Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto is looking good
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
AussieLad

Still picking mosely
dbdbdb
I think this is going to be a war!! Which is a good thing thumbsup_anim.gif

Cotto looks alot bigger than a welterweight in that photo. And he looks to be in great shape.
Yucayeke
He looks ripped and ready, I can't wait until the 10th, this fight will deliver
BrutalBodyShots
He does look to be much more cut than usual. I've never thought that Cotto was all that ripped of a guy, just that his natural body type was more solid than ripped but that photo shows otherwise.

He's probably a solid 160 in that shot.

Mean Mister Mustard
I remember Collazo's trainer saying that Cotto uses roids. I have always thought his body changed fairly quickly from 2002 to 2004 but then again I'm just speculating.
Maxy
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 21 2007, 11:36 AM) [snapback]361856[/snapback]
He does look to be much more cut than usual. I've never thought that Cotto was all that ripped of a guy, just that his natural body type was more solid than ripped but that photo shows otherwise.

I think that shot is at least a couple of weeks old. I definitely saw that same photo at least a week ago. I'm really hope Cotto can win this fight.

Brutal, you made your gym yet?
BrutalBodyShots
I think just about all fighters use or have used roids by the time they get to the top level - it's just that you only hear about maybe 1 out of 10 cases.

Maxy
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 21 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]361908[/snapback]
I think just about all fighters use or have used roids by the time they get to the top level - it's just that you only hear about maybe 1 out of 10 cases.

I hope you're wrong about that statement. I think you're wrong, at least I want you to be wrong.

Brutal, you made your gym yet?
Southeastpaw
Maxy is a gym-pusher.

Peer pressure is a bitch, I think I am going to experiment.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 21 2007, 06:39 PM) [snapback]361905[/snapback]
I remember Collazo's trainer saying that Cotto uses roids. I have always thought his body changed fairly quickly from 2002 to 2004 but then again I'm just speculating.

I don't know about the roids as Cotto always looked 1/2 starved at 140. He was always huge for 140 so maybe he has just filled out & is at a more comfortable weight. I would assume he walks around at 170 or so & the way he cuts so much weight he may look juiced.
mrchrissanchez
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Oct 21 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]361942[/snapback]
I don't know about the roids as Cotto always looked 1/2 starved at 140. He was always huge for 140 so maybe he has just filled out & is at a more comfortable weight. I would assume he walks around at 170 or so & the way he cuts so much weight he may look juiced.
man he looks ripped i just hope he comes out victorious nov 10... if he gets by the 5th round HE WILL BEAT shane mosley... becuz he is more dangerous in the later rounds
Tha Docta
QUOTE(mrchrissanchez @ Oct 22 2007, 05:33 AM) [snapback]361956[/snapback]
man he looks ripped i just hope he comes out victorious nov 10... if he gets by the 5th round HE WILL BEAT shane mosley... becuz he is more dangerous in the later rounds

great prediction, because mosley always fades after 5 rounds and just quits. usually, mosley throws every punch he has for 4 or 5 rounds and if his opponent is still there, he just lays down on the canvas and gets counted out. then he goes home and bangs Jin after slapping his kids around a little.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 21 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]361908[/snapback]

Absolutely. The training these guys go through daily is mind-blowing. There aren't many other professional athletes that could take on boxing training IMO.
singletrack
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 21 2007, 02:39 PM) [snapback]361905[/snapback]

IF Cotto takes steroids, the people that could actually confirm that would be extremely small. I severely doubt Collazo's trainer would have that knowledge. Also, Cotto went from killing himself to make 140 to being more comfortable at 147. Although he is still pretty big for 147. I would guess he walks around at 165+ when he is not training.

People should also keep in mind that Cotto was still developing physically at junior welter (he was still young). He has matured a lot physically since then. I don't see anything unnatural about his progression - I've seen many solid athletes make similar gains naturally with less rigorous training than he has endured.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 21 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]361856[/snapback]

He was that ripped in the pre-Judah pictures, but his upper arms look bigger to me here.
singletrack
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Oct 21 2007, 03:06 AM) [snapback]361818[/snapback]

Still picking mosely

Thanks for the pick man! Where did you get it? Got a link to more?
singletrack
LOL - actually this pic IS from before the Judah fight. I have it saved locally on my laptop with a file date of June 5th, 2007.
Tha Docta
my physique kinda looks like this. except i dont have all those muscles getting in the way.
Southeastpaw
The title of some of these threads sound pretty funny at times.
BigG
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Oct 22 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]361941[/snapback]
Maxy is a gym-pusher.

