Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2007 Fighter of the year candidates
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Big Slim Sweet
With the fight of the year thread just started, I thought I'd bring this one into the discussion as well. Who are the top candidates?

1. Kelly Pavlik - emphatic KO's of both the middleweight champion and universally recognized #1 contender at the time.

2. Miguel Cotto - dominant KO of Judah, and a huge notch on his resume with decision over Mosley.

3. Joe Calzaghe - humiliating Manfredo was pretty meaningless, but the win over Kessler was terrific.

4. Juan Diaz - TKO's of two very good fighters in Freitas and Julio Diaz.

Obviously, Mayweather-Hatton could still play a role in this as well, especially if Hatton somehow pulls it out.

Anyone else worth mentioning here?
Snoop
LOL. I was thinking of starting this same one.

I would say Cotto is a front-runner and so is the winner of Hatton/Mayweather.

I can also see any of the other names you mentioned too, well except Joe Calzaghe, but overall, solid list.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Cotto is pretty much a lock with his wins over Judah and Mosley.

If Mayweather or Hatton were able to blow the other out and either stop them or dominate them they could be mentioned as well. If the fight is close I don't think either can claim to be the best of 2007.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 11 2007, 06:24 PM) [snapback]364729[/snapback]
If Hatton was to somehow beat Mayweather, he may steal it from Cotto. Beating Castillo the way he did and to beat the p4p number 1 fighter would maybe get him over the line.
Mayweather will win the fight though.

Agreed Mayweather will win it... so Hatton really isn't in the running for FOTY IMO, it's more about whether or not Mayweather could stake that claim with a win over Hatton. If it is just a decision win that isn't dominant I say no. If Mayweather brutally beats Hatton and dominates and/or stops him, that coupled with the DLH win could put Mayweather right next to Cotto for fighter of '07.

X3_Bazooka_X3
if Hatton wins this fight with Floyd it will be the biggest upset in the sport since Tyson Douglas
Snoop
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Nov 12 2007, 12:43 AM) [snapback]364746[/snapback]
if Hatton wins this fight with Floyd it will be the biggest upset in the sport since Tyson Douglas

I can't wait to hear the responses to this one...
mrchrissanchez
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 11 2007, 08:44 PM) [snapback]364748[/snapback]
I can't wait to hear the responses to this one...

I WOULD SAY MAYWEATHER BUT HE BEAT AN OVER THE HILL DE LA HOYA, ALSO WHO IS BALDOMIR? IN SKILLS FLOYD IS FAR MORE SUPERIOR THAN HIM, NONE BY KO OR WARRIOR FASHION. COTTO OR PAVLIK DESERVE THAT TITTLE... COTTTO POUNDED JUDAH TO A TKO... PAVLIK TKO' ED TAYLOR AND KNOCKED OUT MIRANDA... A VICIOUS PUNCHER. ALSO THOSE TWO MEN WON WITH AN EXCLAMATION POINT. NOW WITH COTTOS WIN OVER SSM... A SEASONED VETERAN IT WOULD SEEM FOR THIS TITTLE TO FAVOR HIM
adambomb
QUOTE(mrchrissanchez @ Nov 11 2007, 09:05 PM) [snapback]364751[/snapback]
I WOULD SAY MAYWEATHER BUT HE BEAT AN OVER THE HILL DE LA HOYA, ALSO WHO IS BALDOMIR? IN SKILLS FLOYD IS FAR MORE SUPERIOR THAN HIM, NONE BY KO OR WARRIOR FASHION. COTTO OR PAVLIK DESERVE THAT TITTLE... COTTTO POUNDED JUDAH TO A TKO... PAVLIK TKO' ED TAYLOR AND KNOCKED OUT MIRANDA... A VICIOUS PUNCHER. ALSO THOSE TWO MEN WON WITH AN EXCLAMATION POINT. NOW WITH COTTOS WIN OVER SSM... A SEASONED VETERAN IT WOULD SEEM FOR THIS TITTLE TO FAVOR HIM

I think Pavlik based on the fact that he won by Ko and captured the middleweight championship of the world from the man that winky wright and hopkins could not defeat.
cotto is great but the mosley fight was very close.
mrchrissanchez
QUOTE(adambomb @ Nov 11 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]364757[/snapback]
I think Pavlik based on the fact that he won by Ko and captured the middleweight championship of the world from the man that winky wright and hopkins could not defeat.

