Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Biggest Overachiever/Underachiever
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
alaganza
I had this dicussion with a friend and decided to share it here.

I think maybe the biggest overachiever of all time may be Buster Douglas

In more recent history I lean towards John Ruiz

Biggest underachiever, in my opinion, maybe Zab Judah.

I also lean toward Emanuel Augustus, but that is because he is my personal favorite.
BigG
Underahiever...Donald Curry
mexi-cutioner
People may or may not agree with me, and as entertaining as he was to watch, I thought Prince Naseem Hamed was a HUGE overachiever...this guy was a bum and fought alot of unspectacular fighters. I was glad to see Barrera deservedly wipe the floor with him
Bazooka Limon
Underahiever-Tony Ayala Jr
Warlord
Though it may sound strange at first to say it, I'd probably say Mike Tyson is one of the biggest underachievers in the history of boxing. He had all the tools and natural talent to be the greatest fighter that ever lived, bar none. What Mike achieved in his career was good, but nothing compared to what he could have or should have been.

As for overachiever, I'd definitley say Rocky Marciano is high on the list. The guy was a small heavyweight even in his era, he had the shortest reach of any heavyweight champ in history, and he had about as much speed and grace as a rhino. The guy was all heart, and he managed to put together the greatest statistical career of any heavyweight champion in history through sheer heart and determination.
BigG
Terry Norris unfortunately never got big fights with Trinidad or DLH....
Method
Overachiever? Felix Trinidad has overachieved. Maybe Cotto too.
BigJuicyHog
Michael Grant was an underachiever. Andrew Golota was an underachiever as well. I really think that considering his career, Holyfield was an overachiever.
Method
I don't necessarily think Michael Grant underachieved. I never expected anything out of him. He sucked. I think over hyped is more applicable.
Southeastpaw
I agree with bigjuicy on holy being an overachiever. Show me a bigger heart.

And I agree with alaganza with Judah being an underachiever. He has all the athletic gifts to be the #1 fighter in the sport IMHO. but we all know where his major problem lies.
BigG
Judah's speed and power is incredible plus his technique is beautifull and he is flashy...he just lacks conditioning and he folds...
Maxy
Riddick Bowe was an under-achiever. He could have been so much more.

Lloyd Honeyghan was an over-achiever.
kidbazooka1
I think Manuel Medina is the ultimate overachiever IMO this guy is a horrible fighter yet he won many titles.
BigJuicyHog
Good call on Medina. He always seemed to be in title fight and won ones that he should not have. I think he easily beat Tapia depite not getting the decision. The guys did a little bit of everything ok, but did nothing great and won several featherweight titles in the process.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(BigJuicyHog @ Nov 30 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]367817[/snapback]
Good call on Medina. He always seemed to be in title fight and won ones that he should not have. I think he easily beat Tapia depite not getting the decision. The guys did a little bit of everything ok, but did nothing great and won several featherweight titles in the process.

Exactly, the guy had no power, no real skill, looked stupid and was slow but somehow mananaged to win some.
Lil-lightsout
Biggest overachiever- Troy Dorsey

Biggest underachiever- Hector Camacho Sr.
Big Slim Sweet
Bowe's a great call for underachiever. This guy had everything going in his favor - size, skills, heart - yet for all that he basically gave us a grand total of one great performance in his whole career.

Funny, I don't consider Mike Tyson or James Toney to be underachievers because of all they still managed to accomplish in their careers, yet I do consider Bowe and Zab Judah to be underachievers even though both were undisputed champions at one time. I have no idea what distinction I'm somehow making.
Mean Mister Mustard
What? No one is going to mention Ibeabuchi as an underachiever?
Maxy
QUOTE(Mean Mister Mustard @ Nov 30 2007, 05:34 PM) [snapback]367876[/snapback]
What? No one is going to mention Ibeabuchi as an underachiever?

Ibeabuchi is a who knows...
Southeastpaw
Ike was well on his way to achieving, but it came to a screeching halt. Two great wins for the time over an undefeated Tua and Byrd.
BrutalBodyShots
As a FYI, Ibeabuchi/Tua has been playing on ESPN Classic lately. I recommend anyone check it out if you really want to be depressed about today's heavyweight landscape.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.