Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hopkins starting to get out a pocket
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
X3_Bazooka_X3
I dont care how great Hopkins has been that kind of shit is NOT okay to say end of fucking story, the man has made a out right racist statement and somehow he gets the press to fucking print this shit, let some white guy say that about a black man and you will see him pinned to the cross.
Hopkins is pathetic simple as that.
Southeastpaw
So what. Hops don't want to lose to a white guy. Who cares? I am white and I don't give a shit. Hopkins also threw the PR flag down in PR and is now partners with DLH who's wife is PR. Something tells me that Hops talks alotta shit just to get into the minds of people who will let him..................and this thread is born. lol
X3_Bazooka_X3
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 7 2007, 04:41 PM) [snapback]368962[/snapback]
So what. Hops don't want to lose to a white guy. Who cares? I am white and I don't give a shit. Hopkins also threw the PR flag down in PR and is now partners with DLH who's wife is PR. Something tells me that Hops talks alotta shit just to get into the minds of people who will let them..................and this thread is born. lol

its like I said if a white man said he would never lose to a black man, none of the same would apply he would be labled as a racist period, and no its not okay for anybody to make statements like that, if Hopkins really beleives that he should grow some balls and fight him pay the man what he is worth he aint lost while Hopkins has lost twice in the last few years, so Pay Joe what he s worth and prove you will not lose to a white boy.
BigG
Agreed with Fitz and South...It definitely would've been better if Hopkins had kept any form of racism out but he is just promoting/talking shit/getting into Calzaghe's nerves.
X3_Bazooka_X3
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 7 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]368969[/snapback]
Agreed with Fitz and South...It definitely would've been better if Hopkins had kept any form of racism out but he is just promoting/talking shit/getting into Calzaghe's nerves.

But looking at things that way justifys the behavior of Hopkins and its not acceptable and shouldnt be, so in other words if I said I hope Ricky wont lose to a black guy its okay then right?
Southeastpaw
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Dec 7 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]368970[/snapback]
But looking at things that way justifys the behavior of Hopkins and its not acceptable and shouldnt be, so in other words if I said I hope Ricky wont lose to a black guy its okay then right?

It would be ok with some and not ok with others. I mean, I would not even play like that because that is not in my nature, but people know how Hopkins is. It is not a free pass, but I don't believe that he is racist and I choose not to get upset about it. i kinda find it humorous coming from Hopkins. I hope that doesn't make me a racist. I guess you can say I am prejudice against Calzaghe and Warren.
WindyCityP
No need for that kind of crap. Hopkins can come up with way better shit to get under someones skin.
Snoop
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Dec 8 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]368964[/snapback]
its like I said if a white man said he would never lose to a black man, none of the same would apply he would be labled as a racist period, and no its not okay for anybody to make statements like that, if Hopkins really beleives that he should grow some balls and fight him pay the man what he is worth he aint lost while Hopkins has lost twice in the last few years, so Pay Joe what he s worth and prove you will not lose to a white boy.

No it is NOT the same if Joe said "I do not want to lose to a black guy" primarily because of the HISTORY. White men have never been socially devalued like black men, or any person of color has been in both the UK and the United States. Joe or Ricky saying "I do not want to lose to a black man" references a long history of oppression solely based on race whether you want to acknowledge it or not, while Hopkin's statement shows he's pretty much run outta shit to say. I'll somewhat agree that it's a lousy diss, but I don't see it as equally racist as the reverse.
Southeastpaw
This thread was doomed from the start.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(WindyCityP @ Dec 7 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]368975[/snapback]
No need for that kind of crap. Hopkins can come up with way better shit to get under someones skin.

Exactly. IMO that was totally uncalled for. Could you imagine if Joe would have said to Hops, "I will never lose to a black guy"? It would have gotton UGLY real quick. I have always been a big fan of Bernard too. This sport already gets a bad wrap, things like this don't help. I also have nothing else to say because no good will come from this topic.
Snoop
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 8 2007, 01:39 AM) [snapback]368978[/snapback]
This thread was doomed from the start.

