Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: most underrated athlete in recorded sports history
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
adambomb
Bernard Hopkins.
You may not love his style every fight but if you consider being the only man ever to KO
Oscar De La Hoya and Trinidad and to defend the middleweight title as many times as he did, then beat tarver
for the light heavyweight championship and lately to beat winky wright.
throw in his age, his transfomation of his life, standing alone by managing himself, and lastly
when puerto rican fans booed the national anthem pre 9-11 he went to puerto rico and stood up for his country.
after 9-11 and never again will anyone boo the national anthem at the garden or any where in America. there would never be another fighter who would do such an unselfish act.als
This guy has been ahead of the curve for so long. without hbo and other bs marketing this guy is an american hero.
what a shame. he has accomplished more than any one ever in sports history just that we live in a time where everything is so saturated.
what a disgrace that duane ford who if you look on boxrec at his scores is always perfectly on the mark but gave lou di taylor the last round to take his title away.
anyway...

Thank you bernard!
mexi-cutioner
underrated, yes u coudl say so, but the most underrated athlete of all time?? not a chance
caneman
bhop is a bad man but i think the best athlete of all time would be someone like jim thrope! i think athlete's today should be faster,stronger & better but they are missing the mental toughness of many of the old timers threw out history as a whole!
BrutalBodyShots
This is a boxing forum so you want to speak in terms of "boxing history" not "sports history." That would belong in the general section.

adambomb
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Oct 26 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]362410[/snapback]
This is a boxing forum so you want to speak in terms of "boxing history" not "sports history." That would belong in the general section.

ok so i will say most underrated in boxing history.
i know there are plenty that will find reasons to say "no way"
Ali went against the war as did millions of others.
how many fighter said F-You to the powers controlling boxing and still turned it out
when every possible expert, writer and fan called him an idiot a. before the the trinidad fight. b. after the fight for taking a low paying follow up
c. for giving Lou Di Taylor credit for robbing him of his title.
Thegreatequalizer
i definitely don't think b-hop is the most underrated in boxing history. he's known as one of the top pound for pound fighters today. and obviously one of the best over 40 p-4-p-ers of all time. plus all the accolades he got for beating tarver. i think winky is way ahead of b-hop as far as underrated and/or unappreciated, and that's just for this era.
Thegreatequalizer
and as far as all athletes of all time, i would have to say bill russell, who is the winningest player in the history of all team sports (11 championships in 13 pro seasons, 2 ncaa championships, and an olympic gold). i've seen him get left off a bunch of all-time lists by espn, etc.

sorry to go off (boxing) topic, i just got to give my man his due!
STEVENSKI
Hopkins would only ever be underrated by the uneducated. He is a all time great fighter & one of the most dominant & consistant middleweights of all time. The fact that a young buck that was billed as the next big thing got two narrow wins over him at his age shows how great he is besides the fact that he dominated the universally recognised 175lb champion & Wright who Taylor also got a draw with.

caneman
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Oct 28 2007, 02:17 AM) [snapback]362590[/snapback]
and as far as all athletes of all time, i would have to say bill russell, who is the winningest player in the history of all team sports (11 championships in 13 pro seasons, 2 ncaa championships, and an olympic gold). i've seen him get left off a bunch of all-time lists by espn, etc.

sorry to go off (boxing) topic, i just got to give my man his due!

he didn't do anything wrong bro & glad the fighthype police ain't all over you laugh.gif it does say athlete....not boxer! one thing i will bring up though, for me, athlete means all around & not one sport! anyone who leaves him off a basketball list, done lost their freaking ever loving mind!
STEVENSKI
Anthony "the man" Mundine is what I would consider a great athlete. Excellent footballer but not elite, excellent boxer but not elite & excellent basketballer but not elite (good enough to make a living from anyway). To me that is a all round athlete. I still hate the prick though.
BigG
Is Roy Jones Mundines idol?
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Oct 28 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]362711[/snapback]
Is Roy Jones Mundines idol?

Yes but has a much bigger mouth.
Southeastpaw
No way is BHop the most underrated boxer, let alone athlete. He may have been underrated for what he was worth at one time, but I believe he got his just acknowledgments. He has been recognized as a top 10 P4P great for how many years consecutively now? Definitely not underrated.
Nobudius
X is generally recognized as the last notable middleweight champion. Don't know how that can be underrated, especially in a division that has major prestige.

Lower weight class champions are always underrated. There are/were some great little guys that could fight.

STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Oct 29 2007, 03:59 AM) [snapback]362742[/snapback]
Haha, Stevenski. You have got to bid on this, you will love it.

This was made for you STEVENSKI

It is a bit steep at $400.00. That being said a signed one would be classic. Imagine going up to him & saying "Hey Choc can you sign a fight photo for me?" He would say "Yo bro iz koo you know i'm da man". Then he would see it & totally flip out.

adambomb
ok will it is my opinion and I am sure there are other things you guys feels about certain boxers that i would disagree with.
Anyway some good comments back and I am glad Pavlik knocked out taylor to avenge the first robbery of my hero. thanks guys!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.