Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marquez/Pacquiao II March 15th
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Elijah
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=3133494

Pacquiao can forget about a potential match against Oscar cuz he's not gonna beat Marquez.
BigG
Pac-Marquez is a SUPERFIGHT....What a fight..hope the winner fights Guzman too.
Southeastpaw
Now this is a rematch that matters. Give me Marquez to beat Pac then I would love to see Marquez take guzman down....
Southeastpaw
Here is my top 3 P4Pers before the March 15th:

Mayweather
Pac
Marquez

And after March 15th:

Mayweather
Marquez
Pac

......notice that Mayweather is still atop the list. wink.gif
Big Slim Sweet
Just saw this. Exellent news. I like Pac to win.
Lil-lightsout
The first fight was great, I expect this one to be no different. Then who ever wins this fight will step up and fight the real champ at jr. lightweight, GUZMAN!!!
torvix2000
Yahoo!

Pacquiao will lose!
Pacquiao will lose!
Pacquiao will lose!

Hahaha!!!
torvix2000
I thought Arum and Pac are too afraid of Marquez?
Jack 1000
I will take Pacman again!

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
Marquez by CLEAR decision.

mexi-cutioner
lol i love how the majority of people on this forum expect Pacquiao to lose. FIrst off, Pacquiao has made HUGE improvements since his first fight with Marquez while Marquez on the other hand has not imporved at the same level Pacquiao has, and his fight with Barrera in march was very close while Pacquiao seemed to have a much easier time handling Barrera. i expect a Pacquiao win, if not by TKO then by Decision!!!I cant wait yahoo.gif
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Nov 29 2007, 07:39 PM) [snapback]367628[/snapback]
lol i love how the majority of people on this forum expect Pacquiao to lose. FIrst off, Pacquiao has made HUGE improvements since his first fight with Marquez while Marquez on the other hand has not imporved at the same level Pacquiao has, and his fight with Barrera in march was very close while Pacquiao seemed to have a much easier time handling Barrera. i expect a Pacquiao win, if not by TKO then by Decision!!!I cant wait yahoo.gif

Styles.

Pac has improved. but I would not say by leaps and bounds. And i do not think that he improved enough to beat Marquez. Marquez will be ready for the jump this time and will win in a decisive manner this time. Everyone knows that if you took away round one of thier first bout, Marquez won. But that first round was a doozey. Take into consideration that Marquez was fighting the rest of that entire fight with a broken nose and swallowing blood.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Nov 29 2007, 07:44 PM) [snapback]367630[/snapback]
Styles.

Pac has improved. but I would not say by leaps and bounds. And i do not think that he improved enough to beat Marquez. Marquez will be ready for the jump this time and will win in a decisive manner this time. Everyone knows that if you took away round one of thier first bout, Marquez won. But that first round was a doozey. Take into consideration that Marquez was fighting the rest of that entire fight with a broken nose and swallowing blood.

Marquez showed a HUGE heart in getting up after three knockdowns in that first round. For him to come back the rest of the fight considering those circumstances, he has a great chance of winning the rematch.
BrutalBodyShots
I think Marquez hurts Pac more than Pac hurts Marquez in this fight.

mexi-cutioner
This time around, u hv to agree that Pacquiao is not as much of a one dimensional fighter as he once was. He has power in both arms, not just his left, his defence has improved as well and hes alot more patient and doesn't just throw in fluries leaving him wide open which costed him in the Marquez fight. Alot of people thoguht Pacquiao fought terribly against Barrera, but i thoguht that it showed signs of an improved fighter as he was much more patient with his combos and attack and had better defence. If Pacquiao does not get distracted during training this time around and focuses, he will win vs Marquez liek i suspect he will on march 15th.
X3_Bazooka_X3
The way Manny has looked in recent fights lets be honest I think Marquez has looked better in recent fights, in fact Pacquiao IMO got hit way too much by Solis not only that but Solis with his Maussa like style of slipping he made Manny miss alot as well.
I like Marquez by a clear UD
kidbazooka1
I actualy don't think Pac has improved that much since the 1st fight. Yes he looked great in beating Morales and Barrera but Morlaes had already suffered a lose to Raheem and Barrera to Marquez before Manny was able to beat them and even at that we all knew Barrera was just a shadow of his former self.

