Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Much is PPV Hurting Boxing?
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Jack 1000
Reflections on PPV boxing,

A lot of people got their money's worth on Saturday night's PPV, that's cool by me. Kudos to Mayweather. I still hate the guy as a person, but he gave the fans an entertaining fight.

For me, as I have done with all (or I'll say 75% of PPV's.) I passed on the fight. I expected more of a Mayweather-Delahoya type of match, which I also didn't buy for one very good reason. The $60 that is being charged ($54.95+tax) is simply too much money to have to dish out for a fight. ANY FIGHT.

This wouldn't be so bad if cable rates weren't so insane as it is. I am happy with my cable. (although a new "upgrade" to an onscreen guide called Navigator upcoming sometime before the end of the year and sometime in January has me concerned because of sporadic performance throughout the country.) I also get in addition to digital cable, high speed Road Runner Internet service, Digital phone, and DVR. (DVR........THE BEST thing about cable period.) The problem is that all of that stuff has a price, $175.00/mo with about an $8.00 increase from last year.

My question is with the economic times as it is and with cable rates going up (as well as Dish) how long do you guys think it will be before PPV fights reach a $65, $75, $90, $100 subscription rate? At what point is it reached where the subscriber says, "I love boxing, but I just can't do this anymore." How much do you believe the big fights on PPV would have a higher buy rate if they had a $40 maximum price? (This is what I think all PPV big fights should be.) Everyone could still make millions and get a higher buy rate at the same time.

The issue is just not knowing how good a fight is going to turn out. Since so much revenue goes into advertising the undercards are often just there to fill time. I read that last nights undercard was pretty dull. What that essentially means is that viewers are being asked to put $50-$60 into one fight. What would happen for example if only the main event to a big fight was offered at a cost of $25 dollars? Boxing hasn't had very stellar PPV undercards since Don King's days of 3-4 world title fights on the same card! But with the increased costs, where do you draw the line?

Jack
Hodge
I think to an extent it is doing some damage, but there is boxing just about everywhere. Boxing as a whole in the U.S. is down, because the amatuer system is not as prominant as it once was. Amatuer boxers were praised and boxing was important in the Olympics. Stars in boxing came from the Olympics and were on display on ABC and all of that good stuff.

As for exposure on television, you have to have cable to watch meaningful fights. Greed of the boxers also hinders the cards. I don't see why Golden Boy with their roster is not able to put on blockbuster cards with Shane, Hopkins and Marquez all on the bill. Who wouldn't watch that?
Lil-lightsout
It cost me $64.95 because I got it in HD. The main event did not disappoint, but the undercard was very lacking. I kind of wish I would have passed on this one, because it was not worth the price. PPV's are way out of control, either they are too expensive, or there is just garbage match-ups that they try to feed us threw PPV which should be on free tv. Undercards are almost always a second thought, I too sure miss Don King PPV's, they were usually put together real well. You also mentioned about how how cable bills have gone up with all the extras and high speed internet. For me personally, I definately do not order fights as much. There are way too many these days, and quality is always lacking. I don't see things getting any better either. I would have passed on Mayweather-Hatton, but that damn 24/7 show on HBO really did it for me.
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
PPV's are definitely out of control. However, it isn't the promoters fault. HBO and Showtime keep having limited dates, and these promoters have fighters under contract to fight a certain amount of times. It's unfortunate, but sometimes the only place to put these fighters is on PPV. The small PPV shows are not the shows I'm going to gripe about though. PPV shows like the one next week get young fighters in the ring, and usually dont have a lot of hype around them. Cotto did it a lot during the early part of his career, and Cristian Mijares had a small ppv show this year too. I think HBO and Showtime should cut down on the "big" fights on PPV. Mayorga-Vargas, , Barrera-Pac 2, Morales-Diaz, and Hopkins-Wright shouldn't of been on PPV. Thos are HBO and Showtime fights that could of drew viewers in. Especially Mayorga-Vargas and Morales-Diaz which were good fights. As we head into the new year, it just seems to get worse. The first three months of 08 we have 3 HBOPPV events. It's getting to a point now where everything is going to end up on PPV. Hopefully this trend does not continue, but so far its not going that way.
Kyle
kidbazooka1
We need Wide World of Sports back.
re-bee-becca
only cost me 15.95?!!! Well worth it!
Col Reb
Where is the interest from network TV? Is it the greed of boxing or lack of interest from network TV that keeps us from having these fights on primetime in a majority of homes? If the NFL does not feel it is too special to put the playoffs and Superbowl on primetime network TV, why should boxing act differently? The advertising dollars should be there, so they'd still make money, plus there would be a ton more for fighters in endorsements when they become household names.
falvoa
I love boxing, but unfortunately I can hardly watch fights anymore becuz I don't have premium cable and I can't afford the PPVs. I only way I see fights is going to friends houses to see the PPVs (if they get them) or going to folks houses to see fights on HBO. Shit, I don't even get ESPNclassic anymore. It would be a dream for me if they stopped with this CONTENDER SHIT and instead found someway to at least replay fights on regular TV. But thats jus a dream I guess.

