Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Horror movie discussion
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
BigG
For the past 2 months, I've downloaded and watched some classic horror flicks which got good reviews on review sites....Exorcist, Psycho, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Shining, Silence of the Lambs, Halloween and I gotta say that Texas Chainsaw Massacre was still the best and most disturbing and Silence of the Lambs is the most overrated...still a classic nontheless

The only recent horror movies I liked were the first Wrong Turn and the exorcism of Emily Rose. The rest have been disappointed. I watched Wrong Turn 2 at a friends place and it was gory as hell but no real thrilling moments IMO. I didnt really like it to be honest but the slutty chick giving the camera man a BJ was pretty hot. laugh.gif
Byrd Man
I despise horror movies because they are mostly terrible, and almost always sacrifice actual tension for cheap scares and gore. And I abhor Wrong Turn, although I also hate the "backwoods inbred redneck monster" type of bad guys in these flicks.

That being said, the only horror flicks that I recommend are as follows:

Gingersnaps
Frailty
Nightwatch (Russian)
Daywatch (Russian Sequel to Nightwatch)
High Tension (French flick also known as Haute Tension)

Frailty is the only flick that actually scared the living shit out of me, because there are actually people like that. Fucked up people who think that they are doing God's work. Stars Bill Paxton, Matthew McConaughy and Powers Booth.

Trailers below for these:

Ginger Snaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN86SzY5RCk

Frailty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQOaRb-aZ4

High Tension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgzoRTjMFDQ

Nightwatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvgVUSEow2Y

Daywatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMuDHYEdo8
BigG
The trailer for Frailty seems pretty creepy..I'll have to check that out one of these days.
Southeastpaw
Frailty was jacked up.

I am one of the only people that I know that thoroughly enjoyed both Blair Witch movies. I really liked those and watch them to this day.

Many don't care for the acting in the Saw movies. I haven't seen the 4th one yet, but am a fan of the series.

Out of pure shock and disgust, the movie, "The Hills Have Eyes" is totally jacked. I was actually pissed during this movie, not that the movie sucked, but at how bad I wanted to fuck some of the characters up.

Never been a big fan of the Halloweens, Texas Chainsaw Massacres, or Friday the 13ths. Not to mention the Rob Zombie flicks. What a fuckin rip he did off of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

The Exorcist is the the first movie I ever saw that scared the living shit out of me. And probably deserves to be ranked #1 out of all the horror flicks.

BigG
The first Blair Witch with the video cam was a pretty creepy when I first saw it I must admit that. I was really young when I watched it...and havent seen it since then....(SPOILERS AHEAD)........At night while they were lost in the forrest, they had to set up the tent to sleep, they'd hear those noises outside then something started shaking the tent and the girl and her friends just ran out of the tent screaming...that was probably the creepiest part..

Blair Witch II was also pretty good......
Southeastpaw
Biggeorge, what did you think of Rob Zombie's, "House of 1000 Corpses"?
BigG
I've never seen it but I've been told it wasn too great.....would you recommend it?
BigG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru9fX9wvE6k

Is this a good trailor or what?
Southeastpaw
I wouldn't really recommend it. But it would be interesting for you to see since you like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The similarities are so close, I cannot believe that Rob got away with rippin it off of the original.

And that Exorcist trailer is sick. That movie really got to me. I was born and raised in a Catholic home, so the idea of exorcism is very real to me. I remember a priest back home saying that the part in the movie where the girl is getting Holy Water sprinkled on her, the voices you hear coming out of here mouth were recorded from an actual exorcism. The recording was stolen or ripped off and sold to the producers of the film. That is the story I got from a Catholic priest anyhow. There were also a few deaths connected with the making of that film as well. That film is just all around messed up. I have not watched in a long while and not sure if I ever will again to tell you the truth.
Byrd Man
High Tension/Haute Tension was done by the guy who did The Hills Have Eyes remake.
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 12 2007, 01:23 PM) [snapback]364891[/snapback]
High Tension/Haute Tension was done by the guy who did The Hills Have Eyes remake.

Ewwww! I just might have to give that one a gander then. Thanks Byrd Man.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Nov 12 2007, 05:26 PM) [snapback]364882[/snapback]
Biggeorge, what did you think of Rob Zombie's, "House of 1000 Corpses"?

I spent that movie laughing my head off. One move that I think was underrated was Wolf Creek. it may be because I am a Aussie & can understand the lingo & setting better than a American but Jeff Jarrat plays a great bad guy in that.
Southeastpaw
I liked Wolf Creek and thought it was a pretty good horror flick, but not great. I thought it was better than Hostel, but along the same lines as Turistas. The creepy thing about these 3 flicks is that they actually happen(ed).
BrutalBodyShots
George, just curious why do you think Silence of the Lambs is over rated?

