Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Juan Diaz vs. Julio Diaz: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
This thread is for on-going discussions and post fight reactions to the Juan Diaz vs. Julio Diaz World Lightweight Title Unification fight tonight on HBO. The card begins at 10PM (CST) First scheduled is the Pacquiao-Barrera II replay from last week. Following that will be the main event.

USERS MAY FIND SPOILERS BELOW.

Jack

Administrator
imperial
Fight night on Fight Hype thats whats up !!!!!
Hodge
Nice jacket, Laaaarrrry.
gods son
what a FIGHT...damn!"
mako65
Has the fight started yet?.
mako65
Hey godson can you give us a round by round?.
I know diaz is winning?. hehe
Southeastpaw
Easy work. Julio's corner stops the fight before the 9th round began.
Southeastpaw
Juan is a beast. Too much pressure. He was actually outjabbing Juio when Juan decided to use the jab for a brief time. Juan is THE force in the lightweight division. If Juan had pop, he'd be almost invincible. I'm not kidding. Kid is amazing in there. I don't know if Pac should venture up to LW. I believe that Juan would be too much for him even.
BigG
Juan is an animal. He's fuckin great to watch.
gods son
DIAZ VS KATSIDIS !!!!!
Southeastpaw
Juan calls out Manny. He said that Manny just fought and beat a legendary Mexican fighter, it's time for him to step up and fight a young Mexican warrior.
Southeastpaw
Katsidis needs to wait in line. Diaz is ready to fight the bigger guys right now. Although that would be a great fight. But I would love to see a Diaz/Pac fight. LOVE IT!!!! Diaz/Casamayor would be exciting as well. But Juan is incredible.
thefloatingmonkey
Man that kid never has a dull match. Awesome stuff. Would love to see a diaz vs pac.
mako65
As I said when the ill fated Katsidis/Diaz match was first announced, Diaz is way too good, if you like Katsidis keep him away from Diaz.
Pacman and Diaz would put on a great fight, can`t pick a winner there big speed to pacman and power too but Diaz is a big lightweight with skills and determination.
Southeastpaw
Julio put forth a valiant effort. I thought he kept it a bit competitive, but Juan's combinations were killin Julio. He was outlanding Julio by a pretty wide margin. It was a very entertaining fight all the way.
Hodge
Juan is awesome. The combination is a lost art as of late and it is refreshing to see someone actually throw more than one punch and not back up and inspect his work. Good fight.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 13 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]361175[/snapback]
Katsidis needs to wait in line. Diaz is ready to fight the bigger guys right now. Although that would be a great fight. But I would love to see a Diaz/Pac fight. LOVE IT!!!! Diaz/Casamayor would be exciting as well. But Juan is incredible.

I think Cassamyor would be worn down by the pressure of Juan like Julio was tonight. I say totally unite the belts against David Diaz. Than the winner gets Pacquiao. Juan Diaz-Pacquaio could be one of the fights of the decade! I like Katsidas as well, but he may still be a little too green for the really big fights.

Jack

PS. Juan Diaz throws more punches in one round than Floyd Mayweather in an entire career! I know, I know, Floyd is not a brawler, but the point is, guys that throw a lot of punches and are willing to go in there punch for punch sell seats. Slick boxers like Floyd can't do that unless they have either a brawler or a marquee name in the other corner.
Southeastpaw
Man, that's giving Pac alot of props. To give him a shot at the undisputed LW champion his first fight @ that weight. But it's cool. I'm all for it.

Who would pick Juan to win it?

I would.
BigG
I picked Pacman against Morales all three times, barrera in the rematch, and Marquez but I wouldn't pick Pac to beat Diaz
BigG
PS. Juan Diaz throws more punches in one round than Floyd Mayweather in an entire career! I know, I know, Floyd is not a brawler, but the point is, guys that throw a lot of punches and are willing to go in there punch for punch sell seats. Slick boxers like Floyd can't do that unless they have either a brawler or a marquee name in the other corner.

