Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Max Kellerman: Why the hate?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Byrd Man
I've wondered this for awhile but never actually posted anywhere about it. Why the hatred towards Max Kellerman? I've enjoyed watching/listening to Kellerman since I first saw him on Around the Horn (a show that I appear to be the only one who actually LIKES), and I've always thought he comes across as a very genuine, very good person.

As far as I can tell, he's fairly knowledgeable about Boxing, and sports in general. Plus he's a hip hop fan. That gets bonus points. lol

But all I see on various boxing boards are people totally TRASHING this dude talking shit about how they don't like him, he's garbage, he's this, he's that.

What's the deal? I like him, and I think he's a nice asset to an analyst team. Does he have bad nights? Sure, everyone does. Does he screw up? Yeah, but who doesn't?

I wish someone could explain why this person, who by everything I've ever seen, seems to be one of the few real people in broadcasting that I enjoy (along with Joe Buck and Bob Costas -- who others seem to hate as well) and that don't come off like they're just going through the motions, and actually cares about what they are talking about.

Maybe it's his hyper "talk talk talk talk talk" personality that turns people away?

I dunno. But This ONE thing I know is true....Kellerman's the man.
pastor method
max kellerman kicks ass.

the guy's smart and knows his stuff. he's not an ass-kisser either, which makes him a great replacement for larry merchant.

BigG
Max is alright in my book. He knows the fight game well.
kidbazooka1
Because he can be ultra biased agianst some fighters.
Byrd Man
And no other announcer has been? that just basically makes him on par with every other broadcaster just about in that area.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 4 2007, 03:26 AM) [snapback]363533[/snapback]
And no other announcer has been? that just basically makes him on par with every other broadcaster just about in that area.

True but Max just takes it to another level.
Jack 1000
He's improved since ESPN and toned down the screaming which he learned from Teddy Atlas, a man far too conceited for my tastes. Max is too biased toward certain boxers and often when choosing between a great boxer vs. a great brawler, he will ALWAYS go for the boxer, no matter how good that brawler was or is.

The second is that he is preaching too much about RING Magazine and his OPINIONS trying to masquerade them as facts. Boxing is an international sport. While there is still inherent corruption among the alphabet federations many of the smaller fighters who don't have household names or flamboyant promoters need those belts for recognition. Ring hasn't been the same since the mid 70's and even had its own corruption when King was bribing the writers to get his ABC Tournament fighters ranked in the mid 70's for ABC's boxing series. It got so bad, that ABC pulled the plug midway through the season. Ring giving their heavyweight title belt to Vitali Klitschko off of a losing effort to Lewis and beating a part-time golf player in Corrie Sanders was the last straw for me. Yet, Max Kellerman still puts that magazine on some sort of holy shrine, as if he believes it is to be worshiped.

Both Joe Calzaghe and Mikkal Kessler were world champions tonight, but Max has to vent his OPINION on who is and is not a champion. He NEVER seems to dispute anything that Ring does. and only got into boxing because of family connections (father or Uncle, I can't recall as I write this) to Bill Cayton's library. That's how he got his radio show and his gig at ESPN2, dumping the more qualified Al Bernstein, who had been with the network for years. HBO trying to replace Larry Merchant with Max Kellerman even in small doses just doesn't work. Max may be a good fan of boxing. But he doesn't have the experience or factual knowledge to be successful in this business. He tries to substitute his opinions for factual knowledge and people are left with the taste of margarine when they want butter.

I don't think Max is hated. I just think he is using his opinions too much as a way to try to be more liked, and in my eyes, it's not working very well.

Jack
Col Reb
Because he's not Larry Merchant and never will be.
Thegreatequalizer
i actually liked max back in the espn analyst days. but his pumped up enthusiasm really gets to me and i really can't stand listening to him for a whole fight. he tries to over sell his opinion. he just seems like the epitome of twerp. he does know a lot about boxing though.
Byrd Man
some people would say him not being Larry Merchant is a good thing. lol

I get what you say about the opinions and biased attitudes and whatnot.

I think he gets paid to call fights and give his opinion, which is what he does. However when opinions clash that can cause problems, I realize.
Diane
Max always seems like he is trying too hard, and it comes off as annoying to me. Compare how he talks during fights, and when he talks on one of the "Countdown To" shows, it's totally different. During the fights he shouts, and during the CountdownTo shows he talks normally, if he would talk normally during the fights, he wouldn't be so damn annoying.

Plus as others have said, he can be overly biased, and he can say some of the dumbest shit. During the Calzaghe/Kessler fight he made this great observation, "We a superfight in this superfight"? Well duh?
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 4 2007, 03:18 AM) [snapback]363542[/snapback]

I think he gets paid to call fights and give his opinion, which is what he does. However when opinions clash that can cause problems, I realize.

Good points .... to me LM gets annoying after about 2min. of rap. He's knowledgable, but not the burning bush and many cases his opinions overshadow reality and fact. Which brings me to MK.

I like MK as an announcer and replacement for LM. But, he does have the habit of representing his opinions as facts from an authoratative source. And there in lies the problem. He should start working on key words that identify whatever he's saying as opinion or fact.

