Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TJ Wilson-Travis Walker
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Lil-lightsout
It went a total of 15 SECONDS! Wilson jumped right on Walker and stunned him momentarily, threw a couple of punches and the ref is stopping the fight. Talk about a premature stoppage, IMO this is probably the worst one ever.
Jack 1000
Yes,

This seemed like a quick stoppage. There were only about 3 of the 8 punches that landed cleanly of Wilson's out of the corner blitz. While hurt and stunned, Walker in my view was not wobbled or in any serious danger. It's a damn good thing that this was NOT a major fight! This was comparable to a Great Britain stoppage, where the refs there are often known to stop fights literally before they get started! The ref was Raul Caiz Sr. The commentators were split as to whether or not the stoppage was premature. What did you think?

Jack
flazi
that stoppage was bs.
Col Reb
That was awful. Though he looked for a split second like a guy out on his feet, you can't justify stopping a fight after fifteen seconds.
BrutalBodyShots
Situations like this are perfect to use the standing 8 count... I can't think of any reason NOT to use it.

Jack 1000
I'm not sure on this,

BUT I think this was the same ref that did Calzaghe-Lacy and allowed Jeff to take a 12-round beating. In this instance, what is worse, letting a fight go on like that, or stopping a fight only 15 seconds in with about 3 power shots landed?

I think this stoppage was bad enough for Walker to file a protest with the California State Athletic Commission and for a rematch to be in order. Stopping a fight this quickly allows no recovery time and it's unfair for Walker to have to deal with a scenario such as this. Heavyweight punchers can quick blitz guys, at least give the victim of a blitz SOME time to recover.

Caiz fucked this up, BIG TIME! I don't even think this is a ref who is noted for quick stoppages. Makes no sense to me.

Jack
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 20 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]361685[/snapback]
Situations like this are perfect to use the standing 8 count... I can't think of any reason NOT to use it.

I was thinking the same thing.

Jack- You are right,he got blitzed for a split second and he was not giving any time to recover!
dbdbdb
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 20 2007, 02:52 AM) [snapback]361685[/snapback]

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Who knows what that ref was thinking. If anything he deserved a standing count, NOT a stoppage. Because yes, he got caught with a few good shots but was aware and able to continue.

This is the kind of sh*t that ruins boxing as a whole ............ Bad judgement calls by the refs and poor scoring by the judges. Both have contributed to the demise of boxing and last night was a perfect example.
Chi-Town
I guess I'm in the serious minority here. I think the stoppage was questionable, but not outright "bad" so to speak. When Walker got hit with the first flush shot behind the ear, his hands dropped and his head was dangling before taking the final two clean shots. I certainly believe that the referee has a valid argument for the stoppage because we have to remember that it is his job to be proactive and not reactive...to protect the fighter from being seriously hurt and not wait until the guy is actually out on his feet. I agree with the other posters who have said a standing 8 count would have been a very good way to handle it.
NickBarker
I'm in your camp, Chi-Town. I, too, think that it was probably premature; however, Walker did drop his hands and Wilson threw about three or four shots before Caiz, Sr. jumped in.

As for the standing eight count, I wasn't paying close attention, but I imagine they were using the ABC rules and hence that would prohibit the referee from using the count.
sTotheR
if he let it go longer it would have been ugly...he looked like a bobble head in the corner. His hands didn't go back up until Caiz jumped in there.
NickBarker
I think the evidence available to Caiz made the stoppage a reasonable one. It's not the referee's fault that Walker decided to spring to life only after the fight had been ended. You simply cannot sit on the ropes with your hands down and expect to continue, especially at heavyweight. It's a shame that it most likely ended the fight prematurely, but Walker was not smart in his defense.
Jack 1000
But what would crowds, cable and dish companies, have done if this was a major PPV fight?! They would have rioted or something. Could you imagine if Kessler-Calzaghe gets stopped like that. (I hope they don't use a British ref, because that's the kind of stuff you get over there.) Ridiculous! A ref has to take into account the fact that heavyweights, especially big punching heavyweights, are by their nature, big bastards who hit hard. I say, at least let the guy fall or take a few more shots. With refs like these, why even start the fight in the first place?

Was there a recent ring death in California that might have contributed to this quick stoppage? Perhaps this would make this stoppage more understandable?

Jack
NickBarker
I'm not one to advocate too much proactivity in stopping fights, Jack. I just feel that Walker was not fighting smartly by dropping his hands while on the ropes and not throwing back. The standing eight count really would have helped there.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Oct 20 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]361741[/snapback]
I'm not one to advocate too much proactivity in stopping fights, Jack. I just feel that Walker was not fighting smartly by dropping his hands while on the ropes and not throwing back. The standing eight count really would have helped there.

Yes,

Maybe the standing 8 count should be reintroduced. To prevent abuses of it, I would recommend that it be done a maximum of only once per round per fighter.

Jack
Spyder
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Oct 20 2007, 02:30 PM) [snapback]361743[/snapback]
Yes,

Maybe the standing 8 count should be reintroduced. To prevent abuses of it, I would recommend that it be done a maximum of only once per round per fighter.

Jack

That's ridiculous. The point of the standing 8 count is to give the hurt fighter time to recover if he is seemingly out on his feet. How can you limit the number of uses of an as needed type of device? You either have it or you don't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.