Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jesse Feliciano made a new fan tonight
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
I know the policy about duplicate threads, but i had to make this. Watching Jesse Feliciano fight was incredible. This guy has so much heart, and fights with a lot of passion. He was an overmatched opponent, but gave his all and made for one hell of a fight. I thought he may of gotten the decision if the fight had gone to the cards. Ive seen him fight before, and followed him slightly before, but didn't think he'd give that kind of effort. I dont know about you all, but id love to see him against on ESPN or even Showtime again. Great performance Jesse Feliciano
Kyle
BrutalBodyShots
I had it a very close fight at the time of stoppage, but I wouldn't say I'm a Feliciano fan.

NEVER in all of my years of watching boxing have I seen a guy throw so many weak arm punches. There were times that he would throw punches that were SO soft that they would literally just push the head back of Cintron. Had he put just a little more on his punches he probably could have made something happen as even with them being weak as hell they were discouraging Cintron. I've never seen Feliciano fight before, so I have no clue if this is his norm or not.

BigG
I remember seeing him against Mike Arnotous a few years ago and he got layed out in a round but he showed his toughness in this fight...He's got heart.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Well, in his last fight he was down on the cards BIG against Delvin Rodriguez. He had lost every round going into the 8th round, and then Feliciano knocked him out. It was nuts. He does through a high volume of punches and tries to outwork his opponents. He's fought Alfonso Gomez three times, including a draw in the last one. I dont think he should of gone out there and bombed away either. I think he knew what he was doing in there. He tried to outwork Cintron, and it damn near worked. Earlier in his career he gave very tough fights to Mohammed Abdullaev when his was good, and an excellent fight to Al Speedy Gonzalez when he was a prospect coming up. Many thought he beat Gonzalez in fact. He had a good string of victories to get to this fight, and he made the best of it.
Kyle
BrutalBodyShots
Feliciano doesn't throw a high volume of punches - he throws a high volume of pushes.

LOL

thefloatingmonkey
I started laughing during the second or third round, when Feliciano started throwing punches. It looked so ridiculous.
Snoop
Feliciano has a great chin and a lot of heart but that's about all there is to him.
kidbazooka1
He was fighting the fight if his life he showed alot of heart.
Tha Docta
all this fight showed me is that cintron is not a top 147lb fighter. if a man that had zero power (feliciano) could pressure cintron and give him fits, he will never be able to beat margarito. cotto tears him to shreds as well.
Method
Feliciano got robbed...not like he should have won the fight, but he got totally jobbed with the stoppage. all he walked through all night withought as much as a word from the ref...and always returning fire....it just seem,ed they were looking for a reason to stop that fight.

Manny Steward sucks too.
Lil-lightsout
Method-What is your take on the Cintron-Hopkins sparring session a couple years back? Reports say Cintron held his own and gave just as good as he got. Is this true, or was Hopkins taking it easy on him. Do you even know anything about this? Just curious how he hung with Bernard(only sparring), but can not seem to handle pressure from smaller inferior fighters.
Boxingjunkie
Was it just me or did Feliciano seem like he was already slurring his words at the end of the fight?? The kid is tough but the kind of shots he takes will be devistating. He takes harder shots better than Gatti ever did. Manny Steward does not suck.

Boxingjunkie
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 24 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]366884[/snapback]
Feliciano got robbed...not like he should have won the fight, but he got totally jobbed with the stoppage. all he walked through all night withought as much as a word from the ref...and always returning fire....it just seem,ed they were looking for a reason to stop that fight.

Gotta disagree with you there Method. All night Feliciano never took more than 2-3 power shots in combination without throwing back or swarming Cintron. In the final sequence Cintron landed 13 unanswered shots and Feliciano was getting knocked around like a rag doll. He wasn't attempting to block the shots or throw back, so the ref really doesn't have much of a choice at that point. Feliciano knew he was getting destroyed at the end as well clearly as he didn't protest the stoppage at all.

BrutalBodyShots
If I ever go on a camping trip or something I'm going to get in touch with Feliciano and invite him along. Gauranteed there wouldn't be any annoying flies all weekend long thanks to the kids superior swatting skills.

Snoop
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 25 2007, 07:44 AM) [snapback]366909[/snapback]
Gotta disagree with you there Method. All night Feliciano never took more than 2-3 power shots in combination without throwing back or swarming Cintron. In the final sequence Cintron landed 13 unanswered shots and Feliciano was getting knocked around like a rag doll. He wasn't attempting to block the shots or throw back, so the ref really doesn't have much of a choice at that point. Feliciano knew he was getting destroyed at the end as well clearly as he didn't protest the stoppage at all.