In any case, I do agree with what was previously stated. Both LM & MK embelish fact with opinion. But, then again how many announcers don't. It becomes a matter of dosage, and both LM & MK give you a heavy dose of opinion.
BrutalBodyShots
Byrd Man maybe you like Kellerman so much because he's always been a big Byrd fan like yourself and has always picked him in big fights? j/k

Great post by Jack above. Kellerman has some great qualitites but he does commentate in a biased fashion. I have to admit that he's gotten much better as the years have gone on, but he still does it more than he should.

Byrd Man
I don't have cable so i can't watch the HBO fights. I didn't know Kellerman was a Byrd fan.

Now that's even more reason everyone should like him. lol
Byrd Man
double post...please delete
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 4 2007, 01:17 PM) [snapback]363629[/snapback]
I don't have cable so i can't watch the HBO fights. I didn't know Kellerman was a Byrd fan.

I would go crazy if I did not have HBO or SHOWTIME!!! You need to get cable, thats where you see the REAL fighters fight, not pretenders like Byrd! Just kidding.
MarzB
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 4 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]363629[/snapback]

wow, I remember for a couple of years I didnt' have HBO and talk about missing out on the fight game. You're definitely at a loss. Regarding the point about boxers over punchers, thats funny coming from here where I'd think most of the posters have an above average knowledge of boxing.

That said, "so what he has that bias", as it was mentioned everyone harbors their own biases and it's extremely prevalent at times(often whatever bandwagon is popular at the time) on here including yours truly. A lot of fans generally don't like boxers and thats their right but to hold that against someone is crazy.

I think personally the reason a lot of people don't like Max is because he's young and has a lot of knowledge of the sport and they resent the position his in to describe that. They'll never admit it but thats how I see it..

He's fair for the most part and thats what I like about him, He and Al Bernstein would make a GREAT team. Neither one of them are cheer leaders DURING fights, they don't throw sarcastic, disparaging remarks towards fighters. So again, why the hatred??

I didn't care too much for his "Round the Horn" show but overall he's cool with me..

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 4 2007, 02:08 AM) [snapback]363530[/snapback]
Because he can be ultra biased agianst some fighters.

Max fancies the technical fighters whereas Merchant fancies the brawler, dramatic type of fighters.

I like Max and think he is one of the best commentators/analysts in the sport today.
BrutalBodyShots
Max will only get better with time. He's a lot younger than most of his peers and in a short time since ESPN he's already improved dramatically. I think a 40-60 year old Kellerman will be extremely solid.

Jack 1000
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 4 2007, 02:18 AM) [snapback]363542[/snapback]

Good points Byrd Man,

HBO has in fact always shown bias to the fighter that they have under contract trying to build up a star that often wasn't going to be. Many might recall the Lou Dibella days of Boxing After Dark when BAD produced some of the greatest matches in boxing. BUT, ever since Kery Davis, HBO has been going more for the business element of boxing. However, they have since getting back to what they used to be with airings of Calzaghe-Kessler, Cotto-Mosley (although PPV) and Mayweather-Hatton, (although PPV.) Showtime, after they got off the Tyson bandwagon bias was doing some great fights. But I'm not exactly thrilled about their cozy relationship with Gary Shaw, which has led them to promote minor belts outside of the big 4 as world title fights. That's not far to the boxing community, nor to its fans.

Jack
Col Reb
Lampley and Merchant are the best announcing duo of all time, in my opinion. Max just does not blend well with Jim.
Col Reb
I would love to see HBO add Teddy Atlas to the team of Lampley and Merchant. That would be an awesome trio!

Concerning Max, I think he's good, but he just can't replace Larry Legend.
Thegreatequalizer
i don't think anyone is really jealous of max. if he was a good commentator i don't think anyone would be complaining. he might even agree that he isn't a good commentator. he said he didn't really feel comfortable when he was doing wednesday night fights.

my main problem is that his commentating is annoying. like i said, i liked him when he was talking about boxing news and analyzing upcoming fights. but when he's trying to "sell" a fight or an idea it comes across as really annoying and fake.

i also didn't like the fact that he left espn because he wanted a huge raise and said something to the effect that he was one of the most important figures in boxing because he made it exciting and he claimed that espn boxing ratings were so high because of him. he thinks he's the floyd mayweather of boxing analysts. give me a break.

he should stick to rapping. haha.
singletrack
Max Kellerman simply annoys the shit out of me when he speaks. His delivery is so annoying that it is often hard to even focus on what he's saying. He knows a lot about the history of boxing, but his ability to analyze boxing and boxing fights real-time is pretty suspect IMO.
JD
Every time my girl sees him, she gets irritated...she constantly says that he looks like a Fraggle.
singletrack
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 5 2007, 12:10 PM) [snapback]363826[/snapback]
Every time my girl sees him, she gets irritated...she constantly says that he looks like a Fraggle.

LOL - same with my wife....minus the fraggle comment, which is hilarious.
Byrd Man
Don't be dissing the Fraggles! lol

I actually found a site that streams his show. I'm on the west coast right now, so the show comes on at 7am but when I move back east, I'll be able to listen to it at 10
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.