Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: On a scale from 1 to 10...
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
The CEO
You KNOW I'M a 10...already. Been at 10 since last Saturday...laugh.gif

I'm on cruise control...HYPE DAN A MAHFAH.

The odds on a Mayweather win are lowering as we speak...gonna get PAAAIIID.

"Can I help you, sir?"

- Employee

"Uhhhh...hey...yeah...big sale for you today...let's go over here to TVs first....I want the biggest and best flat screen you got."

- The C.E.O. at Best Buy
X3_Bazooka_X3
I am at 9.5 right now, the undercard looks decent as well I am at a 9.5 because I beleive Ricky will make this fight exciting but you know when I think of Floyd he just finds ways to bore me to fucking death which could really kill any and all excitment
The Original MrFactor
About a 6... Still debating wether or not to buy...
BigG

I was 11 the day before Cotto-Judah..thats still the best fight of the year to me.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Im about a 3. This fight just doesn't do it for me. I feel as if it wont be competitive, and the undercard has to potential to be lousy as well. There have been way too many PPV shows lately, and its getting ridiculous. It's the holiday season I got presants to by my family instead of giving 55 bucks for some asshole. Sorry for the tangent, just my opinion. Ill be sitting this one out.
Kyle
dbdbdb
I am on a HIGH 10 ........... This fight is as good as brought.

Listening to PBF on 24/7 has gotten very irritating but I still want him to beat Hatton soundly. I can't wait!!!!!
The CEO
Me too, db...me too....can not WAIT.

I would pay $500 to watch this on a 10 inch black and white...I'VE GOT TO see this whoopin' as it's going down...this will be the first Boxing PPV I've bought in like 6,7 years...laugh.gif
kidbazooka1
About a 2

I rather watch grass grow.
The CEO
bazooka....do I have to remind you that you're a Hatton Hater?

You don't wanna see him beaten?
Warlord
About a 2, I reckon. I really just don't give a shit about Floyd Mayweather.

Change this to a 10 on fight night when I'm watching it for free on CCTV5.biggrin.gif
xxxxxx
I'm at a 10 right now, been there for a couple weeks.I still pick Mayweather to win by stoppage late if his hands hold up.Otherwise he wins a convincing decision and the Mayweather haters make more excuses.
salvador
About a 4.

If I could watch this fight for free it would be about a 7, but knowing that I'm putting money in Floyd's pocket in spite of the fact that I know what's coming just kills it for me. In terms of excitement, this fight doesn't register in the top 10 fights for 2007 - maybe not even in the top 20.
JD
Around a 7...if Cablevision does it in HD, make it an 8.

Should reach a 10 by next Friday.

I get into all the fights...I would say that my anticipation here is not quite what it was for DLH - Floyd, Taylor - Pavlik, Cotto - Mosley...but thats ok, we will get there. I actually expect Floyd to have some problems in there, Hatton is going to be more of a headache for him than many realize in my opinion.

ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Nov 30 2007, 01:22 AM) [snapback]367707[/snapback]
About a 2

I rather watch grass grow.

? Huh ?

How can people not be amped for this fight?
Method
Day after a nigga's B-Day. Semi PSYCHED. Seriously, Im looking forward to this scrap. Scale of 1-10? Above 7.5. Will be very very pumped if it's a great, competitive fight that goes into the championship rounds.

Sunday Morning Quarterback rating, if Floyd pulls a...well....Floyd and gets on his fucking bike after talking all his shit, and I'll be a resounding 1.

Like Salvador, I hate putting money in that ignorant fuck's pocket...but whatever. Write off.
Maxy
I'm at about 7.5 at the minute but that will raise to a 10 come fight night. If the fight was at 140 I'd be off the scale, but that's life.

I probably won't be making a bet on the outcome - like most people I expect Floyd to win but I've got a strong conviction within me that believes Hatton is going to give him hell. His toughest fight to date.

It'll be a huge let down for me if Mayweather dominates and destroys him, but if he does he'll get my props.
moscow bear
6....I was at 8 for Cotto-Judah, at 9 for PBF-DLH
BigG
I'm more excited for this then I was for DLH..I'm at 9.5 now...but I'll probably be 10 before the day of the fight...because Hatton can give PBF a great fight IMO. This is the sweet science at its best. Two great fighters in their prime.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(salvador @ Nov 30 2007, 07:07 AM) [snapback]367759[/snapback]
About a 4.

If I could watch this fight for free it would be about a 7, but knowing that I'm putting money in Floyd's pocket in spite of the fact that I know what's coming just kills it for me. In terms of excitement, this fight doesn't register in the top 10 fights for 2007 - maybe not even in the top 20.

