Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calazghe vs. Kessler: Round By Round/Postfight Discussion
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jack 1000
This thread is for the round by round and post fight reactions to the Calzaghe-Kessler Super Middleweight Championship Superfight!

THE LIVE CALL BEGINS AT 8:00 pm CST on HBO! Spoilers may be below if you plan to watch later!

Jack

Administrator
The Original MrFactor
Wow, Kessler looks just like the cat from the movie, GREAT WHITE HYPE.
The CEO
Finally...huge fight here.
thehype
PREFIGHT
WOW!!! A PACKED house tonight. If only all boxing fights were this crowded. Kessler enters first with a smile on his face. He looks up to the challenge at hand. Calzaghe enters next. The crowd roars with excitement. Calzaghe smiles and waves to the crowd. He looks confident. "And now, for the TENS of thousands in attendance...and the millions watching from around the world...LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEE!"
thehype
ROUND 1
Calzaghe comes out quick and meets Kessler in his corner. Kessler looking to establish the jab. 1-2 lands for Calzaghe who's coming out very aggressive. The difference in handspeed is apparent. Kessler lands a right down the middle. Jab lands for Kessler. Calzaghe looks like he's having a difficult getting inside the reach. Right hand down the middle lands for Kessler again. Kessler staing on the outside and keeping his distance. Left to the body lands for Calzaghe. Kessler lands a right down the middle again. Calzaghe lands a left pstairs. Right to the body lands for Kessler. Close tactical round so far. Calzaghe drops his hands and lands an looping left hand. Right to the body lands for Calzaghe who's starting to get a little loose now. Round to Calzaghe, but an extremely close round that may have gone the other way on a few scorecards.

Calzaghe 10 Kessler 9
The Original MrFactor
I have it 1 to 1. both guys are throwing the ol 1-2. Whoever throws the 3 in the exchanges usually has been connecting and winning the exchanges...
thehype
ROUND 2
Right hand lands for Calzaghe upstairs. 1-2 lands for Calzaghe. Kessler lands a right. They trade jabs. Calzaghe lands a left to the body. Kessler lands a left hook. The ref warns Calzaghe for hitting behind the head. Kessler firing the jab. Calzaghe lands a jab and a left. Another quick 1-2 lands for Calzaghe. BIG right hand lands for Kessler and Calzaghe backs up. Calzaghe lands a right. Kessler lands a right. Calzaghe lands two rights. Kessler lands a right, but then he eats one from Calzaghe to end the round. Another close, tactical round. Kessler landing the more effective punches while Calzaghe being the busier fighter and landing more. Round to Calzaghe.

Calzaghe 20 Kessler 18
The Original MrFactor
Cal gets a little buzzed and turns into a helicopter...
thehype
ROUND 3
Jab lands for Kessler. WOOOOOOO....Calzaghe lands a right and Kessler is down. It was a slip and the ref ruled it as such. Hard right hand lands for Kessler. Calzaghe buries his head and lets his hands go. A lot of those punches being blocked. The action heating up now. Short, chopping right hand lands for Kessler. Right hand lands for Calzaghe. The crowd is chanting extremely loud. Calzaghe lands a left and a right to the body. Kessler misses over the top. BIG left hand lands upstairs for Calzaghe...and another, and another. Kessler lands a right. Calzaghe just drops his hands and keeps comign forward. Three-punch combo lands for Calzaghe. Kessler lands a right to end the round. Round to Calzaghe who's imposing his will, beating Kessler to the punch and landing more punches.

Calzaghe 30 Kessler 27
The Original MrFactor
Cal throws a little caution to the wind an wins the 3rd. Kessler has the look of defeat in his eyes.
The CEO
He always does that "you hit me with a good one so I'm gonna flail like a kid throwing a tantrum to make the judges forget it" thing...

and it works every time...lol
The Original MrFactor
Both guys are suceptible to the uppercut...
thehype
ROUND 4
Calzaghe getting real loose in the ring...dropping his hands and dancing around. Both men trade jabs. WOOOOO...now they trade in the middle of the ring and Kessler gets the better of it. HUGE uppercut lands for Kessler and Calzaghe backs up. Calzaghe content to stay away and fire the jab now. HARD 1-2 lands for Kessler. Jab lands for Kessler. Another BIG uppercut lands for Kessler. Kessler walking Calzaghe down now. Right hand lands for Calzaghe. Kessler going back to that uppercut. Calzaghe is on to it now though as he blocks it and lands a nice combo upstairs. Best round so far for Kessler and he deserves it.

Calzaghe 39 Kessler 37
The Original MrFactor
kessler has a great 4th. its 2 to 2 in my book....
The Original MrFactor
definite difference in punching power. Cal taps, while Kessler thuds...
The Original MrFactor
3 to 2 Calzaghe. 5th was pretty close, but Cal won it in my eyes on activity. Kess, tried to steal it in the closing seconds only to get tied up at the bell.
thehype
ROUND 5
Calzaghe lands a quick jab to start the round. Left hand upstairs lands for Calzaghe. 1-2 from Kessler has Calzaghe shuffling his feet.
Calzaghe firing the jab and keeping his distance. Kessler lands a left hook. Uppercut from Kessler snaps the head back of Calzaghe. They trade jabs. They trade jabs again. Calzaghe lands a looping left hand and holds on. HARD right hand to the body lands for Kessler. Another right hand lands for Kessler. 1-2 lands for Kessler. Calzaghe works his jab again. Jab from Calzaghe rocks Kessler head back. Close round, but again, I gotta give it to the busier Calzaghe who's landing 2 or 3 punches to Kessler's more accurate 1.