True dat. LOL.
Thegreatequalizer
there's no doubt that what b-hop said is a bit racist. even if it's not the equivalent if joe c were to say it, it's still shouldn't be acceptable to say that.

but with that said, it's obviously hype for the fight, not something he would really say. well, publicly, of course. i honestly think he's trying to make himself the bad guy in this fight. just like he did against trinidad. i think he feeds off the boos and the negativity to inspire him to fight better and show the fan favorite up. some people are suited to be the fan heroes, and some people are suited to be the anti-hero. i think hopkins just feels more comfortable as the anti-hero or the underdog.
Southeastpaw
I definitely agree with that equalizer.
WolfishPromistah
I think the situation is cause for attention, which was bound to come about...somewhere. I just wish these two would fight and quit all the jibber-jabbin.'
Method
Relax. Weak minded people get caught up in shit like that.

it's obviously hype for the fight, not something he would really say. well, publicly, of course. i honestly think he's trying to make himself the bad guy in this fight. just like he did against trinidad. i think he feeds off the boos and the negativity to inspire him to fight better and show the fan favorite up. some people are suited to be the fan heroes, and some people are suited to be the anti-hero. i think hopkins just feels more comfortable as the anti-hero or the underdog.

EXACTLY.

I'm not gonna get too into it right here/now, but forget about Hopkins the Golden Boy partner, sports/public figure. Hopkins, at his core (his tiger stripes) is a street thug...from a black streets. I bet in his psyche, deep down, he carries that "No white man is gonna beat me" mentality. I think that shit is real. A byproduct of where he's from. Not saying it's right or wrong. That shit comes out in the heat of it. Happened in PR. Like equalizer said....it's what people like this feed off of. Calling somebody a "white boy"? I mean, who the fuck cares. Look who it's coming from. A ghetto street thug who grew up in a place where white people existed in nice places outside of his ghetto nightmare. Yo, there are no white people in N Philly. Not many, anyway, if at all.

It is what it is. I just think it's kinda funny people get all twisted over something so benign...at best it's promotion. At worst, it's coming from someone that lived it. Again, not condining or condeming, as shit like that doesn't even scratch the surface.

PS - I'm pulling for the white boy big time, but the black man gonna whip the dogshit outta him. I hope I'm wrong, but watching the weigh in (yes, we all know, you can't draw conclusions about weigh ins, but I know both fighters too)...I mean, Floyd is just physically a lot bigger than Hatton....not so much in height, but he is just a lot bigger looking....thicker...bigger....and we all know the speed/skills that go along with it. I know it's wrong, but I always thought 147 just disfavors Ricky, and after seeing him vs Collazo, and considcering the disparity between Collazo and Floyd....Im pullling for Hatton, but I think I am gonna lay money on Mayweather.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Thegreatequalizer @ Dec 7 2007, 08:45 PM) [snapback]368983[/snapback]
there's no doubt that what b-hop said is a bit racist. even if it's not the equivalent if joe c were to say it, it's still shouldn't be acceptable to say that.

but with that said, it's obviously hype for the fight, not something he would really say. well, publicly, of course. i honestly think he's trying to make himself the bad guy in this fight. just like he did against trinidad. i think he feeds off the boos and the negativity to inspire him to fight better and show the fan favorite up. some people are suited to be the fan heroes, and some people are suited to be the anti-hero. i think hopkins just feels more comfortable as the anti-hero or the underdog.

Well Stated 'Thegreatequalizer'

I think both B-Hop & Floyd feed very well off being the Fan Anti-Favorite. Still there are many ways to get the fight with slappy going without introducing the race issue. So bad move on B-Hops part.
kidbazooka1
He's just trying to get under his skin.
FidelCastro
I found Hopkins comment hilarious! Hops is the master at pre-fight hype. Anything to get the juices flowing. Hell, after he disgraced every Puerto Rican in the world by throwing the flag to the ground like like it was nothing, he at least had the decency to say, after he beat the hell out of Trinidad, " I like Puerto Ricans, they have Black in them" laugh.gif
Boxingjunkie
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Dec 7 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]368960[/snapback]
I dont care how great Hopkins has been that kind of shit is NOT okay to say end of fucking story, the man has made a out right racist statement and somehow he gets the press to fucking print this shit, let some white guy say that about a black man and you will see him pinned to the cross.

