Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maskaev Peter
FightHype Community > BOXING HYPE > Boxing
Nay_Sayer
What happens if DK can't secure a site? It's only seven weeks before the fight is scheduled to take place...
Spreadking3rd
The Don will find a place.

I'm sure the time lapse will hurt the overall gate.....unless he puts it in a hotbed !

how about Chicago with Golota on the undercard. Great fight city.

Don will work it out.
Nay_Sayer
^ Humor me.

What happens if the DK can't find a suitable site? Are we talking lawsuits here? Or is it simply a matter of selecting a new date?

And I agree, Chicago would be a great place to host that fight...
Spreadking3rd
i'll humor us

I'm sure one of the fighters teams will protest to the WBC that King hasn't gotten a site.

This will be a WBC decision to strip King of his promtions rights.......but they won't do that.

The fight would get pushed back i'm sure if no site is set-up in time.
Jack 1000
I don't think there is need to worry about King not being able to find a fight site. In theory, he could do that within days!

I'd be worried about Peter's chin after that near disaster against "I don't know how to finish off a hurt guy" McCline. Maybe in a way this is good, because if McCline wasn't so much of a "sparring partner syndrome" fighter, we would be looking at Maskiev-McCline now.................UGGHHH! I am still trying to figure out what is so great about Maskiev to get him such a high ranking in the WBC? You can't blame them too much because the heavyweight division really is THAT bad.

Jack
JD
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 15 2007, 03:05 PM) [snapback]370721[/snapback]
I am still trying to figure out what is so great about Maskiev to get him such a high ranking in the WBC?

Jack

Nothing to figure out, he is the interim champ.

Rahman beat Meehan in an eliminator, than he beat Barrett for the interim strap - and 2 fights later lost it to Maskaev. Maskaev beat Sam for the Intercontinental title, and get a shot at the interim title against Rahman and beat him.
Big Slim Sweet
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 15 2007, 04:05 PM) [snapback]370721[/snapback]
I am still trying to figure out what is so great about Maskiev to get him such a high ranking in the WBC?

Pretty short memory there Jack.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Big Slim @ Dec 15 2007, 07:03 PM) [snapback]370748[/snapback]
Pretty short memory there Jack.

Hahahaha! JD cleared up everything. But let's face it, the list of how Maskiev got there is more forgettable by most than memorable. I will give Maskiev a better chance against Peter, as Sam's chin was "exposed" in the McCline fight. Early indications have me thinking Peter by decision. But it seems that when you least expect it, Peter has a tough time. So based on this reasoning, it would NOT surprise me if Peter lost.

Jack

PS. Now Vitali still has that Champion Emeritus belt, so presuming that he is well enough to fight as I understand it, he will get first crack at the winner.
Spreadking3rd
There is talk about it landing in Cancun, Mexico

The city of Cancun like the PPV this weekend and wants more boxing.

That's cool with me....I really enjoyed the PPV

a lot more than I would have Mayweather-Hatton.

That tells me i'm way too much into boxing
buford54
If Vitali is fit to fight, he will knock out the winner of this fight, so I don't see it as that important.
As much as I like him, I had a feeling that Peter wouldn't live up to the hype.
He got a gift against Toney in the first fight, and looked good in the rematch...but the reason he looked good is that he learned that Toney can't punch like a HW. So he would stand and counter Toney's looping right with a short left hook and everybody thought that he had become a master counter puncher.
I can tell you from experience, taking a shot from a fat former middleweight, and taking a shot from a guy who as in shape 6'6" is a world of difference. When Peter tried his new "trick" against a legit HW, he almost got knocked out.
The only thing that remains to be seen is whether he has become any more timid since realizing that he can be knocked down now. I don't know if Maskaev is the guy to do it, but either Klitschko will end Peter's reign.
singletrack
QUOTE(buford54 @ Dec 17 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]370969[/snapback]
If Vitali is fit to fight, he will knock out the winner of this fight, so I don't see it as that important.
As much as I like him, I had a feeling that Peter wouldn't live up to the hype.
He got a gift against Toney in the first fight, and looked good in the rematch...but the reason he looked good is that he learned that Toney can't punch like a HW. So he would stand and counter Toney's looping right with a short left hook and everybody thought that he had become a master counter puncher.
I can tell you from experience, taking a shot from a fat former middleweight, and taking a shot from a guy who as in shape 6'6" is a world of difference. When Peter tried his new "trick" against a legit HW, he almost got knocked out.
The only thing that remains to be seen is whether he has become any more timid since realizing that he can be knocked down now. I don't know if Maskaev is the guy to do it, but either Klitschko will end Peter's reign.