Also a 4,

Not since Corrales have Floyd's fights been exciting. In fact, they have left sour tastes in my mouth. And what happens if Hatton holds and grabs and Floyd can't use his ring generalship? The prices for PPV are insane! Today I got my cable bill and had almost a 10 dollar increase! I am supposed to have some 12 month deal cuz I get cable, high-speed Internet, and digital phone.) But they raised our rates anyway. (I may have to drop HBO or Showtime if I can't get my old rate back.) I love boxing and have for over 30 years. But economic conditions make it harder for so many people to follow the sport compared to the past. The great Taylor-Pavlik II could be just wonderful for HBO, but they have to charge $50 as a PPV. Pavlik-Taylor II should be on regular HBO. Right now, I have a $25 Gift Certificate and will most likely use that for Pacquiao-Marquez II!

But $50 every time out for these prices that are being charged, it's not worth the money.

Jack
BrutalBodyShots
I'm at about a 6 or a 7 on the 1-10 scale right now, but once I drop a few grand on Mayweather prior to the fight it will be an instant 10. I really hope those odds tighten up on Friday/Saturday!
Maxy
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 30 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]367780[/snapback]
I'm at about a 6 or a 7 on the 1-10 scale right now, but once I drop a few grand on Mayweather prior to the fight it will be an instant 10. I really hope those odds tighten up on Friday/Saturday!

You're willing to risk a few grand?

Mad man laugh.gif .

My head definitely says Mayweather will prevail but there is no way I would risk that sorta money on it. This is boxing man, upsets happen and there have been bigger upsets than this would be.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Maxy @ Nov 30 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]367788[/snapback]
You're willing to risk a few grand?

Mad man laugh.gif .

My head definitely says Mayweather will prevail but there is no way I would risk that sorta money on it. This is boxing man, upsets happen and there have been bigger upsets than this would be.

I normally don't risk more than a few hundred on a fight, but in a situation like this where you've got a guy that SHOULD be a 5-1 favorite that's likely going to end up 3-2 on the day of the fight it is tough to pass it up.

3-2 odds and if you took a poll on here I bet 40 out of 50 pick Mayweather to win. Should be 5-1 odds but isn't = time to bet big.

My actual risk amount will depend really on what the odds are at about 6:00 on fight night. At that time they should be the best possible for a Mayweather bet.

Southeastpaw
For some reason I am not that pumped for this one. I am probably sittin at about a 5-6 right now. Now i know this will skyrocket come fight day, but for now it is low, don't know why really. I was more psyched for Floyd/DLH, especially more psyched for Marquez/Vasquez II, Margarito/Williams, Pavlik/Taylor. But I will no doubtedly get to a 10 most likely come fight day.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Nov 30 2007, 12:40 PM) [snapback]367796[/snapback]
For some reason I am not that pumped for this one. I am probably sittin at about a 5-6 right now. Now i know this will skyrocket come fight day, but for now it is low, don't know why really. I was more psyched for Floyd/DLH, especially more psyched for Marquez/Vasquez II, Margarito/Williams, Pavlik/Taylor. But I will no doubtedly get to a 10 most likely come fight day.

I know what you mean. It's funny how that works. You can be totally unhyped for a fight and then come fight day it's all you can think about!
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Nov 30 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]367775[/snapback]
Also a 4,

Not since Corrales have Floyd's fights been exciting. In fact, they have left sour tastes in my mouth. And what happens if Hatton holds and grabs and Floyd can't use his ring generalship? The prices for PPV are insane! Today I got my cable bill and had almost a 10 dollar increase! I am supposed to have some 12 month deal cuz I get cable, high-speed Internet, and digital phone. But they raised our rates anyway. (I may have to drop HBO or Showtime if I can't get my old rate backI love boxing and have for over 30 years. But economic conditions make it harder for so many people to follow the sport compared to the past. The great Taylor-Pavlik II (or if could be just wonderful for HBO and they have to charge $50 as a PPV. Pavlik-Taylor II should be on regular HBO) Right now, I have a $25 Gift Certificate and will most likely use that for Pacquiao-Marquez II!

But $50 every time out for these prices that are being charged, it's not worth the money.

Jack

Co-Sign in a BIG!! way.

That fight with Corrales {RIP} was peak excitement, because you knew they were going to fight it out. No BS, they didn't like each other and it would have been a pleasure to totally knock the other out. That's the element that is missing from most fights, that anger and total hate for the opponent. That's why I would pay anytime to watch tyson, because he always added that "I'm gonna kill that bitch" element to the fight. Its not present in most fights today and that's why I don't get as excited anymore.

Its all coming down to all out greed for everyone sponsoring boxing events. $50 is a seat in the arena at most any sporting event out there. And PPV is charging that for every fight, whether its major or minor. This fight, being a major event between two unbeatens should be about $39.95 for PPV. That xtra $10 is buffering the pockets of the providers only.

