Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chavez Jr stops Sanchez in brutal fashion.
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Pages: 1, 2
kidbazooka1
Chavez and Sanchez fought a very entertaining fight tonight but Chavez was just on another level. Chavez was too strong and was extremley accurate with all of his punches scoring a TKO in the 6 round.

Sanchez did land some good shots in there but had no effectr on Chavez whatsoever I know it's too soon to tell but he looked like he may have his old mans chin. Sanchez hit him with some flush straight left which is his power punch but couldn't even dent Chavez.

Chavez called out Alphonso Gomez and Carlos baldomir as possible opponents. I know there are a lot of Chavez haters around here but he looks to me to be the real thing. Many picked Sanchez to even upset Jr but despite his lack of amatuer expeirence Chavez actauly looked like the more expeirence and techniacl fighter.

Jorge Arce also fought on the undercard tonight and scored a sensational KO over thai fighter Midegeon Sangurat who actauly holds a TKO win over a young Pacqiauo, Arce stopped Midgeon with a brutal left hook to the body in just 48 seconds.
kidbazooka1
Sanchez is a pretty good puncher and hit Chavez with some flush shots but Jr didn't even blink he realy looked like his old man in there tonight.
Byrd Man
Will he do the same against Gomez though? that's the question. And since I have Gomez in the fantasy thing, I'm saying NO! lol
kidbazooka1
The way Chavez has been looking lateley I think he may be able to even stop Gomez who has a pretty good chin himself.

I know it's too soon to tell but Chavez realy looked like he might be able to live up to his name.
Snoop
I think the reason people criticized him, or at least why I did, was because he was always getting airtime for fights that really didn't deserve airtime. The only reason he got those spots was because of his father. I had no problem with him taking on light opposition at first, since he had no amateur experience, I just thought there would be more significant fights more worthy of airtime.

I always thought he was a solid fighter, just never tested. It seems like he's starting to come up and prove himself. I'll be interested to see where he goes.

Oh, and another reason I didn't like him is cuz he just looked so damn bratty.
Lil-lightsout
I always had Jr. pegged as a fraud, looks like I am wrong and he took a HUGE step in the right direction. Congrats to him on his biggest win and hopefully he continues to step up the competition gradually.
kidbazooka1
Bratty he's not I've met him on acouple of occasions and each time he was more than happy to stop and take pics with fans and was also very polite.

Sanchez was 20-1-15 and was also considered an up and coming prospect he showed one punch KO power throughout his career and had an extensive amatuer background. Like I said alot of people were very high on Sanchez saying that he was gonna even stop Chavez. Chavez came out looking like a season pro going nice to the body and was very accurate with his shots something that is not found very often in many young fighters today. Im not gonnna say he'll be as great as his dad cause those are very hard shoes to fill but i think he might just be bale to make some noise of his own.

kidbazooka1
I think a fight with both Gomez and Baldomir would be another good test being that they both have great chins it would most likley end up being a long hard fight.

Chavez also said that he is looking to fight for a title some time next year.
kidbazooka1
Hey bpipe what did you think about the fight?
BrutalBodyShots
Well we know he can take a shot - that's a good thing.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 2 2007, 04:10 AM) [snapback]368082[/snapback]
Well we know he can take a shot - that's a good thing.

Sanchez landed some real good straight lefts(his power punch)and Jr didn't even blink. Being that Sanchez felt that he was one of the heardest punchers at 154lb and that his power was on another level than Chavez Im sure that must have been very discouraging for him, he looked like he was hitting a wall.
bpipe
I was disappointed in the outcome obviously, as I had Sanchez in this one but it was a pretty exciting fight. The arena I'd say was about 60-40 in favor of Chavez, as we have a big Mexican population down here in NM. I thought Sanchez blew his whad too soon, he was drained right around the time of the KO. When he would box instead of trying to bang with Chavez, he was winning the fight. Chavez has one hell of a chin because Sanchez hit him with numerous power shots and made them look pretty weak. Sanchez has a lot of power and Chavez handled it better than I thought he would. Chavez himself said after the fight that Sanchez does hit as hard as advertized but he wanted to feel his punches. Chavez is pretty strong himself he doesn't get the respect he deserves in that department. No excuses Chavez won but Sanchez shouldn't feel too bad about this loss because he showed a lot of heart by fighting back when he was hurt, he never gave up and even tried to get up after the knockdown he just simply couldn't beat the count. Chavez earned a lot of respect from me tonight he's a lot better of a fighter than I thought. Chavez had a significant height and reach advantage. I was surprised Chavez didn't attack the body as much as he usually does. I think he'll beat Gomez if and when they fight.
Boxingjunkie
Like they stated last night Chavez Jr. had zero amateur fights, so he has basiclly been fighting his amateur fights as a pro. I like the kid. He has good speed and power and is very accurate with his punches. He seems to have a good chin. No doubt he has gotten some air time just because of his last name. This fight last night was not a PPV fight. This was a ShoBox fight or something. If last nights fight was a PPV fight, then I guess the rest of his fights from here on out will be PPV. He took a small step up and they put it on PPV. Dont quite understand that one.