U R RIGHT ADAM... BUTT WITH COTTO HE OVERCAME ADVERSITY AND WAS DOUBTED MORE THAN ANY CURRENT WORLD CHAMPION
STEVENSKI

Yes indeed rolleyes_anim.gif . Would you like some meth to go with your crack?

It would be a upset but this is a 70-30 75-25 split type of fight not a 99.9999 -0.0001 fight.
Snoop

I believe the odds for Tyson/Douglas were 52-1. Mayweather/Hatton will come nowhere near that.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Nov 11 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]364746[/snapback]

Actually no, he won't... unless you are suggesting that there has been nothing in between a 42-1 and a 2-1 underdog in the last 17 years.

BrutalBodyShots
Mayweather did not fight Baldomir this year, so that fight has no bearing on Mayweather being #1 in 2007.

Lil-lightsout
IMO it definately is Cotto. He deserves it for the quality of his opponents. Was the Quintana victory this year also?
BigG
The Quinana win was last year.

I wanna give it to Cotto but the winner of Hatton-Mayweather should get it.

But if the fight doesn't have a CLEAR CUT winner then I'll give it to Cotto.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 11 2007, 11:39 PM) [snapback]364790[/snapback]
The Quinana win was last year.

I wanna give it to Cotto but the winner of Hatton-Mayweather should get it.

But if the fight doesn't have a CLEAR CUT winner then I'll give it to Cotto.

I agree.Pavlik should be right behind Cotto,and the Mayweather-Hatton winner(if the winner wins convincingly)
kidbazooka1
I agree with most Cotto should be a lock for FOTY.
Thegreatequalizer
mosley-cotto was close and he ran away in parts of the fight. cotto-judah was won on some combinations to the nuts. that kind of fighting doesn't win foty for me. pavlik came to win and won his fights decisively without the use of blatant fouls, and against two guys with only one loss between them.

pavlik = fighter of the year
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Nov 12 2007, 01:33 AM) [snapback]364801[/snapback]
mosley-cotto was close and he ran away in parts of the fight. cotto-judah was won on some combinations to the nuts. that kind of fighting doesn't win foty for me. pavlik came to win and won his fights decisively without the use of blatant fouls, and against two guys with only one loss between them.

pavlik = fighter of the year

Pavlik beat a Miranda who is a Mayorga clone and Taylor who lost to the smaller Cory spinks and was almost KO'ed himself that does not sound like a FOTY to me.

Cotto stoped Judah and gave him the worst beating of his career and beat in Mosley a future HOF and a guy who many favored to win.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 12 2007, 12:38 AM) [snapback]364803[/snapback]
Pavlik beat a Miranda who is a Mayorga clone and Taylor who lost to the smaller Cory spinks and was almost KO'ed himself that does not sound like a FOTY to me.

Cotto stoped Judah and gave him the worst beating of his career and beat in Mosley a future HOF and a guy who many favored to win.

i think we just judge fighter of the year on different criteria. this is all on a championship level.

granted, i've seen taylor lose several fights, but get the decision. i think it's to pavlik's credit that he ko'd him (finally!)
and judah doesn't mean much to me. he's got more losses than wins in the past few years. both mosley and judah are past their prime. pavlik ko'd two guys in their prime and had never been ko'd before.

the quality of opposition is important, but the main judging should be on the fighter themself. the fact that taylor sucks shouldn't hinder the fact that pavlik meant business in the ring this year.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Nov 12 2007, 01:53 AM) [snapback]364808[/snapback]
i think we just judge fighter of the year on different criteria. this is all on a championship level.

granted, i've seen taylor lose several fights, but get the decision. i think it's to pavlik's credit that he ko'd him (finally!)
and judah doesn't mean much to me. he's got more losses than wins in the past few years. both mosley and judah are past their prime. pavlik ko'd two guys in their prime and had never been ko'd before.

the quality of opposition is important, but the main judging should be on the fighter themself. the fact that taylor sucks shouldn't hinder the fact that pavlik meant business in the ring this year.

Weather some believe Mosley was past his best or not many still picked him to beat the younger Cotto and as for Judah he was on his A game that night Cotto just overwhelmed him.

Judah and Mosley are much better fighters than Miranda and Taylor are therefor equalling better wins.
BigG
Judah and Mosley are seriously better then Miranda and Taylor P4P....

