Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some interesting match-ups scheduled
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
Of course we have the ones Saturday and then Mosley/Cotto being the most interesting, but look what else we have.

Carl Froch vs. Robin Reid on Nov. 9th

Mormeck/Haye on the Nov. 10th

Baloyi/St. Clair rematch on Nov. 12th

Guzman/Soto on Nov. 17th

Glen Johnson/Reggie Johnson on the 17th as well. I find this one a bit interesting.

Vargas/Mayorga on the 23rd

Of course Mayweather/Hatton on Dec. 8th

And one that I find interesting on the undercard being Lacy/Manfredo. Intriguing match-up for me.

Duddy/Eastman on the 8th as well. Much better match-up for Duddy than Pavlik. Still don't think Duddy will pass the test though.

AND Paulie Malignaggi vs. Herman Ngoudjo on Jan. 5th. This one is a VERY VERY good match-up.

There are plenty of others in between, but these are the ones that I find pretty interesting.

We have the rematch of Pavlik/Taylor and the rubbermatch of Vasquez and Marquez early next year as well.
STANGMOZ
LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NickBarker
This is the start of a great three weeks of boxing.
Lil-lightsout
Guzman-Soto. Guzman in an awesome fight!
G. Johson-R. Johnson. Reggie is still fighting! Glenn is too much for him.
Vargas- Mayorga. I have no clue how this train wreck ends up. 50/50.
Mayweather-Hatton. Brutal beatdown!
Lacy-Manfredo. Jeff will destroy Peter in an early brutal KO! Go Left-Hook!
kidbazooka1
I'll add Trinidad vs Jones to the list aswell I think that fight will suprise many.
caneman
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 3 2007, 03:05 AM) [snapback]363254[/snapback]
I'll add Trinidad vs Jones to the list aswell I think that fight will suprise many.

in what way? tito either gets lucky & lands a big bomb or he gets out boxed for 10 rounds the way i see it!!! aggressive.gif
BrutalBodyShots
I think Jones may get his first stoppage in 5 years when he faces Trinidad. Horrible style for Trinidad to deal with even in his prime, much less WAY past his prime, WAY above the weight he should be fighting at and WAY rusty/inactive. While Jones hasn't been incredibly active at least he's been fighting. He's gotten 36 rounds in during the time Trinidad has been out of the ring.

I think Jones will land essentially at will against Trinidad and it will just be a question of whether or not he dishes out enough damage to have Tito's pops step through the ropes again and hug his son. I'm 50/50 on whether or not Jones gets a stoppage.

Southeastpaw
G. Johson-R. Johnson. Reggie is still fighting! Glenn is too much for him.

Not so sure about that. The big question is Reggie's inactivity. But what makes you think that Glen would be too much for him. His inactivity? That is really it. In Reggie's most recent fights, which still are not that recent, lol, he lost that decision to Jones and lost a SD to Tarver. If Reggie is in shape, he could definitely win. This is what makes this fight interesting to me.
NickBarker
The Trinidad/Jones card will probably have an undercard full of guys who are guilty pleasures for me. For instance, there's a chance Andrew Golota will fight Mike Mollo and that Cory Spinks will be in there with someone. Beyond that, King might wise up and give the opening slot to his best prospect, Devon Alexander.

Much like the Vargas/Mayorga fight, this one may be worth the buy just for the entertainment value, rather than the significance of the fight.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Nov 3 2007, 10:40 AM) [snapback]363282[/snapback]
Not so sure about that. The big question is Reggie's inactivity. But what makes you think that Glen would be too much for him. His inactivity? That is really it. In Reggie's most recent fights, which still are not that recent, lol, he lost that decision to Jones and lost a SD to Tarver. If Reggie is in shape, he could definitely win. This is what makes this fight interesting to me.

The inactivity is HUGE. Reggie's last fight was in Aug. 2005, and before that was way back in Jan. of 2002 in that SD loss to Tarver. Where Glenn Johnson has always been pretty active fighting TOP fighters for years and doing damn good in the process. And with his loss to Jones back in June of 1999, Reggie lost 120-106 on all three cards, and that was 8 YEARS ago! I remember watching Reggie fight in the early and mid 90's while he was a great fighter. Seeing him drop Toney and losing a close decision to James, and dominating Lamar Parks who was supposed to beat Reggie, but that Reggie is far gone. There are too many question marks coming into this fight for Reggie to even give him a chance, but if he somehow can win, I would call it a HUGE upset. And even if Reggie is in good shape, we do not know what he has left. I think a couple of lesser fights to shake off the ring rust would have been better for Reggie.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(caneman @ Nov 3 2007, 07:32 AM) [snapback]363272[/snapback]
in what way? tito either gets lucky & lands a big bomb or he gets out boxed for 10 rounds the way i see it!!! aggressive.gif

It will suprise many by how competitive the fight might turn out sh*t if Duddy/Eastman, Malgnaggi/Ndoughu were added to the list of interesting upcoming fights Trinidad/Jones towers over those horrible matches.