Boxingjunkie
BrutalBodyShots
I'm glad Junior isn't building up his record against pure scrubs.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(bpipe @ Dec 2 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]368092[/snapback]
I was disappointed in the outcome obviously, as I had Sanchez in this one but it was a pretty exciting fight. The arena I'd say was about 60-40 in favor of Chavez, as we have a big Mexican population down here in NM. I thought Sanchez blew his whad too soon, he was drained right around the time of the KO. When he would box instead of trying to bang with Chavez, he was winning the fight. Chavez has one hell of a chin because Sanchez hit him with numerous power shots and made them look pretty weak. Sanchez has a lot of power and Chavez handled it better than I thought he would. Chavez himself said after the fight that Sanchez does hit as hard as advertized but he wanted to feel his punches. Chavez is pretty strong himself he doesn't get the respect he deserves in that department. No excuses Chavez won but Sanchez shouldn't feel too bad about this loss because he showed a lot of heart by fighting back when he was hurt, he never gave up and even tried to get up after the knockdown he just simply couldn't beat the count. Chavez earned a lot of respect from me tonight he's a lot better of a fighter than I thought. Chavez had a significant height and reach advantage. I was surprised Chavez didn't attack the body as much as he usually does. I think he'll beat Gomez if and when they fight.

I agree sanchez fought a very brave fight there's no doubt that he gave it his all. I was just shocked by how well Chavez took his shots I've only seen a couple of fights from Sanchez but from what I've seen and heard about him he is a very devastating puncher yet his blows had zero effect on Chavez. I don't know about Sanchez blowing his whad to soon though, I think Chavez power shots took alot out of Sanchez aswell he just looked beat up going back to his corner every time.

This was a real good test for Jr he's still ony 21 so he has a while to go before he even hits his prime as for sanchez he has nothing to be ashamed of he's still young aswell and IMO could definitly make some noise in the future.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Dec 2 2007, 12:33 PM) [snapback]368108[/snapback]
Like they stated last night Chavez Jr. had zero amateur fights, so he has basiclly been fighting his amateur fights as a pro. I like the kid. He has good speed and power and is very accurate with his punches. He seems to have a good chin. No doubt he has gotten some air time just because of his last name. This fight last night was not a PPV fight. This was a ShoBox fight or something. If last nights fight was a PPV fight, then I guess the rest of his fights from here on out will be PPV. He took a small step up and they put it on PPV. Dont quite understand that one.

Boxingjunkie

I don't think all of Jr's upcoming fights will be on PPV. Last nights fight was in New Mexico Sanchez hometwon and a huge Mexcian population I think Arum seen there was an opportunity to sell out and took it. The arena looked packed and the fans were going crazy during the fight so there definitly was alot of interest going into it.
kidbazooka1
Arce also had a real good win last night considering he didn't look all that great in his last fight, he looked every bit like the old Arce last night stopping thai fighter Midgeon Singurat within 48 seconds of the opening rd. Looks like Martin Castillo is next in line for Arce.
Elijah
After seeing Chavez Jr in this fight what kinda shot does he have at beating Paulie Malignaggi? I didn't see this fight but if Jr can take the best shots from Sanchez I don't see how PM would have anything to keep Jr off of him. I ask because these two were talkin some shit a few weeks ago and PM said he would move up to 147 to fight Jr.
BigG
Paulie beats Chavez ass....
Elijah
I'm not talkin in a foot race.
kidbazooka1
If Chavez/Malignigi were to happen after Jr fights Gomez I see the fight looking alot like when his dad fought Camacho. Paulie has nothing to keep Chavez off of him that and the fact that Chavez is a huge 154lb at 6'0 he was able to outmuscle Sanchez with ease. Chavez would have a height, reach, power and strenght advantage over Paulie. Malignigi obviously has speed in his favor but thats all Chavez would be on him all night beating him from pillar to post.