I too am a fan of the Saw series (particularly the first 2) simply because they are very creative and not like every other damn horror movie.

BrutalBodyShots
So Nightwatch is a Russian flick? I remember watching that trailer a few years ago on apple trailers and always wondered why I never heard about it after that.
BigG
I liked Silence of the Lambs alot but alot of people call it the best of all time.

I'm more into movies like TCM, SOL, Pyscho because these movies are based on actual sick fucks...

And south, thats the exact reason it scared me way back...I just recently watched Exorcist and it still creeps me out..
BigJuicyHog
Yeah, Frailty is a favorite of mine. Evil Dead is pretty decent and a bit campy (made on a shoestring budget). I still think my favorites are the Thing and Poltergeist. The Thing (1980s version) is the ulitmate suspense horror.
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 12 2007, 04:20 AM) [snapback]364832[/snapback]
Frailty is the only flick that actually scared the living shit out of me, because there are actually people like that. Fucked up people who think that they are doing God's work. Stars Bill Paxton, Matthew McConaughy and Powers Booth.

Frailty was one of only 3 movies I've ever seen in the theater where people walked out because they could not handle it...not because the film sucked...but because it was too much for their little minset on what "horror" should be....

Eraserhead.....Frailty and BUG.....

If you liked Frailty.....I really think you will like BUG as they are very much the same in suspense and pace and tone.

TONS of people HATED BUG this year because the film company chose to market it as a "horror" film in the traditional sense....people were pissed when they went in there and did not see bugs borrowing into heads and taking over people....

HONESTLY....if BUG gets passed over at Oscar time...it will be a total shame.....watch the climax scene with Ashly Judd....and her male counter part (his first film role)....they were ina total zone in that scene.

Also when you watch it...keep in mind it's based on a play....so you don't have a huge cast and the location is very small as well.

It was directed by William Freidkin....who directed the Exorcist.

On that note a few others worth checking into are Exorcist III.....Skip II as it has nothing to do with the original and was a Roger Coreman monstrosity that was made for $$$ only. III is the TRUE follow up to the first....and SEVERLY underrated as a scary as shit horror film. Also....The 9th Configuration is worth looking at.

Also......if you can check out Singapore Sling......this one was banned at Cannes in the early 90s....do you know how sick and twisted you have to be to offend the French! lol

All of these are worth you time and effort and $$$.....
BigG
Make a top 10 horro movie list guys....

1. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)
2. The Exorcist
3. Halloween
4. Pyscho
5. Scream
6. Silence Of The Lambs
7. The Shining
8. Jaws

and I'll have to rethink the last 2...

Other good horror flicks are Candyman, Nightmare on Elm street, and I know what you did last summer, IMO anyway..
BigG
The grudge wasnt bad too...One of the better recent horro movies..
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 15 2007, 07:51 AM) [snapback]365251[/snapback]
The grudge wasnt bad too...One of the better recent horro movies..

Are you serious? I thought the Grudge was one of the top 10 WORST horror movies of all time. I'd put that one in the same category as The Fog, Boogyman, The Descent and Darkness Falls.

I can't stand horror movies with low budget computer generated monsters and crap - I actually find them to be more of a comedy than scary because I just laugh at them. That's why I prefer more of the classic horror movies, or of the new generation of movies things like Saw that don't have stupid monsters running around.

I'd like some more info on Frailty as I've never seen it and many of you are giving it solid reviews though!

Southeastpaw
Frailty is wild Brutal. It doesn't have any crazy monsters in it, well not like the ones you are speaking of. lol

Since you have not seen this yet, I recommend you go rent it. This is definitely a unique horror. Here is the trailer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/traile...play-E15888-310

BigG
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 15 2007, 03:45 PM) [snapback]365270[/snapback]
Are you serious? I thought the Grudge was one of the top 10 WORST horror movies of all time. I'd put that one in the same category as The Fog, Boogyman, The Descent and Darkness Falls.

I can't stand horror movies with low budget computer generated monsters and crap - I actually find them to be more of a comedy than scary because I just laugh at them. That's why I prefer more of the classic horror movies, or of the new generation of movies things like Saw that don't have stupid monsters running around.

