Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting article in "El Nuevo Día" on Miguel Cotto
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
singletrack
http://www.elnuevodia.com/diario/noticia/b...46;./306818

Translated by yours truly.

Title: A necessary evil...

Subtitle: The end justifies the means. For the welterweight world champion, throwing low blows in boxing is justified. Listen to the boricua pugilist Miguel Cotto.

In margin: Miguel Cotto (left) reiterated yesterday that the low blows landed on Zab Judah (right) in his last chamionship fight were not on purpose.

"You have to do what you have to do to win and if, on accasion you have to do it on purpose, then you have to do it. You have to be intelligent."

These are the words with which, the champion of the world Miguel Cotto, reacted to the accusations of Jack Mosley, father and trainer of Shane Mosley, who the day before yesterday said that every time Cotto is in trouble he resorts to throwing low blows.

"I'm not admiting that I have previously used low blows on purpose. The low blows in the Zab Judah fight were not on purpose. But what I am saying is that you have to do what you have to do to win a fight", asserted the WBA Champion, in a voice conference to promote his November 10th fight against Mosley in Madisson Square Garden in New York.

Another of the 'jabs' thrown by the Mosleys, in particular by Shane, was that the chin of Cotto, and therefore his ability to recover, are questionable. It was for that reason that the Caguas native also had a direct response.

"We are boxers, there is nothing else to consider. When you take a good shot, you have to find any way to survive it. The question is if Shane can take a good shot and survive."

In his statements, Mosley emphasized that he would enter the ring quicker, but at the same time, stronger than Cotto. But for the Boricua, heart is more important than strength.

"I don't have to be faster ot stronger than him. I have to be more intelligent in the ring on the 10th of November and that will give me the victory. Thirty other boxers have said they are going to knock me out and they have failed. Mosley will be the 31st to fail."

During the conference, the topic of steroids was touched on and although the promoter Bob Arum downplayed the importance of the subject, by stating that "we know that Shane Mosley is a clean guy and that is not an issue here", Cotto responded to the question as to what his advantage is over Mosley. "The advantage I have is that I don't need to use other supplements and substances. I depend solely on my training, of my body and of my stamina.

Arum reacted to the coments of Jack Mosley by saying that "when I heard Jack say that about Cotto, it was music to my ears. That's the same thing Emmanuel Steward said about Pavlik for the Jermaine Taylor fight. And he said it because he knew that his fighter didn't have sufficient confidence in himself. Emmanuel tried to discredit Pavlik and you never hear him doing that. I also have never heard Jack discredit anyone. He did it because he is scared and to give confidence to Shane, because he knows that he is not too confident in his ability to beat Miguel."
Snoop
Thanks for the translation but I think you forgot a paragraph after the "These are words with which..." paragraph.

I'm trying to become fluent in Spanish and this helps out a ton.
singletrack
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 1 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]363085[/snapback]
Thanks for the translation but I think you forgot a paragraph after the "These are words with which..." paragraph.

I'm trying to become fluent in Spanish and this helps out a ton.

Thanks. I SWEAR that paragraph was not there earlier. I'll add it now...

Also - keep in mind that a lot of the Spanish doesn't translate well as written, so some things small things are omitted and sentences are rearranged. Not sure what your level is, so just thought I would make that clear : )
mrchrissanchez
QUOTE(singletrack @ Nov 1 2007, 10:03 PM) [snapback]363094[/snapback]
Thanks. I SWEAR that paragraph was not there earlier. I'll add it now...

Also - keep in mind that a lot of the Spanish doesn't translate well as written, so some things small things are omitted and sentences are rearranged. Not sure what your level is, so just thought I would make that clear : )

I THINK COTTO WILL B VICTORIOUS... EVERYBODY LOOKS AT COTTO AS A VARGAS TYPE BUTT HE IS MUCH SMARTER AND HUNGRIER. ALSO IF THEY TRADE OR GO "TOE 2 TOE" AS MOSLEY STATED COTTO WILL GET THE BEST... IF U LOOK BAKK AT COTTO IN HIS FIGHTS EACH FIGHT HE BECOMES MORE STRONGER AND MORE HUNGRIER FOR SOME REASON
thehype
QUOTE(mrchrissanchez @ Nov 3 2007, 01:11 AM) [snapback]363234[/snapback]
ALSO IF THEY TRADE OR GO "TOE 2 TOE" AS MOSLEY STATED COTTO WILL GET THE BEST... IF U LOOK BAKK AT COTTO IN HIS FIGHTS EACH FIGHT HE BECOMES MORE STRONGER AND MORE HUNGRIER FOR SOME REASON

I think you're right. I think going to war with Cotto is a HUGE mistake for any fighter and if Mosley falls into that trap, he's gonna be in trouble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.