Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DeLaHoya Moves to 147: Who Should He Fight Next?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
Snoop
Frontpage reports DLH moving down to welter, which according to him, shouldn't be a problem. To me it looks like DLH is trying to seal a deal with Cotto before the winner of Hatton/Mayweather can, which most likely will be Mayweather.

Other thoughts?
STEVENSKI
DLH has finally lost it I think. Cotto would beat him quite badly in a decision. That said DLH has the power to KO him but I just cannot see him dropping to 47 & keeping his power now. I think he would be severely drained.
Big Slim Sweet
I think Oscar will wait to see what happens December 8. If Hatton were to somehow, some way beat Mayweather I'd bet everything I had on a DLH-Hatton fight taking place next May. Oscar doesn't have to worry about Floyd swooping in and stealing Cotto from him. Cotto will fight DLH next if DLH says he'll fight him next.
Lil-lightsout
I would pick Oscar to KO Cotto, I would love to see that fight!!!
singletrack
It changes everything. DLH can have his pick of anyone. He's the biggest payday and he obviously still has respectable skills.

I'm very confident that he will fight Hatton if Ricky beats PBF and Cotto if Ricky does not. He wants to win a dramatic fight for an important belt and retire. That's my guess anyway.
BrutalBodyShots
Well DLH would be a lot bigger than Cotto, that's for sure and at 147 certainly has the ability to rock Cotto. Then again I said the same thing about Mosley and he wasn't able to drop Cotto. I think that Cotto would be able to get a lot more body work in against DLH than he was able to against Mosley, and we all know that DLH isn't a big fan of taking body shots. Let's not forget the Hopkins fight or DLH literally jumping to avoid Mosley's body punches in their rematch. It would kind of suck for DLH to lose to the 2 biggest Puerto Rican fighters of the last 10 years.
Big Slim Sweet
DLH has more one punch power than Mosley does but other than that I think Cotto matches up very well against him.
Method
I see COtto beating DLH.
BrutalBodyShots
I actually think Cotto-DLH would look a little like Mosley-DLH I. DLH would be competitive through 6 or 7 rounds splitting rounds with Cotto, but Cotto would take over late with better combinations and harder punches (particularly to the body).

WolfishPromistah
I said some days ago that Oscar looked good, like he's working out or something. And it appears he's been keeping off some of that weight and possibly getting used to being smaller again, which might help him in bidding to face someone like Cotto. Besides, he can take notes off of how well Shane stuck in there, and, as he is also able to make adjustments (ala against Shane himself he showed), I will take another chance and say I support the idea he'd decisively beat Cotto with his assets. It's gotta be sooner than later though, just as with Shane; after all, it's not like either is in prime form. But still, look how well folks are saying Shane was able to handle Cotto, the supposed destroyer of worlds -- hehe. They'd probably perceive this as a sort of knock on Cotto too, though it's not intended that way. Oh, he's a fine enough fighter in his own right; it's just I have not been as totally impressed by the kid as some others, from all I've seen. Then, maybe when I see the other night's fight with Mosely, I will be quite happy with -- and even more, highly supportive towards -- any differences I may note from him. So I can't wait.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 12 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]364938[/snapback]
Well DLH would be a lot bigger than Cotto, that's for sure and at 147 certainly has the ability to rock Cotto. Then again I said the same thing about Mosley and he wasn't able to drop Cotto. I think that Cotto would be able to get a lot more body work in against DLH than he was able to against Mosley, and we all know that DLH isn't a big fan of taking body shots. Let's not forget the Hopkins fight or DLH literally jumping to avoid Mosley's body punches in their rematch. It would kind of suck for DLH to lose to the 2 biggest Puerto Rican fighters of the last 10 years.