The same goes for Marquez i haven't seen much improvement in his game either but I don't think he needs it he already has the style to beat Pac.

I see Marquez taking a UD in a back and forth battle.
torvix2000
Pacquiao looked "terrible" against MAB in their rematch because MAB has thoroughly studied Pac's style and borrowed some from Juan Manuel's.

Some people are just looking at how Marquez has outboxed Pacquiao but not in which rounds. Rounds 1-2 belong to Pacquiao. Rounds 3 to 6 belong to Marquez and Pac was at a loss and was completely shut out. However, rounds 7 to 12 (second half of the fight), both were toe to toe again. It wasn't that Pac did not do some figuring out.

The rematch will look like the 2nd half of their first fight. Intense pressure with nose breaking shots. Only this time, Marquez is a tad slower while Pac improved a little... just a little bit according to his "haters".
torvix2000
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 30 2007, 06:19 AM) [snapback]367705[/snapback]
I actualy don't think Pac has improved that much since the 1st fight. Yes he looked great in beating Morales and Barrera but Morlaes had already suffered a lose to Raheem and Barrera to Marquez before Manny was able to beat them and even at that we all knew Barrera was just a shadow of his former self.

MAB did well against Marquez. If that's a MAB who's just a shadow of his former self then what that leaves Marquez?

Morales was beaten by Raheem in what fashion? Did Raheem punish Morales to take years away from him? It wasn't a fight. It could be considered a sparring match for Morales in the same way that Velazquez was a sparring match for Pacquiao.

BigG
I never really pick against Manny but to me Marquez is very capable of giving him a loss...Guzman too.

Marquez-Barrera wasn't as close as people say IMO. Marquez was just a little better all night.
xxxxxx
I like Pac-man in this one.
BrutalBodyShots
Unless Pacquiao can magically produce 3 knockdowns or so in the first round or two I don't see him piling up enough points to take a win on the cards.

I personally don't think Marquez will get overwhelmed with Pacquiao's speed again in the first - this time he will be prepared for it.

buford54
I go w/ Marquez. Manny seems to have improved, but at the same time, his opposition (Morales) deteriorated.
Marquez is on the top of his game and I don't think he'll get caught w/ anything stupid this time.
Southeastpaw
The rematch will look like the 2nd half of their first fight. Intense pressure with nose breaking shots. Only this time, Marquez is a tad slower while Pac improved a little... just a little bit according to his "haters".

I have seen no signs of Marquez being slower. When did his slowing down become evident to you? Also Marquez will (most likely) not be fighting with a busted up nose and swallowing blood.
BigG
I actually think MANNY has lost some speed...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Nov 30 2007, 02:39 AM) [snapback]367712[/snapback]
MAB did well against Marquez. If that's a MAB who's just a shadow of his former self then what that leaves Marquez?

Morales was beaten by Raheem in what fashion? Did Raheem punish Morales to take years away from him? It wasn't a fight. It could be considered a sparring match for Morales in the same way that Velazquez was a sparring match for Pacquiao.

Style's make fights Marquez style is bad for Pac thats all.

BigG
You hear what Manny said on the frontpage...

Freddie Roach: "I asked Manny why he didn't try to finish Barrera and he told me "Well, it was his last fight, and I didn't want to embarrass him".

LOL...
Jack 1000
QUOTE(torvix2000 @ Nov 30 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]367709[/snapback]
Pacquiao looked "terrible" against MAB in their rematch because MAB has thoroughly studied Pac's style and borrowed some from Juan Manuel's.

Some people are just looking at how Marquez has outboxed Pacquiao but not in which rounds. Rounds 1-2 belong to Pacquiao. Rounds 3 to 6 belong to Marquez and Pac was at a loss and was completely shut out. However, rounds 7 to 12 (second half of the fight), both were toe to toe again. It wasn't that Pac did not do some figuring out.

Agreed,

Pacquiao-Marquez I was a close fight that Manny would have won if judge Burt Clements had scored round 1 as a 10-6 round instead of 10-7.

Remember he thought the Nevada Commission hated 10-6 rounds, when it was actually that they hated EVEN rounds. As I recall, I had Manny ahead by a point or two. Judge Guy Jutras had Marquez taking almost all the rounds, except for the multiple knockdowns in round 1. To this day, I don't think that was a fair scorecard.