I like Jermain and I think he fights with alot of heart and will..and I think he showed he hang with some of the best in Winky and Hopkins. (although I thought he lost all 3 by close decision). Then he doesn't look good in beating Ouma and he wins ANOTHER controversial decision over Spinks (a guy that Judah HANDLED by KO). Alot of us, including myself, had high expectations for Taylor based on how competitive he was vs. Hopkins. He didn't live up to those expectations obviously. And I think Jermain's gonna get knocked out in the rematch vs. Pavlik as well.

Miranda had a good win over Allan Green, but lets be real about him. He excited the fans because of his style. The guy is somewhat like Mayorga. Pavlik KO'd him. And he KO'ed Taylor too. Props to him, he had a helluva year.

Now let's look at Cotto. He started off the year with an easy win over his mandatory Otkay Urkal. And then he gave Zab a bad beating (Judah is not past his prime). And then he goes on to beat Shane Mosley, who DOMINATED Collazo after Collazo had come off a great performance vs. Ricky Hatton....a fight he probably should've won.

So both had a great year.

But like I said, the FOTY will probably be the Hatton-Mayweather winner anyway...

Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 12 2007, 01:26 AM) [snapback]364816[/snapback]
I don't like to be narrow minded or come across as I am right and nothing else is acceptable, I am open to opinions but I cannot accept that Pavlik is the fighter of the year. He has had a very good year and has won them with knockouts which is always cool, but Miranda? This is a one dimensional fighter that was most famous for a loss and the shit he talked (I liked his attitude though) and Jermaine Taylor who had a controversial win against Hopkins, another controversial win in the rematch, a controversial draw with Winky a close win against a small Ouma which he looked like trash in and then another controversial win against the light hitting smaller Spinks, who got knocked out by Zab in a lighter weight class. These two guys are supposed to be better than Mosley and Judah? I think the out of prime Mosley and Judah as that guy put it are still better than Miranda and Taylor in there prime.
I think it's out of Cotto or the winner of Hatton/Mayweather. I can't really accept the award being given to anyone else.

haha. i don't really care who accepts it. it's my pick. i gave my reasons. no one else has to accept it. i'll just be over here with my ignorant, uninformed opinion of who was fighter of the year.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 12 2007, 03:43 AM) [snapback]364836[/snapback]
I'm just saying. I just don't know how someone can say with a straight face that Miranda is better than Judah and Taylor is better than Mosley.
I also find it a little amusing that a guy that goes by the screen name "Thegreatestequalizer" and has a guy giving a nutshot as his AV has the cheek to complain about Cotto landing one low.

LMAO great point!

singletrack
If Hatton were to beat Floyd then he should definitely get it. Because in order for Hatton to beat Floyd, it will have to be an amazing fight. If the fight goes in PBF favor, then a case could be made for him, Pavlik or Cotto.

Assuming that PBF does win, the best thing for boxing, IMO, is for them to select Cotto. He has more world wide appeal than the other two and can really help the sport get back to the top.
singletrack
QUOTE(Fitz)
I'm just saying. I just don't know how someone can say with a straight face that Miranda is better than Judah and Taylor is better than Mosley.
I also find it a little amusing that a guy that goes by the screen name "Thegreatestequalizer" and has a guy giving a nutshot as his AV has the cheek to complain about Cotto landing one low.

QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 12 2007, 05:36 AM) [snapback]364842[/snapback]

LMAO great point!

HAHAHAHAHA - fabulous.
Elijah
Cotto is the obvious choice. The man just beat Judah and Mosley in consecutive fights in the same year. Yeah I'd say he deserves it.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(adambomb @ Nov 11 2007, 09:37 PM) [snapback]364757[/snapback]

QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Nov 12 2007, 01:53 AM) [snapback]364808[/snapback]

I think I'm more aligned with these guys. Right now I'd give it to Pavlik over Cotto by a hair. Nobody in their right mind believes Miranda and Tayor are better than Judah and Mosley but Kelly beat them a lot more convincingly than Cotto did (at least combined). You can't just dismiss Pavlik's wins because in hindsight perhaps neither Miranda or Taylor were all that great. Fact is, Kelly walked into the ring an undercard both times and both times dished out emphatic KO's. He started the year basically an afterthought contender and now he's the undefeated middleweight champion of the world. I feel like his stock went up exponentially more this year than Cotto's, even though Cotto clearly ranks above him p4p.

I didn't like it in '04 when Glen Johnson got fighter of the year for beating Roy and Tarver because I felt like he lost the fight with Tarver. Wth Cotto, it's a similar situation. I scored his fight with Mosley a draw, so I can't give him full props for that one, even though the fact that he proved to be Shane's equal on Saturday was a major feat unto itself.