Why would that suck!? : )

I think we are all going to be saying, "so and so could catch Cotto and knock him out or...x y and z will happen" for the rest of Cotto's career.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 12 2007, 07:33 PM) [snapback]364967[/snapback]
I actually think Cotto-DLH would look a little like Mosley-DLH I. DLH would be competitive through 6 or 7 rounds splitting rounds with Cotto, but Cotto would take over late with better combinations and harder punches (particularly to the body).

Yup. Plus if DLH tired against PBF, then he for damn sure will tire against Cotto with the damage that he will take in the first half of the fight. I could even see a late stoppage. I thought the Mosley fight was heading there, but the fight took a u-turn half way through.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(singletrack @ Nov 12 2007, 10:30 PM) [snapback]364996[/snapback]
Why would that suck!? : )

I just meant from Oscar's POV.
Mean Mister Mustard
The man has been talking about moving down to 147 since 2005. He can't make the weight.
singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 12 2007, 10:36 PM) [snapback]364998[/snapback]
I just meant from Oscar's POV.

I know, and all the Mexican fans out there ; )
Fitz
QUOTE(singletrack @ Nov 13 2007, 02:32 PM) [snapback]364997[/snapback]
Yup. Plus if DLH tired against PBF, then he for damn sure will tire against Cotto with the damage that he will take in the first half of the fight. I could even see a late stoppage. I thought the Mosley fight was heading there, but the fight took a u-turn half way through.

Not that I'm saying Oscar wouldn't tire against Cotto, but you find you tire more and use more energy when you're missing. You use more energy missing than when landing. I think you understand the point I'm trying to make between the defense of Mayweather and Cotto.
BigG
De La Hoya has an EXCELLENT chin....but I'm not sure about his body....I'd favor Cotto at this point..
PR316
Cotto would win at this point. Oscar would have a puncher's chance in the early rounds but if he doesn't get him outta there, he's going to get broken down.
The Original MrFactor
It hurts the division more than helps it. Where should he be ranked?? Who should he fight?? Just because of the money involved, he's most assuredly going get an immediate title shot. I dont see how its deserved. He WILL NOT pick title holder Paul Williams as his target. He's probably hedging all of his bets on Ricky Hatton right now. If Mayweather wins, maybe they rematch. If there is a Mayweather/DLH rematch, then it really log jams the rest of the division. Williams and Cintron is scheduled for February. That will unite 2 belts. With DLH in the mix, it leaves Cotto to fight the winner of Williams/Cintron. That puts everything in place for Mayweather or DLH to fight a young rising star.
WolfishPromistah
Aside from the competitive aspect, Oscar really has no reason to be fighting now. All he has to do is promote -- no reason not to get past all the other stuff. The man is set for life (beyond that, really). And this type of thing is why people get really mad.
Snoop
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 13 2007, 03:40 AM) [snapback]364999[/snapback]
The man has been talking about moving down to 147 since 2005. He can't make the weight.

I remember when he was training for a fight (I think Mayweather), he was saying he was hitting 152 like 4 weeks before the fight. Supposedly it should be not problem, but we'll see.

De La Hoya has an EXCELLENT chin....but I'm not sure about his body....I'd favor Cotto at this point..
Don't you remember Big G? Oscar's only KO loss was from a body shot. laugh.gif

He's probably hedging all of his bets on Ricky Hatton right now. If Mayweather wins, maybe they rematch. If there is a Mayweather/DLH rematch, then it really log jams the rest of the division. Williams and Cintron is scheduled for February. That will unite 2 belts. With DLH in the mix, it leaves Cotto to fight the winner of Williams/Cintron. That puts everything in place for Mayweather or DLH to fight a young rising star.

I do agree that if Hatton wins he might go for Hatton but I doubt he'll go for the Mayweather rematch. I think there's far more $ in a Cotto match and it would also lock Mayweather, forcing him to probably fight Mosley, making it two Goldenboy promoted fights rather than a sole Top Rank affair.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 13 2007, 01:39 AM) [snapback]365029[/snapback]
I do agree that if Hatton wins he might go for Hatton but I doubt he'll go for the Mayweather rematch. I think there's far more $ in a Cotto match and it would also lock Mayweather, forcing him to probably fight Mosley, making it two Goldenboy promoted fights rather than a sole Top Rank affair.