Paulie will survive but I see Chavez taking a decision.
BigG
Do you think Chavez is really good enough to give Paulie a pillar to post beating? Remember, Paulie won 5-6 rounds vs. Cotto.

Paulie-Chavez Jr. would be Chavez-Whitaker all over again.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 3 2007, 11:04 PM) [snapback]368343[/snapback]
Paulie-Chavez Jr. would be Chavez-Whitaker all over again.

No way George.

Yes Paulie did Ok agianst Cotto who is a real good puncher and is physcialy strong but Chavez would tower over Paulie. I know Paulie has a chance right now but not a good one. Chavez is just naturaly a much bigger guy and would enjoy a huge strengh advantage one that paulie would not be abel to overcome.

Remember Cotto is a short fighter so Malignigi was able to do things agianst him. With Chavez he would look like a kid in the ring Chavez heavy blows and body shots would take a huge toll on the smaller Malignigi wearing him down big time. I just can't see him beating Chavez but I hope the fight happens so he can get his ass handed to him.

Im not sure if you watched Chavez fight this past weekend but he's looking alot like his old man in there and it looks like he has inherited his chin aswell.
bpipe
Before the Chavez-Sanchez fight I gave Chavez a very little chance at beating Paulie, but Jr really impressed me this past weekend. Sanchez can really crack and he made it look like he was getting hit with pillows. Chavez Jr will put too much pressure on Paulie and Chavez' body work will slow down the faster PM. Cotto is a way smaller fighter than Chavez Jr, I say Chavez would beat that ass all over the ring if he ever fights Paulie.
BigG
Who the fuck is Ray Sanchez? laugh.gif Is Sanchez half the fighter Paulie is? Paulie is skilled ass hell defensively and quick. Chavez is 33-0 and has been in with 33 tomato cans and journeyman as far as I'm concered. And 2 of those fights were very close. If yall didnt notice, Chavez is a strong kid but lacks speed and defense. I would DEFINITELY favor Paulie to box him.

Chavez should at least beat someone the level of Edner Cherry and Lovemore N'Dou.

I really hope this happens because Paulie would beat that ass if they ever fight.

Chavez-Whitaker all over again.
Elijah
For you to compare Paulie Malignaggi to Pernell Whitaker is just disgraceful. Paulie is a slick boxer I'll give him that but he hasn't beat anyones ass. Other than Cotto he hasn't really fought anyone and he ended up lookin the worst out of just about any of Cottos opponents by the end of their fight. You must be forgettin what dude looked like by the end of that fight. He took a brutal beating.

I think Chavez Jr. would just be too much for PM. He would definitely have the height/reach advantage and he works the body very very well which is exactly what PMs opponents should do to slow him down. I see it actually as an ass kickin for Paulie. Hopefully these two will meet and we can set the record straight.
BigG
I'm not comparing them. I'm just saying Malignaggi would give Chavez Jr. total fits like Sweet Pea gave his dad.

And he beat N'Dou 120-107 on the cards...that was a hell of a performance. And Chavez Jr. has not fought anyone as tough or anyone at the level of NDou.
kidbazooka1
Sanchez can crack waaaaaay harder than Paulie and Ndou can ever imagine and even at that what has Paulie and Ndou done? SH*T but lose to top comp thats all. Paulie has nothing for Chavez he may go the distance because of his hit and run bullsh*t but mark my words if this fight happens Chavez would tear him up.

George Chavez jr will give Paulie a beating he will never forget, just like his dad would have done to Whitaker had he excepted to fight Chavez in his prime not a past his best over the weight Chavez.
BigG
Paulie wont hurt you but he'll box circles around you all night. And the man took a BEATING, was cut & knocked down early, had his jaw broken by Miguel Cotto and won about 5 rounds.

George Chavez jr will give Paulie a beating he will never forget, just like his dad would have done to Whitaker had he excepted to fight Chavez in his prime not a past his best over the weight Chavez.

Paulie will outbox him if they ever fight. And Chavez would have never beaten Whitaker.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 4 2007, 01:58 PM) [snapback]368391[/snapback]
Paulie will outbox him if they ever fight. And Chavez would have never beaten Whitaker.

Are you sure about that? have you ever seen a prime lightweight Chavez in action not the slow Chavez who was fighting moslty from memory by the time he fought Pea. The thing is alot of non Chavez fans mostly remember him from his jr welter days but that Chavez was past his prime, hell even the Chavez who fought Taylor was already past his best hardcore boxing guys could tell you that.

