Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ibragimov vs. Holyfield: WBO Heavyweight Title
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Hello Fight Hypers,

I think that there is enough interest in this fight for an official preview thread and poll. Who will win this fight and why? Can Holyfield win another title one more time, or is he too old to be competitive for the younger, although very average champion? How will the venue (in Moscow) influence the judging if at all? Look forward to your responses!

Jack

Administrator

PS. If anyone wants to confirm the start time for the USA PPV for our readers that would be great. I haven't been able to find out that information. Please put the time zone next to the start time. Thank you
Jack 1000
I pick Sultun by close decision. He is a VERY ordinary champion and the perfect opponent for Holyfield. Holyfield may have enough left to be competitive, but he won't have enough to pull out the win. Considering the homecourt venue for Sulton and youth on his size he will probablly take a UD of 116-112 on two cards. (The name of Holyfield will make this fight closer than it is in reality on at least once card, which will have it 115-113 for Sultun

I don't think Sultun can hurt Holyfield. Even at this stage. Considering the crap that is the heavyweight division, as long as Holyfield stays away from a big puncher (like Klitschko or Peter) he can still be competitive, although not necessarily win.

Jack
NickBarker
Jack, you must be thinking of Sergei Liakhovich. It's Sultan Ibragimov, an understandable error given the seemingly interchangeable of many of the ex-Soviet region fighters.

As for the fight, I also picked Ibragimov by a close decision. I think he's a better fighter than many give him credit for. His performance against Ray Austin is souring, to be sure, but I think he could have had an off night. What I like about him is his handspeed, movement, and overall toughness. His attitude is a great one and I think he'll come out very determined. That being said, I don't think he has what it takes to knock out Holyfield. Moreover, it's tough to predict that he'll dominate him, but I could easily see this being 8-4 or even 9-3.
STEVENSKI
Has anyone seen the ad for the PPV. That's straight Rocky shit right there! Will it be like Rocky 4 & Creed is played by Vander?

I know Fitz would have seen it.

"Hawlyfeeeld I comink for yeww" laugh.gif
Rabbit Punch2
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 10 2007, 03:22 PM) [snapback]360711[/snapback]
Has anyone seen the ad for the PPV. That's straight Rocky shit right there! Will it be like Rocky 4 & Creed is played by Vander?

I know Fitz would have seen it.

"Hawlyfeeeld I comink for yeww" laugh.gif

The ad says Sultan will crush Evander and leave him to die? I want to change my pick then.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Oct 10 2007, 04:03 PM) [snapback]360697[/snapback]
Jack, you must be thinking of Sergei Liakhovich. It's Sultan Ibragimov, an understandable error given the seemingly interchangeable of many of the ex-Soviet region fighters.

As for the fight, I also picked Ibragimov by a close decision. I think he's a better fighter than many give him credit for. His performance against Ray Austin is souring, to be sure, but I think he could have had an off night. What I like about him is his handspeed, movement, and overall toughness. His attitude is a great one and I think he'll come out very determined. That being said, I don't think he has what it takes to knock out Holyfield. Moreover, it's tough to predict that he'll dominate him, but I could easily see this being 8-4 or even 9-3.

Your right! LOL!

When I went to boxrec for the info search it came up with both Sergi and Sulton! hahaha!

Anyway, I predict that this could be close to an even money fight. The reason is because everyone knows Holyfield and they may be putting down big money for him to win. Nobody knows Sulton. Shit, I got him mixed up with Sergi, and confidence is not exactly instilled by a fighter who has a last name that sounds like some Russian casserole dish! You can not overlook his troubles against Ray Austin. Boxing insiders may be viewing this fight more in terms of what Holyfield may not be able to do because of age, rather than what Sultan can only do up to average potential because he is an average fighter.

The question is has Holyfield fallen SO FAR off the totem pole that he can no longer be competitive against an average fighter? Box Rec is also reporting three American judges and I think one of the judges is from Texas, where Holyfield has been having some of his comeback fights. The crowd will be big for Sultan. This is harder to predict than meets the eye.

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
I think Holyfield will do better than expected.

When think about his losses, generally speaking they are against guys with really good jabs, movement and defense.

Donald was a bad stylistic matchup for Holyfield... movement, jabs, etc - too much for an old Evander.

Byrd/Toney both had great defense so it was near impossible for Holyfield to land anything clean. Their jabs/movement/defense were things that Holyfield couldn't overcome.

