Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GBP offers Calzaghe $8 Million
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
imperial
Bernard Hopkins and Oscar de la Hoya have offered Calzaghe a "buyout offer" to fight Hopkins in America of $16million (8million).

The buyout offer is that GoldenBoyPromotions are the sole promotors of the event with the buyout offer being a flatfee direct to Calzaghe and Warren. An additional $2million will go straight to Frank Warren.

Discuss !!!

caneman
if it's true, it would be hard to turn down for calzaghe. we'll see what the old man has left in the tank. @ that rate, i wonder what X's take will be.
HaydelHammer
If it's Euro he should take it and flip it to 23 mil over here. lol
imperial
Here is what I'd like to know does Calzaghe get to fight Woods first or does he take this fight ?Logically 16 mil is better than anything Woods brings but then again he does need a tune up at Lt heavy ..
JD
Yeah...it is 8 million pounds (~$16 million). There is also a 1 million pound (~$2 million) buyout offer to Warren, meaning GBP does the full promotion of the event.
Nobudius
GBP is quite clever.

Not only do they challenge JC, but FW as well. lol Kinda funny.
imperial
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Nov 17 2007, 08:51 PM) [snapback]365605[/snapback]
GBP is quite clever.

Not only do they challenge JC, but FW as well. lol Kinda funny.

Don't be surprised if Warren and Joe don't end up working for Oscar ..
PR316
I don't think Warren will accept not being able to promote the fight in some way shape or form. That said, 16 million is a shit load of money. I wonder how many tickets will be sold and along with the pay per view buyers considering B Hop isn't a huge draw down here and Calzaghe is only known on that level in Europe.
The Original MrFactor
Just out of Curiosity. How much was Joey's take home for the Kessler fight? It may bew a decent offer, because I imagine Hopkins is gonna want more $$ or parity with Joe, if the fight is across the pond on his soil.
Lil-lightsout
Joe was the one calling out Hopkins after the Kessler fight, therefore Joe should take this offer to fight Bernard. Joe always fights in his hometown his whole career, take a damn chance and come to the U.S and fight a HOF in Hopkins. Bernards legacy is secure, Joe needs this fight if he cares about his. Joe has never fought anyone with near the skill and experience of Bernard, I am curious to see what and if Bernard can do to Joe that 40+ fighters have tried already and failed to beat Joe. Hopefully Hops can pull one more trick out of his bag and defeat Calzaghe.
BrutalBodyShots
What is Calzaghe's career high purse to date?

kidbazooka1
Calzaghe better take it
Yucayeke
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 18 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]365708[/snapback]
Calzaghe better take it

I hope he does in fact take the 16mil - Nothing to sneeze at, plus he will then get to smack the shit out of old snagglepuss once and for all. I can't wait
Boxingjunkie
He would be crazy not to take that kind of money. It does make you wonder what Hopkins purse would be for this. Although I would rather see Joe stay where he is at and see if he can break the 25 title defense mark. He is so close why not. I think there are better fights out there for Joe other than Hopkins.

Boxingjunkie
Maxy
I may be giving Calzaghe too much credit here (credit he doesn't deserve) but if this fight don't happen I think it'll be down to Wank Warren and Bernard Hopkins.

The offer looks good but Warren is going to want to be part of this promotion....if he isn't they will blame Golden Boy for issuing unreasonable demands and probably end up boxing Woods.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(Maxy @ Nov 18 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]365744[/snapback]
I may be giving Calzaghe too much credit here (credit he doesn't deserve) but if this fight don't happen I think it'll be down to Wank Warren and Bernard Hopkins.

The offer looks good but Warren is going to want to be part of this promotion....if he isn't they will blame Golden Boy for issuing unreasonable demands and probably end up boxing Woods.

Good point. Hopkins has been known to call out fighters then back down when he demands more money than he knows he can get.

Boxingjunkie
phatcat
black eye.gif Its a great offa but big ed warren definitely wont take dat
anthonyaccurate
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Nov 18 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]365747[/snapback]
Good point. Hopkins has been known to call out fighters then back down when he demands more money than he knows he can get.