Wlad couldn't KO him the first time, so I'm not so sure why you think it is a clinch that him or his gimpy, older brother will do it now. What am I missing? Also, McCline is a BIG dude and he's on steroids, so it doesn't surprise me that he has big power. You also have to account for the fact that Sam was training for Maskaev and then McCline was thrown in at the last minute. I'm sure Sam learned a big lesson in that fight. He dominated with his jab after the initial storm from McCline.

Maskaev is a LOT smaller than McCline and I think Peter will dominate the fight and have a good chance of knocking him out.

He needs better conditioning and coaching to beat Wlad. I'll reserve my prediction until after the Maskaev fight.
BGv2.0
With this matchup....I don't think anything is certain.

My head tells me that despite his recent showing Peter SHOULD win this fight.....but unlike many people, I give Oleg his credit....he's a veteran that has been in the game for a long time and is capable of pulling off a victory.

There is no doubt in my mind he hits harder than McCline...but is not nearly the physical size of McCline....so it's not a given he will have the same results with Peter.

Throughout his entire career Oleg is an up and down type fighter......getting impressive wins...but then losing very winnable bouts.....AND fighting guys like Tua and McCall within his first few professional fights....the guy has been around.

to me....based on that fact...plus Peter's last outing....this is a 50-50 pick 'em fight IMHO.

As for Vitali's shot after......I'd pick both Peter or Oleg to get the win....the guy's body seems to be broken down...but more important than that is the simple fact of MAJOR inactivity.

I don't care what the physical matchup is....you give me a guy that has been active verses a guy that's been out of the ring for 3-4 years.....I'm gonna go with the active fighter as long as he is not a total scrub....which neither Peter OR Oleg seems to be.

Vitali needs a tuneup or two before taking his shot to get the best results IMHO.
buford54
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 18 2007, 01:28 PM) [snapback]371080[/snapback]
Wlad couldn't KO him the first time, so I'm not so sure why you think it is a clinch that him or his gimpy, older brother will do it now. What am I missing? Also, McCline is a BIG dude and he's on steroids, so it doesn't surprise me that he has big power. You also have to account for the fact that Sam was training for Maskaev and then McCline was thrown in at the last minute. I'm sure Sam learned a big lesson in that fight. He dominated with his jab after the initial storm from McCline.

Maskaev is a LOT smaller than McCline and I think Peter will dominate the fight and have a good chance of knocking him out.

He needs better conditioning and coaching to beat Wlad. I'll reserve my prediction until after the Maskaev fight.

McCline has big power? What am I missing? He only knocks out no-names...or he loses.
If anything, he's been known as a guy who should have big power but won't sit on his punches. Hence why Wladimir Klitschko knocks out Chris Byrd, but McCline gets outboxed by him.
Anyway, Vitali is an awkward dude who hits hard. He takes a wide stance and leans backward out of harms way. He gets caught doing it sometimes (Lewis and Sanders hit him as hard/harder than Peter ever will...but they are almost as tall as he is). But Vitali has proven he's got a chin like rock.
He'll keep his jab in Peter's face and lean in with his right. Peter will try to wing big shots, and Vitali will catch him and finish him off once he does. McCline doesn't have finishing skills, and Wlad also is hesitant, because he has no chin.
Vitali has one mindset...land the big right and then kill him. Against someone like Peter, that's what you need.
Peter's best shot against Vitali is to have someone hit his back with a baseball bat during his ring entrance. If they get into the ring, barring injury, I would pick Vitali by KO within the first half of the fight.
singletrack
QUOTE(buford54 @ Dec 18 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]371084[/snapback]
McCline has big power? What am I missing? He only knocks out no-names...or he loses.

