Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chilling moments in Boxing. history.list them
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
gods son
i have to go with the Billy Collins Jnr incident, what a tragic case and monstrosity part of the Luis Resto camp!!

Just south of Nashville, Tennessee there’s a community called Antioch. It's there boxer Billy Collins, Jr. made his home.

He grew up poor. He only had one pair of blue jeans to wear to school.

He washed them by hand and hung them to dry overnight. He’d waken sometimes to find the jeans frozen on the line. His house had plastic coverings for storm windows.

He came from a proud, hardworking and respected family that had deep roots in boxing. What he lacked in money, he more than made up for in character and determination, and became an accomplished amateur boxer.

Skilled, strong, tough, and courageous, Billy was an awesome fighter. He was trained by his father, Billy Collins, Sr. The senior Collins had been a professional and took pride in his son’s work ethic and his instinct for fighting.

Early in his pro career, Billy was one of the first ESPN Boxing Champions. He won the ESPN Welterweight Championship, was up-and-coming, undefeated -- on the brink of greatness.

On June 16, 1983 at Madison Square Garden, Billy fought on the under card of the Roberto Duran -vs.- Davey Moore World Jr. Middleweight Championship. He was matched against was Luis Resto, a journeyman brawler.

The fight was televised nationally on ABC Wide World of Sports. Billy was world ranked, 14-0 with 11 knockouts. He was on the verge of a world title fight.

This was to be his “golden opportunity.” Resto, had twice as many fights as Billy, but Billy was the favorite to win.

Before the start of the bout, Panama Lewis, Resto’s trainer, was yelling across the ring to Billy and his corner, “You’re going down, Collins! You’re going down!”

During the fight, Billy complained to his corner that Resto was, “hitting me with a brick.” Billy’s father asked him if he wanted to stop the fight. “No,” he replied. “I’m going to knock him out!”

Billy was in a real-life fight for his life. He traded punch-for-punch with Resto over 10 grueling rounds. Although he was never knocked down, Billy got a brutal beating. His grit alone kept him from going down.

When the fight was over, a despondent Billy headed back to his corner. Resto approached Billy’s corner for the customary handshake with the opponent’s trainer. When Mr. Collins grabbed Resto’s glove, he felt nothing but knuckles. Resto winced in obvious pain.

The senior Collins couldn’t believe it. He immediately demanded that the New York State Boxing Commission impound the gloves and investigate.

Initially, Billy lost a 10-round unanimous decision, but it was later ruled a “no contest” when it was discovered that Resto’s gloves had been tampered with by his trainer, Lewis.

What came to light during the criminal investigation was that just before the fight, Lewis removed padding from the gloves and basically turned them from protective gear into lethal weapons.

As a result of this criminal intent, Lewis and Resto were convicted of assault, conspiracy, and criminal possession of a deadly weapon in October of 1986. Lewis was incarcerated for one year while Resto served almost two years of a three-year sentence. Both he and Lewis were banned from boxing for life.

Billy’s injuries from that fight left him with permanent eye damage and doctors informed him he would eventually go blind. Those injuries ended his once promising career.

On June 16, 1983 they stole Billy’s future and his life. Billy died -- under suspicious circumstances -- nine months after the Resto fight in a one-car accident.

I want to watch the full documentary film about this ..i found the trailer only

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bkwr_xoXTKg

Hodge
That is awful. On Versus, they showed some of the Mancini vs. Kim fight. I was 2 when it happened, but now I know Kim died, I don't want to watch stuff like that.
BrutalBodyShots
McClellan/Benn always comes to mind.

BigG
Leavander Johnson (RIP) vs. Jesus Chavez.....I felt really bad when I heard Johnson passed away.

I almost teared up actually because I remembered how much courage and heart he showed in defending the belt he had worked hard for. You gotta respect all boxers who step in there. Leavander was not the most skilled, but he was a good fighter with ALOT OF heart.
dj necrogenic
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 19 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]361625[/snapback]
Leavander Johnson (RIP) vs. Jesus Chavez.....I felt really bad when I heard Johnson passed away.

I remember screaming at my TV for the fight to be stopped, I still get the chills when I think about that fight
Lil-lightsout
I remember watching Gabe Rueles pound on Jimmy Garcia for I think it was 11 one-sided rounds. I remember during the fight the crew talked about all the weight Garcia had to lose to make the limit. Garcia's corner should have stopped the fight way sooner, he was a human punching bag. Then you find out later Jimmy eventually passes away from there fight, really makes you think how much fighters actually put there life on the line. Also, it did severe damage to Gabe too, he was never the same.

Brutal also mentioned McClellan-Benn, and to think Benn was practically knocked out in the first round, and somehow he managed to come back in that fight. What if that fight was stopped in the first round?
Tha Docta
i remember watching pedro alcazar against fernando montiel undercard fight. forget what the main fight was. the ref stopped the fight, and pedro seemed fine afterwords. but then he lapsed into a coma the next day while doing some site seeing. was a creepy feeling to watch a man give his life in the ring.
mexi-cutioner
Beny Paret vs Emile Griffith back in the early 60s was also an unfortunate tragedy. Beny Paret was up against the ropes badly hurt while Griffith pummelled him with punches. During that sequence, Paret would lose consciousness and leaned against the rope looking limp while Griffith continued pumelling him wiht punches(it was about 17 straight punches until the referree finally came in and stop the fight). Paret never regained consciousness and he eventually passed away 9daysafter the fight .it was a tragedy, i watched the clip and it sent chills down my spine.
Mean Mister Mustard
This one does not involve a dead, but how can I not mention Chavez-Taylor I? The issue can be debated back and forth but the fact remains that Taylor had only a couple of seconds before his hand would have been raised. As a Mexican, I always rooted for Chavez but that's not enough to blind me from the truth. Taylor should have gotten the win. The tragedy is that Taylor would never be the same again.
BigG
The Montiel-Alcazar fight was on the MAB-Morales II undercard. Cotto was also on there. Alcazar seemed fine after the fight...sad that he passed away. He was definitely a good young up and coming champion at that point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.