Peer pressure is a bitch, I think I am going to experiment.

laugh.gif Make sure to have your fighters talk trash so I can find your gym easily.
Southeastpaw
LOL! Right on george. My gym will have the word "south" in it somewhere.
kidbazooka1
Cotto looks F*ckin ripped I think he's gonna pound Mosley to get a late rd stoppage.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(singletrack @ Oct 22 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]361965[/snapback]
LOL - actually this pic IS from before the Judah fight. I have it saved locally on my laptop with a file date of June 5th, 2007.

Interesting... so that's not even a current pic.

mrchrissanchez
is there anyway we can get an UPDATED picture of miguel cotto before he goes to war with sugar shane
Maxy
QUOTE(mrchrissanchez @ Oct 23 2007, 01:40 AM) [snapback]362055[/snapback]
is there anyway we can get an UPDATED picture of miguel cotto before he goes to war with sugar shane

Recent Pics
PUERTOROCKS
I think Shane is going to get punished in this fight. Shane's pride is way to big to box from the outside at this stage. It is going to be a war!!!!!!!!!!
mrchrissanchez
QUOTE(PUERTOROCKS @ Oct 23 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]362068[/snapback]
I think Shane is going to get punished in this fight. Shane's pride is way to big to box from the outside at this stage. It is going to be a war!!!!!!!!!!

vernon forrest all over again... he might have quicker hands butt cottos power will eventually wear him down in the later stages. Also zab is probally quicker than shane butt look wat happened, i just hope he stands toe to toe with cotto... i do not want to see any "sweet science" bullshit
Maxy
I'm gonna go out on a limb and predict a Cotto stoppage win.

I'm thinking Mosley is yesterday's news and Cotto is the for now and the future.
BigG
vernon forrest all over again... he might have quicker hands butt cottos power will eventually wear him down in the later stages. Also zab is probally quicker than shane butt look wat happened, i just hope he stands toe to toe with cotto... i do not want to see any "sweet science" bullshit

^Why? It would be stupid for Shane NOT to box Cotto...
NickBarker
Cotto's build is absolutely ridiculous for a welterweight. A lot of it has to do with how short and compact he is. He's a total bull.
WolfishPromistah
Shane's gonna punish this dude!
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(mrchrissanchez @ Oct 24 2007, 03:52 PM) [snapback]362210[/snapback]

Vernon outboxed Shane, Cotto will not outbox Mosley! Comparing Zab and Shane is ridiculous. "Sweet science" bullshit, this is boxing we ase talking about, right? One thing you forgot to mention, what happens to Cotto when Mosley checks that chin? Lights-out Miguel!
BigG
Zab is actually quicker and hits harder then Shane at this point in their careers.
basicjab
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Oct 24 2007, 08:46 PM) [snapback]362217[/snapback]
Vernon outboxed Shane, Cotto will not outbox Mosley! Comparing Zab and Shane is ridiculous. "Sweet science" bullshit, this is boxing we ase talking about, right? One thing you forgot to mention, what happens to Cotto when Mosley checks that chin? Lights-out Miguel!

I don't know, at this point I am favoring Cotto. Like someone said, Mosley is yesterday's new and the momentum is in Cotto's favor.
BigG
It's not pointless because when Judah lands he hurts guys...When Shane throws combinations recently they just seem like pitty pat stuff. If he fights Cotto like he fought Collazo then I'll go ahead and say that Cotto will PUNISH Shane more then Shane will punish him...it's gonna be a war but even though Shane wins, the man will take a beating.

Judah landed some big shots that stunned Cotto and Cotto just walked throug him and punish him all night and since I am a huge Zab fan that was hard to watch....That was by far the WORST loss of Zab's career by a mile.

BigG
Shane CAN hurt Cotto, but let's just say at this point in their careers, I'd give Zab a better chance at hurting Cotto then Shane has. Everyone knows Shane is a better and smarter fighter then Zab is. But Zab can flat out CRACK. And his speed is incredible.

People should watch Shane's other recent fights against Estrada and Cruz. Two pressure fighters but nothing compared to Cotto. I remember Shane hurting Estrada to the body but those fights weren't exactly blowouts. They were competitive. In fact, I remember thinking Mosley was done after his fight with Cruz because he looked like crap and won by a 97-93 type score. And Fernando was damaged goods against Shane. Every top fighter from 147-160 woulda knocked his ass out that night with the exception of Cory Spinks. Collazo was a very good win for Mosley. He looked good and fought smart but Collazo definitely aint no Cotto.

