Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: david diaz appears to be the chosen one!
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
mexi-cutioner
http://philboxing.com/news/story-13832.html

LOS ANGELES -- Word has been received by this writer that David Diaz, the WBC lightweight champion will be chosen by Team Pacquiao as his next opponent. The tentative date will be March 15, 2008 but the venue has yet to be decided.

Diaz was chosen over many fighters, notably world champions Juan Manuel Marquez, Juan “Baby Bull” Diaz, and Joan Guzman.

Pacquiao was said to be on his way to Los Angeles then to Las Vegas to meet with Bob Arum to finalize the deal.

More to come ...

What do u guys think of this fight?????? Id rather have Pacquiao fight JMM and Joan Guzman in all honesty, but as long as Pacquiao isfinally fighting for a world title then i guess its goood
kidbazooka1
I think it's safe to say Pac is running from Marquez and Juan Diaz, he can easly make more money fighting them but instead he's chosen to take on the weakest title holder in the divison.
JD
I hope Pac loses.

This is a fight no one has asked for, and no one wants.

torvix2000
If Pacquiao wins, then Juan Manuel Marquez can no longer brag about his world title since Pac would have his own.
BrutalBodyShots
I don't have a problem with this fight, so long as it doesn't mean a long overdue Marquez rematch isn't left back at 130 and forgotten about.

Pac without question has taken on some very good opposition in recent years, so the occasional lesser profile fight like this one I don't think is all that bad, especially since it would be his debut at 135. If he were to fight Juan Diaz in his debut at 135 it would be like throwing him to the wolves. At least if he gets his feet wet with David Diaz he may be able to fight a slightly better fight against Juan.

Don't get me wrong, Pacquiao certainly has unfinished business at 130 with Marquez and that fight would be a much bigger draw fan wise and money wise and I hope he goes down that route first.

Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 20 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]366326[/snapback]
I don't have a problem with this fight, so long as it doesn't mean a long overdue Marquez rematch isn't left back at 130 and forgotten about.

Pac without question has taken on some very good opposition in recent years, so the occasional lesser profile fight like this one I don't think is all that bad, especially since it would be his debut at 135

Took the words out of my mouth. Every fighter deserves a lesser fight every now and then. Lets hope it doesnt put a rematch with Marquez off to long.

Boxingjunkie
singletrack
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 20 2007, 07:34 PM) [snapback]366317[/snapback]
I hope Pac loses.

This is a fight no one has asked for, and no one wants.

JD reading my mind once again.
Lil-lightsout
Sure Pac, take the easy route to a belt. I will let you slide this time, but your next one after that better be Marquez, Diaz, or Guzman.
BigG
Fuckin lame.

I just want to remind people that David Diaz is the same guy that LOST to a SHOT Morales...

And Kendall Holt beat his ass all over the ring from what I've heard.

And Santa Cruz SHUT HIM OUT for 8 or 9 rounds before running out of gas.

This cat Diaz is nothing close to elite.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 20 2007, 09:03 PM) [snapback]366326[/snapback]

Pac without question has taken on some very good opposition in recent years, so the occasional lesser profile fight like this one I don't think is all that bad, especially since it would be his debut at 135. If he were to fight Juan Diaz in his debut at 135 it would be like throwing him to the wolves. At least if he gets his feet wet with David Diaz he may be able to fight a slightly better fight against Juan.

Don't get me wrong, Pacquiao certainly has unfinished business at 130 with Marquez and that fight would be a much bigger draw fan wise and money wise and I hope he goes down that route first.

Well what do you call the Barrera rematch? In my eyes and many here Pac was taking on a much lesser fighter(being that Marco was at the end of his career)that to me was Manny taking an easy fight.

and now David Diaz c'mon
torvix2000
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 21 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]366326[/snapback]

Well, Marquez's camp said that Marquez is willing to pursue Pac at 135!!! Pac has nowhere to go. He wins against David Diaz and Marquez and Juan Diaz will be waiting for him. Should he come down again to 130, Marquez will still be there and Guzman, too.
torvix2000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 21 2007, 06:23 AM) [snapback]366369[/snapback]
Well what do you call the Barrera rematch? In my eyes and many here Pac was taking on a much lesser fighter(being that Marco was at the end of his career)that to me was Manny taking an easy fight.

