Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Are Your Views on Max Kellerman?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Max has improved since his ESPN days. He is a fan of the sport. But the biggest criticisms are that he often presents his opinions as facts, and has very inherent bias in favor of slick African-American boxers, and/or boxers from the New York area. He often speaks VERY negatively about Latin-American/Hispanic fighters and it shows in his telecasts. Max's biggest problem is that he is trying to be too much of a "Good Old Boy." trying to influence others to his way of thinking. In contrast, you have Showtime's Al Bernstein who is more professional, calls the fight, and doesn't try to profess his love or hate for fighters into the telecasts. Max craps on issues in boxing that HE HIMSELF hates. (Any Latino fighter, any alphabet organization.) But in the same breathe he is in bed with Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones, Floyd Mayweather, and RING MAGAZINE.)

If Kellerman was a boxing judge, you would know how he would score fights just by their nationality. This was a man who DEFENDED James Butler for SUCKER PUNCHING Richard Grant on network TV. Yes, the same Butler who roommated with Max's brother Sam, whom Butler was later convicted of murdering. Nice objectivity, Max!

There is nothing (or very little) that is objective that comes out of Max Kellerman's mouth. That's the problem.

Jack
Method
Big fan of Kellerman. Sure, he can be a bit exciteable, but I dig his passion for the sport and he has a deep sense of history coupled with a solid understanding of the sport.

I think the ESPN2 platform was the perfect stage for him to shine....not because I don't think he's good on HBO - I do - but rather ESPN2 was more geared trowards the demographic of hardcore fans, which I believe Max is. HBO and HBO PPV should do away with the stuffy tuxedos and let Max and the guys do their thing. I think Max would be much more comfortable in a more dressed down atmosphere.

I really do miss the old ESPN2 FNF's with Max, Teddy, Brian and Joe. That line up fucking RULED, and I watched it more for the studio portions than the actual fights....and when the actual fights turned out good, nothing was better.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 12 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]364944[/snapback]
I really do miss the old ESPN2 FNF's with Max, Teddy, Brian and Joe. That line up fucking RULED, and I watched it more for the studio portions than the actual fights....and when the actual fights turned out good, nothing was better.

Hell yeah, those were the days.

Max has a long career ahead of him. Landing the HBO gig in his early 30's is awesome.

Big Slim Sweet
I like Max. I admit I like to hate on him sometimes too, but overall I think his positive attributes outweight his negative ones.

QUOTE(Method @ Nov 12 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]364944[/snapback]

Yep, so true, though I prefer Bob Papa to Joe Tessitore.
Thegreatequalizer
i liked max as a studio analyst on espn. i thought he was terrible as a rindside commentator on wednesday night fights. then as a fox commentator. and i still think he's a terrible commentator on hbo. though i will say that he was much better than usual for the mosley/cotto ppv. hopefully he'll be like that more in the future.
Warlord
I like Max better than Larry Merchant. But that's not saying much, since I think Merchant is an asshole. The only thing I liked about Larry was the unintentional humor he brought to the table, like those hilarious mid-sentence fucktard pauses where his brain would shut down due to age and insanity, or those shitty ass metaphors he'd make that were amusing only to himself. "He had a... six pack in his stomach... but... he didn't have... a six pack... in his chin." (Larry after Vargas/De La Hoya.)

But neither of those guys are as bad as Teddy Atlas. No explanation necesary.
BigG
I dont mind Max at all...He knows his stuff.
Nobudius
His enthusiasm is great, but he IS biased with certain fighters due to the reasons Jack pointed out. A good thing about Jones Jr getting KTFO was Kellerman coming back to reality, when he had Roy beating the likes of ....oh, everybody from 175 & up. He was also on Judah's nuts HARD.

Merchant favors "fighters", while Max is somewhat the opposite. Wish there was more balance, but they ARE personalities, which is always good.

His historical knowledge is okay....... he's better/worse than some others.

Currently, Steward's play by play really annoys me. He switches sides too frequently, and in the course of a fight.
singletrack
Wasn't there a thread on this last week? : )

I find Max annoying and so does my wife. I haven't seen his commentary on the Cotto fight, so I'm anxious to see what he had to say. As I said in the previous thread, he obviously knows a lot about boxing history and he is obviously a fan. However, someone of his analysis has been suspect. I'm really curious to hear his comments about Cotto/Mosley.
moscow bear
Max is great for the betting people, cos his picks are often so fucking wrong.
kidbazooka1
I agree I think Max is doing much beter than his ESPN days but he can still be very biased towards certian fighters, much more than other commentators.
Chi-Town
I like Max and his style of commentary. I also think that the whole announcing team was better on Saturday with him a part of it. All three seemed to enjoy the the discussion and banter...it seemed like they were actually enjoying talking about the fight and the boxing scene in broad terms with one another. Even still I gotta say you make some great points...his personal feelings do often bleed into his commentary...and his philosophy on scoring rounds I think is absurd. He gives the round to whichever guy he would rather have been in that particular round.

QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Nov 12 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]364927[/snapback]
Max has improved since his ESPN days. He is a fan of the sport. But the biggest criticisms are that he often presents his opinions as facts, and has very inherent bias in favor of slick African-American boxers, and/or boxers from the New York area. He often speaks VERY negatively about Latin-American/Hispanic fighters and it shows in his telecasts. Max's biggest problem is that he is trying to be too much of a "Good Old Boy." trying to influence others to his way of thinking. In contrast, you have Showtime's Al Bernstein who is more professional, calls the fight, and doesn't try to profess his love or hate for fighters into the telecasts. Max craps on issues in boxing that HE HIMSELF hates. (Any Latino fighter, any alphabet organization.) But in the same breathe he is in bed with Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones, Floyd Mayweather, and RING MAGAZINE.)

If Kellerman was a boxing judge, you would know how he would score fights just by their nationality. This was a man who DEFENDED James Butler for SUCKER PUNCHING Richard Grant on network TV. Yes, the same Butler who roommated with Max's brother Sam, whom Butler was later convicted of murdering. Nice objectivity, Max!

There is nothing (or very little) that is objective that comes out of Max Kellerman's mouth. That's the problem.

Jack

salvador
Am I the only person here who senses that there's some kind of riff between Kellerman and Lampley?

Listening to the Cotto-Mosley telecast, particularly at the beginning, it felt like Kellerman was walking on eggshells. It's either that Lampley prefers Merchant or that Lampley knows that Kellerman will have his job for less money sooner rather than later.
Chi-Town
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 13 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]365078[/snapback]
Am I the only person here who senses that there's some kind of riff between Kellerman and Lampley?

Listening to the Cotto-Mosley telecast, particularly at the beginning, it felt like Kellerman was walking on eggshells. It's either that Lampley prefers Merchant or that Lampley knows that Kellerman will have his job for less money sooner rather than later.

I disagree....I thought there was a lot of banter between all three of them actually, but it was all good natured and thought they enjoyed it.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 13 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]365078[/snapback]

i think he read the previous thread on here and saw all the comments about how annoying he is and was trying to be less annoying. score 1 for useless online banter.
jlupi
I like him in small doses. given to long to talk, like on huis radio show he becomes anoying and very repetitive.
salvador
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Nov 13 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]365081[/snapback]
i think he read the previous thread on here and saw all the comments about how annoying he is and was trying to be less annoying. score 1 for useless online banter.

I've always loved Kellerman. But if you go back and listen to the first half of this fight, going back to when Lampley introduced him as the HBO boxing expert, Lampley wasn't nearly as warm as he usually is and Kellerman was definitely more tentative than he normally is.

On a side note, a couple of years ago I was saying that I thought Costas felt intimidated by Kellerman sharing the microphone with him on the PPVs because Costas was clearly not as informed or as enthusiastic as Kellerman, and I got the same kind of response.

Boxingtalk ran an interview with Lampley right after Foreman got fired and Lampley was asked "Do you miss George Foreman?" Lampley answered "No".

I think Lampley and Merchant were/are the best broadcasting team in all of sports. I also think that Lampley knows that Kellerman is much cheaper than he is and that HBO would have all the confidence in the world in having Kellerman take Lampley's job. It's just natural that Lampley would feel threatened.
gods son
forgive me for my lack of analysis, but which latino fighters does kellerman talk crap on??

Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 13 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]365095[/snapback]
I think Lampley and Merchant were/are the best broadcasting team in all of sports. I also think that Lampley knows that Kellerman is much cheaper than he is and that HBO would have all the confidence in the world in having Kellerman take Lampley's job. It's just natural that Lampley would feel threatened.

there may have been some tension, but i don't think lamps is afraid of kellerman taking his job. lamps hosts the olympics and stuff. i don't think they're going to dump him. and i don't think max wants the main job, i think he wants to stick to being an analyst. but one never knows, so maybe he does.
BigG
Kellerman should stick to being the analyst....thats his thing. Lamps is the blow by blow guy....
Method
and his philosophy on scoring rounds I think is absurd. He gives the round to whichever guy he would rather have been in that particular round.