Thats the way it is. A double standard. Why do you think there is not a WET (White Entertainment Television). No doubt this was stupid for Hopkins to say. He is obviously trying to get to Joe, but he could have done it with a little more taste.

Boxingjunkie
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Boxingjunkie @ Dec 8 2007, 12:46 AM) [snapback]369009[/snapback]
Thats the way it is. A double standard. Why do you think there is not a WET (White Entertainment Television).
Boxingjunkie

There is a double standard in life my friend. "WET" isn't needed, there is MTV, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, HBO, WCAU and about 100+ more. One "BET" to 100+ "WET" is a pretty horrible ratio.

So, no one should ever bring up double standards or raise the issue about the the few black\Puerto Rican\Mexican owned enterprises compared to White owned.

Its just sad that the madness of race relations always brings out the worst in people. That's why it should never be used jokingly, or in the way B-Hop used it. Its just waaaaay tooooo SENSITIVE.
Snoop
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Dec 8 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]369011[/snapback]
There is a double standard in life my friend. "WET" isn't needed, there is MTV, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, HBO, WCAU and about 100+ more. One "BET" to 100+ "WET" is a pretty horrible ratio.

So, no one should ever bring up double standards or raise the issue about the the few black\Puerto Rican\Mexican owned enterprises compared to White owned.

Its just sad that the madness of race relations always brings out the worst in people. That's why it should never be used jokingly, or in the way B-Hop used it. Its just waaaaay tooooo SENSITIVE.

Thank you for saying this so I didn't have to. Not to mention that BET is actually owned by the same people that own MTV.
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2007, 07:28 AM) [snapback]369019[/snapback]
I see what you're trying to say, but I disagree. They either want to be treated as equal or they don't.

What do you mean? Do you mean that if say black people are demanding equal rights they should also be held accountable for racial slurs?

If that's what you're saying I would agree with the general concept of that, it's just that given that the playing field has been so disproportionate throughout history, you can suddenly just say, "ok things are going to be equal now", and ignore the past. I agree that Hopkins definitely doesn't come off as the best guy after a comment like that, maybe he's not trying to be, but I'm just saying that it's not exactly the same if Joe had said the same thing about a black guy given the historical context.
Snoop
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 8 2007, 10:02 AM) [snapback]369029[/snapback]
Yes, that's what I am saying. If it's alright for a black man to say that they would never lose to a white man, and get away with it, a white man should be able to get away with saying the same thing. If one gets in trouble, so should the other. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I think if people want to be treated as equal, the same rules should apply for everyone.

I see what you're saying but we lived in a time where white man would get away with saying and [i[doing[/i] much worse and getting away with it due to the system that was put in place. That old system is no longer present (although some would argue otherwise), but it does have repercussions on our present. Therefore we can't just jump to a suddenly "leveled playing field" when the foundation of that field is unequal to begin with.

I could go on but this would seriously spin out of control so I'll just leave it as this: Yeah Hopkins didn't say the most PR friendly thing, and I agree that the public would of had Joe hanged had he same the same thing in reverse. I'm just saying I understand why he would be.
Method
Promotional ploy.

If you don't think Hopkins saw all those white englishman in the crowd and didn't see dollar signs, you're crazy. Pumpin the PPV, becauase you know all those limey's will pay to see their white boy attempt to do what Hopkins says will never happen. It will be the most lucrative fight for both men. Huge.

