Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: American Fighters & Lack of fan-base
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
dbdbdb
I was talking with a friend today and we were talking about this topic.

WHAT American fighter has a huge fan-base here in the states?????

This is excluding any Mexican and Puerto rican fans who throw major support behind any fighter of common nationality.

I honestly could name any outside of the legends {Leonard, Tyson etc...}. The current crop of fighters\Champions don't really have alot of fans in the states.

Is it just the people in the US that don't really care about boxing??
Lil-lightsout
1-Too many other sports to compete with, boxing usually is not followed by the general public like other sports.

2-America has NO dominant heavyweights anymore.

3-All the legends are gone pretty much, and no one else really stands out or is promoted properly.

4-UFC,MMA, etc. seem to have the regular person on the street more interested in there type of fighting these days.

5- Boxing is never mentioned on sportscenter, unless it is a MAJOR fight, basically it gets little press.

6- I think we do need a superstar to help boxing, someone please standup.

7- Maybe if they showed alot more fights on free tv and not so much on pay channels and PPV, people would get a chance to watch more fights.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.
Method
Too many other sports to compete with, boxing usually is not followed by the general public like other sports.

Yup. Plus, unlike Europe (and other foreign countries, the U.S. is full of talent at multiple weightclasses, so the fan base is diluteda bit. It's easy for a region to get behind a Ricky Hatton or a Joe Calzaghe. They are an exception to the rule over there. The primary sport there is soccer. So when they have one guy that stands out head and shoulders above their domestic peers in a sport...it's a lot easier to get behind a guy who's making a run.
hardhead
QUOTE(Fitz @ Dec 10 2007, 11:03 PM) [snapback]369848[/snapback]
I'm not American, but I think it's because American fighters lack charisma. They not only have to be good fighters that are knock out artists, they need to have a personality or some kind of charisma as well. Probably needs to be a heavyweight as well. Well nothing less than a welterweight anyways.

It doesn't have much to do with charisma, the truth is Boxing is and has not been anywhere close to being a mainstream sport in years in America therefore your bread and butter mainstream audience just isn't as interested as say football, basketball, baseball and now the UFC. I hate the coverage or lack there of it gets but some of it is Boxing's own fault with the PPV's, with PPV's minimizes the target audience so therefore the general public at the same time has outcast us and just played us off as dead. This has hurt the exposure to a more broader audience over time. You could have the most charismatic fighter in the world but if there's no camera's around him then it doesn't mean shit.

Ever since they've ben doing those 24/7 shows I can see a definitely difference in buzz for the fight, people that aren't even big fans will ask about the fight or whatever, that just shows you what a little 30 minute coverage and exposure will do, the only problem is we haven't learned our lesson with PPV's and instead of trying to make less(and getmore fights on HBO and regular TV) we're putting on more it seems and the price hasn't gone down(and in some cases gone up).

EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE, EXPOSURE. That's where it all has to start, whatever can increase that boxing must do more of.

moscow bear
QUOTE(Method @ Dec 11 2007, 12:52 AM) [snapback]369863[/snapback]
Yup. Plus, unlike Europe (and other foreign countries, the U.S. is full of talent at multiple weightclasses, so the fan base is diluteda bit. It's easy for a region to get behind a Ricky Hatton or a Joe Calzaghe. They are an exception to the rule over there. The primary sport there is soccer. So when they have one guy that stands out head and shoulders above their domestic peers in a sport...it's a lot easier to get behind a guy who's making a run.

its not true: Germans have no top-class boxers now (except maybe Sturm), but you should see their boxing shows: its a fucking fiesta. True, there are many good German-based fighters, but it takes an entire nation's enthusiasm and love for the sport to build this kind of scene.
dbdbdb
I think PPV, Don King Productions and greed has done the most damage to the sport. I remember when I was growing up there were always a regular TV fight on every other saturday. This was the Nigel Benn, Azuma Nelson, Iran Barkley, etc ... era. But as Don King started signing the more popular dominant fighters, then every fight they were in had to be PPV. Now you would be hard pressed to see a FREE good fight on regular TV. And as stated that is how the general populous is reached.

Sadly, a friend stated that there isn't one non-mexican\Puerto rican fighter in the states that could fill 25% of Madison Square alone.

How is it that with all the lack of PPV and regular TV coverage that fighter's receive here in the states, can the mexican & Puerto rican fighter's get such a huge draw??? They get even less coverage than others, but their fans will come out in droves to support their fav. How are these guys getting soo popular?

It seems like the really big fights have become the place for the movie stars to be seen at. So, they snatch up all the best seats for the fight, then fade into the sunset to get laid or whatever, until the next big event. They're not real fans of the sport, they're "EVENT FANS". Its just another place for them to be on camera.

The little guy has to settle for PPV at $54 to even get close.
Southeastpaw
Gatti had a big following.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(Southeastpaw @ Dec 10 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]369886[/snapback]
Gatti had a big following.

He is one of the exceptions ...... I think this was largely due to the fact that Gatti lived near and was a common fixture in AC. And most if not all of gatti's fights were all out Blood & Glory type fights.
Rivado
Wait a minute there.