I think Mosley can outbox Cotto but Cotto is so strong and relentless and he is such a good puncher that his pressure will get to Shane at some point in the fight.

I think it's a toss up really. We'll see what happens.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 24 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]362240[/snapback]
Shane CAN hurt Cotto, but let's just say at this point in their careers, I'd give Zab a better chance at hurting Cotto then Shane has. Everyone knows Shane is a better and smarter fighter then Zab is. But Zab can flat out CRACK. And his speed is incredible.

People should watch Shane's other recent fights against Estrada and Cruz. Two pressure fighters but nothing compared to Cotto. I remember Shane hurting Estrada to the body but those fights weren't exactly blowouts. They were competitive. In fact, I remember thinking Mosley was done after his fight with Cruz because he looked like crap and won by a 97-93 type score. And Fernando was damaged goods against Shane. Every top fighter from 147-160 woulda knocked his ass out that night with the exception of Cory Spinks. Collazo was a very good win for Mosley. He looked good and fought smart but Collazo definitely aint no Cotto.

I think Mosley can outbox Cotto but Cotto is so strong and relentless and he is such a good puncher that his pressure will get to Shane at some point in the fight.

I think it's a toss up really. We'll see what happens.

As far as the Estrada and Cruz fights, I am pretty sure Shane was not motivated for those fights. I am positive he is motivated for Cotto, and you will see the best Mosley he has to offer. And if Cotto wins, he is the better fighter. And for the Collazo fight, he dominated Collazo and just outboxed him. Collazo is slick and was not a fight for Shane to really try and throw power shots and hurt him. For his fight with Cotto, Miguel will be right there for Shane to throw power shots and and try and hurt him. Don't sleep on Shane's power, I think he might surprise you. I agree with you, this fight is really a toss-up. I am really pulling for Shane to win in spectacular fashion.
BrutalBodyShots
Like I've said all along if Cotto beats Mosley he will have beaten Mosley in a way that no one else has. Mosley has only had trouble with guys taller than him (Wright, Forrest, DLH to some degree) with EXCELLENT jabs. All 3 of those guys have A-level jabs. Cotto can't beat Mosley the way we've seen Mosley beaten before; if he does it we will see something new.

As for the whole Zab/Mosley speed/power discussion, I don't think it matters all too much. Both have comperable speed and power. Yes Zab is probably a little faster, but it isn't a night and day thing. They both have above average hand speed and hand speed superior to Cotto. Both have good power at 147 and again yeah Zab probably edges Mosley with a single left hand, but Mosley will throw several shots at once. If the first rocks Cotto, while it isn't as hard as Zab's single left hand Mosley will have 2 shots behind it. If either of those lands you'll see Cotto on queer street ala the Torres fight. I'd take Mosley to finish his hurt man 10 times out of 10 over Zab's hurt man.

Elijah
"but Mosley will throw several shots at once. If the first rocks Cotto, while it isn't as hard as Zab's single left hand Mosley will have 2 shots behind it. If either of those lands you'll see Cotto on queer street ala the Torres fight. I'd take Mosley to finish his hurt man 10 times out of 10 over Zab's hurt man."

Somebody mentioned this before, those combos that Mosley throws these days are all flash and rarely have any pop on them. He doesn't throw them with anywhere near the intentions he did a few years ago. You're right the first one might rock Cotto but the two or three after that are pitty pat type stuff. I think that's exactly where Mosley is gonna be in trouble. Cotto will be able to withstand that first shot then after a few rounds walk through anything Mosley is throwing just like he did against his previous opponents.
Mean Mister Mustard
Mosley does have underrated power. Sometimes it's scary to watch him load up on those hard sledge hammer right hands. Remember he hurt Wright in their first fight with one of those bad boys.

Interestingly enough, Cotto seems to take punches very to the chin, see the monstrous uppercut he absorbed from Judah and the follow-up barrage in the first round, but he does seem to be hurt by shots to the temple more easily. If Mosley catches him with one of those hammer-house right hands I mentioned above it could be lights out for Cotto.

If Cotto fights Mosley like he did Judah, it is going to be the Torres fight all over again. Cotto fought in walk-foward mode against Judah because he knew that Judah would not hold up. But look how he fought Maglianni and Quintana, he showed more movement, better handspeed and world class counterpunching. Cotto is not one dimensional and has a pretty solid peek-a-boo defense.

