Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Least number of fights a fighter ever had when winning a major world title?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
BrutalBodyShots
Which fighter had the least number of professional fights when he won his first major world title?

I'm sure some of the historians on this site have some good answers.

I can't think of anything off hand less than 12, which is what I believe Evander Holyfield had and David Reid had when they won their titles.

Then there's Vargas with 15.

Anyone have any examples of less than 12?

Lil-lightsout
Leon Spinks had seven fights when he beat Ali for the heavyweight title.
BigG
Veeraphol Sapahrom had 3 pro fights when he won the WBA Bantamweight title
STEVENSKI
Jeff Fenech had 6 when he won his IBF bantamweight title.
BrutalBodyShots
Totally forgot about Spinks, good call on that one.

George I think you're going to be the winner... 3 is going to be tough to beat! Good stuff.

kidbazooka1
What about James Smith who won the WBC title in his very 1st fight, Nah just f*cking with ya. laugh.gif

Yup I think Sahaprom takes it.
WWE
Pete Rademacher didn't win, but he deserves mention. He was the 1956 Olympic Gold Medallist at Heavyweight and challenged Floyd Patterson for his world title in his first pro fight.
pastor method
when nabuo nashiro upset martin castillo i think he had only 7 or 8.

3 fights though! that's astonishing.
Maxy
In 1975 Saensak Muangsurin won the WBC light welterweight title in his 3rd fight.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Maxy @ Nov 16 2007, 07:49 AM) [snapback]365417[/snapback]
In 1975 Saensak Muangsurin won the WBC light welterweight title in his 3rd fight.

Good one! So we've got a tie for 3 fights... anyone wanna dig deeper for 2?

Boxingjunkie
Three fights is pretty amazing. Was the current champ that bad or was the new champ just that good??

Boxingjunkie
BrutalBodyShots
What I find crazy is that a sanctioning body would actually allow a fight between a champion and a guy that was 3-0... I mean obviously the 3-0 guy wasn't ranked at that stage, so why did the fights even happen? There would have to be 100 guys more qualified to fight than a guy that's 3-0, so you can't argue that since a guy or two pulled out they got a shot or whatever. I bet a lot of people felt like idiots when the 3-0 guy upset the champion.

Edit: I meant 2-0... so not even 3-0 yet!
Warlord
Jerry Drake's grandfather once won a world title in Canada with 0 fights. In a drunken brawl Drake KO'd a Moose outside of Le Fageet's Pub on a cold december night, and was subsequently proclaimed heavyweight champion of the world. Drake went on to defend his title by word of mouth for years to come, frequently regaling friends, family members, and strangers alike with his amazingly amazing story. The old man finally retired some years later from the boxing world with his belt intact, and a perfect record of 0-0, 0KOs. And even today he is still widely regarded as Canada's greatest athlete in the history of the world.

Jerry Drake is currently training in the Himalayas, hoping to take the boxing world by storm, much the same as his grandfather did 150 years ago.

*The moose population in the Himalayas has decreased dramatically since Mr. Drake's arrival.
BigG
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 17 2007, 08:15 AM) [snapback]365553[/snapback]
What I find crazy is that a sanctioning body would actually allow a fight between a champion and a guy that was 3-0... I mean obviously the 3-0 guy wasn't ranked at that stage, so why did the fights even happen? There would have to be 100 guys more qualified to fight than a guy that's 3-0, so you can't argue that since a guy or two pulled out they got a shot or whatever. I bet a lot of people felt like idiots when the 3-0 guy upset the champion.

Edit: I meant 2-0... so not even 3-0 yet!

I guess you gotta be a standout popular amateur or a olympic gold medalist.

Didnt' Floyd Patterson defend the Heavyweight title against an olympic gold medalist making his PRO DEBUT? Thats crazy...

And I believe after the Gold Medalist got knocked the fuck out, he fought a 42 fight veteran (40-2-2) Zora Foley in his 2nd fight and got layed out as well..

Good matchmaking right there..laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 17 2007, 06:19 AM) [snapback]365558[/snapback]
I guess you gotta be a standout popular amateur or a olympic gold medalist.

Even so there's no way a guy would be ranked with only 2 fights; there would have to be many more deserving options.

It's also very surprising from the challenger standpoint that they would take a fight so easy in their career against such a threat. You'd have to think that for every example of one of these guys winning a title in their first few fights there has got to be 50 examples of someone losing, much like you pointed out with the Patterson example.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.