Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vargas vs. Mayorga: Round by Round/Postfight
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2
Jack 1000
This thread is for any round by round results and post fight reactions to Vargas-Mayorga. Please keep all comments in this thread.

Jack

Administrator
thehype
*LIVE* ROUND BY ROUND: VARGAS VS. MAYORGA

Just FYI, in case you guys haven't noticed, our LIVE round by round has moved to it's own page. Get LIVE updates during the fight with in-depth, minute-by-minute action in FightHype's round-by-round results. Coverage begins tonight, November 23rd at 10PM ET/7PM PT.

click here to follow the action
Thegreatequalizer
when i was referring to vargas' boxing ability, i was referring to it in relation to mayorga. i think he's actually gotten a bit better since his early days. once his chin got exposed he's had to learn to be a little bit better of a boxer. but he's still a shot fighter.

as far as mayorga's chin goes, up until the trinidad fight he was taking some good shots. he took some monster shots from trinidad. obviously middleweight was way above his fighting weight at the time. he went down to jr. middle and got rocked by dlh in the first round. now dlh's got some pop, but not the kind that would lead one to believe that he would have that kind of effect against a guy who took so much punishment from trinidad. obviously he isn't ruined like vargas, but he's not taking shots as well as he used to. but it's all part of what makes this fight so interesting: which one of these guys is the crappier, more burned-out fighter?
BrutalBodyShots
DLH didn't really buzz Mayorga so much as he just overwhelmed him with punches. Mayorga was more hurt from Trinidad than he was DLH, regardless of the fight against DLH being stopped sooner.

pastor method
mayorga was more than buzzed by dlh. and it wasn't an accumulation etiher. dlh dropped him with a single left hook in the first.

mayorga toughed it out and the eventual stoppage was an accumulation, but there's no doubt that dlh hurt him... a lot worse than a lot of people (myself included) expected too.
BrutalBodyShots
I don't put much stock into first round knockdowns as many guys can get caught cold and go down early.
BigG
Vargas down in round 1.

Mayorga 10-8.
BigG
Round 2 was close but Mayorga's..

Vargas is shot as fuck..
CyruS
Vargas is a walking corpse.
gods son
i see this getting stopped in round 5..

Vargas is slow and flabby!
BigG
Vargas has his best round...You can give that to him.

Mayorga 29-27.

BigG
Thats Vargas round.

38-37 Mayorga
BigG
Hmm...Vargas landed the cleaner harder punches in roun 5. But Mayorga a lil more active IMO. I dont know. Maybe even.

48-47 Mayorga
BigG
Good round for Vargas. Vargas landing all the clean hard blows.

57-57 even.
BigG
Round 7 is clearly Mayorga's...Vargas didn't do much that round.

67-66 Mayorga
BigG
Mayorga was winning the first 2 minutes but Vargas landed the best clean punches in the last minute including a very good right hand which had Mayorga holding. I'll give it to Mayorga.

77-75 Mayorga.
BigG
Vargas round.....landed alot of clean blows to the head..

86-85 Mayorga
BigG
Nando's round.

95-95.
BrutalBodyShots
I've got it 6-6 in rounds, but 114-112 Mayorga due to the two knockdowns.

LOL Vargas slips and can't make it up onto the ropes in the corner to celebrate.

Waiting on official scores now...

BigG
105-103 Mayorga....Vargas domianting then Mayorga knocks him down in 11.

Vargas wins round 12...

114-113 Mayorga

Good fight.
BrutalBodyShots
Well I was right about one thing and wrong about one thing...

I was wrong that this fight wouldn't go the distance.

I was right that Mayorga could take punches better than Vargas could.

I saw Vargas hurt in rounds 1, 2, 3 and 7.

The CEO
lol...they went the full 12...according to Hype's RBR, Mayorga wins the decision...
BrutalBodyShots
Official scores:

113-113

115-111 Mayorga

114-112 Mayorga

Winner Mayorga by MD.

BigG
Mayorga MD...

Good fight....

Vargas is shot.

In his prime, he would have handled Mayorga
The CEO
oooooo...a Majority Decision is the the official result...

