Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fighter of the Year
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Southeastpaw
I am thinking it should either be Kelly Pavlik or Miguel Cotto. You could surely throw Mayweather in there as well figuring he does beat Hatton.

Kelly has made the biggest splash in the boxing world as far as I'm concerned. But Cotto has had some awesome fights against great competition.

We can also consider JJM wit his great win over Barrera and his domination of Juarez.

I am leaning toward Pavlik though due to his huge entrance into boxing's mainstream with satisfying KOs over the biggest names in the division this year.
The CEO
Such a tough question...seeing how all 3 will probably be my favorite fighters going into '08..

'07 has been a HUGE year for Pavlik...but I think they should give it to Cotto...beating Judah and Mosley...wait...2 KOs to become Undisputed at Middle....Pavlik's gotta be the best choice.

In other words...it's a lock between those two. Great year of Boxing...
Southeastpaw
LOL! That's kinda what was running through my head as well when I was tryin to pick between the two.

Who else should be up for debate though? I feel that I am forgetting someone.
The CEO
Although he lost the original, Vazquez could be considered for his performance in the rematch....but all roads lead to Pavlik first, then Cotto...
Southeastpaw
Vasquez gets my "favorite" fighter of the year award as well as best fight of the year. But I just can't give hime best fighter of the year. But he has shown a heart and determination that is seldom seen........anywhere.
The CEO
You can't give it to him....but if they had to gather 10 to consider, he should be in there....Guzman should be considered as well like that...

That Vazquez is a born fighter...him and Katsidis both...they are to be appreciated....can't think of any reason not to like those two...
Southeastpaw
I agree he should definitely be in a top 10, but not in the discussion with Pavlik, Cotto, and Mayweather (assuming he beats HuggyHatton........like there's any question...pft)

Vasquez is da shizzle doe.
Mean Mister Mustard
If Hatton beats Mayweather you think he would get it? I mean, it may depend on how he beats Mayweather but beating Urango, Castillo and Mayweather in a year would be pretty good.

As much as I hate Calzaghe he should get a honorable mention for facing the #1 contender and beating him.
Snoop
We already had a topic discussing this:

http://www.fighthype.com/community/index.php?showtopic=20618

Maybe we can consolidate?
Southeastpaw
Definitely snoop. Sry bout that. I musta been outta commisison when that topic came round or somthin. The other topic definitely takes presidence over this one.
rusty_trombone
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and give it to Pavlik. The guy did what Hopkins couldn't, and Hopkins had 2 tries. He also knocked out Miranda, who I still consider to be a fucking beast. The win over Taylor is more impressive, but I never in a million years thought that Pavlik would knock out Miranda, I still think it's ridiculous that Pavlik traded with Miranda and got the better of it.
caneman
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Nov 30 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]367830[/snapback]
Although he lost the original, Vazquez could be considered for his performance in the rematch....but all roads lead to Pavlik first, then Cotto...

kinda says it all for me! i'd pick pavilk with cotto not too far behind aggressive.gif
stateofthegame
I would go with Pavlik. Remember it is not 2 KO's it was 3. He had 3 brutal KO's this year in Zertuche, Miranda, and Taylor.
BrutalBodyShots
We'll all have our final answer a week from today =)

BigG
Maybe Cotto and Pavlik will share the honor of being FOTY...didn't that happen in 2001 with Hopkins & Tszyu?
caneman
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 1 2007, 12:47 PM) [snapback]367961[/snapback]
Maybe Cotto and Pavlik will share the honor of being FOTY...didn't that happen in 2001 with Hopkins & Tszyu?

no hopkins won it
Snoop
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Nov 30 2007, 10:28 PM) [snapback]367874[/snapback]
Definitely snoop. Sry bout that. I musta been outta commisison when that topic came round or somthin. The other topic definitely takes presidence over this one.

Eh..I guess it doesn't matter. It was worth bringing up again and people have brought up good points since the last one.
Sugar Q
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 1 2007, 12:30 PM) [snapback]367959[/snapback]
We'll all have our final answer a week from today =)

Well said! I know there's a lot of PBF haters in here but Taylor, Miranda nor Mosley, Judah are bigger wins than DelaHoya and Hatton. If Cotto would've stopped Shane he would have a case but he didn't.
SpitShineTommy
JOE "The Italian Dragon" CALZAGHE

or well COTTO prob. even more so deserved it , but Joe Cal for best fight of the year
Southeastpaw
Best fight of the year?????
Sugar Q
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 5 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]368601[/snapback]
I think Cotto winning against Mosley is about on par with a win over DLH at this stage of there career. Not sure I would agree that a win over DLH is better. DLH seems to be more about the money right now anyways. Cotto has a win over Urkal as well this year. Anyways, Floyd won't win it if he fights like he has been in fights such as Baldomir etc. Floyd must win pretty big to take the award IMO.

Nice thought but Mosley is not a bigger star than Oscar! I never said better. The Golden boy and the golden goose is pretty big in the same year. Even tho we all know that Hatton should have one lost on his record. You can tell when a fighter really loses when he wants no part of a rematch. Many PBF haters like to point to Castillo but PBF fought him in an immediate rematch and beat him. That's the heart of a true champion.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Dec 6 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]368703[/snapback]
Nice thought but Mosley is not a bigger star than Oscar! I never said better.

