Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Povetkin/Byrd This Weekend
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
NickBarker
The first semi-final of the IBF tournament to produce the mandatory challenger for Wladimir Klitschko is in Germany, this Saturday.

Alexander Povetkin, as many of you know, is one of my favorite prospects. I feel that he really can be a breath of fresh air in the often stagnant heavyweight division. His amateur pedigree is spectacular and his professional career, so far, has been no less impressive. Chris Byrd will be the biggest test he's had to this point. However, given his dominant performance against the tricky Larry Donald, I have to believe that Povetkin will be able to prevail here, as well.

I'm not sure how this will turn out. I could see it going to the cards if Byrd sits back and attempts to box. On the other hand, if he comes at Povetkin like many of his previous fights, Povetkin could very well score a knock out.

Let me know what you all think. And does anyone know if it will be on Sopcast?
BrutalBodyShots
What ever happened to Byrd dropping back down to 200? I heard after the Klitschko fight that he was thinking of doing so?

The last thing I'd want to see (or ANYONE for that matter) would be Byrd getting a shot at Klitschko III.

stateofthegame
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 25 2007, 08:21 AM) [snapback]362264[/snapback]
What ever happened to Byrd dropping back down to 200? I heard after the Klitschko fight that he was thinking of doing so?

The last thing I'd want to see (or ANYONE for that matter) would be Byrd getting a shot at Klitschko III.

Or even worse, Byrd-Brock!!
Lil-lightsout
This has got to be a joke, right? 58 yr. old Holyfield justs fights for a belt for his 100th time and is a shell of himself. McCline basically has Peter KO'd in the third round, then he realizes he better take it easy and act like a sparring partner the rest of the fight and let Sam beat him. Now Byrd has an opportunity to get another title shot against Wlad, who absolutely gave Byrd a vicious beat down a couple years ago. Please Pokeman get rid of Byrd and spare us from this potential disaster matchup! WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE REAL AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHTS???
The Original MrFactor
I may be the only one who wouldnt mind seeing Byrd/Brock. Neither guy beats Wlad. I've never seen this guy Povetkin fight, what are Byrd's prospects for a win here?
BigG
I have to a agree with fitz. Fuck the HW division. I honestly don't give a shit about this Povetkin-Byrd fight. I've seen Povetkin fight and he is nothing special. Thank god for the 175 divisions and below. I like Sam Peter, but the man is nothing great at all.

Wlad is the tue HW champion.
BigG
The last time I got truly excited in a HW match was whenever Tyson fought. Probably Tyson-Danny Williams. Weather he was shot or not, you always had that feeling of excitement whenever you saw Mike in the ring.
Big Slim Sweet
Right now the heavyweight division is truly pathetic and virtually impossible to get excited about, but the heavies are and always will be the big dogs, so if someone starts making some noise I'll keep an eye on him. Today I have very little interest in Alexander Povetkin, but if I read on Sunday that he knocked out or dominated Chris Byrd, a guy I know is not easy to knock out or dominate, then I'll start paying a bit more attention to him. And if Eddie Chambers can make easy work next week of Calvin Brock, who I know is nothing special but gave Wlad a decent fight for 4-5 rounds, then a Povetkin-Chambers fight with the winner facing Wlad will be something that perhaps interests me.
BrutalBodyShots
I still think Byrd should have dropped to 200 and fought there for a strap. I guess once you've received a taste of heavyweight money it's hard to turn your back on that. He just isn't going to be able to compete with Wlad, ever so there's not much point in attempting to secure another shot against him by working through the heavyweight ranks again. Other than another payday, of course.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 25 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]362308[/snapback]
I still think Byrd should have dropped to 200 and fought there for a strap.

The way I remember it is that he explored a fight with O'Neil Bell when he was still champ there but the networks showed only lukewarm interest. I thought I also read there were no takers for Byrd-Jirov at cruiser either. The cruisers get no love. Shame because right now it's a much better, more exciting division than the heavies.
gods son
im a fan of Povetkin, i hope he demolishes Byrd!

