Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2K Boxing Game
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Tha Docta
not sure if anyone else cares, but damn ive been waiting for another boxing game to drop since EA's last fight night game. Not sure how many people on here are gamers, but this is some good news. any else psyched about this??
Chi-Town
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Dec 10 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]369809[/snapback]
not sure if anyone else cares, but damn ive been waiting for another boxing game to drop since EA's last fight night game. Not sure how many people on here are gamers, but this is some good news. any else psyched about this??

What game? I haven't heard about one
Tha Docta
its on the main page. top story. i heard that 2k was coming out with a game, but this is the official announcement.
Maxy
QUOTE(Tha Docta @ Dec 10 2007, 04:26 PM) [snapback]369809[/snapback]

I read this today about the game. Sounds like it could be very good...I hope so. Think this thread should be in the general forum though.

Anyway.

Don King Presents: Prizefighter is apparently "the most realistic boxing video game simulation", according to 2K Sports.

It's also said, "This in-depth, documentary-style title will provide the deepest, most authentic and entertaining experience ever seen in a boxing video game."

Prizefighter's currently in development at Venom Games - behind Rocky Legends and, technically, Rocky (Venom Games boasts ex Rage staffers amongst its ranks) - for Xbox 360, Wii and DS and is due next spring.

According to first details on the game players, in addition to punching faces, will establish a boxing career, train and promote. Ultimately the goal is to win and defend the title belt, we're informed, with a central storyline knitting things together.

Quite if legendary crazy-haired boxing promoter Don King is involved beyond his name being used in the title isn't explained, but he has offered this quote on the game:

"In all my years working in professional boxing, I have never seen anything come as close to recreating the thrill, the intensity, the courage and the spectacle of the sport.

"Don King Presents: Prizefighter is more than a game - it is a glimpse at what life is like in and out of the ring for these incredible athletes."
STEVENSKI
I wonder if you can make under the table kickbacks to guys like Suleman for a title shot & defend against bums on PPV for big money whilst ducking the legit contenders?

If you get in trouble then it is OK because you will win a split decision or get a draw. Once you are of no use to your promoter you can be used as fodder for the next generation of up & comers?

Or better still can you buck the system & not pay the kickbacks & get bad decisions & quick stoppages on your resume whilst performing in PPV undercards that are not televised.

They could make it a action RPG & you get a ho of a wife who divorces you & you can smoke crack with your trainer & father before serving time for rape. I eman they want to make it a simulation don't they?
Maxy
QUOTE(STEVENSKI @ Dec 10 2007, 05:12 PM) [snapback]369827[/snapback]
I wonder if you can make under the table kickbacks to guys like Suleman for a title shot & defend against bums on PPV for big money whilst ducking the legit contenders?

If you get in trouble then it is OK because you will win a split decision or get a draw. Once you are of no use to your promoter you can be used as fodder for the next generation of up & comers?

Or better still can you buck the system & not pay the kickbacks & get bad decisions & quick stoppages on your resume whilst performing in PPV undercards that are not televised.

They could make it a action RPG & you get a ho of a wife who divorces you & you can smoke crack with your trainer & father before serving time for rape. I eman they want to make it a simulation don't they?

Sounds like a bloody good idea. Straight up.
STEVENSKI
They could make it a sick RPG. Do you take the high moral ground & earn you shot or do you fight bums & pay kickbacks getting on PPV undercards in your early career taking the route to darkness.

They could really make it quite good. Once you become a success do you get rid of your loyal trainer who took you from the streets to glory or do you stick with him because he will protect you from the sharks circling?

Moral dilemmas

Do you bang that stripper in Vegas the night before your title fight or do you get a good nights sleep?

Smoke that crack with Snr or get a real trainer who speaks English?

Are you a fatty who struggles to make weight because you are in a artificially low weight class?

Do you beat another man so badly you disable him due to referee incompetance & how heavily does it weigh on your concience for future fights?

I should write a story & get a game made I think.
dbdbdb
I wish someone would make a good one for the PC ....... You know, for those of us who don't have an XBox, Xbox360 or PS1, 2, or 3. cool.gif
The CEO
Triple db...who is THAT in your avatar?

CRACK!...BOOOIIING!....SPLAT!

The CEO
laugh.gif

That chic looks great too by the way....
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 10 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]369841[/snapback]

That is Ricky Hatton. He used to be undefeated until he fought the P4P best. You should do some research on Hatton , he'd probably be one of your favorites thumbsup_anim.gif
The CEO
That's riiiight....Ricky Hatton. I remember him.

laugh.gif

Y'all didn't think I would go 100% Class and let it go without a FEW cheap shots, did ya?
The CEO
Maybe they could add that scenario to STEVEN's great concept...

It could be a Signature Move....they could call it "The Check Up".

STEVENSKI
How about taking out full page ads in respected publications & then being "awarded" their championship belt?