Those are really his only recent losses... no need to talk about Ruiz, Lewis etc.

Anyway I don't see Ibragimov as having a style that will pose all too much trouble to Holyfield. If Holyfield loses it will be in a different way than he has lost recently IMO, which obviously could happen considering his age and being a decade and a half past his prime. Either way I think the fight ends up being pretty close and either guy could get the decision.

T-MONEY
anyone got the times and which cable are picking up this fight?
Jack 1000
QUOTE(T-MONEY @ Oct 10 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]360737[/snapback]
anyone got the times and which cable are picking up this fight?

So far,

The information that I have is that it is going to be an Independent PPV. This means that a big network affiliate like HBO or Showtime PPV will not get it. Generally, these types of fights will appear on something like Fox Sports Net 1-2 weeks later, but not always. ESPN might pick it up. ESPN Classic got Holyfield's fight with Saverese after the PPV. Although it is hard to see what was classic about that fight.

The cost I think is $29.95 or $34.95. I am not sure. Kirilov-Navaro is the supporter for the IBF Jr. Bantamweight Title.

I don't know the time. Anyone feel free to check your cable/dish systems and let us know.

Jack
STEVENSKI
3.00am in Sydney.
AussieLad
Sultans too fast, and throws too many punches in combination.

He wont stop oldyfield with an accumulation of head shots, but an accumulation of body blows will slow evander down till he's a sitting duck, and i see his corner throwing in the towel... a drawn out beat down not that dissimilar to toney vs holy

Sultan by TKO

The only real questions over sultan are his size and his footwork. One bad showing vs austin, where he was clearly not in the best shape, doesnt mean holy has a chance here
NickBarker
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Oct 11 2007, 04:16 AM) [snapback]360774[/snapback]
Sultans too fast, and throws too many punches in combination.

He wont stop oldyfield with an accumulation of head shots, but an accumulation of body blows will slow evander down till he's a sitting duck, and i see his corner throwing in the towel... a drawn out beat down not that dissimilar to toney vs holy

Sultan by TKO

The only real questions over sultan are his size and his footwork. One bad showing vs austin, where he was clearly not in the best shape, doesnt mean holy has a chance here

I tend to agree. I think the handspeed difference will be apparent. Especially because he won't be afraid to stay in the pocket and trade combinations with Evander.
Jack 1000
FYI: START TIME AND CHANNEL INFORMATION:

PLEASE NOTE THE START TIME. THE FIGHT WILL BE FROM 12 NOON-3 PM (CST) ON YOUR IN-DEMAND PPV SPECIAL EVENTS CHANNEL. (According to my Time Warner Cable Digital Guide)

(I presume that this is to accommodate the live call from Moscow) The cost (at least here where I am) is $35.

Jack
Chi-Town
Very rarely do i "cheer" or "root" when I watch boxing...but I will certainly be pulling for Evander in this one hard core.
BrutalBodyShots
It's hard to not root for a guy like Holyfield, despite how old and past it he is.

gods son
i have a feeling Evander will put it off..points SD!!!
The Original MrFactor
I think that if ever there was a shot for Holy to go out on top, this is it. Sultan is a very ordinary guy, nothing special about him. At this stage in his loooooong career, this is what Holy needs. Sultan is very average at everything. I think Holy walks away with a close decision.
AussieLad
I think sultan is a little under rated at the moment. I mean he beat a much larger man in briggs, who had KO'd the white wolf, and everyone had been all over sergeis nuts after beating brewster. Granted briggs was a terrible champion, but he did derail a popular fighter to get the belt

Holyfield would have had an easier shot at the title if he had faced briggs when he held the belt, or even brewster in my opinion.

Sultan beats chagaev and he beats maskaev. He's the second best champion, behind wlad.

Unfortunately for sultan, even after he destroys evander, he will get no credit because he beat an old, old man. And nor should he get credit either because this fight should never even have been made
BigG
Sultan will beat Holyfield.

Klitschko-Peter II is the only fight I care about in the division.
gods son
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 12 2007, 02:15 AM) [snapback]360918[/snapback]
Sultan will beat Holyfield.