Boxingjunkie

But is that the situation here? Basically, Joe Calzaghe has to decide if fighting Bhop is worth more than Warren's involvement. I fail to see how Bernard is backing down when he made the 16 million dollar offer. Other than possibly Jones, whom he had already fought and lost to, what fighter has he backed down from or called out and not fought because of money? He's offering the money, they (for good reason) don't want Warren involved in the promotion. Why not point out the fact that it is Warren's fighter who seems to make excuses (injuries, "why leave Wales" see Glen Johnson). When has Bernard pulled out of a fight due to "injury" or money?

They made the offer, now the ball is in Joe's court. He's supposed to retire soon anyway, so if this could possibly be his last fight, against a legend like bernard for $16 mil, what difference to his legacy would it make if Warren was involved in the promotion or not? The fight is still the same. Either you want it or not.

Legacy vs. Business
Spyder
It won't be Joe Cal that turns it down, it will be Warren. $2mil ain't shit for him promoting a Joe C show across the pond. It sucks for Calzaghe, but that's what happens when you sign exclusive rights contracts.

GBP definitely made an offer that makes it appear that they want it, but I think that they know Warren won't go for it.
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(anthonyaccurate @ Nov 18 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]365750[/snapback]
But is that the situation here? Basically, Joe Calzaghe has to decide if fighting Bhop is worth more than Warren's involvement. I fail to see how Bernard is backing down when he made the 16 million dollar offer. Other than possibly Jones, whom he had already fought and lost to, what fighter has he backed down from or called out and not fought because of money? He's offering the money, they (for good reason) don't want Warren involved in the promotion. Why not point out the fact that it is Warren's fighter who seems to make excuses (injuries, "why leave Wales" see Glen Johnson). When has Bernard pulled out of a fight due to "injury" or money?

They made the offer, now the ball is in Joe's court. He's supposed to retire soon anyway, so if this could possibly be his last fight, against a legend like bernard for $16 mil, what difference to his legacy would it make if Warren was involved in the promotion or not? The fight is still the same. Either you want it or not.

Legacy vs. Business

Who really knows if this is the situation. You know how we hear offers all the time and then the fight never happens for one reason or the other. Both sides point the finger at each other and accuse the other side of breaking the deal. Lets hope this is a legit offer and that both sides take the offer. We still havent heard Hopkins offer. Wonder what his cut will be. Im ready to see this fight.

Boxingjunkie
buford54
That's a smart move on GBP's part. Huge offer to Calzaghe...low-ball his promoter.
Warren's certainly not above keeping his fighter out of a big fight. Chances are we'll see Joe fighting Tocker Pudwill in a rematch.
Method
Where's the info coming from?

Anway, $16M is, I belienve ~ 3x's more than Joe's made, and more than Hopkins got for fighting DLH (at least pre ppv buys, if not all in). That's a fair fucking offer, man.

IMO, Joe and Frank fucked themselves royally by coming out after the Kessler fight saying "We'll let you dictate all the terms...", "We'll fight you in your backyard if you want...." and blah blah bah. They basically surrendered all negotiating rights.

Now, to be offered $16,000,000...I mean, there's really no excuse for Joe not to fight. And for Frank Warren to be comign out and saying, well Bernrd's not the name and whatever....WTF is this now? What's it got to do with ANYTHING. If he;s not the name, why'd your boy come out calling him out? If he's past it, an old man, then Why has your boy been calling him out for years? It's a joke.

If Joe's cut is$16M. Bernard's is likely a little more, NOT TO MENTION his cut as a promoter as well.
imperial
If this offer is true than Joe really has no reason to turn down a fight like this ..It gives him everything that he needs .Bhops ,the biggest purse of his career and a fight for legacy ! What more does he need ??
JD
It was a type-o.

The offer was actually $8 million (4 million pounds) and $2 million to Warren.
PR316
8 million is still alot of money. I was kinda shocked at that 16 million because if that indeed was the case, I couldn't see a reason for not just Joe, but ANYBODY to turn that down.
Method
$8M IS still a lot for a one-off fight. Where are you guys reading this shit, cuz I haven't seen anything anywhere.
Warlord
QUOTE(PR316 @ Nov 19 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]366121[/snapback]
8 million is still alot of money. I was kinda shocked at that 16 million because if that indeed was the case, I couldn't see a reason for not just Joe, but ANYBODY to turn that down.