I'd like some more info on Frailty as I've never seen it and many of you are giving it solid reviews though!

laugh.gif Grudge had its creepy moments...It was better then the Ring IMO.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Nov 15 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]365274[/snapback]
Frailty is wild Brutal. It doesn't have any crazy monsters in it, well not like the ones you are speaking of. lol

Since you have not seen this yet, I recommend you go rent it. This is definitely a unique horror. Here is the trailer.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0264616/traile...play-E15888-310

I'll grab a copy and watch it. The trailer doesn't really tell too much about the movie, but it looks interesting.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 15 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]365278[/snapback]

You think? I actually liked The Ring better... The Ring 2 sucked though. I'm a big fan of horror movies with concepts that aren't played out and have not been done before. That's one of the reasons why I liked The Ring because it was a new sort of concept. Same with the Saw series.

I think lots of movies, even the shitty ones I listed above have "creepy moments" but they are few and far between in the grand scheme of things.

I also think that some of the ideas from The Grudge came from The Ring... being that The Grudge came out a year or so later. I think that's one of those cases where whichever you see first you have a better chance of liking to some degree.

I remember The Sixth Sense and Stir of Echoes came out and were in the theater at the same time. I saw BOTH in the theater on the same day but saw Stir of Echoes first. I thought that movie was AWESOME and when I saw The Sixth Sense I felt like I had already seen the movie. Outside of the last 2 minutes of the movie I wasn't impressed. However if you read the reviews, The Sixth Sense received much more attention and acclaim than Stir of Echoes. Strange how that works.

Southeastpaw
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 15 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]365288[/snapback]
I'll grab a copy and watch it. The trailer doesn't really tell too much about the movie, but it looks interesting.

It has been a while since I have seen the movie, but basically it is about this guy, played by Matthew McConaghee(sp), who walks into this police station and tells thia cop that he believes that his brother is behing some serial killings. He then goes on to tell the cop about his chidhood with his dad(Bill Paxton) and brother. And how one night his dad came into his room late one night and told him that he received a message from God that they were supposed to slay demons on earth in the form of humans. As the story goes, Paxton receives certain tools from God to carry out the slayings. Paxton gets a list of names from God that tells him who he is supposed to slay and he wants his sons to be involved. The older son believes Paxton is insane, but the younger son follows what his father says. Once Paxton has the people he is supposed to slay, he can see what evil they have done by touching them with his bare hands.

It has been a while though. But that is the main idea. I won't go anymore into it. It is really good though
BigG
Ok, that sounds good...I must watch that.

Yeah, the idea of the ghost little girl definitely came from the ring....But I prefered the Grudge...I liked both to be honest. I havent seen the japanese version of the ring and from what Ive read it is superior to the US version.
Fitz
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 16 2007, 03:05 AM) [snapback]365278[/snapback]

The Ring was quite good and original IMO. The Japanese one anyways. I liked that one of the Hollywood one.
Fitz
But I haven't watched a variety of horror movies. I'm not big on horror and basically watched the supposedly good ones, so I won't really compile a top 10 list.
BrutalBodyShots
I had my father add Frailty to the top of his NetFlix queue so I should have a copy in a week or so.
Warlord
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 12 2007, 03:20 AM) [snapback]364832[/snapback]
I despise horror movies because they are mostly terrible, and almost always sacrifice actual tension for cheap scares and gore. And I abhor Wrong Turn, although I also hate the "backwoods inbred redneck monster" type of bad guys in these flicks.

That being said, the only horror flicks that I recommend are as follows:

Gingersnaps
Frailty
Nightwatch (Russian)
Daywatch (Russian Sequel to Nightwatch)
High Tension (French flick also known as Haute Tension)

Trailers below for these:

Ginger Snaps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN86SzY5RCk

Frailty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kQOaRb-aZ4

High Tension: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgzoRTjMFDQ

Nightwatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvgVUSEow2Y

Daywatch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgMuDHYEdo8

If you guys want to see GOOD horrow films, expand your horizons. Check out the shit being produced in Japan and Korea. American horror is "teh" gay.
Warlord
See these movies, bitches.

Southeastpaw
How did I know they would be Asian films????

LOL

Waddup Warlord. Good to see you round these parts again.
Warlord
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Nov 15 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]365363[/snapback]
How did I know they would be Asian films????

LOL

Waddup Warlord. Good to see you round these parts again.

Hahaha, what's going on bro? I'm glad to be back on here. It took me a little longer to get settled down here than I originally planned, but it looks like things are finally under control. Glad to see you guys were holding things down in the meantime.
BigG
Isnt Battle Royale just a bloodbath with alot of gory deaths??
Fitz
QUOTE(Warlord @ Nov 16 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]365367[/snapback]
Hahaha, what's going on bro? I'm glad to be back on here. It took me a little longer to get settled down here than I originally planned, but it looks like things are finally under control. Glad to see you guys were holding things down in the meantime.

Where abouts are you now?
Warlord
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 15 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]365369[/snapback]
Isnt Battle Royale just a bloodbath with alot of gory deaths??

