Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2007 FOTY Candidates
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Snoop
This is what I observed what the Mosley/Cotto thread was becoming and I think a topic like this warrants its own thread. So let's discuss. What are everyone's FOTY? What factors do you take into consideration? Action? Drama? Skill? Profile?

Mine, in a negotiable order are:

Marquez/Vazquez II - Combination of skill, action and drama. Couldn't ask for more.

Codrington/Bika - Although I felt both fighters were a little sloppy and it wasn't of much significance, you can't deny the action. Plus the first round had great drama!

Cotto/Judah - Great back and forth action in the beginning rounds, but then just total domination.

Cotto/Mosley - Great action in the beginning as well. Solid effort at a comeback by Mosley, but then just fizzled out towards the end.

Taylor/Pavlik - I don't remember the rounds between the knockdown and knockout being terribly exciting. There was just some great drama in this one.

What else?
Big Slim Sweet
Marquez-Barrera I thought was an excellent fight that for some reason a lot of people slept on.

Pavlik-Miranda was not particularly dramatic, but exciting and violent as hell.

Williams-Margarito was a damn good one too.
X3_Bazooka_X3
I think it will be Vazquez Marquez but Pavlik Taylor wasnt bad either.
BigG
Pavlik-Taylor: Alot of action. Pavlik was nearly out of it in round 2.
Marquez-Barrera: Very competitive, a brilliant fight, and HOF skill invloved.
Cotto-Judah: Cotto gets rocked early then gives Judah a BEATDOWN...but it was entertaining.
Cotto-Mosley: Just a great fight.
Marquez-Vazquez: Great great fight.
kidbazooka1
Overall this was a great year for boxing Pavlik/Taylor, Cotto/Judah, Margarito/Williams and now Cotto/Mosley.

But I still think Vasquez/Marquez should take top honors.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 12 2007, 12:33 AM) [snapback]364800[/snapback]
But I still think Vasquez/Marquez should take top honors.

i'm going to have to agree.

the question is which one? both are candidates. i think maybe the first fight was a little more exciting and might have had more action. but the second fight had a more satisfying ending (someone actually won the fight rather than stopped because of a broken nose). it's a tough call.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Nov 12 2007, 01:44 AM) [snapback]364805[/snapback]
i'm going to have to agree.

the question is which one? both are candidates. i think maybe the first fight was a little more exciting and might have had more action. but the second fight had a more satisfying ending (someone actually won the fight rather than stopped because of a broken nose). it's a tough call.

Oh damn I forgot the 1st fight took place this year, yhea thats gonna be a tough call but i'll have to go with the rematch aswell.
Blayde
1. Marquez vs. Vasquez
-> Just an unbelievable war. So much action, so many bombs, so much drama. There wasnt anything like this this year.

2. Calzaghe vs. Kessler
-> Eventually a clear decision, but the fight was something special. Two P4P fighters, 50000 fans at night in a soccer stadium. And the fight was close for quite some time when Kessler landed great shots.

3. Cotto vs. Judah
pastor method
as fitz said, pavlik-taylor really wasn't anything special. i mean, it was a solid and entertaining fight, but i don't understand why people are so high on it.

joseph agbeko vs luis perez was the same night and was a much better fight. hardly anyone has talked about that fight. there are obvious reasons: small fighters, not big names, plus it was on show time the same night as a mega fight between two bigger, much more well known fighters. but agbeko-perez was absolutely amazing. i haven't seen the bika-codrington bout yet, but perez-agbeko is up there with both marquez-vasquez fights as potential fight of the year, in my opinion.
Snoop
QUOTE(pastor method @ Nov 12 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]364903[/snapback]
as fitz said, pavlik-taylor really wasn't anything special. i mean, it was a solid and entertaining fight, but i don't understand why people are so high on it.

Probably because of the drama, I mean that's really the only reason I had it on my list.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 12 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]364906[/snapback]
Probably because of the drama, I mean that's really the only reason I had it on my list.

And because of its significance.
Bazooka Limon
David Diaz vs. Erik Morales was a good fight
Fitz
I don't even want to think about Morales-Diaz. Morales got fucking robbed. After everything he has done and the fights he has given fans, the judges can give him a left hand slap across the face and give some dodgy decision for a crappy fighter that couldn't even beat a shot Morales.
AussieLad
Katsidis vs Earl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.