But I think the days of the Mega-fight where all fight fans get excited about the event is dwindling. Its just too much BS circulating around major events. And everybodies trying to cash in on that excitement. I guess it won't be long until Don King starts selling action figures at boxing events to further rape the fans.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 30 2007, 02:41 AM) [snapback]367713[/snapback]
bazooka....do I have to remind you that you're a Hatton Hater?

You don't wanna see him beaten?

I wanna see him get beat up not outboxed.

Mayweather will run around Hatton for the entire fight content with taking a decision.
The CEO
Ya know...I think the amount of personal hypeness before the bell rings boils down to a few things...how much you hate Mayweather...how much you hate Hatton...or how much money you're looking forward to winning on Mayweather.

laugh.gif

The last big fight I was really hyped for was DLH-Mayweather...why?

Because I fuckin' hate De La Hoya...

Now..I've never been a big fan of Floyd's in the past...I'm one of those who respect him for being the best pure boxer today....he's almost too easy to hate on...and I remember telling this to JD about this a while back in PMs....with all the hate for him, slowly and surely, it's made me go against the grain and want to see him succeed all the way...

With all this considered...Floyd has faced DLH and beat him...so after he beats Hatton, I might have to make him my favorite fighter on principle alone...for beating the two boxers I hate the most and making me some serious cash...
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 30 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]367815[/snapback]
Ya know...I think the amount of personal hypeness before the bell rings boils down to a few things...how much you hate Mayweather...how much you hate Hatton...or how much money you're looking forward to winning on Mayweather.

laugh.gif

Well looking at it like that i can see why some might get hyped. I just can't stand Mayweathers 24/7 antics my dream scenario for the fight would be that they both get KTFO simultaneously with there purses withheld. laugh.gif

But what if Hatton some how delivers a miracle and pulls the upset, now that would be some funny sh*t don't ya think?
The CEO
Huh?

Noooo...what?...don't even say that....killed my head change, bro.
The CEO
laugh.gif
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 30 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]367821[/snapback]
Huh?

Noooo...what?...don't even say that....killed my head change, bro.

laugh.gif
Lil-lightsout
About an 8, definately a 10 on fight night.
MarzB
Hey Jack this comment here is definitely something Ive been thinking about also

ut economic conditions make it harder for so many people to follow the sport compared to the past.

No doubt, unfortunately I'm a junkie. While I don't buy crap, I will buy most of the big cards. Its an excuse to have a party and fill up my bar.

I'll give Hatton fans this. The energy they have at fights and how they support him is unreal. When watching the Castiillo fight and hearing the chants and drums through my speakers I was like, "wow, what American fighter wouldn't KILL for this type of support??"..

So I'm amped to see that. Also, finally an undercard (although the Vargas fight had a good one too) worth watching all the way through..

FidelCastro
I can't wait to see Floyd whoop Ricky's arse! The beatdown "Gatt style" is coming! Wooooooooooooooooo!!!
The CEO
If Mayweather treats Hatton almost as bad as he did Gatti, words wouldn't express my satisfaction. That would be the icing.

but no matter what...as long as Hatton loses his 0, I'll be feeling fantastic.

JD
Because of Hatton's footspeed, footwork, handspeed, and tenacity - I don't think there is any way he will receive a Gatti like shellacking.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(JD @ Nov 30 2007, 10:39 PM) [snapback]367894[/snapback]
Because of Hatton's footspeed, footwork, handspeed, and tenacity - I don't think there is any way he will receive a Gatti like shellacking.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Boxingjunkie
Im always at 10 for a big fight like this. A lot of the times I am let down by a dull fight, but I always get excited about a big fight.

Boxingjunkie
Southeastpaw
I am going to be at about a 13 come about round 5 or 6 when Mayweather goes into "school" mode.

Warning for those going to this fight. You are risking getting mauled by some drunk, pastey Hatton fans on the way out of the fight. So beware and wear sunglasses. There are going to be quite a few upset British drunkards lookin for any kind of getback once they witness the shellacking MoneyMay puts on Fatton.
BrutalBodyShots
I'm pretty sure Hatton is the first undefeated fighter Mayweather has faced since fighting Corrales. At least Mayweather will have a guy in front of him that doesn't know how to lose and will give it his all. I'm expecting an exciting fight to start with Hatton looking pretty good but then Mayweather putting it on him late.

rusty_trombone
I have to say I'm fairly hyped now. At first I thought this was going to be a complete shutout for Mayweather, but one of my friends is a huge Hatton fan, he's been hyping him to me since he was an amateur and has me slightly convinced that Hatton will put up a decent fight. I have seen crazier things happen in boxing, like the truf winning a belt.
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 1 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]367938[/snapback]
I have seen crazier things happen in boxing, like the truf winning a belt.