I get it, and understand and agree with the rationale behind it (which he assumes the viewers understand, and therefore doesn't spell out).
PUERTOROCKS
bring back big george and larry!!!!
OnePumpChump
I think Max is good for the sport and great for HBO. No offense to Larry M. and George, but they both seemed like they took too many shots to the head. Seriously, I think I can go without hearing George always saying "He gotta use the jab" all night long. Larry is the worst though. Whenever he speaks and he tries to make everything sound so poetic and he tries to make these comparisons that make no sense whatsoever, like "Well Jim, the way I see it, is that Miguel Cotto hits as hard as brick wall." Really Larry? Walls hit? Ok, so that's just one example. He does it every event, at least 10-15 times. And it's always funny to see Jim's fake smile as he tries not to laugh out loud at the stupidity that was just vomited out of Larry's mouth. It does get very annoying. Also, I think Larry's and Harold's scoring at times can be kind of a bit off. I know it's east for me to sit here and say, cause we have the best seat in the house, but come on. They need to start thinking YOUNGER. Not old seenile people. At least with Max, you have a fresh mind that doesn't forget things and speaks what he feels freely. Max does know his shit. I think Jim, Max, and Emanual Steward are probably the best HBO can offer for know, however, I think Emanual is just starting to speak his age too.
rusty_trombone
I always liked Max. He seems to have a genuine passion for boxing, where as guys like Merchant seem to hate the sport now and the new crop of fighters and bitch and complain about it nonstop. Max celebrates the sport, while all Larry does is collect a check and whine.
hardhead
I agree with the general sentiment here, I think overall Max is good and I think this is the right time to inject some new blood into the HBO crew, of course every analyst I like or in the business me or someone could find something they don't like but overall I think Max is doing a good job. I agree about his scoring the rounds, that's the only thing that makes me say "what the hell is he talking about"

Personally I think he's an extremely important asset to Boxing in general because he's a guy that has a grasp of not only Boxing, but today's sports climate/world in general, I definitely think he could be a positive ambassador for the sport in a time where the only publicity we usually get is negative bullshit. We need a guy that knows what he's talking about and can defend/represent out sport well.

Thegreatequalizer
max is friends with carson daly. what a couple of tools.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(hardhead @ Nov 16 2007, 02:05 PM) [snapback]365481[/snapback]
Personally I think he's an extremely important asset to Boxing in general because he's a guy that has a grasp of not only Boxing, but today's sports climate/world in general, I definitely think he could be a positive ambassador for the sport in a time where the only publicity we usually get is negative bullshit. We need a guy that knows what he's talking about and can defend/represent out sport well.

the only thing that is an asset to boxing are good fighters and good matchmaking. some goofy analyst isn't going to do shit.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Nov 16 2007, 05:49 PM) [snapback]365509[/snapback]
the only thing that is an asset to boxing are good fighters and good matchmaking. some goofy analyst isn't going to do shit.

You said only thing. You sure about that.

I have always thought that Max was good for the sport. He is what the sport needed then and needs now. Someone young who knows the sport, and is energetic enough to make you want to listen to him. Boxing is not getting any younger and people like Max bring a little life back to the sport.

Boxingjunkie
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Nov 16 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]365537[/snapback]
You said only thing. You sure about that.

I have always thought that Max was good for the sport. He is what the sport needed then and needs now. Someone young who knows the sport, and is energetic enough to make you want to listen to him. Boxing is not getting any younger and people like Max bring a little life back to the sport.

Boxingjunkie

if someone is going to decide whether or not to watch boxing based on some guy who talks about it then they're an idiot. i don't enjoy listening to announcers who are stupid or annoying, but it's not going to stop me from watching and enjoying boxing.

fights are exciting sometimes and boring sometimes, regardless of whether or not max kellerman exists. though his facial hair is pretty sexy, right?
Boxingjunkie
LOL I kinda like it to!!

Boxingjunkie
Yucayeke
IMO, Max is good for boxing. He definitely knows his shit, but he looks like he has a done a bit too many lines before hitting the mike.

The thing that irks me is that none of these fuckers have ever gotten into a ring, yet have the audacity to criticize a fighter when he is finding it hard to dig in when facing a barrage of incoming blows. That is why Big George and Lennox were a good thing to have on the mike.

Over all I like Max and Jim but I also like Larry and Jim
Col Reb
I miss Larry. Max is getting better, but he will never be Larry. Also, what was up with Steward's verbal barbs toward Max in the Cotto fight?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Yucayeke @ Nov 18 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]365711[/snapback]
IMO, Max is good for boxing. He definitely knows his shit, but he looks like he has a done a bit too many lines before hitting the mike.

Max is a cokehead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.