BrutalBodyShots
I think Byrd would have made a damn good Cruiser had he stayed away from heavyweight. But that's all in hindsight.

MarzB
If Byrd loses to someone with 13 fights, it's true indeed over but I think he definitely has much more gas in his tank than that. I don't care how tough this guy is.

That said, does anyone know what channel on sopcast this is coming on..
NickBarker
I agree with many of you that the heavyweight division is very weak right now. However, I think the prospects could very well improve with the emergence of prospects likes Povetkin, Odlanier Solis, and some of the other young Soviet fighters. I have very little faith in the quality of the American crop right now, but will still watch with interest how guys like Chambers, Chazz Witherspoon, and Kevin Johnson do.

George, you and I have disagreed about Povetkin for a while. I think he is a prospect on the same level of potential as Berto, Victor Ortiz, Juan Manuel Lopez, Yuriorkis Gamboa, and Andy Lee. Assuming he beats Byrd today, which I do, he will no longer be a prospect, but a very legitimate contender.

As for the Sopcast, I'll be looking. I know it is on German television, but I'm trying to get the details.
BigG
I think Povektin can be a promising prospect in this weak ass division. But he aint no young Tyson or young Riddick Bowe.

But he can be better then the John Ruiz and Hasim Rahmans of the world.
NickBarker
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he accomplishes more in his career than Riddick Bowe. As for Tyson, you're right, they're different kinds of fighters and obviously Tyson will always be hard to match. However, I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that he's an excellent prospect, but being able to simultaneously maintain that he may not be the GOAT.
Blayde
Povetkin is coming to the ring now! smile.gif
MarzB
Sopcast link

sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/26262
gods son
LOL..byrd 's son is working in his corner ..
so much respect between byrda nd pov!!!
gods son
Round 4 was sick!!!!!

i give that to Povetkin!!!

Blayde
I got it 6-1 for Povetkin. Looks like its gonna be the expected wide UD.
gods son
all over!!round 11..towel thrown in..Pov wins!!!

NickBarker
My Sopcast was having all kinds of problems so I couldn't watch the fight.

I was reading round-by-rounds and it seems like it took Povetkin a little while to figure out Byrd's defense. As I understand it, Povetkin really started putting the pressure on in the midrounds and it completely turned then. I'm surprised he got the stoppage, but I hear that Byrd's father may have thrown the towel in a bit earlier than a non-family trainer would have.

Great win for Povetkin.
gods son
QUOTE(NickBarker @ Oct 27 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]362538[/snapback]
My Sopcast was having all kinds of problems so I couldn't watch the fight.

I was reading round-by-rounds and it seems like it took Povetkin a little while to figure out Byrd's defense. As I understand it, Povetkin really started putting the pressure on in the midrounds and it completely turned then. I'm surprised he got the stoppage, but I hear that Byrd's father may have thrown the towel in a bit earlier than a non-family trainer would have.

Great win for Povetkin.

Povetkin lacks power..which may affect his journey on winning the title..who knows?
I like his energy, and i hope he does achieve great things in HW!!

BigG
I didn't see the fight...but stopping Byrd in your 13th pro fight is a good achievment. But IMO Byrd IS past his prime.
moscow bear
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 27 2007, 10:29 PM) [snapback]362540[/snapback]
I didn't see the fight...but stopping Byrd in your 13th pro fight is a good achievment. But IMO Byrd IS past his prime.

the stoppage was bullshit
stateofthegame
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 28 2007, 03:29 AM) [snapback]362540[/snapback]

I agree George. Great win, but Byrd has seen better days. He ought to thanf Pov, because he saved him another Wad beating.
The Original MrFactor
Byrd is a good name for any up and comer's resume. I wonder if Byrd is now considered a gatekeeper at heavy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.