Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mayweather VS Cotto
FightHype Community > OTHER HYPE > Archives
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Jack 1000
The Margarito fight comes down to what Arum wants to do, and the last thing that would surprise me is if we see the two of them share a ring. Mosley II, DLH, Mayweather, Margarito...I have no problem with Cotto's camp choosing any of these guys as opponents.

I think that Margarito would be the easiest opponent for Cotto. While I believe that Margarito is somewhat overrated, it wouldn't be SOOOOO easy as to be a walk in the park for Cotto, but it could be a nice "stay busy" fight for him while negotiations are worked out for the bigger name fighters. BUT everyone should stay away from Williams. Williams is a threat to anybody because of his size, awkward style, and reach. It's unfortunate for Paul, but he just doesn't bring in the big money.

Jack
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 12 2007, 11:56 AM) [snapback]370146[/snapback]
You assume that Floyd will want the fight by the middle of next year - which I am not so sure about. Cotto has already come out and said how disappointed he is that Floyd wants to take a vacation - if that fight does not happen in '08, I think we can safely assume that it will not be because Cotto is ducking him; Floyd is bored with the sport and wants a break...those were his exact words.

Floyd also said that he was going to retire after the ODLH fight.

Now I can understand if Floyd does indeed keep to his word and I'll have no reason to critisize Cotto if that is indeed the case. We don't know that to actually be the case yet so we'll just have to wait and see. I believe that Cotto's people don't want any parts of Floyd and if the Oscar fight doesn't come off [as I suspect it wont] we'll see Cotto's people calling out everyone but Floyd.

Cotto Mosley II summer 2008...

CEO: if ever you start a Cotto hate wagon please add my name to the list. Thank you...
JD
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370150[/snapback]

Now I can understand if Floyd does indeed keep to his word and I'll have no reason to critisize Cotto if that is indeed the case. We don't know that to actually be the case yet so we'll just have to wait and see. I believe that Cotto's people don't want any parts of Floyd and if the Oscar fight doesn't come off [as I suspect it wont] we'll see Cotto's people calling out everyone but Floyd.

CEO: if ever you start a Cotto hate wagon please add my name to the list. Thank you...

Yeah, but no one believed Floyd than...did you? Besides, Floyd isn't retiring, he says he is taking a break - and you cannot expect Cotto to waste a year or so waiting on him. I think it is pretty clear that Cotto is genuine in his desire to get Floyd in the ring in '08...I have seen nothing that would indicate otherwise. That said, I really don't see how fighting Oscar is any more of a daunting task than rematching Mosley. They just had a successful PPV, packed out the Garden, and fought in an entertaining, close, competitive fight that many feel should have been a draw...how is granting a guy like Mosley a rematch taking an easy route?

I mean, so often we talk about true greats granting rematches when they fight close fights...than when we discuss the possibility of a guy like Cotto actually doing it, and some (well, you so far) want to hate on him for it. I don't get it. It's not like he is trying to rematch Gianluca Branco; we are talking about Shane Mosley here.

If Cotto gives Mosley a rematch, I really don't see how we can get on him for it. Perhaps it will all end up moot, and Floyd and Cotto will decide to fight in June of next year...time will tell.
The CEO
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370149[/snapback]
I think that Margarito would be the easiest opponent for Cotto. While I believe that Margarito is somewhat overrated, it wouldn't be SOOOOO easy as to be a walk in the park for Cotto, but it could be a nice "stay busy" fight for him while negotiations are worked out for the bigger name fighters. BUT everyone should stay away from Williams. Williams is a threat to anybody because of his size, awkward style, and reach. It's unfortunate for Paul, but he just doesn't bring in the big money.

Jack

I agree...Cotto should go ahead and squash that Margarito guy once and for all....and Williams has the best chance of beating Mayweather.

QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 12 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]370150[/snapback]

Sorry...but I like Cotto...he's trying to work his way to the top the old fashioned way....by earning it. He can box. He can punch. He's got heart. He's confident, yet humble...and all business. Gotta like Cotto...

