Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does Larry Merchant read the Fight Hype Boards????
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
salvador
I absolutely believe that Larry Merchant read the Hatton - Mayweather Prefight Thread and quoted one of my posts in last night's telecast. It would make sense that a commentator would go online and read the websites and even the boards (particularly this one!) before a telecast and I think that the fact that he worded his response the way he did to an obviously planned question from Lampley is the proof. The following is the post, which includes a quote from JD:

Official Mayweather-Hatton Fight Hype Preview Thread on Dec. 6:

JD: "I think we are going to see a close fight, and I think Floyd is going to be more offensive minded than some might expect. I am looking forward to it."

Salvador's response: "Samuel Johnson described remarriage as a triumph of HOPE OVER EXPERIENCE. I love your optimism, but I just can't take the bait. Floyd's beaten it out of me."

And now for the prefight discussion between Lampley and Merchant:

HBO Prefight Analysis, December 8:

Lampley: "Six months ago in this arena, Floyd Mayweather and Oscar de la Hoya smashed all records for financial impact but they fell well short of creating the kind of excitement, particularly that the general public had hoped for in the fight. Can Mayweather and Hatton reach more modest expectations here tonight?"

Merchant: "Possibly, but to predict it would be HOPE OVER EXPERIENCE."

Coincidence?????? I really doubt it. Seriously, "HOPE OVER EXPERIENCE" is a pretty damn unusual way of wording it. And so until I hear otherwise, I'm working under the assumption that my idea made it's way from Fight Hype to the broadcast and I made a mark on one of the biggest fight broadcasts of all time!

I love Larry and I hope he continues calling fights with Lampley until he dies. And tonight he proved himself all over again with another gem: "Ricky Hatton looks like it's always 3rd down and 1 and he's trying to dive across the first down marker." - the very best announcer, along with Lampley, in all of sports!
Col Reb
I agree with you 100%. They are the greatest. I really enjoyed Lampley's comments about the Hatton crowd, comparing it to Michigan-Ohio St.
hardhead
QUOTE(salvador @ Dec 9 2007, 01:31 PM) [snapback]369458[/snapback]
I absolutely believe that Larry Merchant read the Hatton - Mayweather Prefight Thread and quoted one of my posts in last night's telecast. It would make sense that a commentator would go online and read the websites and even the boards (particularly this one!) before a telecast and I think that the fact that he worded his response the way he did to an obviously planned question from Lampley is the proof. The following is the post, which includes a quote from JD:

Official Mayweather-Hatton Fight Hype Preview Thread on Dec. 6:

JD: "I think we are going to see a close fight, and I think Floyd is going to be more offensive minded than some might expect. I am looking forward to it."

Salvador's response: "Samuel Johnson described remarriage as a triumph of HOPE OVER EXPERIENCE. I love your optimism, but I just can't take the bait. Floyd's beaten it out of me."

And now for the prefight discussion between Lampley and Merchant:

HBO Prefight Analysis, December 8:

Lampley: "Six months ago in this arena, Floyd Mayweather and Oscar de la Hoya smashed all records for financial impact but they fell well short of creating the kind of excitement, particularly that the general public had hoped for in the fight. Can Mayweather and Hatton reach more modest expectations here tonight?"

Merchant: "Possibly, but to predict it would be HOPE OVER EXPERIENCE."

Coincidence?????? I really doubt it. Seriously, "HOPE OVER EXPERIENCE" is a pretty damn unusual way of wording it. And so until I hear otherwise, I'm working under the assumption that my idea made it's way from Fight Hype to the broadcast and I made a mark on one of the biggest fight broadcasts of all time!

I love Larry and I hope he continues calling fights with Lampley until he dies. And tonight he proved himself all over again with another gem: "Ricky Hatton looks like it's always 3rd down and 1 and he's trying to dive across the first down marker." - the very best announcer, along with Lampley, in all of sports!

Larry's a smart ass dude and especially quotes and those little trademark sayings he comes up with. I'm sure he has a shit load of them in that 70 something year old brain of his but who knows if he really came here and got that idea from your post, pretty cool though regardless, at the very least, as they say, "great minds think alike" drinks.gif
salvador
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 10 2007, 05:42 AM) [snapback]369728[/snapback]
Hope over Experience? Is that it? I don't know man, but that sounds like something a lot of people could say. I thought it was going to be something a little more unique.

Really? Because I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that. There were a million ways Merchant could have phrased the idea that Mayweather sells blood and guts but delivers ballet, but he chose Hope Over Experience. And he didn't reference Floyd's entire career, just the one fight with DLH, which IMO made the analogy kind of forced. It's not like he couldn't have used that exact quote before virtually every one of Floyd's fights, but he chose this one.

Maybe it was a staffer of his that read the quote here, but I really think the coincidence was a little too much to believe - especially given the timing of the post and given the fact that it came from the prefight analysis thread. If the quote had been on some random thread, then it would be more of a stretch. But if I was an announcer, I'd be looking to get every single opinion out there before going on the air just in case I came across something interesting, especially boards like this (and I really do think this is the best/most informed board there is) where the opinions go beneath the surface.

Anyway, if you've heard people say it then maybe I'm wrong. But I've never heard anyone say it because it's not the kind of thing that just rolls of one's tongue.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.