Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could someone please tell me....
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
_iodine_
....what the boxing result acronym "RTD" stands for? I was on boxrec trying to find info on the Williamson/Meehan fight and it showed that Meehan won by RTD in the 5th or 6th. Upset victory. I know most of you could give two shits about this fight but I am a Williamson fan and I am just wondering how exactly he lost.

Jack 1000
QUOTE(_iodine_ @ Oct 7 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]360411[/snapback]
....what the boxing result acronym "RTD" stands for? I was on boxrec trying to find info on the Williamson/Meehan fight and it showed that Meehan won by RTD in the 5th or 6th. Upset victory. I know most of you could give two shits about this fight but I am a Williamson fan and I am just wondering how exactly he lost.

I am pretty sure that RTD means retirement. The fighter doesn't come out of his corner to start the round. Some jurisdictions would classify this as a TKO either at the end of the previous round or the round coming up. (It depends on the rules of the commission.) It would be announced similar to this:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Blue corner has indicated that its fighter can no loger continue, therefore the winner by TKO in the Red Corner is [Fighter's name announced}

Jack
punchmaster
QUOTE(_iodine_ @ Oct 7 2007, 11:41 PM) [snapback]360411[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure it's Referee's Technical Decision. I'm sure you know by now or maybe have even seen a clip, but unfortunately, Williamson got caught with a big overhand right off the top/side of the head in the last 2 seconds of the 6th round. His iniitial reaction was one of being devastated by the shot, and he looked done, but the warrior in him had him on wobbly on his feet before the ten count and back to his corner. The doctor advised the referee to stop it so it was a Technical Decision.
Byrd Man
from the boxingrec website:

RTD is a boxing term which designates that a boxer or his corner did not allow him to come out for the next round, thus "retiring" in their corner. RTDs are also recorded by others as TKOs, and are recorded in a boxer's knockout totals.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.