I gotta agree with you here too Brutal. When I first watched the fight in real-time, I thought it was a pre-mature stoppage only because it was weird to see the ref step in after a barrage a punches in comparison to the rest of the fight, but also because the 14 unanswered punches came in stanzas, rather than all at once. Still though, after watching the replay, you could see he was being hurt progressively with each flurry of punches that followed and he didn't respond after ANY of them, unlike the rest of the fight. Feliciano himself had no complaints about the stoppage and neither do I.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Nov 25 2007, 01:41 PM) [snapback]366965[/snapback]
I gotta agree with you here too Brutal. When I first watched the fight in real-time, I thought it was a pre-mature stoppage only because it was weird to see the ref step in after a barrage a punches in comparison to the rest of the fight, but also because the 14 unanswered punches came in stanzas, rather than all at once. Still though, after watching the replay, you could see he was being hurt progressively with each flurry of punches that followed and he didn't respond after ANY of them, unlike the rest of the fight. Feliciano himself had no complaints about the stoppage and neither do I.

Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Also I forgot to mention that at some point during the fight, maybe the 5th round or so Feliciano did a little Roy Jones roll with his hand like a softball pitcher winding up - it was funny as hell.

Method
Ill get back tou you tomorrow on the sparring sessions, Lightsout. Real quick, I think it was embellished by Team Cintron at the time, but I'lll get back to you tomorrow. Turning in...
Elijah
Dude can certainly take a punch that's for sure. I don't think there are very many boxers at 147 that could have taken a lot of the shots Cintron landed. Most would have been layed out. Other than that Feliciano didn't show me much at all.

Kermit isn't ready for Paul Williams though. He needs to work on fighting on the inside and work the body more. Hopefully he doesn't take the fight with Williams as his next opponent.

I do however think Cintron can give a more competitive fight against Williams than most people think. Williams will not fight anywhere near the same way that Feliciano did. Williams will look to keep Cintron on the end of his punches instead of fight on the inside (Cintrons weakness). This could be a bad way for Williams to approach the fight though. If he's smart he'll fight Cintron exactly like Feliciano did but if he doesn't then he will give Cintron the ability to throw and keep Williams on the end of his punches. Basically whoever fights better on the inside of this fight will win. At this point after seeing Cintron fight the way he did on the inside against Feliciano I think Williams will win.
BigG
You hear that Cintron gives Hopkins a good fight but then again I read that he QUIT vs Six Heads Lewis in sparring. Cintron will never be elite.
Elijah
"You hear that Cintron gives Hopkins a good fight but then again I read that he QUIT vs Six Heads Lewis in sparring. Cintron will never be elite."

Haha, you believe everything you read huh. A lot of people said the same thing about Cotto too.
BigJuicyHog
I have always liked Feliciano as a fighter. He always seemed to come to fight and had alot of heart. I have the second fight with him and Gomez on tape. He probably should have lost, but he was actually considered a better prospect at that point I think. Feliciano should have never been in this fight (both literally and figuratively) as he didnt really deserve a shot and shouldnt have lasted more than a couple of rounds. I look forward to seeing him opening some ESPN cards in the future.
MarzB
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 26 2007, 12:02 AM) [snapback]367040[/snapback]
Ill get back tou you tomorrow on the sparring sessions, Lightsout. Real quick, I think it was embellished by Team Cintron at the time, but I'lll get back to you tomorrow. Turning in...

Funny you mention this (on the heels of what I just wrote about Floyd and Hatton sparring partners no less) because I not only remember the story about Kermit and Hop's sparring session but the video lead in to it and you talking about how calls were made to "dead" what was said. I don't remember anything negative being said about Hop it was just that Kermit held his own.

That said, I'll give Jesse props also because this goes back to that old preparation adage. During the fight they mentioned how he trained harder for this fight than any other fight and I forgot some of the techniques they described . But it showed because while he isn't that skilled, he absorbed an awful lot of punishment early and was able to dish it out to Kermit later.

If you can absorb punishment and still sustain your power, you're in pretty damn good shape and he demonstrated that. If only he had more skills and knew about fight strategy (like going to Cintron's body since he chose to fight an inside fight. Dumb ass) the fight may have gone to distance.

I'm glad that happened to a Manny Stewart fighter because he was so "conflicting" during the bout with his corner advice, I was saying, "yeah, the world will see that Manny isn't what he's all cracked up to be". I can't wait to hear his SPIN about that fight.