Calzaghe 49 Kessler 46
salvador
God I would love to see Kessler - Briggs!

And how about Kellerman. He's killin'!
The Original MrFactor
Manny says that cal hasnt fought anyone with the power of Kessler. i'd argue to say thta Lacy hits as hard as Kessler...
thehype
ROUND 6
Kessler establishing his jab more now. 1-2 followed by a good uppercut lands for Kessler. Calzaghe lands a jab. Left hand lands for Calzaghe. 1-2 lands for Calzaghe...and another jab alnds for Calzaghe. Kessler slowing a lot and missing more. Calzaghe firing the jab and giving a boxing lesson. Left hand lands for Calzaghe. Jab, jab, jab for Calzaghe. Kessler looks confused as he misses with a right hand. 1-2 lands for Calzaghe. Kessler's punches being blocked pretty easily. Right hand lands for Calzghe to end the round. Easy round for Calzaghe as the blood begins to flow from Kessler's nose.

Calzaghe 59 Kessler 55
The Original MrFactor
Cal wins the 6th, breaking the streak of back and forth... Kessler's corner admits to him being behind... Cal is just gonna ptter pat to a UD from here. Just coast and box for 6 more and its in the bag...
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 3 2007, 09:55 PM) [snapback]363386[/snapback]
Cal wins the 6th, breaking the streak of back and forth... Kessler's corner admits to him being behind... Cal is just gonna ptter pat to a UD from here. Just coast and box for 6 more and its in the bag...

if it goes 6. the 7th is awesone for Cal...
The Original MrFactor
Kessler mad the 7th a little closer, but it was a good round for Cal. 5-2 Calzaghe... He just has to continue to box. This will go down as one of his best performances...
thehype
ROUND 7
More jabs from Calzaghe to start the round. 1,2, 3 jabs from Calzaghe and a left hook. Kessler lands a right down the middle. Jab alnds for Kessler. Calzageh lands a great combo. Right and a left from Calzaghe backs Kessler up. WOOOOOO...nice right hand from Kessler knocks Calzaghe back. Calzaghe eats it and fires back. 1-2 lands for Calzaghe. Uppercut lands for Kessler. Nice 1-2 lands for Kessler and Calzaghe covers up. HARD left hook to the body lands for Kessler. Another close round. Calzaghe landed more and did a good job of boxing, but I give it to Kessler for landing the more telling shots.

Calzaghe 68 Kessler 65
The Original MrFactor
Kessler is throwing 1 huge puncha at a time...if he lands...
thehype
ROUND 8
Calzaghe tripling up with his jab. Kessler lands a left hook. Calzaghe lands a left hook to the body. Kessler lands a straight right down the middle. Nice left hook lands for Kessler who's pressing the action and throwing bombs. Calzaghe lands a 1-2. Left hook lands for Kessler, but Calzaghe eats it and presses forward. Calzaghe lands two right hooks to the body. 1-2 lands for Kessler. NICE four punch combo lands for Calzaghe and Kessler covers up. The body shot may have hurt him. Kessler lands a left hook. Calzaghe alnds an upperctu and a hook to the body. GREAT action in that round. Round to Kessler, but again, very close.

Calzaghe 77 Kessler 75
The Original MrFactor
Kessler's weakness is to the body. Calzaghe almost dropped him with a body barrage. 8th was very close... I'll give it to Kess because of early work. 5-3 Cal...
The Original MrFactor
Kessler's weakness is to the body. Calzaghe almost dropped him with a body barrage. 8th was very close... I'll give it to Kess because of early work. 5-3 Cal...
thehype
ROUND 9
1-2 lands for Calzaghe. Left hook to the body lands for Calzaghe. Right hand lands for Kessler and Calzaghe backs up. 1-2 lands for Kessler. Another nice combo lands for Calzaghe. Kessler misses with a righ thand that could have ended. Nice left hook lands for Kessler. Calzaghe lands a nice left of his own. Kessler lands a jab. Three punch combo to the body lands for Calzaghe. Calzaghe lands an uppercut. Four-punch combo lands for Calzaghe. Left hook lands for Calzaghe. Calzaghe landing a lot now. Round to Calzaghe.

Calzaghe 87 Kessler 84
salvador
HBO Boxing really is, without a doubt, the best broadcast in all of sports.
The Original MrFactor
Cal wins the 9th. 6-3 Cal. Cal just boxed in teh 9th...
thehype
ROUND 10
Calzaghe going upstairs and downstairs with the jab. Left hook lands for Kessler, but Calzaghe takes it fine. They trade jabs. 1-2 lands for Calzaghe. Kessler lands a right. Right hook lands for Calzaghe. They trade in the center. Kessler lands a 1-2. Calzaghe lands a right to the body. Right hand upstairs lands for Kessler. Left hook lands for Kessler. Calzaghe lands a left of his own. 1-2 lands for Calzaghe. Five punch combo lands for Calzaghe. HARD left hand rakes Kessler across the face. Round to Calzaghe.

