Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cotto vs Doucet
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
Hey guys, I went to watch Jesus Chavez vs Tom Johnson on ESPN Classic and to my surprise they showed the entire card from Austix, TX that night from 2/23/2001.

On the two undercard fights there was Cory Spinks knocking out (yes, as rare as that may be) Dennis Allen and Miguel Cotto's pro debut against Jason Doucet.

I suggest to any of you that have not seen these fights to catch it or record it if you have DVR. All 3 fights ended by stoppage and were entertaining.

I have to say that I was VERY impressed with Cotto's first pro fight. Basically the first effective punch of Cotto's pro career was a left hook to the body which came maybe 20 seconds into the fight. Cotto showed a good jab, movement and an excellent display of punching both upstairs and downstairs. Also when he hurt Doucet, which he did a few times before stopping him, he did not get over anxious or reckless at all; Cotto took his time and broke his man down. Good stuff from a kid making his pro debut.
BigG
Yeah I have that fight....cotto brutalized him.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 4 2007, 10:12 PM) [snapback]363752[/snapback]
Hey guys, I went to watch Jesus Chavez vs Tom Johnson on ESPN Classic and to my surprise they showed the entire card from Austix, TX that night from 2/23/2001.

On the two undercard fights there was Cory Spinks knocking out (yes, as rare as that may be) Dennis Allen and Miguel Cotto's pro debut against Jason Doucet.

I suggest to any of you that have not seen these fights to catch it or record it if you have DVR. All 3 fights ended by stoppage and were entertaining.

I have to say that I was VERY impressed with Cotto's first pro fight. Basically the first effective punch of Cotto's pro career was a left hook to the body which came maybe 20 seconds into the fight. Cotto showed a good jab, movement and an excellent display of punching both upstairs and downstairs. Also when he hurt Doucet, which he did a few times before stopping him, he did not get over anxious or reckless at all; Cotto took his time and broke his man down. Good stuff from a kid making his pro debut.

I will have to check that fight out.

I like a fighter that does not get overanxious to get someone outta there once they have their opponent in trouble. It shows discipline. I remember when Cotto first came onto the scene people were sayingg that Cotto was more polished that Tito, but he did not have the killer instinct that Tito did. What a false statement that is. Cotto is just more measured.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.