Two different styles. I enjoy watching both. I think what Floyd does in the ring is beautifull and if I could have the style and attributes of any fighter in history I would go with Floyd. Juan is just great to watch period. Both stars.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 14 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]361186[/snapback]
Two different styles. I enjoy watching both. I think what Floyd does in the ring is beautifull and if I could have the style and attributes of any fighter in history I would go with Floyd. Juan is just great to watch period. Both stars.

Agreed. Of course Juan's style will be more appealing to the casual eye. But to the one's who really respect the technical side of the science, Floyd is a master and very enjoyable to watch.

BTW, does anyone on here know what happened with the Mora/Ouma fight? I thought that they were supposed to meet. Am I wrong and am thinking of something else. I could have sworn they were supposed to fight. But Mora is fighting someone else coming up here soon.

Didn't want to waste an entire thread on this question. Just curious.
mako65
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 14 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]361182[/snapback]
Man, that's giving Pac alot of props. To give him a shot at the undisputed LW champion his first fight @ that weight. But it's cool. I'm all for it.

Who would pick Juan to win it?

I would.

I agree that is the difference, if Pacman takes him on first fight he will likely lose against a big lightweight with skills like Diaz, but if he has a few fights at lightweight and is comfortable and strong I think it will be a pick em fight.
FillyFighter
QUOTE(mako65 @ Oct 14 2007, 12:58 AM) [snapback]361189[/snapback]
I agree that is the difference, if Pacman takes him on first fight he will likely lose against a big lightweight with skills like Diaz, but if he has a few fights at lightweight and is comfortable and strong I think it will be a pick em fight.

I think Diaz' workrate would be the determining factor. Pacquiao can't fight going back, and isn't a particularly good counterpuncher.

Not to mention the fact that Manny would be going up in weight....again. I really don't see the fight as a competitive one.
BigG
Those 10 punch combos Juan Diaz would land cleanly on Julio....just amazing man. That was a straight beatdown.
AussieLad
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 14 2007, 04:53 AM) [snapback]361175[/snapback]

How long till the mandatory defence against katsidis falls due? He may be next in line.

I think diaz is too tough, and katsidis lack of defence will see him stopped. But it will be a ripper fight while it lasted. And katsidis power could put diaz away if he lands it flush on the chin, the boy can bang
AussieLad
http://www.sportsnut.com.au/entry.php?intid=23018

Typical, straight after posting i find this, which says diaz must defend against katsidis next or risk being stripped.

Too much too early for the young aussie brawler. But he cant be molly-coddled for ever
Jack 1000
In hindsight, I would like to see Manny have 2 quality fights at lightweight first.

Jack
kidbazooka1
I picked Juan to win but i honestly believed Julio was gonna give him a much harder fight yes he made it competitve but Juan is a freakin monster. I can't see anyone at 135lb and below beating him, his inside fighting and condition are superb.

It's funny how they showed a clip of Armsrtong vs Ross since Juan pretty much resembles Armstrong windmill style.

I don't think Pacqiauo's people want any part of Juan Diaz.
WolfishPromistah
Julio slowed Juan down later in the fight, from what I saw. So if someone can maintain a strong pace, not getting his eye all busted up, which I really think was playing the biggest problem in Julio's not being able to continue, it's possible to begin getting Juan to back up -- what he really doesn't like to do. But Julio, whether he knew it or not, made Juan begin to...though late. Now, had he the energy and vision to maintain ('cause he has the power -- Juan admitted, the guy can punch), he could have possibly KOd Juan Diaz last night.
lilpoppapump
Juan looked good last night. The fight I want to see is Juan and Nate Campbell. Both fighters come to fight.
Southeastpaw
He could have possibly of course. There are always possibilities, however I think it was quite unlikely. Even though Juan said the guy can punch, Juan was never hurt during that fight. Now if Juan was ever staggered or visibly buzzed throughout that fight, then yes, the possibility would have been stronger. I thought that Julio was holding his own in terms of pressure, but he was getting hit way to much. His eye was not that bad, I don't think that was the reasoning behind the stoppage. It was apparant to me that his corner was under the impression that the ref might jump in and stop the fight anyhow if it continued along the same course. Julio was the bigger guy in there and Juan was the the stronger guy. The pace they were fighting at was blistering. So you may be right wolf about someone that can hang with the pressure. But you are going to have to find someone that can hang with the pressure, speed, punch-output, and strength, and let's not forgetr chin of Juan, then they have a chance of beating him. Pac would get bullied around that ring. It is going to take a bigger.stronger guy to back Juan up. I didn't really think was slowing down, he had been taking small little breaks here and there ever since the 4th. But he was definitely the fresher fighter in there. I believe Juan is going to be around for a very long time. It was competitive last night, but Juan won every round.
gods son
I enjoyed every round, not a dull moment, no knock downs, or twists, but straight raw punch ups..
I think Jaun would be too much for pacman.
Jack 1000
What were your scores? I only gave Julio one round, the second.