Chavez at 135lb was a monster. I've said this before and i'll say it agian IMO he was close to unbeatable at lightweight.
BigG
Dont act as if 147 was WHITAKERS best weight either...Sweet Pea at 135 was damn near untouchable.
Blayde
I dont know, Ive got to say Chavez Jr. didnt really impress me that much against Sanchez. Thats the only fight Ive seen from him so far but judging him from that performance, I would see a WIDE UD for Malignaggi against him.

Chavez doesnt seem to be the quickest on his feet, he wouldnt be able to get Malignaggi.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 4 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]368393[/snapback]
Dont act as if 147 was WHITAKERS best weight either...Sweet Pea at 135 was damn near untouchable.

True but Whitaker at that stage in his career was much fresher and carried 147lb much better than Chavez who was making his 1st attempt at that weight unlike Pea.

And I agree that pea was also brilliant at 135lb but from what I 've seen of both I think Chavez would be just a little too much for Pea at 135lb.
Nobudius
Jr looked good, but to make ANY comparisons to his old man at this point SCREAMS of being a fanboy. Still need to see more. Much, much, much, more, you know?

And do we really need to hear if's, and's, buts, candy, & nuts regarding Pea & Chavez?
BigG
I know Chavez was a monster in his prime. I've seen the fights (Rosario, Ramirez, Camacho, Roger Mayweather, etc) BUT Whitaker stylewise was a total nightmare for him.

I think Whitaker was good enoguh to beat ANY 135er in history inclduing Duran.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Dec 4 2007, 03:08 PM) [snapback]368401[/snapback]
Jr looked good, but to make ANY comparisons to his old man at this point SCREAMS of being a fanboy. Still need to see more. Much, much, much, more, you know?

And do we really need to hear if's, and's, buts, candy, & nuts regarding Pea & Chavez?

I agree, like I said before I kow it's much too soon to say if he's gonna turn out like his old man those are some hard shoes to fill and he may never become that great. I just meant that he did show some glimps of his old man last sturday night but by no means do I think he'll accomplish as much. As much as I would like to see him make it Im realistic about the fact that it's gonna take a whole lot to be able to realy compare him to his dad.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 5 2007, 02:04 AM) [snapback]368518[/snapback]
I know Chavez was a monster in his prime. I've seen the fights (Rosario, Ramirez, Camacho, Roger Mayweather, etc) BUT Whitaker stylewise was a total nightmare for him.

I think Whitaker was good enoguh to beat ANY 135er in history inclduing Duran.

Im not blind I can see how some would favor Pea over Chavez at 135lb. The reason I brought up Chavez/whitaker at 135lb is because many people here when talking about there fight make it out to seem like Whiatker whooped his ass which is not true. Pea outboxed him and won more rds but in no way did he ever hurt or put a beating on Chavez. I have several fights on both Chavez and Whitaker at 135lb and it's obviouse there was a big difference between the Julio at 135lb compared to him at 147lb in 93'. The lightweight version of Chavez was relentless, a master at cutting off the ring, worked his way inside, delivered beautiful combinations and was much faster than the Chavez of the Whitaker fight.

I know there's an interview where Whitaker was asked about a possible fight with Chavez during the 80's. I don't recall word for word what was said but I do remember Whitaker not being interested in a fight with him during that time. He obviousley knew or seen something in Chavez that made him doubt himself.
Nobudius
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Dec 5 2007, 01:20 AM) [snapback]368520[/snapback]
Im not blind I can see how some would favor Pea over Chavez at 135lb. The reason I brought up Chavez/whitaker at 135lb is because many people here when talking about there fight make it out to seem like Whiatker whooped his ass which is not true. Pea outboxed him and won more rds but in no way did he ever hurt or put a beating on Chavez. I have several fights on both Chavez and Whitaker at 135lb and it's obviouse there was a big difference between the Julio at 135lb compared to him at 147lb in 93'. The lightweight version of Chavez was relentless, a master at cutting off the ring, worked his way inside, delivered beautiful combinations and was much faster than the Chavez of the Whitaker fight.

I know there's an interview where Whitaker was asked about a possible fight with Chavez during the 80's. I don't recall word for word what was said but I do remember Whitaker not being interested in a fight with him during that time. He obviousley knew or seen something in Chavez that made him doubt himself.

See, this is why fanboys in this sport get a little ridiculous. Similar to the fanbase army of Tyson. Trinidad. Roy.