Mosley just lost. Should he get a tuneup 1st. People would take shots at Mayweathers credibility fighting another guy coming off a loss. If Williams beats Cintron impressively, does anyone think Floyd will fight him??

I really dont think the other belt holders in the division should or could be credibly overlooked. If Oscar and Floyd overlook Cotto and Williams/Cintron then its a sad day for boxing. The loaded WW division would only be as good as the heavyweight division...
singletrack
QUOTE(Fitz @ Nov 12 2007, 10:43 PM) [snapback]365002[/snapback]
Not that I'm saying Oscar wouldn't tire against Cotto, but you find you tire more and use more energy when you're missing. You use more energy missing than when landing. I think you understand the point I'm trying to make between the defense of Mayweather and Cotto.

Yup, I hear yah.
Snoop
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Nov 13 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]365032[/snapback]
Mosley just lost. Should he get a tuneup 1st. People would take shots at Mayweathers credibility fighting another guy coming off a loss. If Williams beats Cintron impressively, does anyone think Floyd will fight him??

Mosley just lost a VERY close fight to a very credible opponent in which many people had it for him. Mayweather fought Judah after he convincingly lost to a virtual nobody and it remember most people being fine with it. I still think he'd take Mosley over Williams. More reward in the former.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 13 2007, 02:39 AM) [snapback]365029[/snapback]

Can't see Floyd fighting Mosley. He didn't seem to want to before when everyone was calling for it, and now with the loss he has a perfect excuse.

If Floyd beats Hatton and Oscar fights Cotto I expect PBF to go into another pseudo retirement and wait to see how things shake out with everyone else. He'll say there's no one left for him to fight, he's cleaned out the entire division, etc. Then in a few months when something pops up to his advantage he'll jump on it, like he did with Baldomir and Hatton.
JD
In my opinion Floyd will NOT fight Paul Williams or Antonio Margarito...you can probably scratch Mosley off the list to as he will cite the lost to Cotto (regardless of his fight with Judah).

So, that leaves a couple of guys.
Jack 1000
I doubt that Delahoya-Cotto happens for one big reason. It would be Oscar's last fight and he would most likely lose to Cotto. Back-to-back losses would hurt him too much. He will want to go out a winner. He'll fight an easy tune-up and than if a big fight happens, it would most likely be Delahoya-Margarito. (Who would be easier for Delahoya to beat than Cotto.)

Delahoya is just doing this for money now.

Jack
WolfishPromistah
Now it's bad when you've reached the point (and we have, by all appearances) wherein you gotta breakdown who's THE most fearful man (not "most feared"), in order to rank who'll more than likely face each other in the future.
JD
QUOTE(WolfishPromistah @ Nov 13 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]365066[/snapback]
Now it's bad when you've reached the point (and we have, by all appearances) wherein you gotta breakdown who's THE most fearful man (not "most feared"), in order to rank who'll more than likely face each other in the future.

Welcome to 2007, where legacy is a mere fly speck in world of the almighty dollar.
Chi-Town
This thread will certainly get a lot of varying posts...but anyway, if Oscar does indeed move down to welterweight, being a two time champion in the division and a cash cow, he will most certainly get an instant top 5 ranking from all the organizations. In my honest opinion I think Oscar would have a tremendous chance against Cotto to win by knockout or decision. Oscar is actually a better technical and cerebral boxer than Mosely and will be better able to exploit the holes that Cotto leaves open in his guard...but the most important things to pay attention to are the FACTS that we know about each guy.

1. Oscar more often than not gets tired around the 8th or 9th round...If Oscar runs out of gas while Cotto is starting to come on Oscar could very well get stopped. But contrary to what a lot of people are saying here, I actually thought his stamina held up pretty well against Mayweather.

