Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Peter vs. McCline: Round by Round Results/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
This thread is for on going round by round results and post fight reactions to the Peter-McCline fight, which begins at 9:00 PM (CST) on Showtime.

Spoilers may be indicated below.

Jack
_iodine_
are they airing the williamson/meehan fight on this card? if they aren't, they fuckin should be!!!!
_iodine_
I'm pretty sure Jim Grey's forehead is bigger than his face. He is also still an idiot.
lilpoppapump
McCline is about to be the new champ lol!!!
KookedKrack
MCcline drops peter 3 times so far and were in round 4 holy fuck good scrap
gods son
Peter went down 3 times in round 2...

he's about finnished!!

round 4 now.
gods son
Peter went down 3 times in round 2...

he's about finnished!!

round 4 now.
gods son
Jameel reminds me of Bob Sapp.

gods son
Round 7...last two rounds..Peter caught his second wind..
Peter dominating with jab..

nice azz scrap!!!
gods son
Round 8..Mcline catches peter with like two good shots (uppercuts)..
Close round..Peter remains the pressure fighter..
Both seem tired!
The CEO
Ok. Was unable to load the page for a while, and I see THIS??

What the fuck's goin' on here?

McCline pounded Peter in the 2nd, and he's coming back??
gods son
sorry guys...im watching both cards...and doing some (other stuff)

well round 12 just completed..Close last 3 rounds..i think Jameel wins this..

decison about to be announced!!
gods son
and the winner is...

113-112
115-111
115-110

UD

SAMUEL PETER WINS...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CROWD IS BOOING HARD AND ARE ANGRY!!!!

I GUESS PETER DID ENOUGH TO GET BACK...ESP THE 2ND HALF..!!

falvoa
QUOTE(gods son @ Oct 6 2007, 11:14 PM) [snapback]360117[/snapback]

GET THE MUTHERFUCK OUTTA HERE. . .

DAM bro. . . I love this sport! Ya just don't know what going to happen

aggressive.gif
gods son
jAMEEL IS SO PISSED...gRAY IS TRYING TO INTERVIEW HIM...LOL

gray interviewing peter is classic..too funny..!!!

gods son
Gray asked Dking if he was shocked with the scores..DK replied " i aint no judge.." lol

Chi-Town
QUOTE(gods son @ Oct 6 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]360117[/snapback]

Both guys looked pretty damn good relatively speaking of course. Peter again showed much improvement just as he did against Toney, sharp dominant jab, excellent body work and major, major heart. Especially seeing as how Peter is still a work in progress, this is a good "statement" win in that he was badly hurt and came from behind to win....AND...has shown a propensity to learn from difficult fights so this will only make him better.
The CEO
113-112, 115-111, 115-110....all for Peter?..........did McGrimace gas out or get jobbed?...or both?

TheAmblingAlp
Sam Peter is, was, and will always be a bum.
Lil-lightsout
Good scrap. McCline had Peter down with counter right uppercut in second round, and had him down twice in the third round. How Peter made it out of that round is beyond me. Jameel was pretty inactive the rest of the fight, he was just too damn tired after he shot his load in the third round. Peter won mainly because he was more aggresive the rest of the fight. Peter did not hurt McCline the whole fight which shocked me, it's a shame Jameel was not in a little better condition. I think more heavyweights might be a little more interested in fighting Sam now.
neophyte7
Forgive this comment - but Sam PETER HAS THE BOXIng of IQ of learning disabled or dysthimic individual. He looked horrible. He is one of the dumbest fighters. I like how when he kept talking about "God" and "What God would do" how the commentator fired back'. " God is not fighting, what are you going to do" Great. God could care less. Peter fights like a blind faith having lost sheep. He stinks
BrutalBodyShots
What happened to Peter's great chin? McCline is one of the worst punchers P4P in the division but he had Peter down that many times? I've got to see this fight... I can't think that many would be too high on Peter after this fight (Nay Sayer where are you)?

BigG
People said Peter chin because Wlad hit him with everything and couldnt drop him. But apparently BIG TIME McCline almost destroyed his hopes of being world champion laugh.gif
Jack 1000
I didn't do a close round by round because I was so fucking shocked at Peter getting dropped 3 times total in rounds 2-3. I was looking for a Buster Douglas-Mike Tyson shocker. But I agree with the UD for Peter. Peter won most of the rounds with the exception of rounds 2-3. McCline reverted to the typical sparring partner syndrome that I sort of talk about in previewing the fight. Yes, McCline looked WAY better than given credit going into the fight. But now the questions are:

1.) Do you compliment McCline for the best, "close but no cigar effort" he had in his career?