Or starting up a promotions company in your twilight years & ripping off the fans & fighters with overpriced PPV fights & shitty undercards?

dbdbdb
QUOTE(The C.E.O. @ Dec 10 2007, 05:53 PM) [snapback]369841[/snapback]

QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 10 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]369849[/snapback]
That is Ricky Hatton. He used to be undefeated until he fought the P4P best. You should do some research on Hatton , he'd probably be one of your favorites thumbsup_anim.gif

You guys are a RIOT!!!

Vida Guerra is her name {I wish I could find a Fathead poster of her} But, my girl would pop a cork if she saw that hanging on the wall. So all I can do is wish laugh.gif
The CEO
Oh that's HER?...Vida's a nice piece...it didn't look like her from here...that pic makes her look like a superstar....
flazi
EA is dropping fight night
BigG
Fight Night 2004 was nice...then it went downhill.
The Original MrFactor
I read that EASPORTS wasnt doing another one. I read that 2k was gonna pick up the boxing sims from here. The next one would be called HBO's Boxing After Dark. It would feature either Mayweather or Jermaine Taylor on the cover.
Fitz
That's a shame. 2k better make a decent boxing game though.
singletrack
The greatest boxing game ever was ABC's Wide World of Sports Boxing for PC. I use to play it on a 15Mhz 386SX.

2k has some good games and some totally shitty ones. The thing that kills me about the EA game for 360 is that the mechanics are decent, the graphics are insane, and everything else chugs. I remember reading an interview with the lead designer or producer or whatever, and he seemed like a total tool. Dressed up in the latest in cookie cutter fashion (picture included in article of course)...obviously not a boxing fan.. Guess that's the result you get - pretty on the surface - zero depth.
STEVENSKI
QUOTE(The Original MrFactor @ Dec 18 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]371165[/snapback]
I read that EASPORTS wasnt doing another one. I read that 2k was gonna pick up the boxing sims from here. The next one would be called HBO's Boxing After Dark. It would feature either Mayweather or Jermaine Taylor on the cover.

So I take it that backwards sprints will be a major feature of the game or you will gas out after 2 rounds before getting KO'd?
Mean Mister Mustard
Over at IGN there are 2 screenshots of the game. Calzaghe is in it.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'll post a link when I damn well feel like it, thank you very much.

Oh, I feel like it now.

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=24354

LOL, notice Ponce De Leon's wide swings.
BigG
They have Ponce knocking out Darchinnyan?

Those are two guys I'll enjoy knocking out in the game. thumbsup_anim.gif
Method
I could be wrong here, Factor, but I believe EA IS going to continue with the franchise. Whenever I buy games from EB, they sned me some Game Insider mag subscrip, one of the recent issues I received mentioned the whole situation, and I believe the title of the article was misleading. Basically, EA CHicago is the studio that produces Fight Bight, and, according to the article, EA is closing that studio, and going to re route those duties to one of its other studios (in Canada, I believe). At first I thought they were sacking the game, because the title of the article read, "EA Gives up on Fight Night something or other". You had to wade through it all to get the info right.

All that said, a boxing title could be SO GREAT if someone would just put first rate effort into it.

With Electronic Arts getting exclusive rights to develop sports games using the major leagues and players, they almost don't have to worry about whether the game is great or not, because they are the only game in town. In my opinion, EA just does enough to get by anymore.

And yeah, sure it's great to have 2K, because really, they develop solid sports games, but when they don't have access to the real franchises or players (more specifically), it's always gonna keep some of the luster off the stone.

Add to this preexiisting dillemma DON KING, and we're likely to see a game with only Don King fighters. Be prepared for a game with only Zab Judah, Felix Trinidad, William Joppy, Keith Holmes and Mike Tyson.

EA could make a sick boxing game. Make the thing 60 fps. More exciting venues. Real trainers. Better, more realistic live ringside commentary (NHL ' 08 as a benchmark, its SICK), etc.
KookedKrack
aside from joan guzman that list is atrocious
BigG
Horrible roster. Especially the Welterweight roster.

Who the fuck is Ivan Kirpa?
sTotheR
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Apr 27 2008, 12:37 PM) [snapback]387792[/snapback]
Horrible roster. Especially the Welterweight roster.

Who the fuck is Ivan Kirpa?

Yea that is pretty bad. Hopefully they will do like they do on their college bball and nba games and have created player system with name database so you can create everybody that is missing.
CyruS
Horrible roster.

Gameplay better be on point to make up for it. As well as a great create-a-boxer.

Method
The roster probably sucks because EA may have those other guys under contract. Who knows.
Mean Mister Mustard
I'm outraged that Jameel McCline was not included.

Knockout Kings 2001 is still the best boxing game created.
Tha Docta
boxing game rosters will always be a crap shoot. no players union to go too and sign up a bunch of people at once. they have to sign each fighter individually, and I imagine that is a real pain in the ass.

i think the roster is alright. if the gameplay is good then the roster really wont matter. i heard the game has a good cab feature so making other fighters should be possible. i think 2k is throwing in a bunch of created fighters as well so there should be plenty to choose from.

i dont even touch fight night anymore. the game has great graphics but was so poorly thought out that it has almost no replay value. if 2k gets the game right, i will be playing it for a while.
KookedKrack
QUOTE(Fitz @ Apr 27 2008, 10:58 PM) [snapback]387860[/snapback]
Do they know that a straight right can also be devastating? It's not just a right handed jab.

that is what i hated the most straight right hand does as much damage as a fucking jab?
Fitz
A review of Prizefighter.