I WAS thinking about starting a Manny Steward Hate Wagon...but everyone would join it, and there'd be no resistance...so it wouldn't be any fun.
Method
I think that Margarito would be the easiest opponent for Cotto. While I believe that Margarito is somewhat overrated, it wouldn't be SOOOOO easy as to be a walk in the park for Cotto, but it could be a nice "stay busy" fight for him while negotiations are worked out for the bigger name fighters.

LMAO. So now Margarito is nothing but a walk through, "stay busy" type of fight for Cotto? That is about one of the dumbest fucking things I've read on this site in a while.

Y. Stay busy by putting your career on the line in a potential blood bath. Great strategy.

PS - Throw me on the Manny Steward HATE Wagon.
Nay_Sayer
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 12 2007, 12:46 PM) [snapback]370153[/snapback]
Sorry...but I like Cotto...he's trying to work his way to the top the old fashioned way....by earning it. He can box. He can punch. He's got heart. He's confident, yet humble...and all business. Gotta like Cotto...

I didn't like the way he ran from SSM in the later rounds of their fight.

I WAS thinking about starting a Manny Steward Hate Wagon...but everyone would join it, and there'd be no resistance...so it wouldn't be any fun.

LOL...
JD
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 12 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]370154[/snapback]
LMAO. So now Margarito is nothing but a walk through, "stay busy" type of fight for Cotto? That is about one of the dumbest fucking things I've read on this site in a while.

Y. Stay busy by putting your career on the line in a potential blood bath. Great strategy.

PS - Throw me on the Manny Steward HATE Wagon.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing.

Cotto will get drawn into a brawl with Margarito...which ain't exactly going to be just a stay busy fight. In fact, as I have said in other threads...if they fight, I think Margarito ends up beating him.
The CEO
I see a real good scrap with Cotto breaking Margarito from the inside out. Margarito would make a good account of himself, and it'd be a great fight to watch...
Method
Im not saying Cotto won't come through victorious (though I think it's a pick 'em, probably even favor Marg), but I AM saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he left a piece of himself in the ring when the night is over, and that is NEVER an outcome you want to deal with when you're merely trying to "stay busy".
singletrack
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 12 2007, 11:59 AM) [snapback]370136[/snapback]
I did say easier than Hatton, due mainly to my concern that Floyd will have an easier time pot shotting because of the footspeed disparity. What makes it all the more crazy is that I think Cotto does have a better chance than Hatton did because if he lands, he will hurt Floyd...but I just don't think he will. And if he gets stuck fighting at a distance because of Floyd's respect for him, and constant movement, than it will be an easier fight for Floyd.

No knock on Cotto at all, the dude is extremely skilled and ready and willing to fight anyone - I just think that that fact that Floyd does not have the same type of fighting spirit Mosley did will make this a very hard fight on him.

Besides, I am starting to think that we are more likely to see Cotto - Mosley II or Cotto - Margarito.

I just don't think Floyd can avoid Cotto for 12 rounds.

If DLH/Cotto doesn't happen, then I think we will see Margarito/Cotto in PR. I'm almost hoping for the latter because it will be a fun trip and I will get better seats ; )
JD
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 12 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]370161[/snapback]
I just don't think Floyd can avoid Cotto for 12 rounds.

If DLH/Cotto doesn't happen, then I think we will see Margarito/Cotto in PR. I'm almost hoping for the latter because it will be a fun trip and I will get better seats ; )

Maybe he can't....hopefully we get to find out. I don't necessarily agree with you...but whatever...all good. I still want to see him try to avoid Cotto and effectively pick him apart. If he can it is a terrific win, if he can't, you can crack out the Cristal.

If the Margarito fight happens, it will almost definitely happen at the Garden.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 12 2007, 12:57 PM) [snapback]370158[/snapback]
I see a real good scrap with Cotto breaking Margarito from the inside out. Margarito would make a good account of himself, and it'd be a great fight to watch...

Yea,

It would be a good fight! I just don't think that Margarito is "all that." Maybe "stay busy" isn't exactly the right phrase. But Cotto is going to want to get back in the ring in '08 and rather than being forced to wait and see what the others are going to do, and since Cintron is out with his bad hand, Margarito-Cotto would be a good fight. I had forgotten that Floyd wants time off and with the victory over Hatton, he deserves it. Than in the mix of all of this, Hatton can go back down to his natural 140# weight.

