Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Betting on Vargas - Mayorga
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
moscow bear
Fellas,

The fight will be apparently at 168, which signals that Vargas is terribly out of shape... yet he is a betting favorite.
How many of you believe that putting some dough on Mayorga is a decent bet?
NickBarker
It would depend on the line. I'm hard pressed to make a pick on this one. Vargas' weight, though, is making me lean more towards Mayorga.
moscow bear
my bookie gives 2.55 on Mayorga, 1,5 on Vargas
NickBarker
Those aren't bad odds.
BrutalBodyShots
If you can get anything better than 2-1 back on your money go with Mayorga.

Shit the best pick in this fight would probably be the under, which I'd guess would be around 6.5 rounds give or take.

Mayorga has at least shown the ability to take more punishment IMO, and won't crumble from a few of Vargas' shots. Vargas on the other hand lately has shown to have very little resiliency and gets hurt very easily. Add to that how incredibly out of shape he has gotten and there's no reason to believe that Mayorga couldn't win this one.

Snoop
But we should also remember Mayorga looked his best at welterweight, not super middleweight, which means he may also come in terribly out of shape. In fact he was demolished at middleweight. So we might just get a fight between two terribly out of shape guys. LOL. But in any case, Mayorga's effectiveness at such a high weight class should also be taken into consideration.
BrutalBodyShots
No doubt that this fight is well above where either man should be fighting and I doubt that either will be really effective at 168.

I think it all comes down to who you think can take more punishment at this stage of the game. We know both can dish it out, but who can take it better? My belief is that Mayorga has taken less punishment than Vargas and has a little more left in the tank at this late stage in both fighters careers.

thefloatingmonkey
Please tell me that this is not still a pay-per-view.
singletrack
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Oct 20 2007, 04:49 PM) [snapback]361768[/snapback]
my bookie gives 2.55 on Mayorga, 1,5 on Vargas

I'd take those odds - that's much better than any of the online sites. Although, the weight of the fight is a concern - Mayorga shouldn't be fighting above 154 IMO.
Tha Docta
mayorga was never effective at anything over 154. i think his biggest victory over 147lbs was piccirilo. i think the higher weight will benefit vargas since he has the bigger frame.

im sorry but i cant shake the image of mayorga crumbling at the hands of delahoya. if vargas can land punches, he will stop mayorga.
buford54
Agreed. It sounds like a good bet...but ever since Mayorga took a beating from Trinidad, he has lost it. Besides, he's never fought over 160, and his power wasn't there at 160.
I wouldn't put money on Mayorga.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(buford54 @ Oct 23 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]362071[/snapback]
Agreed. It sounds like a good bet...but ever since Mayorga took a beating from Trinidad, he has lost it. Besides, he's never fought over 160, and his power wasn't there at 160.
I wouldn't put money on Mayorga.

he didnt have any power at 154 either. the only weight he was ever effective at was 147. i think the extra weight hurts mayorga since he is basically a sitting duck at anything over 147lbs.
BrutalBodyShots
I don't think it really matters that Mayorga hasn't shown signifcant power since 147 because Vargas has been stunned by non-power shots by fighters over the last several years. A Mayorga bomb is more than enough to finish off the current version of Vargas. I feel however it would take multiple Vargas bombs to take out Mayorga.

moscow bear
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 23 2007, 11:21 PM) [snapback]362140[/snapback]
I don't think it really matters that Mayorga hasn't shown signifcant power since 147 because Vargas has been stunned by non-power shots by fighters over the last several years. A Mayorga bomb is more than enough to finish off the current version of Vargas. I feel however it would take multiple Vargas bombs to take out Mayorga.

The only thing that makes me hesitate is that Mayorga is a punk, and I have no idea how seriously he is preparing for the fight.
Tha Docta
QUOTE(moscow bear @ Oct 24 2007, 04:02 AM) [snapback]362174[/snapback]
The only thing that makes me hesitate is that Mayorga is a punk, and I have no idea how seriously he is preparing for the fight.

thats a good point too. i feel that one of the only reasons why mayorga was good at one time is because he had to train his ass off just to make the 147lb limit. with the weight limit being this high, i dont think hes going to train all that hard.

vargas should be able to beat mayorga. i know vargas got ko'd by shane, but shanes speed was a big factor in that.
BrutalBodyShots
Another thing that you have to speculate about is how much Mosley further cracked Vargas' chin after those two fights. Certainly Vargas isn't going to take a shot BETTER after taking those clean shots from Mosley recently.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.