I still stand by my earlier statements in this thread, but this is promotion. Promotion. Promotion. Promotion. Also some self motivation for Bernard. After you go out on a limb like that, you have to back up the talk.
salvador
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 7 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]368992[/snapback]
Hopkins, at his core (his tiger stripes) is a street thug...from black streets. I bet in his psyche, deep down, he carries that "No white man is gonna beat me" mentality. I think that shit is real. A byproduct of where he's from. Not saying it's right or wrong. That shit comes out in the heat of it.

Yep.

I know for sure that if I was black I'd much rather lose to a black or a hispanic than to a white guy. It's pretty fundamental. Whites have it easier and if you can find a black man that doesn't feel at least some resentment then you've found the exception. And the idea of finding a boxer who is the one in a million exception is almost comical.

The really sad thing here is that so many people are offended because someone actually said something honest about race in America - something that ain't really too contraversial or difficult to understand. The fact is that until people are able to speak freely about race, the problem will remain impossible to fix.
WolfishPromistah
"if you can find a...man that doesn't feel at least some resentment then you've found the exception."

I'll be yo' huckle-berry then.

I wouldn't care who you are kicking my ass, on the surface. Like, especially if I'm alone when it happens, I know good and well I can live with it. But -- say -- if I tell others, who'll then make it into something about being beaten by "one of ...the otherssss(hehe),"or they just happened to see it; opposed to it being just about another person getting the best of me, that's where the problems come in. And it's not his fault [meaning my would-be ass kicker] or mine. That's society's thing, for real.

So it seems it's really about the crowd and what "they" want. And on a large scale, a lotta times, people show themselves to want to "promote" division, yet they talk a good game about unity. With that in mind, I know I'm not the only one who's laughed, if but only a few times, at the thought of the states here being called "United."

Now, maybe Bernard used a light air about the statement, attempting to say it in order to kind of amuse the listeners. And this is even though he means it (that he intends not to let a white guy beat him, if anyone), or maybe not. Either way, sometimes any one of us can say a little more than what may actually need to be said. I mean, his right to his personal opinion is gonna be, like anyone else's. From a business perspective, however, I will not say I can be sure of what positive he'd expect from even bringing up such a thing in a verbal attack on race. In saying this, after all, he takes the concern away from it being about competitive spirit and national pride to whites against blacks -- meaning one's supposedly to be determined superior / inferior. And this is the same type thing people've so often held to claiming we've been attempting to get past in this country (this world even).

So, at first thought, I hold criticism to such a statement, that was not there too in what he stated about Puerto-Rico some time ago. But I would love to hear how he'd chalk things up in explanation for this one; that is fair.
durhamshardest
its alright though coz joe will hit hopkins so hard he'll come out the ring with a white eye!!!
dbdbdb
QUOTE(durhamshardest @ Dec 8 2007, 11:22 AM) [snapback]369048[/snapback]
its alright though coz joe will hit hopkins so hard he'll come out the ring with a white eye!!!

Don't you mean "SLAP" laugh.gif
Snoop
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 8 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]369037[/snapback]
Promotional ploy.

If you don't think Hopkins saw all those white englishman in the crowd and didn't see dollar signs, you're crazy. Pumpin the PPV, becauase you know all those limey's will pay to see their white boy attempt to do what Hopkins says will never happen. It will be the most lucrative fight for both men. Huge.

I still stand by my earlier statements in this thread, but this is promotion. Promotion. Promotion. Promotion. Also some self motivation for Bernard. After you go out on a limb like that, you have to back up the talk.