According to you, Chavez cuts down Godzilla with a hook to the liver. And you say you are not being blind about it? You are rarely OBJECTIVE about Chavez or Whitaker-you wear JCC on your sleeve.

If you watch Whitaker through the years, one thing that he doesn't carry is "doubt". I mean, c'mon-he is one, arrogant, prick. Do you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY think Whitaker had doubts about facing Chavez at any point?

One of the MAJOR obstacles back then was due to Whitaker dropping a decision to Ramirez for the WBC lightweight title. He had to regroup, & capture the IBF title-which by then..... Chavez had already left the lightweight division, fighting the likes of Mayweather. Had the judges gotten the Ramirez/Whitaker I scores right, you bet they were on a collision course for unification. Ramirez fought Chavez right after Whitaker!! The window for them to meet at 135 was small, & the judges blew it.

When was this so called interview? B/c if it was around the time Pea was the IBF champion, it doesn't surprise me he wasn't interested in moving up to face Chavez. Look at the friggin' timeline. You're only seeing what you want to see, which is the BIGGEST problem with homers.

To claim he he had "doubt" is just made up sh!t. And I think Pea IS an asshole.

As for Julio's kid..... the recent bout was a nice step up.

kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Dec 5 2007, 02:24 PM) [snapback]368553[/snapback]
See, this is why fanboys in this sport get a little ridiculous. Similar to the fanbase army of Tyson. Trinidad. Roy.

According to you, Chavez cuts down Godzilla with a hook to the liver. And you say you are not being blind about it? You are rarely OBJECTIVE about Chavez or Whitaker-you wear JCC on your sleeve.

If you watch Whitaker through the years, one thing that he doesn't carry is "doubt". I mean, c'mon-he is one, arrogant, prick. Do you REALLY, REALLY, REALLY think Whitaker had doubts about facing Chavez at any point?

One of the MAJOR obstacles back then was due to Whitaker dropping a decision to Ramirez for the WBC lightweight title. He had to regroup, & capture the IBF title-which by then..... Chavez had already left the lightweight division, fighting the likes of Mayweather. Had the judges gotten the Ramirez/Whitaker I scores right, you bet they were on a collision course for unification. Ramirez fought Chavez right after Whitaker!! The window for them to meet at 135 was small, & the judges blew it.

When was this so called interview? B/c if it was around the time Pea was the IBF champion, it doesn't surprise me he wasn't interested in moving up to face Chavez. Look at the friggin' timeline. You're only seeing what you want to see, which is the BIGGEST problem with homers.

To claim he he had "doubt" is just made up sh!t. And I think Pea IS an asshole.
As for Julio's kid..... the recent bout was a nice step up.

Thats your opinion

Im not denying that Im a huge Chavez fan the guy is what got me into boxing so I know i'll always be a bit bias.

Yes Whitaker might not have had doubts, but like I said he did say he was not interested at the time for what reasons who knows.
Nobudius
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Dec 5 2007, 06:34 PM) [snapback]368603[/snapback]
Thats your opinion

Im not denying that Im a huge Chavez fan the guy is what got me into boxing so I know i'll always be a bit bias.

Yes Whitaker might not have had doubts, but like I said he did say he was not interested at the time for what reasons who knows.

LOL-so which is it? Did he have doubts or not? Having no interest to fight Chavez means he doubted himself..... I think that was what YOU were implying. Now, you are saying.....who knows?

Do you actually BELIEVE that? Seriously. Do you really BELIEVE Whitaker was avoiding Chavez at that time b/c of self doubt?

Didn't the potential, 135 showdown get bogged down due to Ramirez/Whitaker I? Is that just my opinion, or am I just thinking aloud to myself? Maybe he wasn't interested due to the fact he didn't HOLD a lightweight title? Where is the bargaining chip in calling out Chavez without a trinket?

Or that JCC moved on up to 140 by the time Pea became champ?

Again, WHEN was this interview? When he was a contender? Or was it when he was so unsure of himself against JCC, he chose the easier path of UNIFYING the lightweight belts? LOL

Who knows......indeed......indeed.

If Chavez got you into boxing, you might remember at the time he finally fought Whitaker......