It's hard to see how anyone can hate Pacquiao while really liking Marquez. It is Manny with the punch and the power. I pick Manny to win again with MAYBE A KNOCKDOWN OR TWO DECIDING A CLOSE DECISION! WOOOO HOOOOO! This is a great fight!

Jack

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 30 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]367875[/snapback]
You hear what Manny said on the frontpage...

Freddie Roach: "I asked Manny why he didn't try to finish Barrera and he told me "Well, it was his last fight, and I didn't want to embarrass him".

LOL...

Manny is full of sh*t. Thats the thing about some Pinoy's they don't know how to give credit.

My fiance who happens to be filipino even admits to this.
mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 30 2007, 07:23 PM) [snapback]367903[/snapback]
Manny is full of sh*t. Thats the thing about some Pinoy's they don't know how to give credit.

My fiance who happens to be filipino even admits to this.

everyone has their own opinions, but no need to bring race onto this forum

save that commenting for youtube vids lol laugh.gif
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Nov 30 2007, 06:33 AM) [snapback]367753[/snapback]
Marquez-Barrera wasn't as close as people say IMO

It was definitely closer than Paq-Barrera 2.

I think way too much is being made of the supposed 'shut out' Marquez pitched post round one. Like someone else here said, the second half of the fight was a lot closer than people are saying. Manny was by no means helpless in there.

The vocal majority on this board seem to me to be very much pro-boxer, anti-puncher. I think that bias affects the way certain fights are recalled, and this appears to be one of those instances. Remember, Pacquiao should have won their first fight if one of those judges didn't have his head up his ass about scoring knockdowns.

I believe Marquez has slowed down a bit, particularly, his defense is not as strong as it once was. Pacman seems to be spreading himself thin and focusing less on boxing than before, and that's certainly a negative indicator for his long term future, but I don't think he takes this fight unless he's willing to put in 100% the whole way. And physically, the Manny of today is a superior fighter to the Manny of 2004.

People are saying that Marquez will be more prepared for Pacman's initial onslaught and won't get caught off guard early like last time. No doubt that's true. But I also think Manny, after having come so close to scoring a 1st round KO, took his foot off the gas just a little bit. Why wouldn't he be more prepared this time around for Marquez' style and resilience?

I don't think the rematch will look anything like their first fight. I like Pacquiao a lot in this one. I may even be leaning right now towards a late round KO.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 1 2007, 04:32 PM) [snapback]367970[/snapback]
It was definitely closer than Paq-Barrera 2.

I think way too much is being made of the supposed 'shut out' Marquez pitched post round one. Like someone else here said, the second half of the fight was a lot closer than people are saying. Manny was by no means helpless in there.

The vocal majority on this board seem to me to be very much pro-boxer, anti-puncher. I think that bias affects the way certain fights are recalled, and this appears to be one of those instances. Remember, Pacquiao should have won their first fight if one of those judges didn't have his head up his ass about scoring knockdowns.

I believe Marquez has slowed down a bit, particularly, his defense is not as strong as it once was. Pacman seems to be spreading himself thin and focusing less on boxing than before, and that's certainly a negative indicator for his long term future, but I don't think he takes this fight unless he's willing to put in 100% the whole way. And physically, the Manny of today is a superior fighter to the Manny of 2004.

People are saying that Marquez will be more prepared for Pacman's initial onslaught and won't get caught off guard early like last time. No doubt that's true. But I also think Manny, after having come so close to scoring a 1st round KO, took his foot off the gas just a little bit. Why wouldn't he be more prepared this time around for Marquez' style and resilience?

I don't think the rematch will look anything like their first fight. I like Pacquiao a lot in this one. I may even be leaning right now towards a late round KO.

Do you think Pac "took his foot off the gas" because he did not want to punch himself out after that first round blitz? Also, I think seeing Marquez after taking all those knockdowns, and STILL coming forward after Pac throwing hard punches at him kind of affected Pac. I am sure Manny was not expecting that. I am expecting Marquez to outbox Pac this time around for a decision win, but I would not be surprised at all if Manny does hurt him and gets him out of there for good this fight. Great fight either way.
BrutalBodyShots
Let's also not forget about Marquez' busted up nose that may have been a factor in the first fight. Chances are he doesn't have that problem in the rematch and is able to perform better. How much better who knows, that isn't measurable.

