Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Welterweight Division
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
Everything has now fallen into place for all the stars to fight eachother. Now that Floyd is gone (sort of, maybe) There is a bunch of boxings best just waiting to fight eachother. None of these guys seem like the types of guys that would duck someone.

I personally would love to see Paul go ahead and fight DHop and take him outta contention. Both tall guys for the class, but Paul would take him out. Then I would love to see Berto fight Clottey for a title shot. This would be an AWESOME fight. I couldn't tell you who would win, but it would be a good one. We already have Cotto fighting Mosley, this is another toss-up for me. Then I think that now that Cintron is a champ, I believe he should give Margarito a shot and give himself a shot at redemption. Personally I need to see him redeem himself against Tony before I can give him major props for anything. The division is deep and there is no reason why we should not be seeing these guys fighting eachother. Then hopefully the winners of all these matches do the right thing and unify. But whoever wins a Berto/Clottey fight should definitely get a title shot, preferrably against Williams.

147 is blowin up and this is my fantasy match-ups.

What's your takes on the future of the division.
Maxy
For me it would be great if Cotto knocked out Mosley and boxed the winner of Hatton-Mayweather. In the meantime I'd like to see Williams defend against, and beat, both Berto/Clottey and Cintron before facing the winner of the Cotto-Mosley-Mayweather-Hatton winner.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Maxy @ Oct 2 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]359575[/snapback]
For me it would be great if Cotto knocked out Mosley and boxed the winner of Hatton-Mayweather. In the meantime I'd like to see Williams defend against, and beat, both Berto/Clottey and Cintron before facing the winner of the Cotto-Mosley-Mayweather-Hatton winner.

That would be awesome. I am wondering what Hatton's plans would be after this fight though. I mean what division would he reside in for the time being. And would Floyd go back into retirement?

I really want to see a Berto/Clottey fight though. I love this match-up.
salvador
If Cotto beats Mosley, then look for Cotto-DLH next spring.

If Floyd beats Hatton and Mosley beats Cotto, Floyd-Mosley will happen next spring.

If Floyd beats Hatton (and really, why I'm bothering with the "ifs" on this is beyond me) and Cotto beats Mosley, Floyd will be without a serious dance partner. My guess is that he'll fight Mosley anyway because he wants absolutely no part of Williams. Williams-Floyd will never happen.

Then that takes us to the second tier guys (Williams is included here even though for my money he's #1 at 147): Williams, MArgarito, Clottey, Berto, Judah, Cintron. My guess is that Judah will take at least 2 more tune ups before a big fight, so that leaves him out. I'd LOVE to see Williams fight Clottey. I'd love to see Berto fight Cintron. Margarito's the one guy here that seems to be left out in the cold - just a guess.

This really is an unbelievable time to be a boxing fan.

Just for kicks, my ww division rankings are as follows:

1. Williams
2. Floyd
3. Margarito
4. Cotto
5. Clottey
6. Mosley
7. Cintron
8. Judah
9. Berto

And assuming that DLH comes to 147, I'd put him between Margarito and Cotto.

That's 10 serious names in one division. When has this ever happened???????
stateofthegame
Cotto over Mosley
Clottey over Berto
Williams over Hopkins
Cintron over Margarito

2nd round
Cotto over Clottey
Williams over Cintron

Final
Cotto over Williams

Honestly I expect Cotto to beat Mosley and then face the winner of Hatton-Mayweather while the rest of the division sorts itself out over the next year.
JD
Williams will rematch Margarito early next year.
Lil-lightsout
I have seen Williams fight several times, and to be honest, he does not impress me that much. I would pick Mayweather, Mosley, Cotto, Berto, and even Cintron over him.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Oct 2 2007, 10:26 PM) [snapback]359591[/snapback]
I have seen Williams fight several times, and to be honest, he does not impress me that much. I would pick Mayweather, Mosley, Cotto, Berto, and even Cintron over him.

How do any of them get past his size and punch output?? They will avoid him like the plague. Mayweather will retire again before facing Paul Williams. The rest of them are just waaay to small in my opinion.
Fitz
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Oct 3 2007, 01:02 PM) [snapback]359592[/snapback]
How do any of them get past his size and punch output?? They will avoid him like the plague. Mayweather will retire again before facing Paul Williams. The rest of them are just waaay to small in my opinion.