1)-Chavez being FAVORED by most people going into the fight. Remember the dismantling of Terrence Alli? Or when people saw Pea/McGirt, which was a tough fight? The lasting impression on people was Chavez DOMINATING Alli.
2)-When Chavez met Pea, it WASN'T his first venture at 147lbs. for a fight. Check his ledger: he had SEVERAL non title bouts during his 140 reign of terror, weighing in often at...... oh my gawsh....... a WELTERWEIGHT. SO when JCC homers say it was his first fight weighing in at 147 limit....it's BULLSHIAT (don't think he weighed exactly at 147 though, even against Pea).
3)-Chavez WAS comfortably a P4P fighter going in- NOT "shop worn", "been in too many wars", or "shot". Or Pea was "fresher". Actually.....they were vying for the top spots, P4P.

Why do you think Sports Illustrated printed....

"ROBBED" rather than "FRESHER UP TO THAT POINT AT 147" ??? LOL

C'mon, bazooka. My OPINION is, you are making shit up to make Whitaker look like a coward.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Dec 5 2007, 10:31 PM) [snapback]368637[/snapback]
LOL-so which is it? Did he have doubts or not? Having no interest to fight Chavez means he doubted himself..... I think that was what YOU were implying. Now, you are saying.....who knows?

Do you actually BELIEVE that? Seriously. Do you really BELIEVE Whitaker was avoiding Chavez at that time b/c of self doubt?

Didn't the potential, 135 showdown get bogged down due to Ramirez/Whitaker I? Is that just my opinion, or am I just thinking aloud to myself? Maybe he wasn't interested due to the fact he didn't HOLD a lightweight title? Where is the bargaining chip in calling out Chavez without a trinket?

Or that JCC moved on up to 140 by the time Pea became champ?

Again, WHEN was this interview? When he was a contender? Or was it when he was so unsure of himself against JCC, he chose the easier path of UNIFYING the lightweight belts? LOL

Who knows......indeed......indeed.

If Chavez got you into boxing, you might remember at the time he finally fought Whitaker......

1)-Chavez being FAVORED by most people going into the fight. Remember the dismantling of Terrence Alli? Or when people saw Pea/McGirt, which was a tough fight? The lasting impression on people was Chavez DOMINATING Alli.
2)-When Chavez met Pea, it WASN'T his first venture at 147lbs. for a fight. Check his ledger: he had SEVERAL non title bouts during his 140 reign of terror, weighing in often at...... oh my gawsh....... a WELTERWEIGHT. SO when JCC homers say it was his first fight weighing in at 147 limit....it's BULLSHIAT (don't think he weighed exactly at 147 though, even against Pea).
3)-Chavez WAS comfortably a P4P fighter going in- NOT "shop worn", "been in too many wars", or "shot". Or Pea was "fresher". Actually.....they were vying for the top spots, P4P.

Why do you think Sports Illustrated printed....

"ROBBED" rather than "FRESHER UP TO THAT POINT AT 147" ??? LOL
C'mon, bazooka. My OPINION is, you are making shit up to make Whitaker look like a coward.

Listen up I don't need to make sh*t up I know what heard and that was Whitaker not being interested in a fight with julio when asked, this was an interview conducted after a fight.

I don't buy your bullsh*t theory of Chavez/whiatker not being made because Pea didn't have a belt come to think of it I don't even think you buy your own bullsh*t. Everyone knew Whitaker won that fight and in many eyes was still considered undefeated aswell as a gold medalist that alone would have made the fight there was no need for a strap.

And if your trying to tell me that the Chavez from the Whitaker fight was still fresh and was the same fighter from his lightweight days than I have to realy question your boxing knowledge.

Yes Julio was still on top of many p4p list before the fight but to say that he was still at his best, not shop worn and fresh or as fresh as Whiatker is TOTAL BULLSH*T you know that.

And who gives a f*ck what the media says, sh*t they called DLH/Trinidad "The fight if the millinium" it was everything but that so whats your point?
Nobudius
I'll ask AGAIN...... do you REALLY believe Whitaker had doubts against JCC at any point?

And when did I ever say the Julio that faced Pea was the "same fighter as his lightweight days"? Nuthuggers are always coming up with things that were never said in a discussion- READ what I posted.

QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Dec 6 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]368660[/snapback]
I don't buy your bullsh*t theory of Chavez/whiatker not being made because Pea didn't have a belt come to think of it I don't even think you buy your own bullsh*t. Everyone knew Whitaker won that fight and in many eyes was still considered undefeated aswell as a gold medalist that alone would have made the fight there was no need for a strap.
And if your trying to tell me that the Chavez from the Whitaker fight was still fresh and was the same fighter from his lightweight days than I have to realy question your boxing knowledge.

lol

Alright..... now, bear with me for a bit. My bullsh!t theory by the grassy knoll..