To give a recent reference of this happening look at Marquez-Vazquez. In the first fight Vazquez had a much tougher time and he has his nose busted early. In the rematch no busted nose and he was much more successful.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 2 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]368084[/snapback]
Let's also not forget about Marquez' busted up nose that may have been a factor in the first fight. Chances are he doesn't have that problem in the rematch and is able to perform better. How much better who knows, that isn't measurable.

To give a recent reference of this happening look at Marquez-Vazquez. In the first fight Vazquez had a much tougher time and he has his nose busted early. In the rematch no busted nose and he was much more successful.

I forgot about the busted nose that could definitly make a difference.

Marquez just has to fight the exact same way he fought Pac in the first fight(minus the 1st rd ofcourse lol) and he'll be alright.
mexi-cutioner
Facts:

In JMM's last 5 fights, he was 4-1-2kos. Those two KOs were againsts nobodies (Jaca and Tersdak something). He was knocked down once by Barrera in their fight. The only person of note in those 5 fights was Barrera. Chris John, though an unbeaten champ is still a virtual unknown and he beat JMM on points.

In PACMAN's last 5 fights, he was 5-0-3kos. In those 5 fights, he retired 2 hall-of-fame shoo-ins, KOed a previously unbeaten fighter and scored a total of 7 knock-downs - 4 of which courtesy of Morales who bigger and heavier champ David Diaz barely beat. His two unanimous decision wins were lopsided as well. His opponents have impressive win-loss cards, with Solis being the only one which has a fight record of less than 45 wins and he's still a formidable unbeaten fighter with 32 wins with 24 KOs.

Myths. (The ones you'll read in the papers and in the internet)

1. JMM beat Pacman in their first fight. - Wrong. JMM got a draw because of faulty scoring which later the judge in question apologized for.

2. Pacman cannot figure out JMM's style. Wrong again. Pacman now has a right to go with his left hand. He now cuts the ring instead of following opponents like he did in Pac-JMM 1. JMM never added anything to his arsenal but Pacman improved his defense and offense.

3. JMM is faster than Pacman. Wrong. Barrera floored JMM and connected solidly lots of times during their fight, Barrera could barely catch Pacman in theirs. If a slower Barrera can catch JMM what more a faster Pacman?

4. JMM can knock-out Pacman. Possible but not probable. After their first encounter, JMM have been knocked down once. Pac lost a fight (against Morales) after the first JMM fight, but no fighter has even gotten close to knocking him down even if all his recent opponents have high KO percentages. Even Fahsan 3k Battery has 35Kos to his credit.

5. Pacman is scared of JMM. Wrong. JMM shunned a Pacman rematch before and chose to fight John in Indonesia instead for pennies - how's that for scared?

6. Pacman wants to fight Diaz instead of Marquez. True. Not because Pac's scared of JMM, but because there isn't any complications with this fight. Arum manages Diaz, plus Pac gets more money fighting him. Diaz wants the limelight more than the money, he'd gladly fight for less than a million and would not demand much on PPV shares.

***THESE ARE JUST INTERESTING FACTS I FOUND ON ANOTHER BOXING WEBSITE DISCUSSION BOARD. I FOUND IT TO BE VERY INTERESTING NONETHELESS REGARDING THEIR REMATCH
BrutalBodyShots
mexi-cutioner you're post is meaningless. Know why? Because your name is "mexi-cutioner" so obviously you are very biased and pro-Pacquiao. That's fine to be a fan and all but it makes taking anything you say pertaining to Pacquiao seriously an impossibility. So basically, your "facts" and "myths" are your biased opinions, so you should state them as such.

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 2 2007, 09:54 AM) [snapback]368118[/snapback]
mexi-cutioner you're post is meaningless. Know why? Because your name is "mexi-cutioner" so obviously you are very biased and pro-Pacquiao. That's fine to be a fan and all but it makes taking anything you say pertaining to Pacquiao seriously an impossibility. So basically, your "facts" and "myths" are your biased opinions, so you should state them as such.

well did u notice how under my post i wrote that it was soemthign I foudn on another boxing discussion board NOT written by me and I just posted it on here to see what you guys thought about it as i did find it interesting.