Jack
singletrack
QUOTE(JD @ Dec 12 2007, 02:04 PM) [snapback]370162[/snapback]
Maybe he can't....hopefully we get to find out. I don't necessarily agree with you...but whatever...all good. I still want to see him try to avoid Cotto and effectively pick him apart. If he can it is a terrific win, if he can't, you can crack out the Cristal.

I agree...all the credit in the world to Floyd if he can potshot to victory, even if it isn't a style that I find appealing.

If the Margarito fight happens, it will almost definitely happen at the Garden.

It would be a real shame if Cotto never fights in PR again, but that may be a fact of life : (
The CEO
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 12 2007, 01:59 PM) [snapback]370159[/snapback]
Im not saying Cotto won't come through victorious (though I think it's a pick 'em, probably even favor Marg), but I AM saying that it wouldn't surprise me if he left a piece of himself in the ring when the night is over, and that is NEVER an outcome you want to deal with when you're merely trying to "stay busy".

That's another reason I like Cotto...he's the type to stay busy with a challenge if he can't fight the best.

As much as the Margarito fans turned me off to him, I can't deny he's contender material....he's a tough guy with a chin...a real scrapper with a high output of power punches...but his Boxing is definitely lacking (i.e. always on the attack with slow, wide punches)...

In my opinion, Cotto can do almost everything Margarito can do and do it better...Margarito's height and reach are his only obvious edges...Margarito would throw alot so I can see Cotto taking some punishment here and there...but I can REALLY see Cotto boxing and banging Margarito out in the later rounds...
JD
In the end, I think this comes down to chin - and that is where my pick comes from. Man, this would be a hell of a scrap though.

As I said, if Cotto were to fight Mosley again, DLH, Mayweather or Margarito by the middle of next year...you would have to be a flat out hater to criticize him. Any of those fights qualify as tough fights for him.
The CEO
Does your personal Chin category include the ability to take it to the body, JD?

because I think Cotto's body attack is a real difference maker in this matchup...in that it would essentially slow Margarito down across the board.

When I say Chin, I mean their beard only...so I think their chins are around the same...with maybe an edge to Margarito...
JD
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 12 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]370168[/snapback]
Does your personal Chin category include the ability to take it to the body, JD?

because I think Cotto's body attack is a real difference maker in this matchup...in that it would essentially slow Margarito down across the board.

When I say Chin, I mean their beard only...so I think their chins are around the same...with maybe an edge to Margarito...

With chin I mean head, which is an area I favor Margarito...but I see nothing that would indicate that Margarito cannot take it downstairs.

I think that in the end, this may be one of the most entertaining scraps we can get right now. The more I think about it, the more I hope it is Cotto's next fight.
The CEO
laugh.gif...ok...I thought so...for example, Etienne had a bad "Chin" because the whole top half of his head was like a baby's soft spot.

and yeah...I'm liking this fight too the more we talk about it...
JD
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 12 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]370170[/snapback]
laugh.gif...ok...I thought so...for example, Etienne had a bad "Chin" because the whole top half of his head was like a baby's soft spot.

and yeah...I'm liking this fight too the more we talk about it...

LOL...yes, I would have called Etienne chinny...though, it was really a case of him having a suspect upper head.
Method
In order for Cotto to get near Margarito's body, I think he'd have to eat a helluva lot of leather. I'd throw money on Marg to beat Cotto.
salvador
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 12 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]370176[/snapback]
In order for Cotto to get near Margarito's body, I think he'd have to eat a helluva lot of leather. I'd throw money on Marg to beat Cotto.