2.) Do you bash McCline for stupidly not being able to finish Peter off with the two knockdowns he scored in the 3rd round?

3.) Do you blame Peter for overconfidence and all of the legal and political shit to explain why he looked shitty?

4.) Should criticism be leveled at both fighters for different reasons?

Jack

PS. On the homepage for the staff previews I said that Peter was like Razor Ruddock with a better chin. Well, tonight he fought worse than Razor Ruddock with a new found bad chin. The problem was McCline's "sparring partner syndrome" said, "I don't want to capitalize on this great opportunity."

TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Oct 6 2007, 10:22 PM) [snapback]360240[/snapback]
PS. On the homepage for the staff previews I said that Peter was like Razor Ruddock with a better chin.

Razor Ruddock at least had a bit of talent.

Peter is simply a hack who has come along at the right time to be noticed.
buford54
I had a feeling this might happen.
Peter has been hyped for 2 reasons.
1. Klitschko, while decisively beating Peter, couldn't knock him down/out...and he had Klitschko down 3 times (so did a mild breeze at one of Wlad's picnics the week prior).

2. He improved over his 2 fights w/ James Toney (who, by the way, has been attributing his recent weight loss to his inability to crack eggs at HW).

I just had a feeling that McCline would train his arse off and because of the height/reach would give Peter problems. McCline also has a heart attack by merely stepping into the ring...so I can't imagine why people are surprised that he was tired after almost knocking Peter out.
BrutalBodyShots
Does anyone believe Peter's bullshit when he says he went INTO the fight with a broken hand?
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 7 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]360227[/snapback]
What happened to Peter's great chin? McCline is one of the worst punchers P4P in the division but he had Peter down that many times? I've got to see this fight... I can't think that many would be too high on Peter after this fight (Nay Sayer where are you)?

McCline's counter right uppercut after Peter missed with a sloppy right was nice and had some power to it. That shot came right at the end of the second round so he could not finish him off. Jameel hurt him "Big Time" with a beautiful right uppercut in the beginning of the third round and after that hit him with everything for the rest of the round and knocking him down twice in the process. Jameel really sat down on his punches that round, and I guess for a 266lb. guy, those shots had some power behind them. As for Sam's chin, maybe it is not as great as we all thought it was. Peter did not look good in this fight, but considering that he even had the heart and desire to get out of the third round, shows some positives for Sam.
_iodine_
I'm not gonna criticize either one of these guys. Let's see YOU get knocked down by a 266lb man three times and get up to win a decision! Everybody was saying if McCline shows up to fight without diapers on he'd have a good chance at the upset, well he did show up to fight and he almost pulled the upset. He put his Balls out there tonight and I am very proud of him. Regardless of what the future holds for either guy, they both fought well and gave us an entertaining championship fight.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(_iodine_ @ Oct 7 2007, 11:32 AM) [snapback]360333[/snapback]
I'm not gonna criticize either one of these guys. Let's see YOU get knocked down by a 266lb man three times and get up to win a decision! Everybody was saying if McCline shows up to fight without diapers on he'd have a good chance at the upset, well he did show up to fight and he almost pulled the upset. He put his Balls out there tonight and I am very proud of him. Regardless of what the future holds for either guy, they both fought well and gave us an entertaining championship fight.

I have to respectfully disagree,

But as I said in an earlier post this is where you are going to find 50% who praise McClline for "The Best" losing effort that he had in his career. Than the other 50% can bash him for not getting Peter out of there.

McCline did much better than expected and people should say "Yea, he fought and showed great power by shocking the world dropping Peter once in the second and twice in the third." Who wouldn't love that?

But from the 4th onward McCline became an idiot, or at the very least reverted to typical sparring partner syndrome like, "Oh shit! Those knock downs weren't supposed to happen, and I'm not supposed to be KO'ing a Don King fighter like this as a 10-1 longshot. So let me continue my sparring session and get a moral victory by going the distance with Peter."