Just my two cents. I'd love for Hatton to make the Pavlik-Cotto debate moot anyway (though I know that he won't).
JD
Pavlik's knockout wins over Zertuche, Miranda and Taylor...or Cotto's knockout win over Judah and very close nod over Mosley.

Tough call. If Cotto's W over Quintana were a month later, I would probably lean in that direction, but it wasn't...so as of right now, I am leaning toward Pavlik. He beat a very dangerous contender in Zertuche, the number one contender in Miranda, and the undisputed champ in Taylor. Cotto had a win over a desparate Judah, and a win against a sharp Mosley which is impressive, but a hair under Pavlik in my opinion.

If Hatton can beat Floyd, I would probably lean in his direction with a shutout win over Juan Urango, a KO win over Castillo and a win over Floyd...but I am not about to predict that he beats Floyd.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 12 2007, 03:43 AM) [snapback]364836[/snapback]

i know. isn't that hilarious?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 12 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]364877[/snapback]
Kelly walked into the ring an undercard both times and both times dished out emphatic KO's.

Oops, meant to say 'underdog'

QUOTE(JD @ Nov 12 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]364890[/snapback]
Pavlik's knockout wins over Zertuche, Miranda and Taylor...or Cotto's knockout win over Judah and very close nod over Mosley.

Cotto has the TKO over Urkal this year too. And I forgot about Zertuche being this year as well.
buford54
I personally don't have an issue with either guy getting it. Both of them fought the best possible opposition available to them, and both of them won in hard fights.

If Hatton can upset Mayweather, then he needs to get it. Beating JCC, Urango and the #1 p4p fighter in the world should get him the nod.

If Mayweather beats Hatton, I don't think he should get it, because fighting DLH was a money move, not a greatness move. Fighting Hatton is good and I don't take anything away from Floyd, but his year has been DLH (fights once a year) and now Hatton (at Hatton's weakest weight).

Come to think of it, I guess I would lean towards Pavlik, in that Miranda was arguably robbed against Abraham and could have been called undefeated, and Taylor was undefeated...whilst Zab is coming off of 2 losses and an NC and Mosely has lost every big fight he's ever been in (except for DLH, and he got a gift in their second fight).
If you're going to judge it on paper alone, as of now, Pavlik would probably get my nod, even though Shane and Zab are probably the better fighters. Zab always comes up short, as does Shane.
Maxy
Right now its Cotto for me.

If Hatton beats Mayweather he'll take the accolade. If Mayweather beats Hatton, its still Cotto for me.

Can't even begin to consider Pavlik.
BrutalBodyShots
Slim you make some good points in your argument for Pavlik to be FOTY.

If Hatton were to CONVINCINGLY beat Mayweather I think you'd have to really consider him since Mayweather is a much more solid favorite over Hatton than Taylor was over Pavlik or Cotto over Mosley for example. This is a fight that Mayweather is supposed to win, let's be realistic here. That said, if Hatton came away with the W and did it in spectacular fashion, taking that from the best fighter P4P in the sport would be a hell of an accomplishment. That's not even counting his other wins.

Snoop
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 12 2007, 05:03 PM) [snapback]364877[/snapback]
I think I'm more aligned with these guys. Right now I'd give it to Pavlik over Cotto by a hair. Nobody in their right mind believes Miranda and Tayor are better than Judah and Mosley but Kelly beat them a lot more convincingly than Cotto did (at least combined). You can't just dismiss Pavlik's wins because in hindsight perhaps neither Miranda or Taylor were all that great. Fact is, Kelly walked into the ring an undercard both times and both times dished out emphatic KO's. He started the year basically an afterthought contender and now he's the undefeated middleweight champion of the world. I feel like his stock went up exponentially more this year than Cotto's, even though Cotto clearly ranks above him p4p.

I didn't like it in '04 when Glen Johnson got fighter of the year for beating Roy and Tarver because I felt like he lost the fight with Tarver. Wth Cotto, it's a similar situation. I scored his fight with Mosley a draw, so I can't give him full props for that one, even though the fact that he proved to be Shane's equal on Saturday was a major feat unto itself.

Just my two cents. I'd love for Hatton to make the Pavlik-Cotto debate moot anyway (though I know that he won't).