Yeah, and after Tony's loss to Williams and Cotto's big wins this year, the odds would probably be pretty favorable: almost Mayweather/Hatton favorable.
I agree with JD that it would come down to chins.
BrutalBodyShots
Whether or not Cotto would beat Margarito really isn't the point... either way it would be a very tough fight on both guys and probably shave a year or two off of their careers. Margarito will never be "great" however where Cotto has the potential to be "great" so IMO it doesn't make sense for Cotto to risk himself in this fight. A loss would set back the momentum he has built up over the last few years, and even in a win he will take a LOT of punches and possibly look a notch worse in his next fight. Margarito is a fight I would only take if I were in Cotto's shoes if I had already peaked out in my career... which Cotto hasn't.

singletrack
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 12 2007, 07:54 PM) [snapback]370207[/snapback]
Whether or not Cotto would beat Margarito really isn't the point... either way it would be a very tough fight on both guys and probably shave a year or two off of their careers. Margarito will never be "great" however where Cotto has the potential to be "great" so IMO it doesn't make sense for Cotto to risk himself in this fight. A loss would set back the momentum he has built up over the last few years, and even in a win he will take a LOT of punches and possibly look a notch worse in his next fight. Margarito is a fight I would only take if I were in Cotto's shoes if I had already peaked out in my career... which Cotto hasn't.

Options are:

PBF
DLH
Margarito - tough, big, slow, limited
??
Paul - tougher puzzle than Margarito - huge, fast hands, high volume
Cintron - devastating KO puncher with psychological issues
Mosley - already beat him. He will really give him a beating in a rematch, so that could be good as well.

singletrack
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 12 2007, 03:23 PM) [snapback]370176[/snapback]

Don't do it Meth - it's the wrong play. Althoooough, I bet you will get good odds, so in pure "gambling" terms it might make sense, but Cotto will win and then you won't ; )

If this fight happens, it will be in PR or MSG. Margarito needs to win by KO to beat Miguel in either place. Might as well bet Margarito by KO.
BigG
How I think Cotto would do against Williams, Cintron, Margarito.

Williams: WIlliams beats Cotto...unless Cotto gets to his body. But Williams UD.

Margarito I think Cotto beats Margarito but would have a good chance of getting stopped himself. But I just like Cotto's skillset and technique more in this fight. Plus IMO his hands are quicker then Margarito. And Margarito has never been in with a puncher or fighter like Cotto before. But it would be a real good fight.

Cintron: LOL..did you see how he looked in his last fight. Without a doubt the worst champ at Welterweight. His last opponent was stopped by Hopkins newphew in 4 and blown out by Mike Arnatous. He was also rocked against David Estrada. And we all saw what happened the moment he stepped up vs. Margarito. Possibly the most overrated Welterweight. Cintron has a big punch..thats it. The man has little heart, average skills, average speed. He gets stopped in 5.

The CEO
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 12 2007, 07:37 PM) [snapback]370204[/snapback]
Nope. It would be never ending. You need a fighter that can lose like Hatton did. You eventually found peace after his loss, how are you going to find that with Manny? I think it will just turn you into a bitter 70 year old man. lol.
On a side note, I was reading somewhere that Pavlik said he hates young men that play golf and enjoy drinking scotch. I think he actually went a step further and said they were faggots. I was seeing red, but then I remembered I don't play golf.

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

thumbsup_anim.gif

I'd fucking take it to him if he said that though...be at his next weigh in with a gasoline filled Scotch bottle...casually blow my nose with a handkerchief, stuff it in, light it up.........

laugh.gif
BrutalBodyShots
Cintron? Shit let's not even talk about this guy anymore. The dude couldn't deal with SWATS and PUSHES (not punches) from Feliciano. Cintron is done the next time he fights a top guy.

salvador
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 12 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]370207[/snapback]

That's a really interesting point, and I'd bet that Cotto's team wouldn't have signed to fight Margarito last June if Arum didn't promote both of them. And although I loved Margarito for taking the Williams fight instead, it was a damn stupid thing to do because I don't think he'll ever get another chance at a superfight. Because I sure don't see Judah, Mosley, DLH, Floyd or Cotto ever going out of their way to fight Tony, particularly since there is way less hype around him after the Williams loss.

streetlion1
QUOTE(Nay_Sayer @ Dec 12 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]370150[/snapback]