What does beating a "bigger star" have to do with being Fighter of the Year? Fighter of the Year is judged on who beats the best fighters, not the best stars/guys with more drawing power. If Tyson comes out of retirement and gets knocked out by Briggs or something will that put Briggs in contention for Fighter of the Year since he beat a star?
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 5 2007, 07:06 PM) [snapback]368601[/snapback]
I think Cotto winning against Mosley is about on par with a win over DLH at this stage of there career. Not sure I would agree that a win over DLH is better.

I think a win over Mosley actually means more, from an in-ring, fighting perspective.
Nobudius
Have to say Pavlik, IMHO.

Nothing like seeing a shake up in the middleweights. Was happy as a kid in a candy store when I saw Jermain Taylor go, boom boom, out go the lights. I'd shade him over Cotto. Just impressed me more this year.

As for PBF, I guess it depends on the manner in which he fights this upcoming weekend.
BigG
Fitz, Hatton didn't really clean out the first half...in fact it was a pretty close fight going into the 2nd half.
BigJuicyHog
As of right now its Pavlik followed by Cotto. If Hatton beats Mayweather I think it has to go to Hatton by default.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 6 2007, 10:17 PM) [snapback]368824[/snapback]
Haven't seen the fight in a while, but off memory I thought the first half was all Hatton and then as the fight wore on, the size between the 2 became more noticeable with Collazo taking over in the 2nd half. Anyways, my point is I can see why someone thinks Collazo wins and why someone has Hatton as the fight was close. I just think it's bias BS is you try to say it was a robbery. Either guy barely won by a round.

Exactly correct. Very close fights are not robberies. Either guy could have received the nod that night.

BigG
I scored Hatton-Collazo 115-112 for Collazo....

Round 1 was 10-8...round 2 was a very close round which I actually gave to Hatton (lettemran gave that to Collaz), and Collazo came back strong in rounds 3,4,5...
BrutalBodyShots
I'd like to watch Hatton-Collazo again, I've only seen it once. Funny how HBO never shows the fights ON DEMAND where the PPV fighters actually struggled a bit. The give you Hatton-Castillo and Mayweather-Gatti ON DEMAND to pump you up for the fight this Saturday. No Hatton-Collazo or Mayweather-Castillo I of course.

Southeastpaw
LOL! I'd do the same thing if I was the one tryin to get buyers.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 7 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]368905[/snapback]
LOL! I'd do the same thing if I was the one tryin to get buyers.

So would I =)

Sugar Q
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 6 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]368706[/snapback]
What does beating a "bigger star" have to do with being Fighter of the Year? Fighter of the Year is judged on who beats the best fighters, not the best stars/guys with more drawing power. If Tyson comes out of retirement and gets knocked out by Briggs or something will that put Briggs in contention for Fighter of the Year since he beat a star?

Lol, the answer is simple. Who would be fighter of the year if Oscar would've beaten Floyd? I rest my case. Fake boxing fans kill me trying to discredit great fighters for whatever reason. Oscar will go down as one of the greats and beating him even at this stage is no easy task.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Sugar Q @ Dec 7 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]368927[/snapback]
Lol, the answer is simple. Who would be fighter of the year if Oscar would've beaten Floyd? I rest my case. Fake boxing fans kill me trying to discredit great fighters for whatever reason. Oscar will go down as one of the greats and beating him even at this stage is no easy task.

Nice point!!!

Fighter of the year has to be Cotto .... followed by Mayweather.

I would add the Pac-man as a close third.
BigG
PacMan...nah.

Marquez actually had a better year then Pacman.
X3_Bazooka_X3
if Hatton wins tomorrow no doubt he will get it.
SpitShineTommy
I guess after tonight ....as much as I cant stand that arrogant hump...PBF does deserve fighter of the year...best pound for pound....besides Joe Cal that is !!!!

1.> Floyd "Money" Mayweather
2.> Cotto
3.> Joe "The Italian Dragon" Calzaghe
xxxxxx
Mayweather should get the award.Although the win against Oscar was a split victory he was stepping up in weight to fight a hall of famer and in my opinion that fight should of been a unanimous decision.
RiverSide
It should only be between Pavlik, Floyd and Cotto.
BrutalBodyShots
I've got it in this order:

1. Mayweather
2. Cotto
3. Pavlik

I think that each edges out the other by a little bit... no big gaps... but clearly they belong in that order.

BigG
Pavlik had a good year...but Miranda and Taylor are really nothing compared to Judah & Mosley, DLH &Hatton.

I mean, Taylor should have probably lost to Spinks, Winky, and BHOP 2x. Miranda is the new Mayorga.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 9 2007, 01:45 PM) [snapback]369556[/snapback]
I've got it in this order:

1. Mayweather
2. Cotto
3. Pavlik

I think that each edges out the other by a little bit... no big gaps... but clearly they belong in that order.

Definately agree with that. Especially since Mayweather dismantled a prime Hatton, and Cotto squeaked by Mosley who is a little past his prime.
The CEO
Personally, I think it's between Floyd and Kelly....I can't call it......Floyd got an SD against DLH, but his transcendance of the sport, and the publicity he brought HAS to be factored in...Cotto had a great year and comes in 3rd.

Banner year for Boxing.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.