Neither guy did crap except for McCline's shocking knockdowns in the second and third round. A point or two for in favor of either fighter was fine. Some may have it more than that for Peter because BOTH guys fought like sparring partners with the exception of McCline in rounds two and three. He let an opportunity slip away by not being more aggressive following the knockdowns. Look at what McCline did and than what he didn't do to follow up? Look how out of shape and shitty Peter looked. I wasn't impressed after the 4th. We got the same journeymen fighter in McCline who lacks killer instinct, clutches and holds, and decided that it is better to get a moral victory than win. He could have shocked the world last night, and CHOSE not to. He should change his name from "Big Time" to "Spar Time" because that's really all McCline is good for. There wasn't anything impressive about the fight except for McCline's knockdowns. Than he just pissed it all away.

Jack
X3_Bazooka_X3
This fight here shows that Holyfield has a shot at all of the champions with the exception of Wlad Klitschko, McCline IMO should have gotten a draw he deserved it, I doubt Peter came into this fight with a broken hand, he might have broke it in the fight but he sure didnt come in with it.
Peter has improved though and tonight he showed what Pavlik showed last week, its always good to see a up comming champion show what he is made of, But he can be hurt by a guy who isnt really known to be a big banger how much further can Peter go? I think that if he fights either Maskeav or V Klitschko he will hit the deck again weather or not he gets up is another story.
IMHO great fight though
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Oct 7 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]360341[/snapback]
I have to respectfully disagree,

But as I said in an earlier post this is where you are going to find 50% who praise McClline for "The Best" losing effort that he had in his career. Than the other 50% can bash him for not getting Peter out of there.

McCline did much better than expected and people should say "Yea, he fought and showed great power by shocking the world dropping Peter once in the second and twice in the third." Who wouldn't love that?

But from the 4th onward McCline became an idiot, or at the very least reverted to typical sparring partner syndrome like, "Oh shit! Those knock downs weren't supposed to happen, and I'm not supposed to be KO'ing a Don King fighter like this as a 10-1 longshot. So let me continue my sparring session and get a moral victory by going the distance with Peter."

Neither guy did crap except for McCline's shocking knockdowns in the second and third round. A point or two for in favor of either fighter was fine. Some may have it more than that for Peter because BOTH guys fought like sparring partners with the exception of McCline in rounds two and three. He let an opportunity slip away by not being more aggressive following the knockdowns. Look at what McCline did and than what he didn't do to follow up? Look how out of shape and shitty Peter looked. I wasn't impressed after the 4th. We got the same journeymen fighter in McCline who lacks killer instinct, clutches and holds, and decided that it is better to get a moral victory than win. He could have shocked the world last night, and CHOSE not to. He should change his name from "Big Time" to "Spar Time" because that's really all McCline is good for. There wasn't anything impressive about the fight except for McCline's knockdowns. Than he just pissed it all away.

Jack

Good points Jack, but do you think Jameel was totally out of gas after that third round? Maybe that is why he barely threw anything meaningful the rest of the fight. I agree with you that the rest of the way Jameel just cruised for the moral victory. As for Peter, maybe he was just not himself due to the fact he had his bell rung like never before and he never truly recoverd from those knockdowns. I bet McCline is kicking himself today wishing he would have finished off Peter.
BGv2.0
I had a feeling something like this was going to happen. I did not think it would involve Peter being damn near KO'd and 3 KDs! lol

I have always disliked McCline, but last night he really showed up to fight, he put punches together very well and landed some nice combos...and that was the difference early on.

Wlad would not put Peter down because he was not lighting him up with 3-4 punch combos.....and for once McCline actually USED the 2 punches he throws very well....the left hook and the uppercut. not just here and there.....early on, he was using them often and he was setting down on his punches....something else he tended to NOT do in prior fights.

McClines biggest problem is his stamina....he pretty much blew his wad in the 3rd...and never fully recovered stamina wise to do it again.

BUT....he deserves all the credit in the world for that performance...and let's not forget he was winning against Valuev as well. IMHO his stock went up last night, I think he may find himself in the position Golota and Fres was in a few years back....giving one champ such a good fight that other champs are going to look to him as a legit defense.

To come back from a massive knee injury and give Sam Peter all he could handle...he deserves loads of respect. I had him on my fantasy team and cut him after he lost to Valuev....with the knee...I thought he was done.....he damn near made me a HUGE loser on that last night! lol

As for Peter....I cannot really question his chin or anything like that....he got mowed down by some damn solid combos from a guy over 260lbs.....and got up to earn the UD AFTER a career long layoff....that took skill and heart...

And he is no doubt getting better....absent were the wild swing for the fences shots he once threw all the time.....he used a great jab on a much taller opponent. Hell his very first punch of the fight was a solid jab to the body! That speaks volumes.