2. Cotto can be badly wobbled very easily.
2a. Oscar rarely if ever lets a hurt fighter off the hook.

3. Cotto's a devistating body puncher
3a. Oscar is obviously very vulnerable to the body...he has always worn his protector high for that very reason...The only time he's been KO'd was from a body shot and in the first Mosely fight Oscar's will was broken and Shane took over the fight after landing a big body punch.

4. Oscar is more versatile....no knock on Cotto because he is FAR more versatile than people give him credit for, but Oscar even at age 34 or 35 can do more things well. When he's in "boxing mode" (as opposed to "stalking mode" like against Mayorga and Mayweather) where he uses his legs and feet, Oscar has outstanding footwork and good footwork was what kept Shane from really getting hurt to the body.

5. Oscar is much bigger than Cotto.

6. We learned on Saturday that as Cotto admitted himself, that he will let up a bit if he can't break the other guys will...This could be a huge factor if Oscar is able to avoid and/or stand up to the punishment in the early rounds.

7. The crowd will undoubtedly be very Pro-DeLaHoya....I can't remember Cotto ever being booed or playing the role of antagonist, how will he react?
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Nov 13 2007, 11:24 AM) [snapback]365064[/snapback]
I doubt that Delahoya-Cotto happens for one big reason. It would be Oscar's last fight and he would most likely lose to Cotto. Back-to-back losses would hurt him too much. He will want to go out a winner. He'll fight an easy tune-up and than if a big fight happens, it would most likely be Delahoya-Margarito. (Who would be easier for Delahoya to beat than Cotto.)

Jack

I agree and disagree....I agree that he would love to take the easy road and fight a guy 5 inches and two weight divisions below him in Hatton or his former sparring partner Margarito, thats a fight that I have had a hunch would happen since the Mayorga fight. However, Oscar's not doing any of this for money. Guys like holyfield and Tyson who piss away thier purses are the one's who stick around for money. Oscar is a legitimate mogul. The 30 million dollars or so he would get fighting an easy tune-up is just a pittance of what he makes being an investor and promoter...he's looking for that one glorious win or at least a win that he can trick the public into thinking is glorious.
kidbazooka1
Cotto would beat DLH IMO maybe even get a late rd stoppage. Cotto would punish him to the body and wear him down Oscar can no longer cut it in his prime yes but not anymore.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Nov 13 2007, 02:19 PM) [snapback]365070[/snapback]
Oscar even at age 34 or 35 can do more things well. When he's in "boxing mode" (as opposed to "stalking mode" like against Mayorga and Mayweather) where he uses his legs and feet, Oscar has outstanding footwork and good footwork was what kept Shane from really getting hurt to the body.

Good post overall. I agree with most of what you wrote, but have to add here that Oscar hasn't been in "boxing mode" for over three years now, and was knocked out by a body shot - Cotto's specialty - on that occasion. In fact Oscar arguably lost the last three fights when he was in boxing mode, and at 34-35, we really don't know whether he could be effective this way again.

Also, you're absolutely right that Oscar is a better technical and more cerebral boxer than Mosley, but physically he started with less and has lost more, and I really think without the physical attributes Shane still possesses, he would have ended up cannon fodder for Miguel late last Saturday.

But overall, nice breakdown.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Nov 13 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]365072[/snapback]
I agree and disagree....I agree that he would love to take the easy road and fight a guy 5 inches and two weight divisions below him in Hatton or his former sparring partner Margarito, thats a fight that I have had a hunch would happen since the Mayorga fight. However, Oscar's not doing any of this for money. Guys like holyfield and Tyson who piss away thier purses are the one's who stick around for money. Oscar is a legitimate mogul. The 30 million dollars or so he would get fighting an easy tune-up is just a pittance of what he makes being an investor and promoter...he's looking for that one glorious win or at least a win that he can trick the public into thinking is glorious.