I agree Tito needs a big bomb to take this fight but can Jones keep Tito off of him the way Winky did? I don't think he can keep that pace for what i would imagine would be a 12 rd fight. I see Jones having his moments and Tito having his Jones is just not what he use to be therefor giving Tito a big chance at taking this.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Nov 3 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]363300[/snapback]
The inactivity is HUGE. Reggie's last fight was in Aug. 2005, and before that was way back in Jan. of 2002 in that SD loss to Tarver. Where Glenn Johnson has always been pretty active fighting TOP fighters for years and doing damn good in the process. And with his loss to Jones back in June of 1999, Reggie lost 120-106 on all three cards, and that was 8 YEARS ago! I remember watching Reggie fight in the early and mid 90's while he was a great fighter. Seeing him drop Toney and losing a close decision to James, and dominating Lamar Parks who was supposed to beat Reggie, but that Reggie is far gone. There are too many question marks coming into this fight for Reggie to even give him a chance, but if he somehow can win, I would call it a HUGE upset. And even if Reggie is in good shape, we do not know what he has left. I think a couple of lesser fights to shake off the ring rust would have been better for Reggie.

Now I am not saying that Reggie would win. I am saying this match-up interests me. It interests me in seeing what shape Reggie comes in at and if he is in good shape, I can see it being competitive. I am just commenting on your "too much for him" comment. This may be true, but what have you seen from Reggie that would make you say that. Don't bring up the Jones fight.(for obvious reasons). But we really do not know what type of shape Reggie will come in at. If he has lost it and is entirely too rusty, so be it. But if he isn't, the styles make for an interesting fight, that is all.
Southeastpaw
Southeastpaw
It will suprise many by how competitive the fight might turn out sh*t if Duddy/Eastman, Malgnaggi/Ndoughu were added to the list of interesting upcoming fights Trinidad/Jones towers over those horrible matches.

I am much more interested in those two matches over Tito/Jones. Tito and Jones are both shells of their former selves. Jones lacks confidence and has fell out of his prime far and fast and Tito is fighting entirely at too high a weight and has been dominated twice by smaller guys than Jones with skill. This fight would have interested me 6-7 years ago, but now, even the thought depresses me.

Duddy will be facing a real test in Eastman, very interested in this, and it means something in the world of boxing. And Mags/Ndougho is an awesome match-up for me. Both fighters on the rise, both highly skilled and may not have even reached their prime yet. Also a fight that has significance in the sport today. Tito/Jones has little to no significance in boxing and is a match made up for entertainment and money purposes only.
BigG
I'm still hyped up for Jones-Trinidad.

These two are HOFers...and i watched them alot growing up.

And I wont lie...I still LOVE watching Roy fight and I still think he can beat a few top fighters.
NickBarker
G, I'd imagine that should Jones look good in dispatching Trinidad, he'll be right back in the talks of all the relevant parties at 175.
BrutalBodyShots
I can picture Jones stopping Trinidad mid-fight, and afterwards looking into the cameras saying "pound for pound baby" just like he used to. That shit will make me sick.

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 4 2007, 12:11 PM) [snapback]363617[/snapback]
I can picture Jones stopping Trinidad mid-fight, and afterwards looking into the cameras saying "pound for pound baby" just like he used to. That shit will make me sick.

That will be fine as long as Jones precedes it with "Used to be...."
BrutalBodyShots
Merchant: "congratulations...... Roy...... why were you able to do... what you did... in the fight?"

Jones: "Pound for pound baby. Pensacola in the house. You know Larry, Roy Jones aint never left - Roy Jones just needed a guy like Trinidad to get up for a fight."

Maxy
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 4 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]363654[/snapback]
Merchant: "congratulations...... Roy...... why were you able to do... what you did... in the fight?"

Jones: "Pound for pound baby. Pensacola in the house. You know Larry, Roy Jones aint never left - Roy Jones just needed a guy like Trinidad to get up for a fight."

laugh.gif

Funny shit.
Southeastpaw
"Reggie Johnson vows to KO Glen Johnson"

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=11086

This fight definitely interests me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.