Don King Presents: Prizefighter Preview
We go hands on with the game and talk to the executive producer about the game.
PALGN recently had a chance to go hands on with the Xbox 360 version of Don King Presents: Prizefighter, which is in development at Venom Games, the team who brought us the Rocky series. Prizefighter is 2K Sports newest sports franchise and is clearly 2K's answer to the current king of boxing games, EA Sports Fight Night.

The first thing we noticed while hands on with the game was that Prizefighter has a control setup that is sure to confuse veteran Fight Night players. Instead of using the right analog stick to control the various attacks on offer, you now use the X, A, B and Y buttons instead, with the right analog stick controlling the defence. Admittedly, it is initially a little off putting, however once you are accustomed to the controls, you feel right at home and, arguably, more comfortable as using the buttons felt far more responsive when on the attack.

There are also some modifiers put into the mix as well. Holding down the right trigger and pressing any of the attack buttons will result in your character punching their opponent dead set into their chest. There are several different modifiers that can be used, but our favourite were the signature hits. Once you've filled your adrenaline bar up completely you hold the left bumper down and press any of the main buttons and your boxer will launch a killer punch that is difficult to block. There are several signature hits and each character in the game has their own signature hit.

Aside from the main boxing aspect of the game, Prizefighter also has a training mode, which allows the player to increase the stats of their career mode character through several mini-games. These mini-games range from Guitar Hero-esque style button timings where you have to hit the right button on screen at the right times to make your character skip the rope quicker, to rapid button presses in order to make your character run faster in Shuttle Running. All of these different training modes aid in increasing a certain stat in your character, and are suprisingly fun and addictive.

Interestingly enough however, excessive training can actually be a detriment in Prizefighter's career mode, which seems to be the focal point of the game. The Career Mode follows your character through a documentary-like story, where certain boxers are interviewed and talk about the progression of your character and whatnot. It's not only boxers however, as the game also introduces girlfriends and even former girlfriends, so the career mode has a certain level of immersion. As you progress, you must train in order to become stronger in attributes, however you also have to balance this aspect with media coverage, which includes the dating of girls and such. It's not essential that you do this, as you can train all you want and completely ignore the media, or the other way around, but it's certainly an interesting feature and mixes things up in the single player mode.

Technically the game holds up fairly well on the Xbox 360. Comparitively to Fight Night Round 3, character models didn't seem to be as sharp or detailed, but the overall consistency of everything seems to outdo Fight Night, as everything has a similar level of detail and nothing feels out of place. Animations are fairly good and thankfully look more fluid and less robotic. It's certainly not a show stopper, but Prizefighter looks like it will get the job done. The soundtrack however looks like it is going to shine though, as there's a large selection of musicians to pick from, and you can even customize what song you'd want played for your character when he enters the ring. It's a small, but decent addition to the game which gives you just that little bit more customizability in creating your own character.

We also had a chance to speak to executive producer Matthew Seymour about Don King Presents Prizefighter.

PALGN: Thank you for speaking to PALGN.

Matthew Seymour: You're welcome!

PALGN: To begin with, what do you think of your competitor's franchise, Fight Night and how do you feel you have improved upon the franchise with your own game?

MS: Well I think EA have done a fantastic job with Fight Night. Visually it looks stunning and there are lots of things they've done right. However, I always felt that their single player experience was a little shallow, and Fight Night always felt more for hardcore gamers in that respect. With Prizefighter, we're trying to broaden that audience to reach a hardcore and casual market, and that's why we've added so much into our Career Mode, which plays like a documentary and really puts you into the game. We've also done a lot of things in Multiplayer that we feel has bested EAs franchise, and this in turn will help capture the more casual market.

PALGN: Will we ever see this game on the PlayStation 3 for Sony fans to enjoy?

MS: It's definitely on the cards, however as of this moment it's only to be released on Xbox 360, Wii and the DS. We initially started work on the Xbox 360 first and our PS3 devkits came too late down the track for us to begin work. However it's certainly something that is on the cards and is possible in the future.

PALGN: Will the Wii version coming later on in the year support full online play?

MS: I cannot confirm whether it will be part of the game or not at this point in time.

PALGN: How many hours of gameplay could we expect from the Single Player mode, and will there be special extras to unlock in order to sustain a good amount of replayability?

MS: For a casual gamer the main Career Mode would last about 15 to 20 hours, assuming you're a decent player. As you progress you'll unlock 'classic' matches where you'll be able to fight as famous boxers from years ago and have those dream matches. Also depending on how well you do in the Career Mode, you may unlock different matches and other things which I won't delve into. So for the hardcore gamers and completionist, you could be playing this game for a good while before you unlock absolutely everything.

PALGN: And finally, will Don King make an appearance in-game?

MS: Yes, definitely! His hair took an entire team of guys to recreate! [laughs]

PALGN: Thank you very much for your time!

MS: Was a pleasure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.