COTTO WANT NO PART OF FLOYD?!?! ITS CLEAR TO EVERYONE THAT ITS FLOYD WHO WANTS NO PART OF COTTO! OR MOSLEY! OR MARGARITO FOR THAT MATTER! MAYWEATHER IS THE POUND 4 POUND KING OF DUCKING PEOPLE! THATS Y TO ME HE'LL NEVER BE GREAT! GOOD, BUT NOT GREAT! COTTO-MOSLEY AS GOOD AS IT WAS, ISNT WHAT PEOPLE WANT TO SEE. FLOYD SAYS HE'S THE BEST THEN PROVE IT BY BEATING THE BEST!! COTTO IS THE TRUE WELTERWEIGHT CHAMP,AND HAS PROVED HE IS THE BEST-MOST COMPLETE BOXER OUT THERE! NO-ONE IS SCARED OF FLOYD AND I DONT REMEMBER ANYONE EVER DUCKING HIM. HE IS THE ONE WHO IS CONSTANTLY MAKING EXCUSES AND TURNING DOWN FIGHTS. IF HE FOUGHT MOSLEY AND COTTO THERE WOULD BE 2 LOSSES ON THAT RECORD!
Frankenzilla
There is always going to be a next great challenger. You can't fight them all.

Miguel Cotto is the last big name left for Floyd to conquer. Noone else in the top 10 stands much a chance of dethroning him.

Floyd needs to fight cotto now.

Before floyd gets older
Before cotto gets better
Before the demand becomes greater

If I was Floyd, I'd get Miguels ass in the ring while he is still green, Tko that ass, and retire on the absolute top of the sport. No more Floyds ducking this guy or that guy.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Frankenzilla @ Dec 13 2007, 11:16 AM) [snapback]370336[/snapback]
If I was Floyd, I'd get Miguels ass in the ring while he is still green, Tko that ass, and retire on the absolute top of the sport. No more Floyds ducking this guy or that guy.

Oh so if Mayweather beats Cotto he would have beaten a "green" fighter in your view? I think it's pretty unfair to call Cotto "green" at this point... and if you really believe that how would you really value Mayweather's win over Cotto since he was "green" and all?

Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 12 2007, 09:25 PM) [snapback]370241[/snapback]
Cintron? Shit let's not even talk about this guy anymore. The dude couldn't deal with SWATS and PUSHES (not punches) from Feliciano. Cintron is done the next time he fights a top guy.

Damn... I don't know you rip on more. Is it Jesse with his "SWATS and PUSHES" you always mention? Or is it Cintron who you totally think is a terrible all around fighter? Though Jesse has no power, his heart makes up for it. As for Cintron, yes he has MANY flaws, but he is still a champ right now. He has done alright considering he had very little amateur experience. He also hurt his right hand in the first round in that fight, or I am sure he would have gotton Jesse out of there much sooner if he didn't. He looked awesome in the fight with Walter Mattyse, so maybe he had an off night in his last fight. I am not trying to defend him completely, just lets see how he looks in his next fight before you completely write him off. He definately has alot of areas to improve on if he wants to stay on top.
BrutalBodyShots
Streetlion, I've got a little exercise for you. The tools you're going to need are a butter knife and some crazy glue. I'll wait while you go grab those tools...

Ok 5 simple steps:

1. Press your CAPS LOCK key
2. Use the butter knife to pry the CAPS LOCK key off your keyboard.
3. Squeeze a dime-sized circle of crazy glue where the CAPS LOCK key used to be.
4. Wait a half hour.
5. Post again on the forum.
rusty_trombone
Wow, I guess I'm alone in thinking Cotto would make easy work of Margarito, but I do have zero respect for Antonio Margarito.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 13 2007, 12:07 PM) [snapback]370348[/snapback]
Damn... I don't know you rip on more. Is it Jesse with his "SWATS and PUSHES" you always mention? Or is it Cintron who you totally think is a terrible all around fighter? Though Jesse has no power, his heart makes up for it. As for Cintron, yes he has MANY flaws, but he is still a champ right now. He has done alright considering he very little amateur experience. He also hurt his right hand in the first round in that fight, or I am sure he would have gotton Jesse out of there much sooner if he didn't. He looked awesome in the fight with Walter Mattyse, so maybe he had an off night in his last fight. I am not trying to defend him completely, just lets see how he looks in his next fight before you completely write him off. He definately has alot of areas to improve on if he wants to stay on top.