Actually I think Oscar does in part fight for money - as a promoter. He knows his promotional company makes the most money when he fights.
buford54
If Oscar moves back to 147, he'll fight whomever he wants. My guess is he'll fight Cotto or Hatton (if Hatton gets by Mayweather) and then the either the Mayweather rematch (if Floyd beats Hatton), or a rematch w/ Mosely. My guess is he'll fight Mosely as his farewell fight, since the promo company will benefit doubly as they are both Golden Boy fighters.

Maywether, if he beats Hatton, will, as mentioned earlier, have to go into retirement for a while.
Cotto won't take a Mayweather fight if he can get a DLH fight. Nobody would.
So, if Cotto beats DLH, then Mayweather may come back for that fight. No way he fights a Margarito or Williams in the meantime. Floyd is at the point where he wants most reward for least risk, and neither Tony or Paul fits that category.

So Floyd will retire until he sees how the Cotto fares against DLH (this is all assuming Hatton is out of the picture). Once that is determined, Floyd will either fight Cotto, or gun for the DLH rematch. I still think DLH would prefer the Mosely rematch, because Mosely has the 2 W's.
No way FLoyd fights Shane. Shane just lost, and has the whole speed/power thing...and it wouldn't be a big seller.
Big Slim Sweet
I don't think Oscar and Shane can sell a third fight to the public now that they're business partners. Everyone knows it would be a glorified sparring session. Not that it wouldn't do some buys, of course it would, it's Oscar. But I think I'd rather see either one fight Golden Johnson at this point than each other again.
Snoop
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Nov 13 2007, 08:29 PM) [snapback]365086[/snapback]
I don't think Oscar and Shane can sell a third fight to the public now that they're business partners. Everyone knows it would be a glorified sparring session. Not that it wouldn't do some buys, of course it would, it's Oscar. But I think I'd rather see either one fight Golden Johnson at this point than each other again.

I agree, well with exception to the Golden Johnson comment, LMAO. Everyone knows Mosley and DLH are quite chummy with each other and it'd be difficult for them to guarantee any real action like a "Bad Blood" campaign would.
The Original MrFactor
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Nov 13 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]365064[/snapback]

Jack

I think Margarito stops DLH. I think Cotto is a much more winnable fight for DLH, because he could use his length a little bit more and box. It aint happenin' with Margarito.
BrutalBodyShots
DLH and Mosley will not fight a 3rd time. They're business associates for one, and two they didn't even split the first two fights officially.

X3_Bazooka_X3
I Think De La Hoya should fight Margarito and call it a day pass the torch on to another Mexican fighter.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Nov 13 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]365112[/snapback]
I Think De La Hoya should fight Margarito and call it a day pass the torch on to another Mexican fighter.

So you've got Margarito over DLH at 147 I take it?

singletrack
QUOTE(Chi-Town @ Nov 13 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]365072[/snapback]
...he's looking for that one glorious win or at least a win that he can trick the public into thinking is glorious.

That's exactly what I think as well. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say he is trying to trick the public. I think De La Hoya thinks Hatton or Cotto would be good competitive fights. I think either guy will give DLH problems, but I think he could KO Ricky or stop him on cuts/swelling. I think he may reconsider Cotto after seeing his performance against Shane. But then again, if DLH were to beat Cotto, it elevates him past Shane at this point in his career. Collazo had Hatton stunned and I really believe that PBF will stun him badly as well. Oscar ate some BIG counters in his fight with Floyd.

I would love to see Cotto vs. DLH because it will give Cotto even more valuable experience before facing PBF. In addition, it will give him enough money to setup his grand kids and his charities; he could really make a difference long term for Puerto Rico and his family deserves it as well.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(singletrack @ Nov 13 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]365121[/snapback]
That's exactly what I think as well. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say he is trying to trick the public. I think De La Hoya thinks Hatton or Cotto would be good competitive fights. I think either guy will give DLH problems, but I think he could KO Ricky or stop him on cuts/swelling. I think he may reconsider Cotto after seeing his performance against Shane. But then again, if DLH were to beat Cotto, it elevates him past Shane at this point in his career. Collazo had Hatton stunned and I really believe that PBF will stun him badly as well. Oscar ate some BIG counters in his fight with Floyd.