Jack
Southeastpaw
I need to actually rewatch the fight. When I am watching a fight live, my biasness takes over. lol. For real. I mean, I can still judge a fight, but everything seems to curb towards my fighter. I remember there were maybe two close rounds, but I had thought that Juan's combinations and pressure won him every single round. But I will rewatch it and post again.
BigG
I thought it was a shutout up until the TKO win.
FenderDG3
I think Manny should fight Juan Manuel Marquez before moving up in weight. If he were to beat JMM then he would have nothing more to prove in the Super Featherweight division. Also while Manny is fighting JMM, Juan Diaz could fight David Diaz or Casamayor with the winners of each fight facing each other (I don't know if JMM would want to move up to LW if he were to beat Manny).

Anybody else agree with that possible scenario??

Southeastpaw
I don't think anyone would have a problem with that scenario. I would love to see a rematch between Pac and Marquez. But it is lookin like Pac is going to be facing Valero. And then it sounds as if Pac will move up in weight. As long as these guys are fighting people worthwhile, it is all good with me. If Pac stays at 130 after Valero, he needs to rematch Marquez. But it looks as if he needs to move up to find some competitors really. But Juan would be too much for him. But props to Manny if he does.
Elijah
Another great fight by Juan. No surprise there, they're always great. Not ONE clinch in that fight despite the fact they were fighting on the inside almost the entire time the bout lasted. That seems to be one of the last arts in boxing these days, boxers being able to fight well on the inside. Juan is one of the best at that. Kid deserves major props.

As for Pac/Juan, now way I see Pac beating him. He just couldn't take the pressure and wouldn't have anything to keep Juan off of him. I wouldn't mind seeing Juan/David Diaz or Juan/Katsidis or even Juan move up and challenge Malignaggi once he's done clearing out the lightweight division. I think his style he would give him a very good chance of beating Malignaggi.
BrutalBodyShots
If Juan would really train to use that jab more he would be VERY close to unstoppable. His activity level is great, but a lot of those shots go wasted because they aren't set up with the jab. Jab or no jab, Pacquiao should stay away from Diaz.

thefloatingmonkey
Juan needs to start lifted some weights and doing more strength training. If he could get his power up a bit, that would help him tremendously.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(thefloatingmonkey @ Oct 14 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]361306[/snapback]
Juan needs to start lifted some weights and doing more strength training. If he could get his power up a bit, that would help him tremendously.

LOL so you're one of those guys that thinks muscular guys hit harder than non-muscular guys? Lifting weights = greater punching power? haha

I guess you must be of the opinion that Trinidad in his prime was ripped eh?

The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(FenderDG3 @ Oct 14 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]361275[/snapback]
I think Manny should fight Juan Manuel Marquez before moving up in weight. If he were to beat JMM then he would have nothing more to prove in the Super Featherweight division. Also while Manny is fighting JMM, Juan Diaz could fight David Diaz or Casamayor with the winners of each fight facing each other (I don't know if JMM would want to move up to LW if he were to beat Manny).

Anybody else agree with that possible scenario??