You're missing the fact that he has big power. You could see that with the shots that he managed to land. Almost all heavyweights have the ability to knock each other out, and that is certainly the case with a guy as huge as McCline.

If anything, he's been known as a guy who should have big power but won't sit on his punches. Hence why Wladimir Klitschko knocks out Chris Byrd, but McCline gets outboxed by him.
I agree, but I think he showed that he had power in that fight. Wlad landed some big shots that wobbled Sam in their fight, but he couldn't put him down.

Anyway, Vitali is an awkward dude who hits hard. He takes a wide stance and leans backward out of harms way. He gets caught doing it sometimes (Lewis and Sanders hit him as hard/harder than Peter ever will...but they are almost as tall as he is). But Vitali has proven he's got a chin like rock.
He'll keep his jab in Peter's face and lean in with his right. Peter will try to wing big shots, and Vitali will catch him and finish him off once he does. McCline doesn't have finishing skills, and Wlad also is hesitant, because he has no chin.
Vitali has one mindset...land the big right and then kill him. Against someone like Peter, that's what you need.
Peter's best shot against Vitali is to have someone hit his back with a baseball bat during his ring entrance. If they get into the ring, barring injury, I would pick Vitali by KO within the first half of the fight.

Like you, I'm not sure that Vitali will ever make it into the ring injury free. But it could certainly go down like you say. The problem with your prediction is that Vitali has been off a LOOOONG time, Peter is extremely strong, and Vitali injures easily. There is no way I would confidently pick Vitali to do anything. I think he is a total question mark because of the layoff and physical issues. I do severely doubt that he will just jump in there with a guy like Sam and look like his old self.

buford54
QUOTE(singletrack @ Dec 18 2007, 02:00 PM) [snapback]371086[/snapback]
You're missing the fact that he has big power. You could see that with the shots that he managed to land. Almost all heavyweights have the ability to knock each other out, and that is certainly the case with a guy as huge as McCline.

I agree, but I think he showed that he had power in that fight. Wlad landed some big shots that wobbled Sam in their fight, but he couldn't put him down.
Like you, I'm not sure that Vitali will ever make it into the ring injury free. But it could certainly go down like you say. The problem with your prediction is that Vitali has been off a LOOOONG time, Peter is extremely strong, and Vitali injures easily. There is no way I would confidently pick Vitali to do anything. I think he is a total question mark because of the layoff and physical issues. I do severely doubt that he will just jump in there with a guy like Sam and look like his old self.

I see what your saying, and it's very true that almost any HW can knock out any other HW, simply because of their size. Just for his size, McCline has never fought like he's big and never really sat on his punches. He did that more w/ Peter then he ever had before, but it gassed him...hence why he had never fought that way before and why he lost the fight.
You're absolutely right about Vitali. My thought with him, is that his style is exactly what it is and it's not going to change. Sure he can get rusty, but his style is almost so basic that I don't know if ring-rust will affect him the way it would a James Toney, who stands right their absorbing and slipping shots, or Roy Jones, who relies entirely on his speed and reflexes to avoid getting hit.
Vitali relies entirely on his size and strength. His size isn't going to change, and his strength probably isn't either. He may gas out a few rounds earlier, or he may get caught with a shot or two that he wouldn't have otherwise, but if his chin stays intact, I think he would get Peter out kind of quick. If McCline almost did it in rounds 2 or 3, I think Vitali could do the same.