That's the thing man. None of this was Williams fault and it's a bonus he is built like this. I would just love to see how he would fair if he didn't have such big physical advantages. I think this is where his edge comes from in just about all of his fights and not so much his awesome boxing ability. He isn't a bad fighter though, I just think the way he is physically plays a much bigger role.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 2 2007, 06:52 PM) [snapback]359573[/snapback]
Everything has now fallen into place for all the stars to fight eachother. Now that Floyd is gone (sort of, maybe) There is a bunch of boxings best just waiting to fight eachother. None of these guys seem like the types of guys that would duck someone.

I personally would love to see Paul go ahead and fight DHop and take him outta contention. Both tall guys for the class, but Paul would take him out. Then I would love to see Berto fight Clottey for a title shot. This would be an AWESOME fight. I couldn't tell you who would win, but it would be a good one. We already have Cotto fighting Mosley, this is another toss-up for me. Then I think that now that Cintron is a champ, I believe he should give Margarito a shot and give himself a shot at redemption. Personally I need to see him redeem himself against Tony before I can give him major props for anything. The division is deep and there is no reason why we should not be seeing these guys fighting eachother. Then hopefully the winners of all these matches do the right thing and unify. But whoever wins a Berto/Clottey fight should definitely get a title shot, preferrably against Williams.

147 is blowin up and this is my fantasy match-ups.

What's your takes on the future of the division.

The Welterweight Division is awesome right now and should stay that way for a few more years.First off I would like the winners of Mosley-Cotto & Mayweather-Hatton to fight and unify the WBC/WBA/RING Titles at Welterweight.A rematch between Margarito-Williams is a must.Also I like the Cintron-Berto fight that somebody mentioned earlier with the winner facing the Margarito-Williams winner.That would unify the WBO/IBF Titles which sets up a MONSTER MATCHUP with the other unified Champ.Forget about D.hopkins, I love Bernard, but his nephew aint no threat to these guys.He couldn't even beat little Forbes even though he got the dec.If Oscar wants to get involved here that makes it more interesting.Oscar versus any of the guys listed above would be a big fight.I think Judah and Collozo are good fighters, but non factors when you consider the top guys at Welter.Clottey is solid, but he already lost to Margarito who lost to Williams so he needs a Huge win to get back into contention.Either way, you cant go wrong with this division.Did I forget anyone?
singletrack
I see Cotto beating Mosley and Mayweather beating Hatton. I think Arum will be able to get PBF to take on Cotto after that. Although if DLH is interested, then that would be a bigger money fight for Cotto. Personally I'd rather see him fight PBF because it is a more significant fight. I don't see how PBF would EVER be able to live down not fighting Cotto if they both win their fights. Who knows if DLH can really make 147 again?

I'm curious to see how long Paul Williams can make weight. I really wonder how many calories that dude eats during the day, it can't be fun.

I'm not real confident in Judah's future because of his shitty team and his first showing after the Cotto fight. A beating like that can really end a fighters career, but he has never been one to get up for the small fights. At least not recently.

Berto looks really dangerous, but he still has some huge flaws, especially on defense. Put a guy like him in with Cintron, as an example, and he will probably get put to sleep. But I REALLY like him as a fighter, he just needs to take less shots. I think his conditioning could be suspect as well - more muscular fighters often have problems.

Margarito might actually knock someone out again if he learns to throw straight shots.

...just some random thoughts.

STEVENSKI
Williams can be beaten he just needs someone who is prepared to maul his scrawny arse & bang to the body. He will fold like 2 ply Kleenex. Hatton is too small at 147 but Cotto is just right IMO.

Akalabah
QUOTE(salvador @ Oct 2 2007, 06:28 PM) [snapback]359582[/snapback]
Just for kicks, my ww division rankings are as follows:
1. Williams
2. Floyd
3. Margarito
4. Cotto
5. Clottey
6. Mosley
7. Cintron
8. Judah
9. Berto

No doubt Williams looks tough, but here is how i have it
1. Mayweather
2. Cotto
3. Mosley
4. Williams
5. Margarito
6. Cintron
7. Clottey
8. Berto
9. Judah