Oh no I agree, this is definitely promotion. Shit if Joe starts spouting some shit about black boy this, black boy that, he'll get a shitload reprimand for that, but it'll sell tickets like crazy. Race wars sell, I know. I'm just looking at it from the ideological perspective.
The Original MrFactor
This whole thing can trace its roots to jack johnson and possibly even slavery. The whip "Cracker" used to beat my black anscestors asses on the reg. Johnson was able to actually turn the tables on the "Cracker," and actually beat his ass back, in the ring... Hopkins is just echoing some of that mentality. The face thats oppressed black people in this country has generally been a white face. In the ring Hopkins gets to get a little "get back," for all the black people who couldnt legally fight back. Thus, he will never be beaten by a white man. Same concept as the concept of many of my contemporaries cheering gleefully when OJ got off...
ROLL DEEP
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Dec 7 2007, 08:36 PM) [snapback]368976[/snapback]
No it is NOT the same if Joe said "I do not want to lose to a black guy" primarily because of the HISTORY. White men have never been socially devalued like black men, or any person of color has been in both the UK and the United States. Joe or Ricky saying "I do not want to lose to a black man" references a long history of oppression solely based on race whether you want to acknowledge it or not, while Hopkin's statement shows he's pretty much run outta shit to say. I'll somewhat agree that it's a lousy diss, but I don't see it as equally racist as the reverse.

While I agree and understand the whole history of the black man being oppressed, it does NOT make it ok to make racist remarks about others.

You can't have one rule for different colours/creeds.

Just because of something happened in the past, you can't keep using it as an excuse. Sure you can educate people about those times and make sure things like that doesn't happen again, but you can't go around using it as an excuse to say what you want.

Think if a Jew had said 'I ain't loosing to no German'. Thats outlandish. Can't be said.

I'm a white guy and I'm not caught up in all this politically correctness at all....Hopkins' statement did not offend me at all....I couldn't care less really, but its not the most intelligent thing to say.
namor
QUOTE(X3_Bazooka_X3 @ Dec 7 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]368960[/snapback]

So what, what are you going to do you ***.Just kidding. double standrd is a part of life,and blacks get it worst in that department.

Snoop
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 8 2007, 06:59 PM) [snapback]369075[/snapback]
While I agree and understand the whole history of the black man being oppressed, it does NOT make it ok to make racist remarks about others.

You can't have one rule for different colours/creeds.

Just because of something happened in the past, you can't keep using it as an excuse. Sure you can educate people about those times and make sure things like that doesn't happen again, but you can't go around using it as an excuse to say what you want.
Think if a Jew had said 'I ain't loosing to no German'. Thats outlandish. Can't be said.
I'm a white guy and I'm not caught up in all this politically correctness at all....Hopkins' statement did not offend me at all....I couldn't care less really, but its not the most intelligent thing to say.

I'm not saying what Hopkins said was okay or excusable and it is just a stupid comment to arose controversy. Overall I think it digresses the movement towards equality. I'm just saying it's not exactly the same as a vice-versa scenario given the history involved.
PR316
I think Hopkins feeds off his own talk and actions in that it helps him stay hungry for the fight.

The flag incident in Puerto Rico for instance. Hopkins did that, so in his mind, HE HAD TO BEAT TRINIDAD. He's not just going to lose to a guy whom he's insulted along with his people in his own backyard and whom he's worked so hard to unnerve. I think its helps him get up for the moment. Keeps him hungry and determined.

I think he goes out on a limb and says and does things that puts him on the edge so that he can psychologically pump himself up and also hope to get on the other guy's nerves.

He's hoping Joe falls into the emotional trap and gets unfocused. I don't think it will work honestly, but it adds to bad blood. If these guys didn't like each other before, then even moreso now.

I don't agree with it because I don't think there is ever a need to bring race into the matter. But if that gets B-Hop psyched along with the help of promotion for the fight, then you can't really say much. AFterall, this why we're having the fight.
namor
QUOTE(PR316 @ Dec 8 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]369089[/snapback]
I think Hopkins feeds off his own talk and actions in that it helps him stay hungry for the fight.
The flag incident in Puerto Rico for instance. Hopkins did that, so in his mind, HE HAD TO BEAT TRINIDAD. He's not just going to lose to a guy whom he's insulted along with his people in his own backyard and whom he's worked so hard to unnerve. I think its helps him get up for the moment. Keeps him hungry and determined.
I think he goes out on a limb and says and does things that puts him on the edge so that he can psychologically pump himself up and also hope to get on the other guy's nerves.
He's hoping Joe falls into the emotional trap and gets unfocused. I don't think it will work honestly, but it adds to bad blood. If these guys didn't like each other before, then even moreso now.
I don't agree with it because I don't think there is ever a need to bring race into the matter. But if that gets B-Hop psyched along with the help of promotion for the fight, then you can't really say much. AFterall, this why we're having the fight.