Klitschko-Peter II is the only fight I care about in the division.

i want TUA-PETER...!!!
Rabbit Punch2
The PPV show starts at 1:00 pm EDT 10:00 am PDT Saturday.
X3_Bazooka_X3
Holyfield weighed in at 211.5 when was the last time Holyfield was that far down in weight? I am thinking the first Bowe fight. Anyhow IMO Holyfield should look like his former self in spots in this fight, Sultan is nothing special, he is good but not special as Kellerman would argue.
he does stand there to get hit, however I am sure Mayweather will be bringing in some of the hit and dont get hit back game, Holyfield is a counter puncher and is 1-2 against southpaws I am sure Sultan will look to be the counter puncher in this fight.
However with Sultans style itself is not good enough IMO to beat Holyfield, he would have to be a jabber and mover like Donald and Lewis, or have quick hands like Byrd and Toney, However I cant really even count the Toney win as legit the man has tested positive twice for steriods and who knows weather or not he was on them during that fight, I would say there is a big chance Toney was juiced up for that fight, but quick hands is the key, but Sultan must use that southpaw jab and hook to be effective if he doesnt get that right jab going its going to be a hard nights work for him.
The question is and I think its a fair question can Holyfield win a decision in Russia? I guess we will see.
AussieLad
I think sultans punches are pretty quick, at least as quick as toney. He is also of equal size whereas toney was the smaller man, and he hits much harder.

When was the last time holyfield faced someone who throws as many combinations as ibragimov? Plus sultan doesnt neglect the body, which is the key to him beating evander.

Holy needs to exploit sultans poor footwork when he's circling, and trap him on the ropes. He does look in very good shape.
X3_Bazooka_X3
I dont think Sultans button is near as good as Toneys, Sultan has been rocked by much lesser fighters, had he been in there with a guy who had better skills he may not be champion right now.
AussieLad
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Oct 12 2007, 11:52 PM) [snapback]361001[/snapback]
I dont think Sultans button is near as good as Toneys, Sultan has been rocked by much lesser fighters, had he been in there with a guy who had better skills he may not be champion right now.

Sure. Sultan doesnt have toney's skills, not many do. But he is no slouch, has a higher work rate. And this is an old old incredibly old guy he's fighting in holyfield.

Blowing away saverese is no preparatin for a prime sultan.

Not to make sultan sound like a destroyer, because he isnt. But he is much better than the current evander.

We shall soon see the proof, or i will be here eating my words
BrutalBodyShots
Ibragimov's body work should be enough to stem any tide that this current version of Holyfield may have... Toney's body work was able to stop Holyfield and Sultan is the best body puncher Holyfield has faced since then IMO.

Imperius3
Holyfield hasn't been in with a live body in some time. And he barely got by Oquendo.

Holyfield will dig deep, but I think Ibragimov's hand speed, workrate, and age will win this fight for him.

I'll be rooting for Holyfield to win. It would be great to see him accomplish his goal. I'm not sure we'll see it happen though.

Ibragimov by close decision.
X3_Bazooka_X3
IMO and I am being straight up here, the Oquendo win was much wider in favor of Holyfield than some of you argue, to me since the knock down in round one, Fres got on his bike and pretty much ran, he did not want to fight Holyfield. Sammy Stewart a trainer over at Wildcard told me weeks before the fight, that Fres was scared to death of Evander and the way he fought proved that to be true IMO.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Imperius3 @ Oct 13 2007, 02:01 AM) [snapback]361023[/snapback]
I'll be rooting for Holyfield to win. It would be great to see him accomplish his goal. I'm not sure we'll see it happen though.

His "goal" though is to be Undisputed Heavyweight Champion of the World, not WBO Heavyweight Champion... so winning this fight in Holyfield's eyes is just one step toward his goal; it would only put him 25% of the way there. While some may argue that he could beat 1 or 2 more beltholders, there's not a chance in hell he beats Klitschko so his goal will never be reached. Even if he were to win all of the right fights he would be 47 years old before he fought Wlad.
X3_Bazooka_X3
I agree Klitschko would be way too much for Holyfield, However if Peter finds a way to beat Klitschko which is highley doubtfull now, but if he does I can see Evander beating Peter for that Title there, McCline had that fight won, but didnt have the tools to get him out of there.
only one more hour to go and its on like Donkey Kong
JD
Ibragimov by decision.

What I want to happen, and what will happen are not one in the same here. I am a huge Holyfield fan, but sometimes you have to accept reality.
Jack 1000
The round by round thread is up! So users can now post in there. Enjoy the fight!

Jack

Administrator
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.