Jose Luis Castillo only one to come close to beating Floyd in that first fight, and even then I thought Floyd one UD. Gotta put him up there. Out of that group, I think Williams is the only one I would bet money on against Floyd. His punch output alone will win a decision over the defensive minded Floyd. His reach would force floyd to get inside and fight, which I can't see him doing. However, I would much rather see Sugar Shane knock Floyd on his ass, which I think is possible, but I wouldn't put money on it. Cotto is great and I like him, but I hope Shane wins and takes on Floyd next year.
BigG
1. Floyd Mayweather
2. Miguel Cotto
3. Shane Mosley
4. Paul Williams
5. Antonio Margarito
6. Zab Judah
7. Joshua Clottey
8. Kermit Cintron
9. Andre Berto
10. Luis Collazo
Akalabah
I'm really curious to see what Cintron has to offer now after a brilliant performance and having Manny in his corner. Margarito humbled him, and Emmanuel has him hitting hard. I'd like to see that rematch. Paul Williams is a tough match up for any of these guys, but I see Cotto possibly beating him. He commits to the body and he can do what Margarito couldn't. Styles make fights as we all have herd, and Williams style would beat Floyd in an UD. Williams is the only one in this group that I would bet money on against Floyd, however I would rather see Mosley knock Floyd on his butt. Mosley has power and can possibly match speed, and he is a much better boxer than Judah and can bring it 12 rounds. That would be a close good fight, that could go either way. Mayweather vs Ndou and Mayweather vs Clottey are two of his best fights. He showed in those fights he has a chin, and he is brilliant at brawling. I would like to see him and Mosley slug it out, however I doubt we will see Floyd fight that way again. I am really looking forward the Mosley vs Cotto fight. I think it can go either way and I am a fan of both fighters, but I want Mosley to win. Floyd will out box Hatton in a boring fight. Hatton throws two and holds, Floyd pot shots and runs. I don't think Hatton has a chance. I know this will be boring, but I will pay to see the brilliant Pretty Boy in hopes for a brilliant performance.
Akalabah
[quote name='Akalabah' date='Oct 3 2007, 12:48 AM' post='359609']
Mayweather vs Ndou and Mayweather vs Clottey are two of his best fights.

I meant Dimarcus Corley, not Clottey....
BigG
BTW welcome to the board Akalabah...
Blayde
I dont know if Williams can really look good against a fast handed power puncher like Berto, Judah or maybe also Cintron or Mosley who have everything thats needed to land bombs on Williams' chin. I also wouldnt be sure if Williams could beat Clottey who is really hart to hit to the head with his tight defense.

Mayweather doesnt stand any chance against Williams and Cotto would also be the huge underdog in my eyes. Problem is that Williams will have a hard time getting a shot against these big names and possibly lose to another smaller name.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Blayde @ Oct 3 2007, 05:59 AM) [snapback]359620[/snapback]
I dont know if Williams can really look good against a fast handed power puncher like Berto, Judah or maybe also Cintron or Mosley who have everything thats needed to land bombs on Williams' chin. I also wouldnt be sure if Williams could beat Clottey who is really hart to hit to the head with his tight defense.

Mayweather doesnt stand any chance against Williams and Cotto would also be the huge underdog in my eyes. Problem is that Williams will have a hard time getting a shot against these big names and possibly lose to another smaller name.

Paul Williams will be hitting these guys from across the ring. How can Berto, who is easy to hit, account for that. Judah had trouble with Spinks size, Williams is even bigger. Williams KOs Judah. Clottey has the best shot at making an entertaining fight. The fight would go very much like Williams/Margarito. Clottey doesnt hit as hard as margarito though. Cotto is another one who wont be able to close the distance because of his short arms. Williams would be hitting Cotto as soon as he gets off his stool. I think Williams is gonna be tough to beat at WW.
BigG
Cotto KO's Williams IMO....
Southeastpaw
Forget about D.hopkins, I love Bernard, but his nephew aint no threat to these guys.He couldn't even beat little Forbes even though he got the dec.

Yes. But officially, he is pretty much a contender with his record. I'd just like to see Williams go ahead and take him out. Out of all the great match-ups, and top guys, BHop is the easiest, IMO. So why not let Paul take care of it since he just fought and beat the guy no one wanted to fight? But it looks like Williams will be fighting Margarito again from what has stated above.
salvador
QUOTE(JD @ Oct 2 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]359589[/snapback]
Williams will rematch Margarito early next year.