I completely agree. good post.
AussieLad
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 15 2007, 12:42 AM) [snapback]361308[/snapback]
LOL so you're one of those guys that thinks muscular guys hit harder than non-muscular guys? Lifting weights = greater punching power? haha

I guess you must be of the opinion that Trinidad in his prime was ripped eh?

Brutal, whilst i agree that the majority of guys who do alot of heavy weights suffer when it comes to boxing, weights performed correctly can increase both power and speed.

You need to get away from lifting really heavy weights, which by necessity are performed slowly. Training the muscle to lift heavy slowly doesnt create punching power. But moderately heavy movements performed with explosive force and good technique can produce power and speed gains. But they should not be used excessively.

Olympic sprinters use weights to generate speed and power. the difference is they know what to do and when to do it.
basicjab

I like Juan Diaz but never thought Julio Diaz was all that good, so this win does not impress me as it does many others. I think Juan and Manny would be a good fight, probably very competitive.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(Elijah @ Oct 14 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]361293[/snapback]
As for Pac/Juan, now way I see Pac beating him. He just couldn't take the pressure and wouldn't have anything to keep Juan off of him.

Not sure I agree with this. Although I certainly could see it playing out like this, I think Manny's speed will cause some trouble for Juan and to say that he'd have nothing to keep Juan off him is pure speculation.

Manny has carried his power very well as he has moved up. Now I'm sure at some point that won't be the case, but until I see it I'm sure he'll still carry some serious pop at 135.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Oct 15 2007, 04:36 PM) [snapback]361352[/snapback]
Manny has carried his power very well as he has moved up. Now I'm sure at some point that won't be the case, but until I see it I'm sure he'll still carry some serious pop at 135.

Pacquiao's SPEED is his power; that is his ability to catch his opponents with fast shots that they do not have time to react to. In the sense of pure power from a shot I don't think Pacquiao has much better than average power. That said, as Pacquiao moves up in weight (to 135) to a class several above where he should be fighting the only thing that will happen is that he'll be slightly slower which only equates to less power.
Michigan Assassin
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 15 2007, 05:16 PM) [snapback]361361[/snapback]
Pacquiao's SPEED is his power; that is his ability to catch his opponents with fast shots that they do not have time to react to. In the sense of pure power from a shot I don't think Pacquiao has much better than average power. That said, as Pacquiao moves up in weight (to 135) to a class several above where he should be fighting the only thing that will happen is that he'll be slightly slower which only equates to less power.

That may be true, but until we see some signs of this we shouldn't immediatly say Manny will have nothing to help him deal with Juan. I'm very interested in this fight, but of course there are alot of great, fan-friendly fights that can be made around these weight classes.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Pacquiao would hold his own against Juan for a few rounds but after that I think Juan would just have too much for him... too much size, strength, volume punching etc. Pac can't fight going backwards, and if he stands his ground while he will surely get some licks in Diaz will ultimately get the best of him.

As far as punching power goes, I wouldn't say that Pacquiao at 135 would possess much more in the punching power department than Julio Diaz that Juan just faced. I'm talking raw punching power (if there were a means of measuring it). Pacquiao possesses more speed and explosiveness, so he would be more likely to catch Juan with a left hand that he didn't see coming as opposed to Julio that wasn't able to do this... but my point is that Pacquiao's punching power in and of itself, especially at 135 isn't going to get it done against Juan Diaz IMO.

Southeastpaw
This is how I see Juan in the LW division as it stands.

Pac would be like a slim metal cylinder put in that machine. Sure he will give some resistance, but sooner or later he will do what Juan's last two opponents did. Break under the pressure.
AussieLad
Well who is likely to be next for juan?

Katsidis is a mandatory for the WBO and an exciting all action fighter (though i favour diaz because of the way rocky got his face all cut up in his last fight), but not the most high profile money fight. Would diaz, a unified champion, risk being stripped to fight a bigger name?

Would the WBO be likely to grant an exemption for a casamayor or pacman fight?

Rocky, because he is more natural at the weight and is a heavy hitter, represents a bigger danger to diaz than pacman (I'm sure i am going to get shouted down for saying that black eye.gif ). Pacs a great fighter, but i think he is too small for juan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.