I agree with Brutal that these are great points but I'd also have to counter. At the beginning of the year I think the jury was still out on Cotto. Up until that point, and even after the Urkal fight, he was still an up and comer, taking on more and more solid opponents, but never a match in which you thought he would be tested and possibly lose. Not until the Judah fight. I would say the crowd was split on the who would win the Judah fight and the way in which he dismantled Judah was very impressive. And with the Mosley fight, true, he fought a very close, more or less even fight with Mosley, but like you said, proving to be Shane's equal is a feat unto itself.

In my eyes, Pavlik did start out with a lower expectation than Cotto, in middleweight terms. He thoroughly disposed of his opponents, showed he had great heart, and became middleweight champion of the world. But those opponents, specifically Miranda and Taylor, were unproven to begin with. Miranda had a lot of hype that proved to be unfounded, and Taylor was seemingly slipping after every match since the 2 Hopkins fights.

So I guess the question is do you value convincing wins over questionable opposition, or hairline decisions over proven hall of famers?

I guess I could go either way with the argument you brought up, but I'd still slightly lean towards Cotto at this point.
Fitz
I think all Hatton has to do is win a clear cut decision. It doesn't have to be dominant, but just enough for people not to cry robbery and that could get him over the line for fighter of the year. Unfortunately, Floyd has to win a lot bigger than Hatton has to beat him. But it's always worth big marks when you beat a p4p number 1 fighter and knocking Castillo out in 4? It would be hard to look past him, even as good as Cotto was this year, he may get pipped by Hatton. But in the end, I think Mayweather wins, but not good enough to take Fighter of the Year.
Fitz
Like snoopnick pointed out, all Pavlik/Taylor and Miranda were all guys that weren't really proven. Well 2 of them weren't proven and the other guy wasn't 100% approved by fans and was given the opportunity to prove them wrong. I agree to some extent about him going in as an underdog and getting a knockout. But looking back, people didn't think much of Taylor anyways, he got outboxed by any guys, and the problem was they just couldn't punch hard enough to get him out of there. Miranda was your typical fan pleaser. Fans enjoyed him, but it didn't make him a good fighter, he was entertaining in and out of the ring and can still make some noise against the right fighters, but he wasn't anything special.
BrutalBodyShots
Mayweather has got to be just about the most proven fighter in the sport, so if Hatton can pull off the upset and take a convincing victory over Mayweather that would be a good argument for him being FOTY. Of course I would be VERY surprised if this happened.
caneman
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 11 2007, 05:55 PM) [snapback]364720[/snapback]
With the fight of the year thread just started, I thought I'd bring this one into the discussion as well. Who are the top candidates?

1. Kelly Pavlik - emphatic KO's of both the middleweight champion and universally recognized #1 contender at the time.

2. Miguel Cotto - dominant KO of Judah, and a huge notch on his resume with decision over Mosley.

3. Joe Calzaghe - humiliating Manfredo was pretty meaningless, but the win over Kessler was terrific.

4. Juan Diaz - TKO's of two very good fighters in Freitas and Julio Diaz.

Obviously, Mayweather-Hatton could still play a role in this as well, especially if Hatton somehow pulls it out.

Anyone else worth mentioning here?

good list right there! i think you might even have it in order myself! i know that would be my list!
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 11 2007, 07:24 PM) [snapback]364729[/snapback]
If Hatton was to somehow beat Mayweather, he may steal it from Cotto. Beating Castillo the way he did and to beat the p4p number 1 fighter would maybe get him over the line.
Mayweather will win the fight though.

I agree that if Hatton somehow wins this fight he would win. If he loses against Mayweather I would have to give to Cotto. Two strong wins against top notch competition.

Boxingjunkie
alaganza
Floyd had the Victory over Oscar earlier this year.

Pavlik scored some pretty good victories (One being the impressive destruction of Taylor)

Cotto has the two big victories over Judah and Mosley

Anyone else in your opinions????
STEVENSKI
Maussa because he is the apostle.
BrutalBodyShots
Duplicate Thread. You were about a week late on this discussion - here's the link (which is still on the first page)

http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.php?showtopic=20618
alaganza
Sorry bro

Maybe we can get someone to take the thread down.

drinks.gif
BrutalBodyShots
np buddy. Good to see you, been a while since I've seen you post!

Col Reb
I give the nod to Pavlik, unless Hatton beats PBF. I just can't give it to Cotto, b/c in my opinion he did something (beating Judah) that too many others have done. He also did not deserve the Mosley decision in my opinion. But I will say the Cotto-Judah fight might be the FOTY.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.