Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about weigh in weights
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
I've noticed that weigh in weights are always listed in one of three ways... to the nearest half pound (most common), the nearest quarter pound, or the nearest tenth of a pound.

I was curious what determines the level of accuracy used when doing weigh ins? Does it have to do with where the weigh in takes place? For example the Sturm/Griffin weigh in was done in Germany and was done in tenths (Sturm 159.6 and Griffin 159.3). Does it have to do with the sanctioning body?

Not that it makes all that much of a difference, but if you had a guy who's actual weight was 160.2 but he weighed in to the nearest half a pound he would be 160 at the limit where if it were the the quarter or tenth he would be over. Just wondering why there weigh in weights are not consistent to the same increment across the board.

Spyder
Were you smoking weed when you thought about this? drag.gif

laugh.gif
Maxy
QUOTE(Spyder @ Oct 19 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]361651[/snapback]

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
stateofthegame
It is according to where the weigh-in takes place, the type of scales used, and what is specified in the contract. Sometimes it will say within a certain limit say 1/2 or a pound. I know when I took a guy to fight Josh Cobb last year in Houston we were arguing about the weight with the Texas commission because one time the guy fought at heavy and was under 200 pounds and for the Cobb fight we were told if he did not weigh over 200 we would not be allowed to fight. As it turned out he weighed just over 200 and got stopped in the first round anyway so it did not matter.

He knocked Cobb down and almost out in the first and then the cigarettes caught up with him. Smoked 3 packs a day and never trained.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Oct 19 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]361654[/snapback]
It is according to where the weigh-in takes place, the type of scales used, and what is specified in the contract. Sometimes it will say within a certain limit say 1/2 or a pound. I know when I took a guy to fight Josh Cobb last year in Houston we were arguing about the weight with the Texas commission because one time the guy fought at heavy and was under 200 pounds and for the Cobb fight we were told if he did not weigh over 200 we would not be allowed to fight. As it turned out he weighed just over 200 and got stopped in the first round anyway so it did not matter.

He knocked Cobb down and almost out in the first and then the cigarettes caught up with him. Smoked 3 packs a day and never trained.

Why the hell would you let a fighter "who smoked 3 packs a day and never trained" fight in the first place?
stateofthegame
He wanted too and to be honest I worked with his brother and he needed a ride to Houston so I helped out. The guy is 0-6 now all loses by TKO, but he is a crowd favorite in Houston. Seriously the promoter always wants him on his shows for some reason.

By the way I do not help him anymore, after the Cobb fight it was obvious to me that training and taking this sport serious was not in the cards so I waked away. Before the Cobb fight all I heard about his losses were that as soon as he got hit the ref's stopped the fight, so I kind of had to see for myself type of thing.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Spyder @ Oct 19 2007, 06:33 PM) [snapback]361651[/snapback]

laugh.gif

???
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(stateofthegame @ Oct 20 2007, 01:35 AM) [snapback]361678[/snapback]
He wanted too and to be honest I worked with his brother and he needed a ride to Houston so I helped out. The guy is 0-6 now all loses by TKO, but he is a crowd favorite in Houston. Seriously the promoter always wants him on his shows for some reason.

By the way I do not help him anymore, after the Cobb fight it was obvious to me that training and taking this sport serious was not in the cards so I waked away. Before the Cobb fight all I heard about his losses were that as soon as he got hit the ref's stopped the fight, so I kind of had to see for myself type of thing.

OK, I was just curious.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.