Boxing needs publicity to get bigger,so i think it can potentialy benefit boxing in the long run.
Tha Docta
i am white and i took no offense to what hopkins said. in fact, i laughed my ass off for a while when i read that quote. funny shit. and who cares if im not allowed to say the same thing about a black guy, the shit is still funny regardless.
Method
PS - I'm pulling for the white boy big time, but the black man gonna whip the dogshit outta him. I hope I'm wrong, but watching the weigh in (yes, we all know, you can't draw conclusions about weigh ins, but I know both fighters too)...I mean, Floyd is just physically a lot bigger than Hatton....not so much in height, but he is just a lot bigger looking....thicker...bigger....and we all know the speed/skills that go along with it. I know it's wrong, but I always thought 147 just disfavors Ricky, and after seeing him vs Collazo, and considcering the disparity between Collazo and Floyd....Im pullling for Hatton, but I think I am gonna lay money on Mayweather.

Thes on lee wan....ri kee hattttton.
WWE
Hopkins is a liar. he has lost to a white man. RJJ is white - white trash.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(WWE @ Dec 9 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]369454[/snapback]

nono.gif
imperial
QUOTE(WWE @ Dec 9 2007, 07:50 AM) [snapback]369454[/snapback]

Dam son don't quit your day job !! That joke was mad gay !!

X3_Bazooka_X3
I just think that its okay for me to say what the fuck I want in terms of how I feel about someone I mean you will all understand right? I mean its all in fun for the fight right? Fuck no, there is no excuse promoting a fight or not there is just no excuse for that shit I dont care who you are, nobody has the fucking right to say shit like that especially someone that has the kind of status that Hopkins has its pathetic and low, its a cheap way to sell any kind of fight period and I hope God finds his way to get back at Hopkins for that shit, What goes around does come around and beleive me when it comes back around usally it kicks you in the ass harder than you sent it.
neophyte7
Quite taking it so personal... He doesn't even hear you screaming. Save your breath.
Imperius3
What Hopkins said really wasn't that bad. No one should take it personal or feel alienated. That's just part of his character, and he probably said it mostly to draw hype.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(snoopnick @ Dec 8 2007, 01:36 AM) [snapback]368976[/snapback]

This type of attitude is why there will never be equality. People hold onto past injustices instead of dealing with the here & now & saying that it is worse to say "I will not lose to a black man" is just as racist as the reverse. No more no less.

Meth was right though Hopkins is pure street hood in a velvet glove & the way he carried on it is clear that he is a bitter human at heart who feels like he has been wronged & disrespected his whole life.

QUOTE(snoopnick @ Dec 8 2007, 09:43 AM) [snapback]369026[/snapback]
If that's what you're saying I would agree with the general concept of that, it's just that given that the playing field has been so disproportionate throughout history, you can suddenly just say, "ok things are going to be equal now", and ignore the past.

The past is the past & people who want to live in the past are foolish. It's like all the Jews still harping on about the Holocaust. It's over & not going to happen again so move the fuck on & deal with the here & now.
Warlord
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 9 2007, 09:14 PM) [snapback]369682[/snapback]
The past is the past & people who want to live in the past are foolish. It's like all the Jews still harping on about the Holocaust. It's over & not going to happen again so move the fuck on & deal with the here & now.

I see that shit every day here in China. Pathetic, low class motherfuckers griping because of the way Japan blitzed them in World War II, demanding constant public apologies and shit. Move on, goddamn it. What will harping about history do? It won't change shit. Grow up, grow some balls, and move the fuck on. Stop bitching like pussies all the time about gay shit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.