Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who here saw this interview LIVE?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
I'll bet this was a great build up. I was only about 10 or 11 when this interview took place, so I was not even really introduced to the sport yet. But I'll bet it was a great time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XN1fMVq8LGw

I love the at the end of the clip, "It'll be your last dream." LOL
BigG
This was way before I was even born.

Classic. Two legends.

If Tommy was around today, he would flat out DOMINATE Welterweight/Jnr.Middleweight divisions.

Your boy Williams would probably be on the floor by round 3 South.

Southeastpaw
Damn biggie!! Why you gotta go there for? lol

STEVENSKI
Hagler was a bad MOFO.
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 7 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]363992[/snapback]
This was way before I was even born.

Classic. Two legends.

If Tommy was around today, he would flat out DOMINATE Welterweight/Jnr.Middleweight divisions.

Your boy Williams would probably be on the floor by round 3 South.

Just imagine what Tommy would do to Zab.

One of my favourite shots is still the right that Hearns landed on Duran. That was ugly.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 7 2007, 06:35 AM) [snapback]364013[/snapback]
Just imagine what Tommy would do to Zab.

Nasty comments make George cry. Don't be mean to G Fitz.

That being said Zab would not be doing any dancing after getting cracked by TH. He would not be doing much of anything come to think of it.
BigG
laugh.gif..

I'm just stating that Hearns would have destoryed everyone from Margarito to Williams to Floyd....

Zab would get knocked the hell out by Tommy.

I hink Hearns might've killed Kostya Tszyu as well.
The Original MrFactor
Wow, how old are some of you guys?!?! Better yet6, how young are some of you guys??
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 7 2007, 06:43 PM) [snapback]364026[/snapback]
I hink Hearns might've killed Kostya Tszyu as well.

Nope, that's what he would have done against Judah. He just would have knocked Tszyu out and he would be out on his feet only. laugh.gif

Fitz
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 7 2007, 06:49 PM) [snapback]364028[/snapback]
Wow, how old are some of you guys?!?! Better yet6, how young are some of you guys??

I'm fairly young, only 23. So this was well before my time.
Snoop
LOL. This thread has just turned into Hearns killing so-and-so's favorite modern-day welterweight.
Fitz
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 7 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]364033[/snapback]
LOL. This thread has just turned into Hearns killing so-and-so's favorite modern-day welterweight.

So.............who is your favorite welter? lol.
STEVENSKI
That shot Hearns landed to put Duran away reminded me of Apollo getting killed in Rocky 4. You just gotta see it in slow motion & all that is missing is Tony's sweating dome screaming "dro da dam dowel".
BigG
I was born in 1989. This happened around 84 or 85? Somewhere there.
caneman
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 7 2007, 02:49 AM) [snapback]364028[/snapback]

it's funny how old i am compared to some here. big george was born in 1989, whew, i hitch hiked around the country for a year & 1/2 in 1979, i was 17 years old @ the time! ok i will shut my old ass up! lol!

i sure remember that day & was so dam excited thinking about the match up! i knew it was going the be a war & i don't remember 3 better rounds in boxing history! http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHSHd1xfpY i always wanted to see what hopkins would do against either guy prime vs prime. i don't think hearns legs/chin would have held up but OMG hagler vs hopkins would have been a total war!
hearns vs duran was sick...hands of stone got dropped like a sack of rocks http://youtube.com/watch?v=sraf1P2oiBY
WolfishPromistah
I don't recall seeing this one live, and that's why I love YouTube because of easy access to a number of classic things as such. It was quite interesting to see the animosity showing through between the two fighters, as history says they really did not like each other at the time. Hagler is even quoted to have stated to the effect Hearns was the only man he'd ever felt that wanted to breakdown to almost, if not kill. This is funny to think of today, for me, when I consider that he and Hearns have patched things up and are cool now. There is the understanding between them that the volatility was just for the game, which they share the common feelings on today as friends. But I get the impression Marvin finds Ray Leonard a bit of a turn off, still, especially at a personal level. This might be partially 'cause Ray was so often the image of America's good-guy representative in the sport, while others were likened to villians and Ray can sometimes seem to leave folks feeling he's a tad...fake.