I'm going with Cotto to win a unanimous decision.
X3_Bazooka_X3
QUOTE(AussieLad @ Oct 21 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]361818[/snapback]

Still picking mosely

Cotto is going to punch holes in Mosley
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Oct 26 2007, 07:46 PM) [snapback]362465[/snapback]
Interestingly enough, Cotto seems to take punches very to the chin, see the monstrous uppercut he absorbed from Judah and the follow-up barrage in the first round, but he does seem to be hurt by shots to the temple more easily. If Mosley catches him with one of those hammer-house right hands I mentioned above it could be lights out for Cotto.

Very good observation, I had not thought of that. Mosley does wind up that right hand pretty good and can throw it at close quarters and catch you on high on the head/on the left temple. I think if Mosley does hurt Cotto to set up a barrage it will all start with this shot at relative close range.

That shot that Mosley wobbled Wright with was pretty impressive and does suggest that Mosley has underrated power (and that was at 154) being that Wright was able to take Taylor's and Hopkins' bombs fairly well.

X3_Bazooka_X3
Mosley doesnt have under rated power its rated correctly IMO, other than Vargas when was the last time Mosley scored a knock out? not since the fight with Taylor several years ago. Cotto can be hurt but is mosley the man to do it, lets not forget Cotto is in all honesty the naturally bigger man while Shane started out at 135 cottos first fight was at the same weight but that was his only fight at that weight Cotto has fought basicly at Jr Welter and Welter he is the younger fresher and bigger of the two, who doesnt hesitate to go after that body, and based on the damage that Forrest was able to do to Shanes body, Cotto IMO would be wise to invest in that area if he wants to look spectacular, honestly the closer the fight gets the easier I feel Cotto wins.
I am taking MC Late stoppage here
AussieLad
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Oct 27 2007, 03:30 AM) [snapback]362482[/snapback]
Cotto is going to punch holes in Mosley

The longer it goes, the more it favours cotto. Not that i think shane fades badly, but that cotto gets stronger

But what i do see is cotto being vulnerable early in fights, and a guy with speed and power can shake him up badly. I see shane landing on him early, and i see the pressure applied more effectively than judah managed. I dont think mosely will stop cotto, but i see him piling up points in the first 4-5 rounds, maybe even a knockdown.

I then see cotto turning it round later in the fight as he starts coming on, but moselys early bank of points, plus winning 1 or 2 of the final rounds, will get him over the line.

Cotto is hard to stop, but then so is shane.

Shane by SD, and i reckon there will be a fair bit of controversy over the decision. There always will be when 2 big names are involved.
WolfishPromistah
Shane Mosely has faced larger guys than Cotto, so I cannot agree with this "Cotto is bigger, therefore basically better" crap. In fact, I am not even going to go for the "Oh, he seems to get so strong as the fight moves on," for he took hell against Ndou in the closing rounds, not indicative of someone who's so terribly strong down the line if you ask me. Meanwhile, as just pointed out, Shane's fought "THE man at 154," as well as larger guys in both Vargas and Marquez at 154, decisively beating the second two as far as I've seen and agreed to note. Sure there was Estrada and Collazo, but he also clearly beat them; so it's not like he's not doing something legitimately credible. Collazo, especially, is an swift enough southpaw, whom Shane beat while he didn't rush doing so. Nevertheless, the win was clear.

Then, try and give consideration to that fact Shane's been very competitive each time with all fighters since after his last fight against Delahoya -- at least shown up to where you knew he was there to fight, and this is greatly important being as -- yep, he's the little man coming from way down at 130; so that's no excuse to say that he cannot bang with these guys, being as he's proven he's to be reckoned with. I'm sorry, but I keep saying that Mosely is going to clearly beat Cotto, and I cannot see the astouding influences from Cotto's fights that make me think Cotto's somehow this great beast against someone of Mosely's class just because he's beaten Zab Judah, as well as other "up and coming fighters" of Cotto's level as he's risen. Oh, but of course I am not saying I forget Chop Chop Corley. Sure, he and Judah can be tough, no doubt, but neither is AS tough as Mosely from what I've seen.
Mean Mister Mustard
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Oct 27 2007, 11:25 PM) [snapback]362575[/snapback]
Shane Mosely has faced larger guys than Cotto, so I cannot agree with this "Cotto is bigger, therefore basically better" crap. In fact, I am not even going to go for the "Oh, he seems to get so strong as the fight moves on," for he took hell against Ndou in the closing rounds, not indicative of someone who's so terribly strong down the line if you ask me.

