Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Least Fitting Nicknames
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Snoop
So I was watching ESPN classic and saw Mayorga vs Spinks and during the introductions, I thought the nickname "El Matador" was probably the exact opposite of the type of fighter Mayorga is.

Any others?
Jerry Springer
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 20 2007, 09:07 PM) [snapback]366362[/snapback]
So I was watching ESPN classic and saw Mayorga vs Spinks and during the introductions, I thought the nickname "El Matador" was probably the exact opposite of the type of fighter Mayorga is.

Any others?
Craig "Iron Head" Heyward of the NFL. He died of brain cancer.
JD
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 21 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]366362[/snapback]

Any others?

El Matador's literal translation is actually "The Killer".
singletrack
Oh come on - Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor !?
Boxingjunkie
Lance "Goofy" Whitaker is the worst.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(Jerry Springer @ Nov 21 2007, 01:46 AM) [snapback]366372[/snapback]
Craig "Iron Head" Heyward of the NFL. He died of brain cancer.

Am I a bad person because I laughed at that when I first read it? dntknw.gif
BigJuicyHog
I liked Lance Whittakers nicname as Lance "Mount" Whittaker. And Bad Intentions is not a great nickname for Taylor.
Snoop
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 21 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]366387[/snapback]
El Matador's literal translation is actually "The Killer".

Is it? I remember they used to show clips of bullfighting when talking about Mayorga in one of the pre-fight shows.
JD
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 21 2007, 12:18 PM) [snapback]366415[/snapback]
Is it? I remember they used to show clips of bullfighting when talking about Mayorga in one of the pre-fight shows.

Yeah...I remember that too. But it actually does mean "The Killer"...

Which is a little more fitting, I suppose.
Maxy
Hector "Macho" Camacho.

What's so macho about a geezer who boxed in a skirt and spent a lot of his time running from opponents?
Tha Docta
davaryl "touch of sleep" williamson. although, the nickname seemed very fitting when joe mesi KO'd him in the first round.
Snoop
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Nov 21 2007, 05:57 PM) [snapback]366420[/snapback]
davaryl "touch of sleep" williamson. although, the nickname seemed very fitting when joe mesi KO'd him in the first round.

Or to describe his fight with Chris Byrd. He put most of the viewing audience to sleep with that one.
Snoop
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 21 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]366416[/snapback]
Yeah...I remember that too. But it actually does mean "The Killer"...

Which is a little more fitting, I suppose.

Damn, and I'm the one trying to be fluent in Spanish. LOL.
Big Slim Sweet
Zuri "Fists of Death" Lawrence

Arturo "Duck" Gatti

Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 21 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]366426[/snapback]
Damn, and I'm the one trying to be fluent in Spanish. LOL.

Yup!!
Jerry Springer
Touch of Sleep does have a good punch. He had Wlad down and hurt before their bout ended in a controversial technical decision.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 21 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]366400[/snapback]

No I did too. Then again we could both just be extremely bad human beings.
BrutalBodyShots
James Toney's name hasn't fit him in years since moving up.

Jerry Springer
"Ruthless" Robbie Lawler
Junior "The Hitter" Whitter
Jorge "The Naked Man" Ortiz
Bobby "The Matinee Idol" Czyz
torvix2000
How about Ponce De Leon's which means "NO RUNNER"? And he ran away from Peņalosa in the later rounds. Hahaha!
moscow bear
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 22 2007, 12:47 AM) [snapback]366474[/snapback]
James Toney's name hasn't fit him in years since moving up.

i was going to say something similar, brutal... in fact, i dont think toney had a one-punch ko power in most categories he fought.
STEVENSKI
Anthony "the man" Mundine is not very fitting considering he has a vagina instead of a penis.
basicjab
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Nov 22 2007, 09:09 PM) [snapback]366594[/snapback]
Anthony "the man" Mundine is not very fitting considering he has a vagina instead of a penis.

ha ha ha
Warlord
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Nov 21 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]366400[/snapback]

No, because I busted out laughing right here in the office when I read it. What makes it worse is that everyone looked over at my computer when I did it. Luckily they barely speak english, so they'll never know what a sick bastard I am for laughing at that.