The HWs did EXACTLY what they were supposed to do last night....IMHO Showtime really fouled up not showing either all 3 or at least 2 of the bouts....

All were KO's, the Golota and Peter fights featured 2 guys coming off the canvas to beat the odds....a determined Meehan getting a stoppage...

This is what the HW division is all about....it's a shame it happens so rarely in today's divsion.

No BORING UD's here!

AussieLad
Havent seen the fight yet

How does this change peoples perception of the fight with Maskaev. McCline isnt noted as a big puncher, and old maskaev can punch pretty hard... does he now have a shot vs Peter? Maskaev showed vs rahman that he has the heart to dig in against a heavy favourite and big puncher

I'd still be picking Peter to win, because Maskaev doesnt have the height to take advantage of Peter's inability to box. Sooner or later Sam will still land that big career ending punch on the old fella

WolfishPromistah
What I saw from Samuel last night told me that his jab defense is better (he blocks the jab better than he used to), but he still has to work on his head movement on the defensive side (his bobbing and weaving). If he can maximize his head swingin', with the use of his hands on defense, he'll be more hell to deal with, even more than now. Like I still would love to see him tighten up on his upper body movement so that he's more able to make the opponent pay when they miss a shot, since I notice that he did so against McCline on the double-jab & right counters on occasion. But Sam really could have closed the show, I think, with less of the opportunities he threw away by not moving a bit more to place himself in better position.
AussieLad
I wouldnt mind seeing Jameel mcCline in with shannon briggs, and see if he can take out the atomic asthmatic. Battle of the chokers

Hopefully we will see Peter vs Sultan Ibragimov in the future as well. Ibragimov will simply outwork and outbox peter
BigG
Maskaev was wiped out vs. GOOFI Whitaker, Kirk Johnson, and Corey Sanders.....He gets crushed by Peter.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 7 2007, 08:07 PM) [snapback]360389[/snapback]
Maskaev was wiped out vs. GOOFI Whitaker, Kirk Johnson, and Corey Sanders.....He gets crushed by Peter.

I agree George,

Peter should win. But after last night he should not be concerned about "Crushing." He should be concerned about defense and improving his mobility inside the ring. Sam was leaving himself open and on those knockdowns we saw how McCline cracked him coming in. The enigma is that McCline is not known as a devastating puncher against a guy who at least used to have a good chin! Right now, I would just be conservative in saying that Peter beats McCline by UD. I'll tell you, if an average journeymen, sparring-partner syndrome heavyweight can hurt Peter like McCline did, anything is possible.

I also think that Peter was overconfident. He certainly wasn't expecting this! But than again, who was? I mean it was ONLY McCline!

Jack
Jack 1000
I watched the fight again with a round by round score. Had it 8-4 for Peter, but on points, for Peter 113-112. McCline just did not do enough to protect his early lead with the knockdowns:

My Scorecard:

1. 10-9 P
2. 8-10 M
3. 7-10 M
4. 10-9 P
5. 10-9 M
6. 10-9 P
7. 10-9 P
8. 9-10 M
9. 10-9 P
10. 10-9 P
11. 10-9 P
12. 10-9 P

113-112 Peter

Notice the official cards: all for Peter at 113-112, 115-111, and 115-110. It is possible that some of the judges did not score round 3 as a 10-7 round. I think this is wrong and that each definitive knockdown should count as a point off. (Unless the guy that gets knocked down is totally dominating the round and goes down on a lucky punch.) But that should be the exception, not the rule.

Jack
BigG
I also think that Peter was overconfident. He certainly wasn't expecting this! But than again, who was? I mean it was ONLY McCline!

Yeah he wasn't....McCline is actually a pretty decent fighter. He has some talent....I just dont know whats up with him sometimes. He was beating Valuev before the injury. He actually is better then Maskaev and would KO him if they fought.

I don't think Peter is great...he is improving I guess. I just think Maskaev is made for him.

This is a good victory for Peter....he was up against a bigger guy with speed and power and he pulled through. Showed heart. The 2nd knockdown was brutal.
singletrack
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Oct 7 2007, 01:48 AM) [snapback]360243[/snapback]
Razor Ruddock at least had a bit of talent.

Peter is simply a hack who has come along at the right time to be noticed.

Oh God, not you again. Just like Pavlik is a hack right? hahahahahaha
singletrack
Peter looked pretty good in this fight save getting caught with some HUGE shots from McCline. I thought Peter would KO him inside of 5 rounds, but Jameel showed up to fight. I can't believe Peter recovered from that 2nd round and/or the fight wasn't stopped. Other than that, and a few other isntances, Peter dominated the fight with his superior boxing skills (mainly his jab). He continues to improve but still, and obviously, has some major flaws that he needs to correct.