I'd fight my grandmama for 16 million.
Col Reb
There's no way they take this deal. That's like offering Cotto 8 mil to fight DLH but saying Arum can't be involved in the promotion. I just don't think the ego of the promoter would allow it. Isn't Warren in an exclusive deal with Joe anyway?
JD
QUOTE(Warlord @ Nov 19 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]366140[/snapback]

No doubt. I would work her to the body...I think I could break her down in less than a round...and there is NO WAY should could match my handspeed. Plus, I have the reach advantage and a good 60 pounds on her.

Man, all I have to say is E-Z Money!
caneman
QUOTE(Warlord @ Nov 19 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]366140[/snapback]

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif you mean larry johnson?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=thbUkBW_ftM
imperial
I just read that Woods and Calzaghe negotiations are on again ..So Bhops might be left with out a dane partner for the time being .
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(imperial @ Nov 20 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]366294[/snapback]
I just read that Woods and Calzaghe negotiations are on again ..So Bhops might be left with out a dane partner for the time being .

Blah.

Method
Laughing my mother fucking ass off at Joe Calzaghe if he fights Clinton Woods. That would be SO par for Joe Calzaghe's course. Fighting that PALOOKA CLinton Woods. PLEASE. He should never mention Hopkins' name again.
BigG
I've seen Clinton once since he get demolished vs. Roy and this cat doesnt have a chance vs Joe. Still the same average fighter.

Chad Dawson would fuck Woods up.
buford54
QUOTE(imperial @ Nov 20 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]366294[/snapback]

Should we have expected anything different?
I so hope that Woods beats Calzaghe into retirement. It won't happen...but I would love to see that if this fight happens.
I really wanted to like Calzaghe...but he's become the new Roy Jones. His career will end with as many big names on his resume as Roy has.
Joe will have a green Lacy and Kessler.
Roy has Toney and Hopkins
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 20 2007, 08:53 PM) [snapback]366342[/snapback]
Laughing my mother fucking ass off at Joe Calzaghe if he fights Clinton Woods. That would be SO par for Joe Calzaghe's course. Fighting that PALOOKA CLinton Woods. PLEASE. He should never mention Hopkins' name again.

If he fights Woods.....man, that would suck.

That fight should've happened years ago....not now by a loooooong shot. Calzaghe needs the BIG names to finish his career off otherwise his legacy will be plauged by 'what ifs' and 'maybes'.
Maxy
Yeah, hopefully its some sorta ploy to speed up negotiations for the Hopkins bout.
Jerry Springer
QUOTE(imperial @ Nov 19 2007, 05:01 PM) [snapback]366098[/snapback]
If this offer is true than Joe really has no reason to turn down a fight like this ..It gives him everything that he needs .Bhops ,the biggest purse of his career and a fight for legacy ! What more does he need ??
A pair of balls.
PR316
Calzaghe's talking trash again. Claims that Hopkins is once again "chickening out" and that he's trying to angle for an eaasy pay day against the Jones/Trinidad winner.

Maybe this will finally make the fucking fight happen?
Blayde
Well, whos more serious calling the other guy out?

The Welsh who says he wants this fight not caring tooo much about the conditions?

Or the old man who wants to do it in Yankee Stadium? biggrin.gif

For not caring about the conditions, they dure have a hard time w a 60/40 split.
JD
QUOTE(Blayde @ Nov 27 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]367177[/snapback]
Well, whos more serious calling the other guy out?

The Welsh who says he wants this fight not caring tooo much about the conditions?

Or the old man who wants to do it in Yankee Stadium? biggrin.gif

I would say the guy who came with the $8 million offer...who also happens to not be the guy currently negotiating to fight someone else.

Forget the Yankee stadium stuff...that is just not going to happen and I chalk it up to wishful thinking.

The Garden is a good place for this fight.
imperial
I think Jones Calzaghe will get made by next year ..Jones has no interest in negotiating w/Hopkins again ..And Bhop might just end up pissing off Warren and Joe therefore preventing any chance of this fight getting made !

I do hope though that cooler heads prevail ..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.