You mean 'The TROOOF'? You have to spell it in capitals. He's that important.
salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Nov 30 2007, 01:30 PM) [snapback]367794[/snapback]
I normally don't risk more than a few hundred on a fight, but in a situation like this where you've got a guy that SHOULD be a 5-1 favorite that's likely going to end up 3-2 on the day of the fight it is tough to pass it up.

3-2 odds and if you took a poll on here I bet 40 out of 50 pick Mayweather to win. Should be 5-1 odds but isn't = time to bet big.

My actual risk amount will depend really on what the odds are at about 6:00 on fight night. At that time they should be the best possible for a Mayweather bet.

Right now it's -240 for Mayweather, which would be a reasonable bet by any standard. The problem is that risking $200 on those kind of odds barely pays for the PPV and the beer if you win. But worse, if the fight turned out to be exciting (if Ricky really is able to get inside, tie him up and wear him down), then the bet would be in direct conflict with my desire to see Floyd lose. Floyd losing would, of course, be worth $200 ($254.95 to be exact), but losing the bet would take away from the thrill of the upset. I know, I know, it won't happen. But IF!!!

If it got to 3-2, then I would agree with you that that would be the time to back up the truck. But it's just impossible for me to envision the odds tightening up that much.
rusty_trombone
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 1 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]367941[/snapback]
You mean 'The TROOOF'? You have to spell it in capitals. He's that important.

I apologize for not giving 'THE TROOF' his appropriate capitalization.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 1 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]367944[/snapback]
If it got to 3-2, then I would agree with you that that would be the time to back up the truck. But it's just impossible for me to envision the odds tightening up that much.

24/7 is pretty good at tightening up odds though... The purpose of the show is to generate PPV buys, and in order to do that they need to give the impression that either man can win. I'm all for the show because all it does is artifically tighten up the odds by making the underdog seem more live than he really is.

salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 1 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]367957[/snapback]
24/7 is pretty good at tightening up odds though... The purpose of the show is to generate PPV buys, and in order to do that they need to give the impression that either man can win. I'm all for the show because all it does is artifically tighten up the odds by making the underdog seem more live than he really is.

I'm all for the show in general because it sells personalities, which is sorely needed in boxing. I also agree that it's probably useful in tightening the odds a bit, but they could go further by focusing more on the strengths/weaknesses of each fighter and by having experts talk more about strategies (though I'm sure that they won't with Floyd because it's hard to sell Floyd's winning strategy of running and potshotting). It would be nice if they focused more on Floyd's natural size disadvantage, having moved up from 130. And it would be nice to see replays of Floyd getting rocked by Corley and maybe even have some expert commentator analyze their fights with Castillo.

Anyway, I hope you're right cause I'll be right there with you at -150.
buford54
I like the show as well...but I feel that when it focuses on Mayweather, it does as much harm as it does good. The show hypes people up for the fight, and then the casual fan buys the fight, and Mayweather puts on a snoozefest, and the casual fan is reminded that boxing is not actually like the Rocky movies and they get re-turned off to boxing.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(buford54 @ Dec 3 2007, 12:20 PM) [snapback]368245[/snapback]
I like the show as well...but I feel that when it focuses on Mayweather, it does as much harm as it does good. The show hypes people up for the fight, and then the casual fan buys the fight, and Mayweather puts on a snoozefest, and the casual fan is reminded that boxing is not actually like the Rocky movies and they get re-turned off to boxing.

Well said.
The CEO
Stiiiiill HYPED.

Money May gon' win me some MUH NAYYYY.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 3 2007, 08:09 PM) [snapback]368324[/snapback]
That's what I was saying after DLH-Mayweather. I too think 24/7 is a very good tool to get people to tune in, but they must be very careful the way they use it. They should use 24/7 for fights that will most likely turn out pretty good. Something like Mosley/Cotto would have been good as both guys would have come to fight. It's always a little dangerous with Hatton and Mayweather. If Hatton fights his clinching style and Mayweather fighting off the back foot for 12 rounds pot shotting. It's a mix for a let down IMO. That's why I think they should choose wisely for 24/7. If they just use it for any fights and people see Mayweather talk himself up and fight like he did against DLH and possibly Hatton, the novelty of the show will just wear off.

I agree with what you're saying Fitz, but I bet HBO is only thinking about the present (this fight) and not the future. They know by hyping the fight they'll net more PPV buys which means more revenue. In the short term the show will pay off, but like you said if the fight itself is a let down fewer people will buy in the future. However, the future buys would probably just be casual-semi fans not hardcore fans which wouldn't have bought this one anyway had they not seen the 24/7 hype, so who's to say if it will actually hurt anything.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.