I would love to see Cotto vs. DLH because it will give Cotto even more valuable experience before facing PBF. In addition, it will give him enough money to setup his grand kids and his charities; he could really make a difference long term for Puerto Rico and his family deserves it as well.

I don't care if a fight with Hatton is the most dramatic fight ever....I just couldn't respect him for beating someone THAT MUCH smaller. If Hatton were to give him problems of any kind I would REALLY consider it a bad performance for Oscar.
mexboxing
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 12 2007, 03:58 PM) [snapback]364905[/snapback]
Frontpage reports DLH moving down to welter, which according to him, shouldn't be a problem. To me it looks like DLH is trying to seal a deal with Cotto before the winner of Hatton/Mayweather can, which most likely will be Mayweather.

Other thoughts?
I think a fight with Cotto would generate millions. Mexican vs Puerto Rican all over again. ODLH has every tool to beat Cotto, but is he too old to engage in a fierce fight is the question. I would definately like to watch this one.
BrutalBodyShots
Maybe if Cotto/DLH ever met the punchstats for both guys would be 0 thrown in rounds 9-12 since both guys in the biggest fights of their careers enjoyed the luxury of not engaging.

Snoop
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 15 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]365194[/snapback]
Maybe if Cotto/DLH ever met the punchstats for both guys would be 0 thrown in rounds 9-12 since both guys in the biggest fights of their careers enjoyed the luxury of not engaging.

That would be fucking hilarious if it actually happened. Just a bunch of moving and feinting for 12 minutes.
FidelCastro
I'd like to see DLH and Hatton at 147. Despite Oscar being a total bitch in person he'll stand toe to toe at times.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 14 2007, 08:05 PM) [snapback]365197[/snapback]
That would be fucking hilarious if it actually happened. Just a bunch of moving and feinting for 12 minutes.

Hell yeah. I'd love to see the two guys circling one another 18 feet apart for 2 minutes and 55 seconds and in the last 5 seconds Oscar would try to pull off a Compubox Flurry... a 5-6 punch combo where all of the punches come up 14 feet short of Cotto... kind of like shadowboxing... but they grab the judges attention and possibly give him the round.

Jack 1000
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 14 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]365197[/snapback]

LOL!!!! laugh.gif

Oscar: (thinking) "Yea, Cotto and I can just split 50 million. I'm too successful as a promoter and have too pretty a mug to engage in any more wars." I can get endorsements for life, but not with my face bruised up. Sucker public thought Floyd and I were going to have a FOTY.............LOL! Shows what they know. We took them for $60 on the PPV."

Now back to me,

We know that Cotto-Delahoya could certainly be a better action fight than the waltz against Mayweather. But there is always that risk of what Snoopnick said, and that is why I almost never buy PPV's anymore unless it's almost a guaranteed war going in and on paper deserving of PPV. Oscar could very well think, "Do I really need to get in there against an opponent for the final fight of my career, for a match that I could very well not win?"

Margarito could be looking better all the time, or the SMALLER Hatton IF he beats Floyd. But even if Floyd stinks out the joint with a jab and run approach and Hatton is at least trying to get inside and be effective, Oscar could consider that as well. The Brits are known for loving their fighters even in losing efforts. (i.e Frank Bruno) It's not like Hatton-Delahoya wouldn't sell out Wembly stadium even if Ricky were to lose to Floyd. What are the chances for action when Mayweather fights anyway? I think boxing fans know the answer to that question.

Jack
BigG
Floyd slightly hurt DLH with a left hook to the body in round 11.....Cotto could probably stop him if he constantly works the body..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.