aggressive.gif
WolfishPromistah
Yeah, it's hard to get folks to even pitch in sometimes for fights. I mean, you'd figure that you could do it by having a few folks over, where you all can split the bill. But I remember this one girl had it at her house, and as soon as people heard she was charging, nobody showed. Now all the times the same girl had folks over for free, cooking food and everything; yet the regular crowd decided to have their fun elsewhere. Hey, but I guess I'm guilty too; after all, it's not like I pressed the dudes I was with to take me out of the way we were going to her place that night instead -- not when we all went to another one where there wasn't a charge, and food still.
BGv2.0
The shit is WAY past out of control....it's a total joke.

Pavlik/Taylor I for the title was on "free" HBO......yet the NON-TITLE rematch is now PPV!

WTF????
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN
Taylor-Pavlik 2 is going to be fought at a catchweight of 166. I guess Taylor is having a hard time making the weight. And yes, I do think its BS that this fight is on PPV. I wouldnt be surprised if it tanked on PPV either. Neither of these guys have sold a PPV event by themselves, and Taylor was on PPV against Hopkins who was known. Pavlik just started fighting on HBO a year ago for christ sake. Im pretty sure Arum won't be happy with the results of this one.
Kyle
dbdbdb
QUOTE(kidbazooka1 @ Dec 11 2007, 01:03 AM) [snapback]369940[/snapback]
We need Wide World of Sports back.

YES!!!!!! thumbsup_anim.gif Wide World of Sports was all that back in the day. They were averaging 1-2 fights per month.

QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 11 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]370036[/snapback]

Pavlik/Taylor I for the title was on "free" HBO......yet the NON-TITLE rematch is now PPV!

WTF????

If its a non-title bout, then how can they justify PPV??? You're absolutely right "The shit is WAY past out of control....it's a total joke.:"

Even though I get a nice discount, because of my employer. PPV is way too high. And I don't mind PPV for championship fights, but the non-title fights should be on regular TV or ESPN or some other venue.

BTW, WHY THE HELL IS TAYLOR FIGHTING PAVLIK AGAIN WITHOUT THE TITLES BEING ON THE LINE. fREAKIN MAKE WEIGHT OF DON'T GO AHEAD WITH THE FIGHT .............. STUPID!!!!!!!
jlupi
I consider myself a big boxing fan.

I have not odered ppv in abou 2 years now. they have become too expensive and they happen too often. Im not hurting for money but the over $50 thing just got me to say "no more".

Now If I wont buy a fight like MW vs Hatton, which i was dying to see, imagin all the casual sports fans that passed on it. People that could become hard core fans.

I am now hearing from some friends that buy every UFC PPV, which are cheaper than boxing, that are starting to second guess this practice as many of the fights are not as high profile and they throw out 1 a month. All I can say is welcome to my world.
jlupi
I do have to say that although its mostly older fights boxing is being shone a lot on cable channels. I can find a match to watch practicly every day. Not too long ago there was nothing but maybe 1 weekly show
Jack 1000
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 11 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]370036[/snapback]

WTF????

Cosign!!! Shit!!! I forgot that this is going to be a catch-weight NON-TITLE bout on PPV! So that means that we will have to pay $50 for what could be a 10-round bout?!!! Are they fucking kidding with this shit?

Jack
Jack 1000
Just to add to this,

The WBC at their convention was getting ready to vote and sanction Pavik-Taylor II for the Middleweight Championship and all of the delegates agreed that was the fight that everyone wanted to see. But than, someone mentioned that Taylor couldn't make the 160# weight at that it would be a non-title fight. (I think it was one of Taylor's management. It might have been Dibella, not sure.) All of the delegates thought that was absolutely ridiculous, one said, "How can they do a fight of this magnitude without the title on the line?" Which echos the opinions of much of the boxing community.

The WBC has certainly had their share of controversy in the past. But in recent years, they have become the most "open" and willing to listen to community input and suggestions. Next year at the convention, they are going to do a new ratings system, which they plan to use beginning in 2009 based on community input. I have contacted them in the past several times and have always found them to be very helpful in terms of community involvement.

But what this shows is that if international federations believe that this fight should be for the title, since it is going to be a non-title bout, HBO should get it through their greedy thick heads that this bout would do much better on HBO Word Championship Boxing, than on HBO PPV.

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.