The biggest name in boxing is American. Oscar De La Hoya.
Rivado
And Gatti is Canadian.
BigG
Jermain Taylor has a big following in Little Rock....
tonywithfighthype
Hey TS,

Who is that in your sig???

Oscar Delahoya has a huge following. Floyd seems to be getting up there now in popularity as well.
kidbazooka1
DLH certianly has no shortage of fans.
Maxy
The large majority of people who supported Hatton on Saturday night weren't boxing fans, they were football fans who followed Ricky. We've got the world cruiserweight champion David Haye but his fan base is nothing like what Hatton had. Junior Witter - yeah he's popular in Bradford but his fan base is also relatively small. Gavin Rees...um....Gavin who? Enzo Mac is popular with the Welsh...

Probably the biggest name behind Hatton in this country at the minute is Amir Khan but that is simply because every fight since his pro debut (and even his last few amateur fights) have been screened on free to air prime time television. If America showed a lot more of their prospects on free TV I'm pretty sure the fan base would be incredible. Although it has to be said, they do need a heavyweight to really ignite the interest again.
The Original MrFactor
Boxing has too much competition in the US. We do have popular fighters. DLH, Mosely, Mayweather, Roy Jones. However, there are too many other sports that are more accesible in the states. the NFL, NBA and MLB are all too easy to plop a few bucks down and get a seat. The world series, superbowl and nba championship are all on free tv. PPV has ruined boxing. You took a common man's sport out of the hands of the common man.
ROLL DEEP
Exposure is the main thing, IMO.

People will beleive anyting if its shown to them enough. It hasn't even gotta be the most exciting fighter either. Stick them on a show like 24/7, make them sound great or whatever and you'll create a following.

People will be used to seeing and hearing about them, so naturally, they'll know who they are and it will generate some sort of interest.
dbdbdb
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Dec 11 2007, 08:47 AM) [snapback]369983[/snapback]
Boxing has too much competition in the US. We do have popular fighters. DLH, Mosely, Mayweather, Roy Jones. However, there are too many other sports that are more accesible in the states. the NFL, NBA and MLB are all too easy to plop a few bucks down and get a seat. The world series, superbowl and nba championship are all on free tv. PPV has ruined boxing. You took a common man's sport out of the hands of the common man.

thumbsup_anim.gif
hardhead
QUOTE(ROLL DEEP @ Dec 11 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]370005[/snapback]
Exposure is the main thing, IMO.
People will beleive anyting if its shown to them enough. It hasn't even gotta be the most exciting fighter either. Stick them on a show like 24/7, make them sound great or whatever and you'll create a following.

People will be used to seeing and hearing about them, so naturally, they'll know who they are and it will generate some sort of interest.

EXACTLY my point, you could put a tomato can on TV and people will see him and know who he is, therefore when it comes time for him to fight they know who it is and will have interest in seeing the fight.
WolfishPromistah
"You took a common man's sport out of the hands of the common man."

And that's the WHOLE damned thing in the nutshell right there! Thanks, Don King AND Bob Arum! But don't worry, 'cause Oscar's gettin' better at that same shyt e'ry day.
Boxingjunkie
Pretty much everyting that was said is true. There are several factors for boxings fan base. Take Ricky Hattons fans the other night. Whether they were true boxing fans or just backing their country man it doesnt matter. They were there supporting Ricky, England, and the sport of boxing. I am American and love the sport of boxing. I wish my own country men would support our fighters. Most countries will support a fighter more if they are fighting an American. They love to see an American lose. Americans are not as loyal. If they dont like boxing they will not support or buy a fight just because its American vs. England. To bad more American couldnt be more loyal like the Brits.

Boxingjunkie
MarzB
Since everyone agrees the problem is PPV. lets talk solutions.

It's not just DK and Arum (who while I don't wish death on them but I thought were nearing the end of their lines but I realized that Bob Arum's daughter and DK's son Carl King are entrenched in their respective companies so they're not going anywhere ) add GREEDY BOY PROMOTIONS to the equation also.

My issue withe latter is that "they" specifically said they were involved to CHANGE boxing and they're doing exactly the same thing if not worse with terrible undercards overall on their big events.

I personally don't have a problem with PPV for PPV worthy events. I think honestly, legitmately there were maybe 3 at best that are PPV worthy in general (this year

May vs DLH, May vs. Hatton, maybe Mosley vs Cotto and thats a huge MAYBE).

But how do you get word to these companies add in Shaw, Warriors, etc that they need to create some USA tuesday night fights (those were the days), ESPN boxing or make a deal with SPIKE TV show type of coverage???

I'm not into MMA at all but I give that sport a ton of credit in how it exposes itself to the masses and when its PPV time, has reasonable priced PPVs that one can easily go to a bar and view also. I asked my local chain bar that buys commercial licenses for MMA why don't htey buy boxing. they said "it's too much". They told me that boxing ones are generally 3 times or more higher than MMA/UFC ones..

I'm going to see if these respective companies have "CONTACT US" links..

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.