If "Everyone knew Whitaker won that fight and in many eyes was still considered undefeated aswell as a gold medalist that alone would have made the fight there was no need for a strap" ....... like you mentioned, then WHY DID CHAVEZ FIGHT RAMIREZ, AFTER RAMIREZ GOT THE DECISION OVER WHITAKER?

Answer: I don't know why but your theory is bullsh!t. Chavez #1.

LOL

QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Dec 5 2007, 1:20 AM) [snapback]368660[/snapback]
I know there's an interview where Whitaker was asked about a possible fight with Chavez during the 80's. I don't recall word for word what was said but I do remember Whitaker not being interested in a fight with him during that time. He obviousley knew or seen something in Chavez that made him doubt himself

Care to cite the interview? The Ring? KO? Newspaper? I would like to check it out, b/c it must be one heck of an interview. MAYBE I'd agree with you if I read it.

Sh!t, it must've REALLY annoyed the hell outta you to see that Sports Illustrated Cover, huh?
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Dec 6 2007, 01:44 PM) [snapback]368714[/snapback]
I'll ask AGAIN...... do you REALLY believe Whitaker had doubts against JCC at any point?

And when did I ever say the Julio that faced Pea was the "same fighter as his lightweight days"? Nuthuggers are always coming up with things that were never said in a discussion- READ what I posted.
lol

Alright..... now, bear with me for a bit. My bullsh!t theory by the grassy knoll..

If "Everyone knew Whitaker won that fight and in many eyes was still considered undefeated aswell as a gold medalist that alone would have made the fight there was no need for a strap" ....... like you mentioned, then WHY DID CHAVEZ FIGHT RAMIREZ, AFTER RAMIREZ GOT THE DECISION OVER WHITAKER?

Answer: I don't know why but your theory is bullsh!t. Chavez #1.

LOL

laugh.gif

You just said "Chavez WAS comfortably a P4P fighter going in- NOT "shop worn", "been in too many wars", or "shot". Or Pea was "fresher". Actually.....they were vying for the top spots, P4P"

C' mon now by saying that he wasn't shot your pretty much implying that Chavez was still on top of his game RIGHT? get your stories straight bro. laugh.gif

As for Chavez not being shop worn again I have to question your boxing knowledge because he most definitly was by the time he fought Whitaker regardless if he was still p4p, the wars had definitly cought up to him.

You ask me do I really think Whiatker had doubts agianst Chavez well if it wasn't Pea having doubts somebody in his team/mananging was. Like I said Whitaker was not interested in fighting Chavez when asked at the time I will do my best to look this interview up.

AS for why Chavez fought Ramirez instead who knows all I know is that Pea was aksked about a fight with Chavez I don't know if the fight was ever going to happen but he was asked and either his team or himslef was not intrestetd that I know for a fact.
Nobudius
Dude, your reading comprehension is TERRIBLE.

I really don't know what else to say.

Do look forward to you digging up the interview though.

Also, give me a source regarding Chavez & his team offering Pea a fight RIGHT AFTER he lost to Ramirez. I was around then, & I never heard about this. Never.
worldsapart509
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Dec 6 2007, 11:31 AM) [snapback]368736[/snapback]

Also, give me a source regarding Chavez & his team offering Pea a fight RIGHT AFTER he lost to Ramirez. I was around then, & I never heard about this. Never.

You want the interview for the fight?

It was the post fight interview for Whitaker Vs Paez fight back in the summer of 1990 when ABC would air fights. After his victory over Paez, Whitaker was asked by either Merchant or Alex something, who ever was commentating fights on ABC at the time, "When are you gonna fight Chavez? We want to see you mix it up with him."

Whitaker's response was "We'll fight him later on the down the road, we're not ready for that fight right now" Go get the fight for yourself brother and watch the thing for yourself.

I'm not gonna debate who would have won, but I well tell you that I personally saw Whitaker state that he wasn't ready for a fight with Chavez. Also, Chavez' prime indeed was mid 80s to late 80's, he was past his prime by the time he faced Taylor. I wouldn't say way past his prime but past it none the less.
BigG
Around the time WHitaker beat Azumah, he said he would fight Chavez....
worldsapart509
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 6 2007, 12:42 PM) [snapback]368760[/snapback]
Around the time WHitaker beat Azumah, he said he would fight Chavez....