Other nicknames that don't fit are:
"Pretty Boy" Floyd Mayweather. Floyd is ugly as hell, and so is his daddy. Probably his mother too.
James "Lights Out" Toney. Good nickname, but it probably should've been Tyson's though. Toney's should've been, "Talk good trash, win by UD."
"Prince" Naseem Hamed. Another ugly motherfucker. His name should've been "Dumbo" or "Mad" (like the magazine.) Anything except "Prince."
Lennox "The Lion" Lewis. Lennox fought like a scared pussy the majority of his career, as well might he should have, with that weak ass chin of his. Nevertheless, a more apt name would have been Lennox "The Cowardly Lion" Lewis.

That's all I can think of now. More later.
WolfishPromistah
Hitman Hatton? NO. (Don't like it, not when "Hug Man" fits the picture better)

The Boxing Banker is another weak one.
mexi-cutioner
Rey "Boom Boom" Bautista...

unless the two booms in his name stand for the shot landed by de leon right on his jaw and the 2nd boom is the sound made when he dropped down onto the floor lol
ghost13
"Iron Boy" Ivan Calderon.
Spyder
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Nov 21 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]366395[/snapback]
Lance "Goofy" Whitaker is the worst.

Get it right...it's "GOOFi"

laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Does anyone remember exactly when Whitaker changed his nickname from Mount to Goofi? I think it was before the McCline fight, and that fight was kind of the turning point of Whitaker's career (for the worst).

Whitaker had some decent wins against Barrett, Maskaev and Davis and seemed to be a promising contender when he was "Mount" - then he switches to "Goofi" and loses to McCline and from that point on never went anywhere with his career.
buford54
I agree w/ Lennox "The Lion" Lewis...very inappropriate nickname.

Gotta say "Sugar" Shane Mosely. Unlike the previous Sugars, he always comes up short in his big fights, and usually loses the rematch as well.
Chessboxer
QUOTE(buford54 @ Nov 24 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]366853[/snapback]
I agree w/ Lennox "The Lion" Lewis...very inappropriate nickname.

Gotta say "Sugar" Shane Mosely. Unlike the previous Sugars, he always comes up short in his big fights, and usually loses the rematch as well.

Agree w/ Lewis as well.

Others include

"El Matador" Mayorga

Monte "Two Guns" Barrett. The guy has zero pop

Vernon "The Viper" Forrest.. More like Vernon "The Boa Constrictor"FOrrest. The guy has no problems w/ clinching his opponents to death. Although recently has added running to his repetoire.

Spyder
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 24 2007, 12:02 PM) [snapback]366833[/snapback]
Does anyone remember exactly when Whitaker changed his nickname from Mount to Goofi? I think it was before the McCline fight, and that fight was kind of the turning point of Whitaker's career (for the worst).

Whitaker had some decent wins against Barrett, Maskaev and Davis and seemed to be a promising contender when he was "Mount" - then he switches to "Goofi" and loses to McCline and from that point on never went anywhere with his career.

I think you're right...

I remember the buzz surrounding his name change. It was his way to show the kids that you don't have to be a thug to box. That you can have fun and still be a good boxer. I believe that he actually changed his name legally to "GOOFi". I remember that spelling being a big deal to him, that the first four letters be capitalized with a lower case "i".

He also had a group of kids follow him to the ring like he was the Techno Viking. Fucking wierd. dntknw.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Haha, thanks for the info.

Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(buford54 @ Nov 24 2007, 03:06 PM) [snapback]366853[/snapback]

Hmm. Mosley's 2-2 in rematches. And in 3 of those 4 fights most would say his performance improved relative to his opponent's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.