As for Kermit regardless if he took Jesse lightly, this isn't good for him AT ALL. I also believe that hand thing was part acting at the end of the fight..

Method
Funny you mention this (on the heels of what I just wrote about Floyd and Hatton sparring partners no less) because I not only remember the story about Kermit and Hop's sparring session but the video lead in to it and you talking about how calls were made to "dead" what was said. I don't remember anything negative being said about Hop it was just that Kermit held his own.
Calls were made to "dead" what was said? English bro.

MarzB
QUOTE(Method @ Nov 28 2007, 12:08 PM) [snapback]367356[/snapback]
Calls were made to "dead" what was said? English bro.

"English"?? Alright

"Dead" means what?? Done, stop, finished, over. ..

I recall (and I could be wrong) you saying that some variation of telephone calls were made by the Hopkins camp to settle what was being communicated to media regarding the sparring session.
Method
Naaah.

I remember one of the Kaufman's (maybe Travis...cuz I am sure it wasn't Marshal) and also Cintron's conditioner coming on the boards specifically talking about Kermit getting the best of Hopkins in sparring, and perhaps (don't remember clearly, but pretty sure) even mentioning a knockdown, and that the sessions got too heated and the two needed to be separated.

I was in Hopkins camp (the Miami portion a few weeks later) and as he was getting taped up, I inquired about the sparring and mentioned all the rumblings from Cintron's team to him and Naazim. Matter of factly, their jaws dropped in disbelief...so much so that an animated Hopkins got up to get them on the phone to call them out. Being that I was there to cover camp and not distract with any side show bullshit, I kinda talked them down and changed the subject. Hopkins and Naazim were adamant that the ONLY person from Cintron's team present was Marshal Kaufman, and therefore anyone else coming out taking about witnessing the sparring was full of shit. Whether true or not, that's what they stood by. Like I said, I was just there to cover camp, not to come in there distracting them with petty bullshit, so I dumbed it down.

Later on in that camp, I had ~ 2 hour conversation with Naazim after one of the training sessions and we discussed it (also discussed the Charles Brewer/Hopkins sparring sessions), and Naazim refuted it all, again saying that he loved Kermit, knew Kermit, but that's not the way it went down. Naaz apparently told Bernard to take it easy on him...not saying he did...just saying that apparently it was good work, and that was it. Kerm gave solid work.

Marz, I know you mentioned talking to Naazim in a diff thread, and if so, then I know you'll agree with me that Team Hopkins (Naazim, Bouie, Bernard, etc.) are VERY professional and clinical when it comes to sparring. Bernard is in there to work on things, to get in solid work. You know this. It is perfectly in line with your post in that other thread. They always tret their partners good and are in there to do solid work, not to show the up or to kill anyone.

I have seen Bernard go in there and not thor punches for rounds at a time vs Travis/Tarvis Simms, and then, after three rounds, PAP PAP PAP PAP....explosive punches and you look up and all the sudden the dude comes alive and switches up strategies.

What really happened in those sparring sessions, I don't know. I wasn't there. But according to Naaz and Hopkins, neither were the people coming in and claiming they witnessed it. I tend to believe those guys, only becuase I saw them ready to call Marshall Kaufman to call them out on it.

No trying to start any kind of shit on this between anyone who may read it. This was a few years ago and is completely inconsequential.

Naaz and I did discuss the aspect of sparring when you have up and coming future stars of the sport get sparring shots agaisnt current staprs and champions, the current champ/star may approach sparring with clinical intentions to work on a certain aspect - defense, slipping, footwork etc., where the up and comer looks at it like a title shot...a coming out party.

That's all I really can tell about what I know.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(MarzB @ Nov 28 2007, 02:27 AM) [snapback]367321[/snapback]
If you can absorb punishment and still sustain your power, you're in pretty damn good shape and he demonstrated that.

Feliciano has power? The dude SWATS FLIES and "punches" (pushes) in slow motion.
MarzB
Think you're taking my power comment a little to literally. I said "YOUR POWER" but that said, its obvious those punches had something on them because Kermit wasn't walking through them and it took him 10 rounds to finish him off (which was my point)..
BrutalBodyShots
No way they had ANYTHING on them. Pushing your opponents head back with your fist doesn't do damage. It looks amusing though. It is certainly more annoying and damaging. I can't think of anyone ever in the history of the sport that pushes their punches like Feliciano. I can't remember the last time that I laughed out loud so many times during a fight. No props to Feliciano for his punching in any way - the only thing he gets props for in my book are his chin/heart. All this fight showed me was the Cintron cannot deal with adversity, nothing more.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.