Dude, Feliciano was literally PUSHING Cintron's head back with his "punches." LMAO! I've been watching boxing for a long time and I've never seen a guy throw "punches" with so little force that they push their opponents head back instead of snap it back. Yeah he's got heart, but the kid was swatting flies out there and was sloppy as shit. There's NO EXCUSE for Cintron to have not gotten him out of there sooner. He had already been knocked out 3 times. Feliciano is like a poor mans Wayne McCullough, and the pocket rocket was never anything greater than a work horse in the ring but at least he knew how to properly punch, not push. And I don't buy into the "hurt his right hand with the fight right hand he landed in the fight" BS. Cintron was landing CLEAN right hands all night long (he didn't stop throwing it after the first) and never showed any sign of discomfort until he landed 13-14 CLEAN shots in a row in his final fight ending rally. Cintron has nothing more than a puncher's chance over any top fighter at 147 and I fully expect him to lose the next time he steps it up.

Jack 1000
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 13 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]370352[/snapback]
Dude, Feliciano was literally PUSHING Cintron's head back with his "punches." LMAO! I've been watching boxing for a long time and I've never seen a guy throw "punches" with so little force that they push their opponents head back instead of snap it back. Yeah he's got heart, but the kid was swatting flies out there and was sloppy as shit. There's NO EXCUSE for Cintron to have not gotten him out of there sooner. He had already been knocked out 3 times. Feliciano is like a poor mans Wayne McCullough, and the pocket rocket was never anything greater than a work horse in the ring but at least he knew how to properly punch, not push. And I don't buy into the "hurt his right hand with the fight right hand he landed in the fight" BS. Cintron was landing CLEAN right hands all night long (he didn't stop throwing it after the first) and never showed any sign of discomfort until he landed 13-14 CLEAN shots in a row in his final fight ending rally. Cintron has nothing more than a puncher's chance over any top fighter at 147 and I fully expect him to lose the next time he steps it up.

Agree Brutal,

Feliciano was throwing tons of powder-puff punches and they kept "buzzing" Cintron! I watch that fight and I kept thinking, "Shit, WTF would have happened if Feliciano had a punch?" I actually thought this guy was up by a point or so before the stoppage. Kermit "The Frog" will either get KO'd again, break down crying again, and/or both the next time he is in there with a solid pressure fighter. His one outside 30% chance against a top contender is if he lands a crackling big punch. But other than that--no dice. I think my example would apply to him fighting Williams. He'd lose to Margarito again barring some possible condition of cuts caused by head-butt clashes forcing a stoppage, because Margarito and Cintron are those types of fighters. But against Williams, Cintron I don't think could get inside to do his damage. Williams' size and reach advantages would be too much for him to handle.

Jack
streetlion1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 13 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]370349[/snapback]
Streetlion, I've got a little exercise for you. The tools you're going to need are a butter knife and some crazy glue. I'll wait while you go grab those tools...

Ok 5 simple steps:

1. Press your CAPS LOCK key
2. Use the butter knife to pry the CAPS LOCK key off your keyboard.
3. Squeeze a dime-sized circle of crazy glue where the CAPS LOCK key used to be.
4. Wait a half hour.
5. Post again on the forum.

LOL!! ANYTHING TO GET MY POINT ACROSS!!
singletrack
QUOTE(rusty_trombone @ Dec 13 2007, 12:15 PM) [snapback]370351[/snapback]
Wow, I guess I'm alone in thinking Cotto would make easy work of Margarito, but I do have zero respect for Antonio Margarito.

The fact that people are picking Margarito definitely surprises me.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 13 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]370417[/snapback]

Me too Singletrack,

Margarito is talked about as if he's had some major accomplishments. And he hasn't done crap in the sport but fight second-rate at-best fighters. Even on his comeback fight after Williams did a number on his azzz, who does he fight??? Another C-rated fighter, golden nobody. What justification or rational can be used to rate margarito over Cotto.

Cotto would wreck margarito today ...... tomorrow ...... next year ...... you pick the time and the place and Cotto wins every time.
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Dec 13 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]370399[/snapback]
LOL!! ANYTHING TO GET MY POINT ACROSS!!