And yes, my screenname is mexi-cutioner because that is one of Pacquiaos nicknames and I am a huge Pacquiao fan, but im not dumb enough to know that Marquez won a majority of the roudns in their first fight, he is one of the best fighters out tehre and he, besides joan guzman, are the only fighters in the super featherweight division to hv a legit shot at beating the pacman. so althoguh I favor Pacquiao to win the fight, I also have alot of respect for JMM and know what he is capable of
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 2 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]368173[/snapback]
well did u notice how under my post i wrote that it was soemthign I foudn on another boxing discussion board NOT written by me and I just posted it on here to see what you guys thought about it as i did find it interesting.

Oh I noticed... and what I also noticed is that you didn't say that you disagreed with what you pasted from another site. Therefore, by posting it you are more or less signing your name to it and agreeing with it, which is fine but also a reflection of your Pro-Pacquiao bias.

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 2 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]368176[/snapback]
Oh I noticed... and what I also noticed is that you didn't say that you disagreed with what you pasted from another site. Therefore, by posting it you are more or less signing your name to it and agreeing with it, which is fine but also a reflection of your Pro-Pacquiao bias.

Well I dont feel a need to say that i disagreed with it, im entitled to my own opinion. The post is biased towards Pacquiao, and i knew that even before I posted it. whats wrong with being pro-pacquiao, if your a fan backing your favorite fighter. I see alot of people posting how Marquez is gonna win lopsidedly over Pacquiao, like the majority of rounds in their 1st fight, does that not make them pro-marquez?? even thoguh i am pro-pacquiao, atleast I can admit that Marquez is a great fighter and will give Manny a tough time and can possibly pull off a win.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 2 2007, 04:33 PM) [snapback]368179[/snapback]
Well I dont feel a need to say that i disagreed with it, im entitled to my own opinion. The post is biased towards Pacquiao, and i knew that even before I posted it. whats wrong with being pro-pacquiao, if your a fan backing your favorite fighter. I see alot of people posting how Marquez is gonna win lopsidedly over Pacquiao, like the majority of rounds in their 1st fight, does that not make them pro-marquez?? even thoguh i am pro-pacquiao, atleast I can admit that Marquez is a great fighter and will give Manny a tough time and can possibly pull off a win.

That's fine. I'm just saying the way you presented your "facts" and "myths" was of a very biased nature. Take from it what you will.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(mexi-cutioner @ Dec 2 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]368173[/snapback]

And yes, my screenname is mexi-cutioner because that is one of Pacquiaos nicknames and I am a huge Pacquiao fan, but im not dumb enough to know that Marquez won a majority of the roudns in their first fight, he is one of the best fighters out tehre and he, besides joan guzman, are the only fighters in the super featherweight division to hv a legit shot at beating the pacman. so althoguh I favor Pacquiao to win the fight, I also have alot of respect for JMM and know what he is capable of

I can't stand these nicknames, I also didn't know one of Pac's nicknames was "mexicuntioner". Roger Mayweathers nickname was "the mexcian assasin" unitl Chavez destroyed him. Pac's time will come sooner than later and if Marquez happens to beat Pac should he change his name to the "filipino killer" just because he beat up on acouple of Pinoy's.

Chavez beat alot of Puerto Rican fighters aswell but you didn't see no one call him the "Puerto Rican assasin".

mexi-cutioner
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Dec 2 2007, 03:48 PM) [snapback]368195[/snapback]
I can't stand these nicknames, I also didn't know one of Pac's nicknames was "mexicuntioner". Roger Mayweathers nickname was "the mexcian assasin" unitl Chavez destroyed him. Pac's time will come sooner than later and if Marquez happens to beat Pac should he change his name to the "filipino killer" just because he beat up on acouple of Pinoy's.

Chavez beat alot of Puerto Rican fighters aswell but you didn't see no one call him the "Puerto Rican assasin".

i found out of the nickname wen i was watching a really good pacman highlight vid on youtube. nothing agisnt mexican fighters, some of my fav fighters are mexican i just really liked that nickname and it kinda stuck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.