag, which I think was Method's intent ; ), what about the Malignaggi Cotto fight? Talk about throwing someone to the wolves. I know that Paul fought bravely and he wasn't totally blown out of the fight, but there is no way he was ready for Cotto at that point in his career. On the other hand, it did get him on the map - at least with boxing enthusiasts.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(singletrack @ Oct 5 2007, 10:25 AM) [snapback]359869[/snapback]
Well since we are on the topic of Lou being a scumbag, which I think was Method's intent ; ), what about the Malignaggi Cotto fight? Talk about throwing someone to the wolves. I know that Paul fought bravely and he wasn't totally blown out of the fight, but there is no way he was ready for Cotto at that point in his career. On the other hand, it did get him on the map - at least with boxing enthusiasts.

lou screwed paulie by letting him fight cotto in a ring the size of a phone booth. other than that, nobody would know who paulie was if he didnt fight cotto.
jlupi
on anouther note. If i heard correctly burns says, in the interview on front page, that he has always had success against winky? who did he train that defeated winky?

I could swear thats what he said, unless he meant southpaws
Method
Yes, Fitz. Lou did let them move the weih in up, ultimately giving Cotto much more time to get back to his heavier, hydrated self.

Well since we are on the topic of Lou being a scumbag, which I think was Method's intent ; ),

Not at all. Just thin,k it's funny that, after he is successful getting Burns out and Steward in, he is now dogging Emmanuel in the media. IMO, telling Taylor he was down, even if the scorecards had him ahead, was fine, as I HAD Taylor LOSING TOO! IMO, what Steward did was no where near as bad as what Papa Trinidad did to his son vs, Hopkins....just assuring him he's winning round after round.
singletrack
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 5 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]359953[/snapback]
Not at all. Just thin,k it's funny that, after he is successful getting Burns out and Steward in, he is now dogging Emmanuel in the media.

In any event, I think his actions speak for themselves - so we are on the same page there.

IMO, telling Taylor he was down, even if the scorecards had him ahead, was fine, as I HAD Taylor LOSING TOO! IMO, what Steward did was no where near as bad as what Papa Trinidad did to his son vs, Hopkins....just assuring him he's winning round after round.

I definitely agree. I firmly believe the fight was fixed or there was some kind of influence being used. The judges should all be investigated IMO. At the very least, they should be evaluated on their ability to accurately score a boxing match.

With the exception of the "he can't fight at this pace" nonsense, I think Steward did fine. Honestly, JT SHOULD have won the fight if he had stuck to the fundamentals when he had Pavlik hurt.

neophyte7
Lou Dibella is an asshole. IN MY VIEW ( I CANNOT PROVE IT) His HBO connections brought Taylor all the hype he undeservedly got. His connections also allowed him to win his lawsuit against Hopkins and allowed his fraud fighter to get his victories over Hopkins and Wright; two fighters that HBO hated in terms of style.

go to hell Dibella... Your boy got his ass kicked against by Pavlik a guy the public demanded to see against your country boy fraud. EMMANUEL talked so much shit and was not man enough to be on camera with Taylor when Merchant questioned him in the locker room. I called it like some others did , I knew that Taylor was headed for a KO... I don't even think he beat Spinks... a draw a best.
The CEO
QUOTE(neophyte7 @ Oct 6 2007, 01:20 AM) [snapback]360003[/snapback]
EMMANUEL talked so much shit and was not man enough to be on camera with Taylor when Merchant questioned him in the locker room.

That really pissed me off...he cold left Taylor alone at his lowest.

(adds Steward to Most Hated List)

Method
IMO, it was only close b/c of the 2nd rnd KD. Without the KD, I would have had the fight 4-2 for Pavlik, or, if he would have won the 2nd (I understand this is hypothetical and irresponsible to factor out the KD), I would have had it 5-1 for Kelly. He landed the cleaner, more telling blows. Outjabbed the jabber. Basically did what he wanted, excluding the hiccup in the 2nd.
stateofthegame
What is funny is that Lou is telling everyone that he did not get rid of Burns and hire Manny. He is telling everyone that Ozell Nelson was the one who brought in Manny, that it was Nelson's decision, but I know for a fact that Lou hated Burns and always talked about what a horrible trainer he was.
caneman
QUOTE(Method @ Oct 6 2007, 08:34 AM) [snapback]360017[/snapback]
IMO, it was only close b/c of the 2nd rnd KD. Without the KD, I would have had the fight 4-2 for Pavlik, or, if he would have won the 2nd (I understand this is hypothetical and irresponsible to factor out the KD), I would have had it 5-1 for Kelly. He landed the cleaner, more telling blows. Outjabbed the jabber. Basically did what he wanted, excluding the hiccup in the 2nd.

i have watched that fight several times now & tried to see what the judges seen & just could not do it...more interesting in my opinion was that i could NOT even see what compubox seen! i did not see JT landing 69% of his power shots, nor did i see him LAND(the key word here)182 jabs to pavlik's 180! i find it crazy but maybe it's me....i just didn't see that @ all! so let me ask all y'all, am i the only one that didn't see what the judges or compubox seen? aggressive.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.