Calzaghe 97 Kessler 93
The Original MrFactor
Cal wins the 10th. Just boxes and Kes doesnt do enuff.
The Original MrFactor
Kessler's left eye will be closed by the end...
thehype
ROUND 11
Kessler's corner tells him he's got to knock him out. 1-2 to the body lands for Calzaghe to start the round. Kessler looks tired. Calzaghe stays active...firing the jab and working the body. Calzaghe lands two jabs and an uppercut. Left hook lands for Calzaghe. Right hand lands for Kessler. Calzaghe lands his own right followed by a left. Calzaghe with his hands down and dancing around the ring making it look easy. Right hook lands for Calzaghe. Another right hand lands for Calzaghe. Kessler lands a 1-2. Right hook o th ebody followed by a left lands for Calzaghe. Rigt hand upstairs followed by a left to the body lands for Calzaghe. Easy work for Joe Cool.

Calzaghe 107 Kessler 102
The Original MrFactor
11thh goes to Cal. 8 to 3 Cal. He's like the energizer bunny... he keeps going and going and going... Kes needs a KO.
The Original MrFactor
Kevin Rooney used to say to Tyson, BE first Mike!!" Calzaghe is always 1st, thats how he's beating the crap outta this guy...
The CEO
Kessler wasn't ready, was he..
The Original MrFactor
Why has no one said anything about Kessler's glove wraps??
The Original MrFactor
Gave Kes the 12th. Cal wins again on my card 8-4...
thehype
ROUND 12
The crowd is on it's feet to start the round. Calzaghe stuffs two jabs in Kessler's face. Left hand lands for Kessler. Calzaghe continues to land the jab and come forward behind his combinations. Left hook lands for Calzaghe. HARD right hook to the body lands for Kessler. Kessler just throwing bombs looking for the knockout. HARD uppercut lands for Kessler, but Calzaghe eats it and fires back. Left hand upstairs lands for Calzaghe followed by a right hook to the body. Kessler lands a right. NASTY left hook to the body lands f or Kessler, but Calzaghe takes it and fires back again. Right hand lands for Kessler. Calzaghe lands one of his own. Kessler lands a right to end the round. Good round for Kessler, but just not enough to win the fight.

Calzaghe 116 Kessler 112
thehype
Massimo Barrovecchio 116-112
Raul Caiz Jr. 117-111
John Stewart 116-112

The winner by unanimous decision....THE UNDISPUTED SUPER MIDDLWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD.....JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE CALZAGHE
thehype
Compubox numbers:

Calzaghe total punches: 285/1010
Kessler total punches: 173/585

Calzaghe total jabs: 137/550
Kessler total jabs: 52/326

Calzaghe total power punches: 148/460
Kessler total power punches: 121/259
The CEO
Sounds like this win was good enough to propel Joe a few spots P4P and crack the Top 100 ATGs...

Thanks for the RBR, bro...

thumbsup_anim.gif as always.
Blayde
I had it 116-114 Calzaghe.

Man, Dawson, Abraham, Hopkins, Bute, Pavlik, one of these guys next against Calzaghe would be great!

Good 5 fighters HBO collected right there.
thehype
POSTFIGHT

Kessler says Calzaghe was difficult. He says he was hurt to the body with the right hand that Calzaghe landed in the eighth round. "I hope I can get a rematch," stated an honest Kessler who says he'll change his tactics if they meet again.
gods son
Joe was too much..

Mikkel is awsome but didnt capitalise as much!
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(thehype @ Nov 3 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]363411[/snapback]
POSTFIGHT

Kessler says Calzaghe was difficult. He says he was hurt to the body with the right hand that Calzaghe landed in the eighth round. "I hope I can get a rematch," stated an honest Kessler who says he'll change his tactics if they meet again.

At least he's honest. Alot of guys woulda said, Nah man, i was never hurt. in fact i think I won the fight... Kessler was a great loser. Kellerman doesnt need to do postfight interviews. He's too provacative...
thehype
MORE POSTFIGHT

Calzaghe says Kessler was a great opponent. "I got a little careless in there, but that's what makes me an exciting fighter," stated Calzaghe. He says he got caught with some good shots but he felt he controlled the fight. "Believe me, he felt some of my slaps," Calzaghe joked. "I've never been a fighter to hold, I've never been a fighter to run...I give it my all, I give it 110% in the ring...that's who I am," he continued. Regarding a fight with Bernard Hopkins, Calzaghe stated, "he was lucky against Winky Wright...I'll be a totally different fighter with the seven extra pounds," he proclaimed as he made it clear that he's hoping to face Hopkins next. 50,150 fans were officially in attendance.
thehype
I'll be the first to officially say it....

Calzaghe beats Hopkins by unanimous decision.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.