Mayorga wins....113-113, 114-112, 115-111

yes2.gif
dbdbdb
113-113 .......... The judge that scored it even should never judge another fight.

Or

He should be tested for drug use immediately.
Mean Mister Mustard
I tell you, the word "Shot" is thrown around very loosely around the message boards and in the media but I think you can call Vargas shot. The man was doing great on the inside and then, either because he was tired or afraid of getting caught, he stopped that.

Mayorga didn't look too good either and this talk of going back down to 147 is BS. Maybe he can fight Karmazin at 154.
BigG
Vargas announces his retirement. Says Mayorga was the better man tonight and he gave him his props...Thanks the fans

It was a pretty good fight.

Thanks for the memories Fernando.
BrutalBodyShots
Karmazin would easily beat Mayorga at 154.

Method
So I guess George breaks out the knee pads for Mayorga now...as is his trend.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 24 2007, 01:07 AM) [snapback]366768[/snapback]

LOL
BigG
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 24 2007, 06:07 AM) [snapback]366768[/snapback]

Is this gonna be the typical method post after every fight? I'll say this: I like to root for more then one fighter...I dont think theres anything wrong with that. I dont just have a creepy obssesion for one particular fighter like some people.

But maybe Methods posting drunk again....as usual laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Pretty shitty commentary that we got tonight. Rich Morratta? I have not heard this guy since Sunday Night Fights on Fox Sports Net back in the mid-late 90's. Didn't even realize he was still around.

Anyway, they kept talking about Mayorga fighting such a great fight and a "controlled" fight compared to his norm. I saw no difference from the usual Mayorga... only that it had been a year and a half since his last fight. Come on... you've got a past prime guy fighting 2-3 divisions above his best class that hasn't fought in a year and a half - obviously he's not going to look exactly the way you remember him in his prime a few years ago. Mayorga looked EXACTLY the same as he always did in the past, just a notch slower and a notch less output due to the reasons I've already mentioned.
BigG
Yeah....I thought both looked ordinary...Mayorga definitely belongs at 154...
Method
Yeah, as long as you continue to get down on your knees for the flavor of the week/month, you will continue to be called on it.

Let me guess, you watched with a room full of Nicaraguans this time....

....anyway....

....all kidding aside, that ref should never be allowed to ref again either....stopping the fight in the second round and reprimanding Mayorga for instigating? I mean, what the fuck is that? That is some hen house horse shit.

By the way, Brute....I thought Morrotta was good. Very insightful, IMO.

Also, not for nothing, but hearing Roy Jones behind the mic made me realize just how much of a wasted talent he is for not being picked up as a permanent ringside analyst. The guy knows his shit....knows how to call it, and gets it across articulately.
BrutalBodyShots
I'm really surprised that this fight went the distance, especially considering the first round. Vargas was knocked down and had no legs after 3 minutes. I thought for sure Mayorga would stop him within the next few rounds.

So what's next for Mayorga? Certainly he could head back to 147 and land a fight against one of the losers of the big fights coming up. I'm not sure I see too many beatable opponents at 147 for Mayorga however. Well, except Cintron considering his performance tonight... LOL.

BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 24 2007, 01:15 AM) [snapback]366775[/snapback]
....all kidding aside, that ref should never be allowed to ref again either....stopping the fight in the second round and reprimanding Mayorga for instigating? I mean, what the fuck is that? That is some hen house horse shit.

Yeah I thought that was pretty damn stupid of him to interrupt the action during some very minor showmanship. It wasn't like Mayorga was instigating INSTEAD of fighting; he was simply mixing it in to his work and trying to make a fight.

By the way, Brute....I thought Morrotta was good. Very insightful, IMO.

I didn't have a problem with him, other than I thought he was completely incorrect about his view of Mayorga in the bout. Just pointing out I have not seen Rich in nearly 10 years and was surprised to see him resurface for this telecast.

Also, not for nothing, but hearing Roy Jones behind the mic made me realize just how much of a wasted talent he is for not being picked up as a permanent ringside analyst. The guy knows his shit....knows how to call it, and gets it across articulately.

Roy certainly could hang them up at any given time and have a career in commentary. What I thought was funny though was that Jones clearly wasn't there to commentate... he had on a sweater and looked to be there as a fan - I felt like the unorthodox commentating team snatched him up to more or less boost their presence.

KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
This was an excellent fight, and a damn good boxing card. I made it home in time just as round 2 started of the Karmazin fight. Mayorga fought better than he did against DLH I thought. He was a little less wild, and his shots were a tad straighter at times. I thought Mayorga won 115-111. He set the pace early, and then took it over late with the knockdown. Vargas looked shot tonight, but he's still courageous as hell. He took some shots in the first 3 rounds that would of took out some fighters, but he came back and took over in rounds 4,5,6. He got outworked in rounds 7 and 8, but Vargas was taking over that fight in the late rounds. He looked more energized, and the better fighter in rounds 9,10, and for 2:45 of round 11. That knockdown won Mayorga the fight. It'll be interesting to see Mayorga's next move. Thanks Vargas for the great career and memories.
Kyle
BigG
I think Roy was the best experct commentator HBO ever had...better then Foreman for sure, better then Lennox, and bettern then Stewart....Roy has also put Merchant in his place a few times.
Method
...and I take it that Jones / Trinidad will be on Showtime, being that Jones was commentating, Trinidad was ringside, and King was all over the place. Has to be on SHO PPV.
JD
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 24 2007, 01:37 AM) [snapback]366785[/snapback]
...and I take it that Jones / Trinidad will be on Showtime, being that Jones was commentating, Trinidad was ringside, and King was all over the place. Has to be on SHO PPV.

Negative, it's an HBO PPV.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Actually I believe they have already announced Tito-Jones on HBOPPV. And you are very correct about Roy announcing. I loved his commentating during the Cintron-Feliciano fight. He knows what he's talking about.
Kyle
Kijis Konar
I felt Mayorga-Vargas was a very good fight. Quite entertaining. Mayorga fought very well considering the circumstances and Vargas fought valiantly, but not only he's very past his best- he needs to leave the game quick- his speech is not what it used to be... it reminded me of Ali in 1978, when he was interviewed by Cossell in his hotel room before the Spinks II match. Howard noticed that Ali's speech was slower and kinda softer, and he asked him if he was tired of all the training because he sounded so "calm"... Well, that's how Vargas sounds now.

kidbazooka1
Good fight i think the bogus KD in the 1st and the KD in the 11th cost Vargas the fight either way it was a pretty entertaining fight.

Mayo actualy didn't look as wild as before but he should definitly move down in weight for his next fight.

Overall prett damn good fight by these two.
BigG
I'd like to see Mayorga fight Quartey....that would be another fun fight between 2 guys past their peak.
Imperius3
Sounds like a good scrap. I guess Mayorga had a little more in the tank after all.

Maybe we can see Mayorga-Forrest III or Mayorga-Karmazin next. Or maybe Mayorga-Simms or Mayorga-Alcine.
Mister Saint Laurent
i don't care whether mayorga goes to 147 or 154 as long as he's fighting for a world title. if that means a rematch with spinks, so be it.

as for it being a showtime PPV that hyped an HBO PPV, showtime distributed the PPV but did not produce it. the telecast itself was produced in house and showtime probably didn't have much say over the content.
Thegreatequalizer
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 24 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]366782[/snapback]
I think Roy was the best experct commentator HBO ever had...better then Foreman for sure, better then Lennox, and bettern then Stewart....Roy has also put Merchant in his place a few times.

unfortunately, hbo had to let jones go because they had to make room in preparation of max kellerman's ego. it's okay though, kellerman's better for the sport than roy is anyway, right!?!?!?! ha ha.
caneman
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 24 2007, 01:39 AM) [snapback]366787[/snapback]
Negative, it's an HBO PPV.

true dat! good bye vargas plz take zab judah with you laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(JaRaNDa @ Nov 24 2007, 02:22 AM) [snapback]366796[/snapback]
but I did'nt miss Cintron injuring himself after the fight LmFAO!!!! manny has a slight look of disgust in cintron after embarrising himself and only went over to help when he was called over lol!

Huh? I must have missed that. All I heard was Cintron say he hurt his hand with the first right hand he landed in the fight. How did he hurt himself after the fight?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.