I didn't watch the post fight interview for, but I'll try to get a copy of the fight. I encourage you to get a copy of the Whitaker Vs Paez fight so you can hear for yourself as Whitaker admits that he isn't ready for a Chavez fight.
Nobudius
QUOTE(worldsapart509 @ Dec 6 2007, 03:40 PM) [snapback]368759[/snapback]
You want the interview for the fight?

It was the post fight interview for Whitaker Vs Paez fight back in the summer of 1990 when ABC would air fights. After his victory over Paez, Whitaker was asked by either Merchant or Alex something, who ever was commentating fights on ABC at the time, "When are you gonna fight Chavez? We want to see you mix it up with him."

Whitaker's response was "We'll fight him later on the down the road, we're not ready for that fight right now" Go get the fight for yourself brother and watch the thing for yourself.

I'm not gonna debate who would have won, but I well tell you that I personally saw Whitaker state that he wasn't ready for a fight with Chavez. Also, Chavez' prime indeed was mid 80s to late 80's, he was past his prime by the time he faced Taylor. I wouldn't say way past his prime but past it none the less.

I know what you are referring to: but the interview was at a time when Chavez WASN'T a lightweight, & Pea WAS- the Paez bout was when Whitaker unified the division in 1991, not 1990.

Looking at the timeline, what Whitaker said about a possible fight with Chavez makes sense. Granted, Chavez homers make take his quote as "doubt"...I guess.

I'm talking at 135. Had Whitaker gotten the decision over Ramirez at 135, they were surely on a collision course for unifiying the titles. Why would JCC offer to put his WBA title on the line against Pea, RIGHT AFTER HE LOST TO RAMIREZ? Doesn't it make sense for Chavez as well to go for Ramirez's title? And if...hypothetically, Chavez wanted a fight with Whitaker, do some people really think Whitaker would shy away from a chance at JCC's title, after he arguably got robbed?

If Whitaker got the decision the first time against Ramirez....I can't see any reason why a bout between him & Chavez wouldn't have happened at 135. Well, maybe between Duva & King, there would be some problems...... but due to Whitaker's "doubt"? Just can't see it.

That's why this "interview" that bazooka is referring to needs to be sourced. When was it?

The aftermath of the DRAW is some funny sh!t. Rarely seen so many explanations on the why's & how's. And Chavez didn't even LOSE on the cards. Too many of the Chavez fanbase have animosity towards Pea, & vice versa.

And for the life of me, I still can't figure out when I mentioned Chavez was at his PRIME for the Whitaker fight. I said he & Pea were P4P fighters. Apparently, bazooka thinks when I mention P4P, it equates to PRIME.

Why, I have no idea.
worldsapart509
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Dec 6 2007, 01:56 PM) [snapback]368774[/snapback]
I know what you are referring to: but the interview was at a time when Chavez WASN'T a lightweight, & Pea WAS- the Paez bout was when Whitaker unified the division in 1991, not 1990.

Looking at the timeline, what Whitaker said about a possible fight with Chavez makes sense. Granted, Chavez homers make take his quote as "doubt"...I guess.

I'm talking at 135. Had Whitaker gotten the decision over Ramirez at 135, they were surely on a collision course for unifiying the titles.

That's why this "interview" that bazooka is referring to needs to be sourced. When was it?

you are right about the fight being in 91 and not 90, have you heard the interview? Merchant straight out says "Pernell, when are you gonna get in the mix with Chavez? We want to see you in the mix." Pernell tells Larry that he isn't ready.

I'm just wondering if you or biggeorge have actually seen the interview. I think I've succeeded in locating the Whitaker/Nelson fight. I'd like to hear Whitaker state that he wants to fight Chavez.
kidbazooka1
QUOTE(Nobudius @ Dec 6 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]368736[/snapback]

Nobudius don't back out on your statments you said Chavez was not shopworn and as fresh as Pea. Anyone can clearly tell you that by 93' Chavez was already shopworn and not nearly as fresh as whitaker was who by many was still considered to be in his prime at the time.

Talk about terrible reading comprehension when did I say Chavez and his team offered Whitaker a fight?

How can I make it any more clear to you. I said whitaker was asked about fighting Chavez in an interview not offered a fight by Chavez/his team is it that hard for you to grasp what Im saying.

Worldsapart I didn't know about that interview but thanks for posting it but if memory serves me right the interview im talking about was aound 87'-88'.

Wow Pea still didn't feel ready to fight Chavez in 91'.LOL I guess that pretty much says whitaker wounldn't have felt ready in 88' either according to himself.LOL

Regardless I will still find that interview,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.