Anyway, I always lean with Hopkins against Hearns overall (all depends on whether Tommy manages to get some hail-mary great shots in or not). I think he'd have to land more than once with a great shot, which is not easy to do. If he didn't, that would increase the chances he wilts later in the fight; for, as we know clearly, Tommy was not the stamina king by any means. And do you think Ray went to the body on Tommy? LoL! Boy, this'd probably be murder to the gut of the "Hit-Man" here.

Hagler? His chances "may" increase the longer the fight last, although I have yet to see where X is drained down the line and not coming on strong at the end. Therefore, I don't question the twelve rounder in Hopkins's favor, as I saw what Leonard was able to do with that amount of time. And I happen to feel that Hopkins is just as smart as Ray, if not a little more or less so, with the advantage of height and reach and a more natural middle-weight's pop, plus he too posseses, like Marvin, a hell of a chin he knows the right times to bring in. His versatility just outshines Hagler to me. And with both in prime form, best thing about this one, for my entertainment, is it'd be two DRAGONS battling for territorial domination, so I'd look for guaranteed fireworks, much like with Hearns.
caneman
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Nov 7 2007, 08:24 AM) [snapback]364051[/snapback]
I always lean Hopkins against Hearns overall (all depends on whether Tommy manages to get some hail-mary great shots in or not). I think he'd have to land more than once with a great shot, which is not easy to do. If he didn't, that would increase the chances he wilts later in the fight; for, as we know clearly, Tommy was not the stamina king by any means. And do you think Ray went to the body on Tommy? LoL! Boy, this'd probably be murder to the gut of the "Hit-Man" here.

Hagler? His chances "may" increase the longer the fight last, although I have yet to see where X is drained down the line and not coming on strong at the end. Therefore, I don't question the twelve rounder in Hopkins's favor, as I saw what Leonard was able to do with that amount of time. And I happen to feel that Hopkins is just as smart as Ray, if not a little more or less so, with the advantage of height and reach and a more natural middle-weight's pop, plus he too posseses, like Marvin, a hell of a chin he knows the right times to bring in. His versatility just outshines Hagler to me. And with both in prime form, best thing about this one, for my entertainment, is it'd be two DRAGONS battling for territorial domination, so I'd look for guaranteed fireworks, much like with Hearns.

good post & i agree, i have X over hagler when talking about the greatest MW of all time. with that said, either guy could have competed in any era in boxing history & the reasons that are so simple, chin, heart, ring smarts & true ring metal! this statement might not liked by many here but IMO, the the top 5 MW's of all time goes as follows(i base it on who i think wins heads up prime vs prime!)for the record, IMO X beats hagler cause he gets hit less....there's 2 things i always wanted to ask X>>>>do you think you'd beat hagler head to head & do you feel becoming the P4P king(and money hurt)took away from the way you fought!?!?
harry greb
SRR
BHop
hagler
monzon
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 7 2007, 03:37 AM) [snapback]364031[/snapback]
Nope, that's what he would have done against Judah. He just would have knocked Tszyu out and he would be out on his feet only. laugh.gif

No. Tszyu would have quit on his stool after 5. lolol
BigG
I think Hopkins stops Tommy late.

Hagler-Hopkins would be a war. Could go either way. Although Hopkins chooses to outbox opponents, he can grind it out one the inside, or go to war if he is put in the possition to.

Leonard-Hopkins is also a pick-em because of Leonard's skills and quickness.
Nobudius
Hearns had some of the best stare downs I've seen.

Hagler despises Leonard due to what happened post-Leonard/Hagler. The decision. The rematch that didn't happen. He pulled similar sh!t with Tommy, when he asked for a rematch.

And some of you guys are selling Hagler short- seems like you are only remembering him from the Hearns' bout on.

Hearns/Benitez was another great stare down. lol
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 7 2007, 08:49 AM) [snapback]364036[/snapback]
So.............who is your favorite welter? lol.

I kept trying to think of your favorite welter to put down but someone already mentioned Tszyu. LOL.
gods son
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 7 2007, 05:26 AM) [snapback]364048[/snapback]
I was born in 1989. This happened around 84 or 85? Somewhere there.

DAMN!!!!!

IN 89 i was jerking off to Madonna!!

WolfishPromistah
big 'g,' looking at the bottom pick in your posts, reference this one fo' sho' -- Look on the RIGHT side [Mosely] for the bright side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.