I think you missed step one. Try again.

rusty_trombone
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 13 2007, 07:29 PM) [snapback]370417[/snapback]

yeah, i regard Margarito as basically a shop fighter, doesn't do anything well, but can get hit in the face alot and still stand up. I really don't think Margarito would land many of his slow, wide shots and certainly get hit alot cause his defense resembles the Iraqi army.
streetlion1
QUOTE(BrutalBodyShots @ Dec 13 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]370422[/snapback]
I think you missed step one. Try again.

WHATEVER, TALK BOXING!
BrutalBodyShots
QUOTE(streetlion1 @ Dec 14 2007, 07:24 AM) [snapback]370490[/snapback]
WHATEVER, TALK BOXING!

I will. I rarely ever read posts that are in ALL CAPS unless they are 3 words like your post above. I'm sure there are others that don't read them either. So I guess if your point of being here is to not be heard or recognized by all means continue to post paragraphs in ALL CAPS.

singletrack
QUOTE(dbdbdb @ Dec 13 2007, 08:13 PM) [snapback]370421[/snapback]
Me too Singletrack,

Margarito is talked about as if he's had some major accomplishments. And he hasn't done crap in the sport but fight second-rate at-best fighters. Even on his comeback fight after Williams did a number on his azzz, who does he fight??? Another C-rated fighter, golden nobody. What justification or rational can be used to rate margarito over Cotto.

Cotto would wreck margarito today ...... tomorrow ...... next year ...... you pick the time and the place and Cotto wins every time.

The funniest thing about the Golden Johnson fight were the highlights on the scoreboard at MSG before the Margarito fight to hype the crowd up. They show him fighting in front of, what appeared to be, a hundred people and he was getting hit by the other guy! I don't even think they could find decent highlights of the guy.

hahahahaha

Margarito is a guy that looks dangerous on paper because of his size, his toughness, and his power. But, like you said, he is a shop fighter. An elite fighter like Cotto should be able to exploit all of his weaknesses while adapting to his strengths. If Cotto can't do that, then he doesn't deserve to be champ. But all indications are that Cotto is versatile and Margarito fights EXACTLY the same against everyone regardless of whether it is working or not. If he had made any kind of adjustments against Williams - throw when he throws, be first, shoot straight shots, buy an uppercut, etc...he would have won that fight. Tony could really re-invent himself with proper coaching.

BigG
Honestly, it's all on Floyd at this point.

Cotto has already stated that he's ready for Floyd.

It's the biggest fight in boxing.

It's the best fight for Floyd's legacy.

Floyd should fight Cotto, then call it a career.

Floyd can actually retire now because he really has done it all. But it would be dissapointing if he left without fighting Cotto.
xxxxxx
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 14 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]370532[/snapback]
Honestly, it's all on Floyd at this point.

Cotto has already stated that he's ready for Floyd.

It's the biggest fight in boxing.

It's the best fight for Floyd's legacy.

Floyd should fight Cotto, then call it a career.

Floyd can actually retire now because he really has done it all. But it would be dissapointing if he left without fighting Cotto.

Yup, I agree George.Mayweather needs to fight Cotto in 2008.He says his body needs a break though and that is understandable.I hope if Cotto fights Oscar in May that Cotto wins to make the fight bigger with Floyd.Then Mayweather-Cotto can be made around November sometime.That would give Floyd a much needed rest and keep the fight intact.Not to mention, Cotto would be an even bigger star if he were to get by Oscar.The only problem with that is if Oscar beat Cotto.Then Who would Floyd fight?I really don't want to see Mayweather-De La Hoya II.Cotto already beat Mosley and Williams already beat Margarito and Williams don't bring the money yet.I doubt Mayweather fights Forrest.Maybe a Spinks fight, but I doubt the fans would want to see that one.Personally there all fights I would watch but Mayweather-Cotto is the one fight I reeally want to see.
xxxxxx
I figured I would return and bump this thread since the fight is less than 30 days away. I started to get more excited after watching the face-off. Both fighters look determined to put on an exciting fight. I've always respected Cotto and rooted for him so it will be difficult to see him fall short in this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.