Is this true or just speculation?

I think Margarito would be crazy to fight Williams if Cintron is available, and I keep reading that that fight (Marg-Cintron 2) is a real possibility.
BrutalBodyShots
Considering all of their styles, I think Cotto would stand the best chance of beating Williams out of the current Welters.

Milk Dud
QUOTE(salvador @ Oct 3 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]359633[/snapback]

I think Margarito would be crazy to fight Williams if Cintron is available, and I keep reading that that fight (Marg-Cintron 2) is a real possibility.

Arum and Goossen have been in talks to get this fight made for the end of January.
JD
QUOTE(salvador @ Oct 3 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]359633[/snapback]

From what I understand, Goosen wants it to happen, as does Williams - and that is all that was needed. Margarito will stay busy with a fight against Golden Johnson on the Cotto - Mosley undercard, and than early next year the plan is for Williams - Margarito II.
salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 3 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]359636[/snapback]
Considering all of their styles, I think Cotto would stand the best chance of beating Williams out of the current Welters.

The thing is, Cotto's only 5'7".

Stylewise I agree with you, but the height and reach advantage for Williams are just too much. I still think Margarito has the best chance against Williams (way less than 50%). He has most of what Cotto has technically, but he has longer arms, throws more punches, and has a better chin.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Oct 2 2007, 11:02 PM) [snapback]359592[/snapback]

It is funny how people see things differently. To be honest, he just did not look that good against Margarito IMO. He looked very sloppy and wasted so many punches, and he did not look like he had much pop to his punches. Antonio fought a stupid fight also. Mayweather gives him a boxing lesson, Mosley would eventually get him outta there, Berto looked pretty darn good the other night and I would slightly favor him over Williams, Cotto would stay on the inside and work his thin body all night, and Cintron would get outboxed for a while but I think with his power he would KO him at some point. Obviously this is just my opinion, maybe in his next fight Williams will impress me. I am definately not hating on the guy either.
Fitz
QUOTE(salvador @ Oct 4 2007, 09:58 AM) [snapback]359680[/snapback]
He has most of what Cotto has technically, but he has longer arms, throws more punches, and has a better chin.

Come on man. That is an insult to Cotto. Cotto is miles ahead of Margarito.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(salvador @ Oct 3 2007, 07:58 PM) [snapback]359680[/snapback]
The thing is, Cotto's only 5'7".

Stylewise I agree with you, but the height and reach advantage for Williams are just too much. I still think Margarito has the best chance against Williams (way less than 50%). He has most of what Cotto has technically, but he has longer arms, throws more punches, and has a better chin.

Williams' height "advantage" isn't always significant as he doesn't always fight tall. He has no problem fighting and inside fight, and against Cotto I think he'd get raked with left hooks to the body that COULD eventually be his downfall. Cotto does a lot of things better than Margarito does, so despite being shorter I think he would fare better against Williams.

Fitz
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 4 2007, 11:17 AM) [snapback]359687[/snapback]
Cotto does a lot of things better than Margarito does, so despite being shorter I think he would fare better against Williams.

Exactly. He punches better, is quicker, a better natural boxer, better defense, He is better than Margarito in almost every way, except maybe chin and Margarito might punch more. But his punches are easier to read.
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 3 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]359684[/snapback]
Come on man. That is an insult to Cotto. Cotto is miles ahead of Margarito.

I'd pick Margarito over Cotto in a really tough match, probably ending in a late ko for Tony. But aside from that, did you see Williams-Mitchell? Mitchell, like Cotto, is 5'7". The size differential between Mitchell and Williams was absurd. It was literally target practice for Williams.

Watching the Margarito-Williams match, the thing I was most impressed with was Williams' ability to take Margarito's shots to the body. For someone with such a thin frame, he was taking some really serious body shots. I just don't think that Cotto hits any harder than Margarito. And if Margarito isn't going to ko Williams, then I don't believe Cotto will either. WHich means that Cotto would have to win on points against a guy with a 15" reach advantage who throws 100+ punches a round. I just can't see that happening.

One thought though, if, as JD says, Margarito-Williams 2 really is happening in January, that might mean that Arum is using a Cotto paycheck as bait for Williams to entice him to fight Margarito again. And maybe, just maybe, Williams will get a shot at Cotto if he beats Margarito again. Let's pray!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.