I was just like you whenever the rematch between MAB and PAC was being avoided by MAB. Don't worry, all the fights that you're hoping for wherein Pac would lose will happen. You'll see.
JD
So let's see...

Morales III
Larios
Solis
Barrera II

Or...

Shot
Old and blown-up
No-hoper
Past it and coming off of a loss

I expected more out of Barrera in there, but his lack of desire to engage told me what I needed to know. Pac is wasting the best years of his career, and just because he entertained us in some great fights, doesn't mean he is above criticism. This fight is just a case of Manny going after the easiest available opponent with a belt.

JM Marquez > David Diaz
Joan Guzman > David Diaz
Edwin Valero > David Diaz
Juan Diaz > David Diaz
Michael Katsidis > David Diaz

This is disappointing.
buford54
Pac gets a pass on this one, in my book. I don't know of many people anymore who move up in weight and fight the top champ (Lil' Floyd did it against Castillo, going from 130 to 135)...but Roy moved up to HW and fought Ruiz, Floyd moved up to 140 against Gatti, etc.
But, if he beats DD, he needs to make the rematch w/ Marquez or take on the other champs.

This is a feeling out fight for him. Obviously his best weight is at 130. He wouldn't let Morales come in at 132 for their 3rd fight, because he knew he had the advantage over a drained fighter at 130.
I'd pick Marquez over him right now. I'd love to see him fight Katsidis. That would be unreal while it lasted.
BigJuicyHog
I think the big difference between Roy and Floyds moves up were that Roy was making history (even against a weaker champion) and Gatti was the big money fight at that weight. Pac is fighting the weakest champ for less money.
BrutalBodyShots
I think a lot of people that are against the potential David Diaz matchup are simply people that want to see Pacquiao lose. Don't feel bad though, because I want to see him lose too =) The sooner the better.

Michigan Assassin
I for one could care less if I ever see a Pac - Marquez rematch, I've already seen that and JMM had a shitload of time to get this rematch done.

I want to see a lot of the interesting matchups that are out there to be made. Diaz is a good first step upto lightweight for Pac.

I he can handle the weight it paves the way for Juan Diaz and some of the other exciting fighters around that weighclass.

And I'd still rather see Soto - Pac than Guzman - Pac do to their styles making an exciting fight.
torvix2000
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 21 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]366476[/snapback]
I think a lot of people that are against the potential David Diaz matchup are simply people that want to see Pacquiao lose.

You nailed it!

Pac will fight Marquez at 135. If he loses, their wish comes true. If not, then Pac will fight Juan Diaz.

And it won't take 4 years!!!
torvix2000
QUOTE(Michigan Assassin @ Nov 22 2007, 03:35 AM) [snapback]366496[/snapback]
And I'd still rather see Soto - Pac than Guzman - Pac do to their styles making an exciting fight.

Somehow, I'd like to see this too. This will be guaranteed SLAMBANG!
BigG
Pac gets a pass IF he fights Marquez, Guzman, or Juan Diaz next..

But Morales was SHOT and had weight problems for that 3rd Pacquiao fight. I mean, Zahir Fuckin Raheem dominated Morales.

I think ANY top fighter from 130-135 would have easily beaten Morales that night. Guzman, Marquez, Barrera, any of them.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 22 2007, 05:30 AM) [snapback]366528[/snapback]
\
But Morales was SHOT and had weight problems for that 3rd Pacquiao fight. I mean, Zahir Fuckin Raheem dominated Morales.

I think ANY top fighter from 130-135 would have easily beaten Morales that night. Guzman, Marquez, Barrera, any of them.

I agree but there were PLENTY of people giving Morales a shot against Pacquiao III. I thought they were absolutely nuts... just as bad as those taking Barrera over Pacquiao II.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.