Wlad wobbled him but couldn't put him down because Emmanuel Steward has trained him to fight defensively...and with good reason...as soon as his chin feels a slight breeze, he starts tripping over his own feet to get away and ends up on the canvas.
He shook Peter good, but didn't follow up because he didn't want to gas out like he did against Brewster, and didn't want to get caught by a big shot like he did against Sanders.
I would pick Wlad by UD/late TKO and Vitali by early-mid KO.

singletrack
QUOTE(buford54 @ Dec 18 2007, 02:17 PM) [snapback]371087[/snapback]
I see what your saying, and it's very true that almost any HW can knock out any other HW, simply because of their size. Just for his size, McCline has never fought like he's big and never really sat on his punches. He did that more w/ Peter then he ever had before, but it gassed him...hence why he had never fought that way before and why he lost the fight.
You're absolutely right about Vitali. My thought with him, is that his style is exactly what it is and it's not going to change. Sure he can get rusty, but his style is almost so basic that I don't know if ring-rust will affect him the way it would a James Toney, who stands right their absorbing and slipping shots, or Roy Jones, who relies entirely on his speed and reflexes to avoid getting hit.
Vitali relies entirely on his size and strength. His size isn't going to change, and his strength probably isn't either. He may gas out a few rounds earlier, or he may get caught with a shot or two that he wouldn't have otherwise, but if his chin stays intact, I think he would get Peter out kind of quick. If McCline almost did it in rounds 2 or 3, I think Vitali could do the same.

Wlad wobbled him but couldn't put him down because Emmanuel Steward has trained him to fight defensively...and with good reason...as soon as his chin feels a slight breeze, he starts tripping over his own feet to get away and ends up on the canvas.
He shook Peter good, but didn't follow up because he didn't want to gas out like he did against Brewster, and didn't want to get caught by a big shot like he did against Sanders.
I would pick Wlad by UD/late TKO and Vitali by early-mid KO.

I think it is true that his style is less likely to disintegrate after a layoff than certain styles you mention, but I still think there will be significant rust. Either of the scenarios you outline are totally plausible. It's hard to know how Peter will fight either guy. I think a fight with Wlad, as an example, is going to be drastically different than the first. Peter was totally out of control and nervous. He has more experience now and he actually throws his jab. The latter should setup a lot more opportunities against a guy like Wlad. Like I said, I want to see how he looks against Maskaev to see if he is still improving or if he is getting lazy and complacent.

BGv2.0
In regard to McClines/Vitali's punches on Peter.....

You have to remember...Peter like most of the boxing public....probally thought McCline was going to do his usual scared shitless routine. NOBODY expected his fight with Peter to be the one where Jamel McCline would grow a set of nuts and set down on his punches and NOT fight scared.

Peter does not seem like the type of guy to make that mistake with a well known power puncher like Vitali.

In that matchup....I think he would go in expecting to be hit hard....and that can be the difference a lot of times....I hope he's thinking that with Oleg....because if he's simply thinking of Oleg as a slow old man whose power is gone...I think he might be surprised.
Lil-lightsout
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 18 2007, 03:14 PM) [snapback]371099[/snapback]

You have to remember...Peter like most of the boxing public....probally thought McCline was going to do his usual scared shitless routine. NOBODY expected his fight with Peter to be the one where Jamel McCline would grow a set of nuts and set down on his punches and NOT fight scared.

Peter does not seem like the type of guy to make that mistake with a well known power puncher like Vitali.

In that matchup....I think he would go in expecting to be hit hard....and that can be the difference a lot of times....I hope he's thinking that with Oleg....because if he's simply thinking of Oleg as a slow old man whose power is gone...I think he might be surprised.