I expected him to fade as the fight went on because he didn't look to be in particularly great shape, but that was not the case. On the other hand, he has never really looked "great" physically before a fight.

Jameel still seems totally crazy to me. Every time he went back to his corner, it seemed like they were waiting for the impending meltdown. What was up with them asking him about HGH and steroids before the fight? I think there is a time and place for that...showtime fucking sucks compared to HBO.

TheAmblingAlp
QUOTE(singletrack @ Oct 8 2007, 01:18 PM) [snapback]360449[/snapback]
Oh God, not you again. Just like Pavlik is a hack right? hahahahahaha

Peter is about as unskilled as you are pal. And your bedbuddy Pavilk is still a hack who won't last long as champ.
singletrack
QUOTE(TheAmblingAlp @ Oct 8 2007, 06:32 PM) [snapback]360463[/snapback]
Peter is about as unskilled as you are pal. And your bedbuddy Pavilk is still a hack who won't last long as champ.

I have lots of skills...nunchuck skills, bow-staff skills, exposing arrogant jerk skills...you name it.

Chi-Town
QUOTE(singletrack @ Oct 8 2007, 10:47 PM) [snapback]360486[/snapback]
I have lots of skills...nunchuck skills, bow-staff skills, exposing arrogant jerk skills...you name it.

HAHAHAHAAH....I love Napoleon Dynamite.

As far as the fight goes I think that people are being waaay too hard on Peter. The guy only had like 30 amateur fights so he's young and inexperienced. The way you guys are sounding is like you expect him to be a finished product right now and thats not realistic. Heavyweights generally peak at a later age than other weight classes, so right now all I am looking for out of him is improvement and if you asked me his improvement over the last two years has been dramatic. He has been coming into fights in much better condition, he's developing a very effective jab and he put in a LOT of body work against McCline and most importantly we know he's not a quitter. These are all good signs in my opinion. So although he still has a ways to go, he is fighting much sharper than he used to and I think he's headed in the right direction. In the end, I think that the adversity he faced, and ultimately overcame in this fight will pay big dividends.
BrutalBodyShots
Just watch a little bit of this fight on replay a little bit ago. After the 3rd round I turned it off. McCline all but had Peter out of there. I can think of a few refs that would have stopped the fight as Peter couldn't defend himself and was all over the place.

Shame on the Showtime commentators calling McCline "Whitaker" (referring to GOOFI) a half dozen times in 3 rounds... pathetic and disrespectful. Also the first shot that put Peter down was an uppercut upstairs, and they said "Down goes Peter from a body shot!" ... open your eyes fellas.

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 9 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]360598[/snapback]
Just watch a little bit of this fight on replay a little bit ago. After the 3rd round I turned it off. McCline all but had Peter out of there. I can think of a few refs that would have stopped the fight as Peter couldn't defend himself and was all over the place.

Shame on the Showtime commentators calling McCline "Whitaker" (referring to GOOFI) a half dozen times in 3 rounds... pathetic and disrespectful. Also the first shot that put Peter down was an uppercut upstairs, and they said "Down goes Peter from a body shot!" ... open your eyes fellas.

Yeah, I could not believe how many times Al Bernstein called McCline "Whitaker". And the last time he called him that, there was a pause in commentating and you knew they were correcting him. How the hell can you cover the sport as long as he has and not get a well known fighters name correct. Same thing as the uppercut, were they not watching what was going on?
Tha Docta
i dont care what anyone says, steve albert has the best hair plugs in the business. and when is one of these fighters gonna slap the shit out of jim grey during an interview? it cant happen soon enough for my liking.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 9 2007, 10:53 PM) [snapback]360598[/snapback]

I honestly thought it should have been stopped, but I'm glad it wasn't.

Showtime sucks so bad it's unbelievable. I remember the "body shot" comment now that you mention it. I remember rewinding the fight to make sure it just wasn't that I was drunk.
singletrack
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Oct 10 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]360641[/snapback]
i dont care what anyone says, steve albert has the best hair plugs in the business.

Let's not forget about his offensively white teeth.

and when is one of these fighters gonna slap the shit out of jim grey during an interview? it cant happen soon enough for my liking.

That would be terrific. McCline should have just walked away when he interviewed him before the fight - what a jerk-off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.