That might have had something to do with Cotto boiling himself to make 140. I don't know, pure speculation on my part. However, he did fade a bit in the Urkal fight. You could see his punches did not have the samel snap as they did back in the early rounds and I am sure Urkal could have made it to the end, had he not decided to quit.

Cotto may give the impression that he gets stronger as the fight goes on. That may be because his opponents slow down due to his potent attack. But he certainly doesn't get stronger as the fight go on like a Julio Cesar Chavez, Jose Luis Castillo or Bernard Hopkins. Cotto puts so much force behind his punches that by the last rounds he can be seen slightly stretching his arms as if to wake them up again.

I am picking Cotto to win the fight but it will be close. I see Cotto using more movement for this fight, he won't implement the same strategy that he used against Judah, at least I hope not unless he wants to recreate the Torres fight. I am not saying he's going to outbox Mosley but that he will pick his spots more. Basically, no one is going to outbox the other guy. Mosley is not a boxer, he will not get on his toes and outjab Cotto.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Oct 27 2007, 04:35 PM) [snapback]362529[/snapback]
Mosley doesnt have under rated power its rated correctly IMO, other than Vargas when was the last time Mosley scored a knock out? not since the fight with Taylor several years ago.

Mosley has not scored knock outs because he's fought guys that for the most part don't GET knocked out. Forrest, DLH, Collazo, Wright, etc. Guys like Vargas that had been knocked out prior Mosley was able to stop.

Bottom line is that Mosley at 154 was able to wobble/hurt Wright as good as we've seen Wright hurt, and that's having faced bigger/stronger guys in Taylor and Hopkins. If Mosley was able to do that at 154, he has enough pop at 147 to do damage with similar shots. Most everyone rights off Mosley's power since he moved up from 135 since his power was sickening at lightweight, but that doesn't mean he's a slouch at 147. If Corley, Torres and Judah were able to hurt Cotto I see no reason why Mosley wouldn't be able to do so at 147.

Shit, even the people picking Cotto in this fight for the most part are suggesting that Mosley will likely have his moments early possibly hurting and/or dropping Cotto.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 28 2007, 05:41 AM) [snapback]362606[/snapback]
But someone like Cotto gets hit, and can be hurt. Of course Mosley can hurt him, to say otherwise is ignorant.

I agree completely.

Looking back at Cotto's opponents that have had him in trouble, odds would certainly favor that Cotto will be hurt at some point against Mosley and probably within the first 3 rounds considering Cotto's history. The only real question then in my view is how Shane will (or won't) be able to capitalize on the situation.
torvix2000
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 28 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]362606[/snapback]
I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to believe that a fighter can get hurt by not even a big puncher at times. All it takes is a punch to hit the sweet spot.

And that some punch-resistant fighters can also get hurt by soft blows.

If Cotto gets hurt, he recovers quite well. I think, if ever somebody will hurt him, then that somebody must have some nice follow ups coming.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 28 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]362627[/snapback]
I agree completely.

Looking back at Cotto's opponents that have had him in trouble, odds would certainly favor that Cotto will be hurt at some point against Mosley and probably within the first 3 rounds considering Cotto's history. The only real question then in my view is how Shane will (or won't) be able to capitalize on the situation.

I think you made the key point there Brutal*. No one who has had cotto hurt went for the kill. Who really knows why, but I think that if cotto if hurt in there with mosley, the experience factor will come into play and mosley will try to finish him off correctly.

Power can be neutralized by a smart experienced fighter who maintains his composure. And IMO, mosley brings this element to the table. Which gives him an advantgage in this fight. I can't honestly take anything away from cotto, he has truly earned his place with consistant, diligent hard work.

But as holyfield has said in many of his fights, it will come down to who wants it the most. We all know that cotto wants it badly .......... But mosley has been very quiet over the last few months and its difficult to gauge where he is mentally. But this I am certain of, the team of very experienced Golden Boy stable mates are giving mosley alot of very good advice on how to beat cotto. And this is another element in mosley's favor ............. going into this fight, I would like to have someone like B-Hop & DLH helping me see those key elements that I can use to win.

I see a very tough fight for both and I do believe it will come down to who keeps their composure throughout, who fights smartly, and who wants it the most.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.