Very well put, I agree with you completely. I think Peter will learn from his mistake from Jameel, and should not look past Oleg. I know Oleg probably feels a little more confident after seeing Peter's last fight. I see there fight as an early KO for someone. I favor Peter to win due to Olegs shaky chin, but Maskaev has some good power so you never know. This fight could come down to who takes the better shots.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(Lil-lightsout @ Dec 19 2007, 10:11 PM) [snapback]371390[/snapback]
Very well put, I agree with you completely. I think Peter will learn from his mistake from Jameel, and should not look past Oleg. I know Oleg probably feels a little more confident after seeing Peter's last fight. I see there fight as an early KO for someone. I favor Peter to win due to Olegs shaky chin, but Maskaev has some good power so you never know. This fight could come down to who takes the better shots.

I agree with the above who view this as an almost 50/50 fight. IF Peter struggles with Maskiev, his stock will seriously tumble just as badly as that 2nd round against McCline.

Jack
Jack 1000
It's going to be in Cancun Mexico on March 8th, story here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4332728a1823.html

Jack
stateofthegame
What I cannot understand is why you are talking about Vitali. He is done and will never be anything but a corner man for his brother. Even when he was active he was over-hyped and gained his big following in a fight he lost. Then he beat Jabba the Johnson and an out of shape part-time golfer to be given his title. Then he was allowed to defend the title against Danny Williams who was a bum also. The first time he was told to defend his title against a possible threat (In-shape Rahman) he began his string of injuries.

I also find it funny that preceding these injuries (including this recent one) rumors were everywhere that he was getting owned, dropped, and knocked out in sparring.

As for his brother, I would say he now stops Peter in five rounds or just gives him a "Brewster" beating.
Spreadking3rd
QUOTE(Jack 1000 @ Dec 20 2007, 08:03 PM) [snapback]371530[/snapback]
It's going to be in Cancun Mexico on March 8th, story here:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4332728a1823.html

Jack

I was correct about both....moving the date up, and having it in Cancun.

Showtime should pick it up anyway.....if HBO does....then Showtime really falls in the shitter.

too bad...because they were above HBO for a little bit in 2006
AussieLad
QUOTE(BGv2.0 @ Dec 18 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]371099[/snapback]

I wonder whether McCline actually hurt Olegs chances in the Peter fight. Peter was obviously not concerned about McCline because he usually has about as much spine as a sea slug. If he had gone into the fight with Oleg with that same mind set, he may have got KO'd.

Still makes me shake my head when i think of the McCline fight. What McCline could have done in the sport if he had picked up a spare heart from the wizard of Oz. Peter has a solid chin
BigG
I think McCline would KO Oleg.

Peter should dominate the SLOW Maskaev...and stop him.
Jack 1000
QUOTE(biggeorge89 @ Dec 22 2007, 12:02 AM) [snapback]371752[/snapback]
I think McCline would KO Oleg.

Peter should dominate the SLOW Maskaev...and stop him.

I sort of agree about McCline except I would change that WOULD to COULD. Oleg COULD be stopped by McCline, but McCline has such a "sparring partner syndrome" mentality and gets gassed so easily, that I could see him having anybody in desperate trouble and not being able to finish.

I would also pick Peter to win over Maskiev. But as I said before, anytime we expect Sam to have an easy fight, he has problems. The problems and almost shocking TKO loss to McCline still make this a 50/50 fight. I agree with the above posts on this. Therefore, the conventional wisdom for me is Peter by a late stoppage or decision, but it won't be easy.

Jack
AussieLad
I agree peter should be the obvious favorite. He has the size, youth, power and chin over Oleg. How can you not go with that sort of equation, unless the older opponent is a great fighter which Oleg is not

But look at maskaevs performance vs the rock. I figured that this would have been an easy win for rahman, but for some reason he abondoned the jab. Oleg took alot of punnishment from a big puncher, but showed tremendous heart and used his own considerable power to get a big win

I would pick maskaev over McCline. McCline, even on the best night of his life, always manages to fold.

I dont think peters fight with maskaev will be a cake walk. IF he leaves the chin there to be hit like in his last fight, maskaevs power may give sam some wobbly boot
Big Slim Sweet
I think Peter's going to beat the shit out of Maskaev.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.