Actually, no. There are deep, underlying messages buried in the film dealing with social inequity, the results of broken childhood, loyalty, and a wealth of other heartbreaking subjects generally not touched on by most american films. But don't worry, you heartless bastards, it's buried deep enough in the film that shallow assholes who are only looking for a savage visceral experience will be well satisfied by what they see. laugh.gif
Warlord
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2007, 12:17 AM) [snapback]365373[/snapback]
Where abouts are you now?

Shanghai, China right now. Hopefully back to Tokyo or Nagoya soon.
BigG
QUOTE(Warlord @ Nov 16 2007, 05:58 AM) [snapback]365383[/snapback]
Actually, no. There are deep, underlying messages buried in the film dealing with social inequity, the results of broken childhood, loyalty, and a wealth of other heartbreaking subjects generally not touched on by most american films. But don't worry, you heartless bastards, it's buried deep enough in the film that shallow assholes who are only looking for a savage visceral experience will be well satisfied by what they see. laugh.gif

laugh.gif Nice.

The trailer for Audition is sick.....Check it out on youtube. Japanese make great horror films and make great video games/
Byrd Man
the reason I like Frailty so much is because it's not a Horror fan by the sense of bloody killings and the such.

It's very much a psychologically terrifying film with fantastic performances by everyone in the cast, especially the two children of Paxton who get pulled into his twisted obsession that borders on child abuse.

Fantastic film, but one that sticks with you long after you've seen it.
Fitz
QUOTE(Warlord @ Nov 16 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]365384[/snapback]
Shanghai, China right now. Hopefully back to Tokyo or Nagoya soon.

I'm jealous. Is it true about Japan or asian countries in general? The women just love western guys?
BGv2.0
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 16 2007, 02:11 AM) [snapback]365388[/snapback]
Fantastic film, but one that sticks with you long after you've seen it.

BUG has that very same effect.

As for the Jap shit....I love Japanese Culture....I collect a lot of it, I have friends in Japan.....but I have to say IMHO their horror films BLOW TOTAL ASSHOLE!

Don't get me wrong....here of late ours are no better...but where do you think half this dumpload is coming from? America is doing American versions of Japanese horror....Ring, Grudge, Pulse....all that crap is straight up ripoff BS. AND....it's worse than the originals....somebody said something about them often having a strong social commentary...and this is true....they do....which often needs good buildup and dialog...which usually makes them SLOOOOWWW as molasis....and it drives me nuts.

I like my horror smart....but I don't want to lose conciousness. I like to find that mid level.....

One I cannot believe I forgot....and I'm sure many will agree....

SESSION 9!!!!!

Reflecting Skin is weird too!

Warlord
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 16 2007, 01:54 AM) [snapback]365391[/snapback]
I'm jealous. Is it true about Japan or asian countries in general? The women just love western guys?

Yes, it's true for the most part. Thank God.
Byrd Man
I have a nice collection of foreign films.

Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, German, French, Thai, Filipino.

I also have the Ultimate 3 DVD tin boxset of "Oldboy"
Warlord
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 16 2007, 02:16 AM) [snapback]365397[/snapback]

As do I. Great movie. That scene where Oh Desu fought those guys in the basement was classic.
BrutalBodyShots
Looks like I've got to start looking into some non-domestic horror films now.

Snoop
QUOTE(Byrd Man @ Nov 16 2007, 07:16 AM) [snapback]365397[/snapback]
I have a nice collection of foreign films.

Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, German, French, Thai, Filipino.

"Oldboy" was a total mindfuck. Great movie.

Looks like I've got to start looking into some non-domestic horror films now.

IMO the best horror films, well some films in general, are foreign.
Southeastpaw
I'm sure there are some GREAT foreign films. I just hate reading while I'm watching a movie. BUT, I have found that if the movie is good enough, I kinda forget that I'm even reading. This happened with me whan I watched Pan's Labyrinth. I was so ingrossed in the movie I just about forgot I was enev reading. lol
Bill The Butcher
My Mom raised me on horror films. My idols were Freddy Kreuger and Michael Jackson (thriller) when I was like 4 to 10 years old. HAHA!

I would have to say my favorite horror films are The Shining and An American Werewolf In London.

28 Days Later was good. Evil Dead 2 is classic!

I must admit, the Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty cool. Seeing those zombies running were freaky.

Horror films are my least favorite kind of movie though, just because there are sooooo many crappy ones. I wont even bother watching half of them. Plus they're not even scarey. They rely on the gore/shock factor, and gore doesn't bother me at all.
Southeastpaw
Evil Dead 2 is AWESOME!!!!

I liked Army of Darkness as well. But Evil Dead 2 was the shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.